Where were ya Saints fans??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We're always making excuses for our own every week for not turning up...bullsh!t! Carlton supporters didn't have any problems getting in the ground last night. Other clubs are getting bigger crowds than us when they play interstate sides or whatever else excuse we make for our own.

We've whinged about time slots,twilight games,lack of friday night games,lack of MCG games,lack of friday night games,playing too many home games against interstate sides. All pesky excuses. Our mass of supporters who aren't going too any games this year(I'm not talking about people who miss the odd week,or have a good excuse) need a kick up the arse! They're letting the club down.

We are 12-0 ,we should have a massive army behind us right now,yet we have bearly a whimper. Last night in a blockbuster you could almost hear the crickets twirping when we kicked a goal. What's going to happen when we go back down the ladder in years to come,we'll be pulling crowds of 12,000 again like the mid 90's. Only in this era it spells doom if you're pulling those figures

It's not good enough. Someone from the club needs to get into the media before the Richmond game and demand the supporters to start turning up again. Get some colour back into the stands,some atmosphere,heaven forbid even make some noise!!!! We're 12 and zip FFS!!!....pathetic effort from our supporter base this year...and I'm angry...sheesh!

Bring back the Lockett era
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Just let me restate this....
ace wrote: But the real problem is our 11 game members with reserved seats, simply don't go to away games if they can't have their regular reserved seat. - Sooks :roll:

Yes my family are 11 game members with reserved seats...

Some here support the players and the club...

others

support the club and the players

there are NO "sooks" here...

My family support the Club by buying a Social Club memberships

by attending Club social functions

by being a player sponsor

all of this extra money that my family give go directly to the Club....

You attend away games and support the players (good for you) but that money goes to the opposition...

There is NO right or WRONG and no one is a "sook"

I choose to support the Club as much as I can in order for the their ultimate success and survival

Whereas others choose to support the Club by membership and attending away matches to support the players

I have chosen just where I would like my hard earned to go and if that differs from you so be it.

But please don't come on here and calling SUPPORTERS like my family "sooks" for not going to away games

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I have a similar package Fid, and worked out that over the course of the year I spend probably 2K all up on footy, but have a ball.

That's all I can afford, and to then spend another $100 for seats, drinks, food etc for away games is a bit steep for me.

Although I did go to the Gold Coast the other week and offer my support. Dunno how many who went last night bothered to go there...

Everyone does their bit I reckon, look at Dools in the CS, pretty much goes everywhere and good on him. Nice young bloke and future of our supporter and membership base.

Would be great to be able to go to every game, but not practicable for me.

If you can get to every game, barrack extra loud for those of us who can't get there, but don't begrudge it.

Oh, and I was there when we were pulling some of the worst ever crowds at Colonial in those ugly days too...as well as Moorabbin and Waverley...

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

jonesy wrote:We're always making excuses for our own every week for not turning up...bullsh!t! Carlton supporters didn't have any problems getting in the ground last night. Other clubs are getting bigger crowds than us when they play interstate sides or whatever else excuse we make for our own.

We've whinged about time slots,twilight games,lack of friday night games,lack of MCG games,lack of friday night games,playing too many home games against interstate sides. All pesky excuses. Our mass of supporters who aren't going too any games this year(I'm not talking about people who miss the odd week,or have a good excuse) need a kick up the arse! They're letting the club down.

We are 12-0 ,we should have a massive army behind us right now,yet we have bearly a whimper. Last night in a blockbuster you could almost hear the crickets twirping when we kicked a goal. What's going to happen when we go back down the ladder in years to come,we'll be pulling crowds of 12,000 again like the mid 90's. Only in this era it spells doom if you're pulling those figures

It's not good enough. Someone from the club needs to get into the media before the Richmond game and demand the supporters to start turning up again. Get some colour back into the stands,some atmosphere,heaven forbid even make some noise!!!! We're 12 and zip FFS!!!....pathetic effort from our supporter base this year...and I'm angry...sheesh!
I do agree with parts of your post, but it is a bit rough.

In regards to how you support the club, money is not everything. It helps, but it also helps to have your fans in the crowd behind you every step of the way whether your are winning or losing.

In regards to the army, maybe not such a bad idea.........what about our own version of the 'Barmy Army'....... :twisted:

Seriously, the noise and attendance needs to go up by at least 50%!!

Why isn't Warne being used to help with the member drive? He is passionate about the Saints and would be the perfect media option for a member drive.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Yeah I have a similar package Fid, and worked out that over the course of the year I spend probably 2K all up on footy, but have a ball.

That's all I can afford, and to then spend another $100 for seats, drinks, food etc for away games is a bit steep for me.

Although I did go to the Gold Coast the other week and offer my support. Dunno how many who went last night bothered to go there...

Everyone does their bit I reckon, look at Dools in the CS, pretty much goes everywhere and good on him. Nice young bloke and future of our supporter and membership base.

Would be great to be able to go to every game, but not practicable for me.

If you can get to every game, barrack extra loud for those of us who can't get there, but don't begrudge it.

Oh, and I was there when we were pulling some of the worst ever crowds at Colonial in those ugly days too...as well as Moorabbin and Waverley...
lol at Waverley, I used to bring Jnr to the games when he was very young and he used to cry his eyes out when we lost the toss, and the crying didn't stop in some games...

agreed, every member does their bit for the Club and players and there is no need to single out members who don't attend away games more so if they give in other ways

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:Piss weak supporters. It's been a problem for while and if you ask me it's because our supporters are a bunch of scared rabbits. Ooooh, i'm worried about this game, it's a danger game, we could lose this one and all sorts of other loser comments. FFS people, you have a good team, get to the game and yell ya farking lungs out.
Spot on Cairnsman, always staggers me when I am in Melb as I have commented many time.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

To be fair, considering the amount of members and reserved seat holders Carlton have, we had a pretty fair attendance.

I was sitting with a (Scum supporting) mate up on L3, around Aisle 10, and actually noticed there was qutie a fair proportion of Saints supporters in my area. I'd hazard a guess and state around a 50-50 breakdown of Carlton/St Kilda supporting people in my immediate vicinity. The noise levels though, were weak and timid, especially when compared to the roar of the Carlton crowd.

As has been stated before in this thread, this is one area where we, as a fan base really need to lift. For a team that is absolutely flying, we should be the noisiest, most arrogant supporters in the whole league. At the moment, we're amongst the quietest and softest. We need to harden up! Especially in tight games, we need to be at our loudest and most supportive to try and will the boys over the line. Every bit from us helps the boys out on the park...

I am a Level 2 reserved seat holder, and am astounded to the amount of people (around 90%) who are content to just sit there, politely applauding a BRILLIANT passage of play or goal, refuse to join in on chants, or encourage the boys when they're going through a bit of a rough patch. I'll yell myself hoarse every time I go to the footy, and have woken up today (as per usual), with a dry cough and a sore throat as a reminder of what I was up to on Friday night!

We need to get the passion back into us all! Fire up and SUPPORT the team we all love. FFS, we're 12 zip, absolutely flying, and the way the majority of us act in the stands you'd mistake us for being out of the match...VOICE! It's a powerful tool, we have to encourage ALL Saints supporters around us. It's a chain reaction, the more people start screaming, the more Saints around will join in!

COME ON LADIES & GENTLEMEN! Use the split round to freshen up the old larynx and come back good as new, and ready to support the boys to our 2nd flag!! :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

The Saints are coming!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:
ace wrote:
But the real problem is our 11 game members with reserved seats, simply don't go to away games if they can't have their regular reserved seat. - Sooks :roll:
Incorrect. We were there & whilst I begrudge paying 1 cent of my hard earned towards Carlton, it's far more important to be there for our boys.
+1

I had a very civilised conversation with a Blues fan walking home off the train last night. Said he never watches losses back but he'd make an exception for last night as it was such a great contest. He has reserved seats on L1 and did mention that he had some "absolute tosser" Saints fans in standing room behind him. Guess all Clubs have em heheh. Was a nice reality check that when push somes to shove..all Clubs have some decent fans....and some tossers too
The Blues fans in my area were pretty good people as well. A couple of lads actually shook my hand when they left (after Zac slotted his goal), and wished us well. for the rest of the season, hoping we could "shut up those arrogant Geelong pricks". Good to see a bit of banter, but nothing unfriendly or spiteful There was actually a bit of discussion pre-game about certain match-ups and how both sides are travelling. During the match, when we get on a run on, and thus the Saints fans were up and about, they copped it sweet. Conversely, when they had the momentum, they weren't arrogant or dishing out any crap. Was good to see both sets of fans in my area just supporting their side.

The Saints are coming!
kaos theory
Club Player

A basic FACT:

When we play as the away team against either the pies, essendon or the blues at the dome, there will only be a very LIMITED number of tickets available for the opposing team/general public. Especially if its a big game. Hence why it was sold out and many saints fans couldn't get to the game.

Other factors (my speculation):

The supporter base has been slow to embrace the club this yr:
While we have been playing great so far, many of our own supporters expected us to go backwards this year. We were seen as past it, boring, and heading for hard years. As strange as it seems, many people/families set their lifestyle/agenda regarding sports & outdoor activities at the start of the year. And going regularly to saints games were off the agenda for many fans this year. Even when we kicked off by winning the first 3 or 4 games, supporters expected it fall apart soon enough.

We have seen this in our membership figures too, beginning slowly, and now finally getting over 32k, but still way behind the bigger clubs.

It will be interesting to see how our support level goes for the second half of the yr, I expect it to gradually pick up steam, which it is, and get back to 04/05 levels at least.

The supporter demographic:
We have one flag from 1966, and many years of misery through the 80s, 90s & 00s. Nothing builds your supporter base like winning flags (and playing regularly in gfs). Therefore, we actually have an excellent support level considering our history.

Also, there may be a ‘changing of the guard’ of supporter demographic, as many of the 40 to 50 year olds (who became saints fans during our last successful period) don't have the time or energy to get to many games. Unfortunately, there is a lower level of 20 to 30 year olds that are saint fans. But there are a lot of kids coming up that are saints supporters.

The saint supporter irrational fear syndrome:
Always under the surface for many supporters is the irrational fear that any success we are having will in a moment come crashing down, sending us into years of suffering and humiliation. Many saint fans think that going to watch the saints play could be like a trip to the dentist. The fear of it all unravelling before their eyes, even at 12-0, is always there. And I think many of the older supporters just don't want to go through the grief again...

We certainly have a lot of 'glass half empty' supporters...Hence the constant criticisms of our players, even with a 12-0 record.

Of course the best 'cure' is to win a flag. It will put a huge surge in our supporter base, build confidence and resilience in the base, not make some feel like going to watch us play might be like a trip to the dentist.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Piss weak supporters. It's been a problem for while and if you ask me it's because our supporters are a bunch of scared rabbits. Ooooh, i'm worried about this game, it's a danger game, we could lose this one and all sorts of other loser comments. FFS people, you have a good team, get to the game and yell ya farking lungs out.
Spot on Cairnsman, always staggers me when I am in Melb as I have commented many time.
Seriously Bev, you have some clout :wink: , can you arrange a meeting with the powers to be and see if we can shed some light on this one. Maybe even come up with a way to get some "Aussie Rules" type atmosphere at the game.

Here is an example of how pathetic it has turned, I went to the GC game and before the game they were playing 'Brown Eye Girl' by Van Morrison over the PA right up to the bounce of the ball. I couldn't believe it. WTF! This is Aussie Rules. It's not the Basket Ball, we don't need some 40 year old song by an American playing before a game.

We are talking about atmosphere people, you know like we used to have in the old suburban grounds, like we used to have at Moorabbin. Jonesy you are spot on, we have turned into a bunch of homogenized theatre attending toffs. And Jonesy you are right, we should try and recapture the atmosphere the 'animal enclosure' used to create. Why doesn't the club try and get more saints people to sit together. Forget the numbers attending, it’s probably the fact that everyone is spread out. And our cheer squad needs revamping and needs heaps of supporters around it. The function of a cheers squad is to get the crowd going but how can the cheers squad have any impact if they don’t have supporters around them.

Once again StFid, this thread is not about how you support the club, it's about the noise/atmosphere and crowd participation that is seriously lacking at our games. If the club wants suggestions on how to increase membership then this thread plus numerous other similar threads started over the years should be emailed to someone of significance at the club.

Think about it. We have got the best team this club has ever produced and our games feel like a lawn bowls championship. Come on StKilda management, make hay while the sun shines. Don’t be lazy and just spam everyone with emails and SMSs trying to boost membership numbers. Put your thinking caps on and try and come up with ways that make people leave our games and tell their family and friends about how much fun and atmosphere there is at our games, especially when we are winning.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I must have been at s different game but the noise for both sides on Friday was very loud where I was sitting. It was a Carlton home game so obviously there was more of them but we sill had plenty IMO.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Seriously Bev, you have some clout :wink: , can you arrange a meeting with the powers to be and see if we can shed some light on this one. Maybe even come up with a way to get some "Aussie Rules" type atmosphere at the game.

Here is an example of how pathetic it has turned, I went to the GC game and before the game they were playing 'Brown Eye Girl' by Van Morrison over the PA right up to the bounce of the ball. I couldn't believe it. WTF! This is Aussie Rules. It's not the Basket Ball, we don't need some 40 year old song by an American playing before a game.
Did the ground announcer up there also say we had a player named Leigh Macnamara and a Clinton James?

I did hear that the rights to all things AFL at the GC are held by companies who have the franchises- the club couldn't sell merchandise around the ground

ON Friday's gazme- I felt the roar was greater for the saints at times- whether it was muffled coming down from the gods- or mixed with boos from the Blues who knows
there were saints around me and ok Blues and Loud mouthed Blues.
as stated above theie home game and unlike last week with the roos- who have few reserved seaters - the blues would appear to have more

re the North game I stated to some one beside me- you could see the red Black and white squeezing them on the ciity side, and in the AFL members and level 3

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

f*** some are precious on this forum....

Saints fans dont go to away matches....Its even noticeable to other football supporters.

Reasons - there are many....But they just don’t go.

Support the club all you want - at the end of the day going to the game, having expected large crowds both home and away and support in numbers rather than money is what brings in the big bucks.

Collingwood bring a crowd everywhere they go - this is the extreme but maybe being a bit more like them would allow more blockbuster matches, bigger receipts and 18 Melbourne matches a year.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Spinner wrote:f*** some are precious on this forum....

Saints fans dont go to away matches....Its even noticeable to other football supporters.

Reasons - there are many....But they just don’t go.

Support the club all you want - at the end of the day going to the game, having expected large crowds both home and away and support in numbers rather than money is what brings in the big bucks.

Collingwood bring a crowd everywhere they go - this is the extreme but maybe being a bit more like them would allow more blockbuster matches, bigger receipts and 18 Melbourne matches a year.
x2

And when we do bring large numbers, we're often amongst the quietest in the league. Attracting large crowds to both home AND away fixtures will result in a better fixture for us, creating more revenue in terms of crowds and revenue etc.

The Saints are coming!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I guess ppl go for different reasons. I go cos I love footy. Being an AFL member I wouldn't even know whether it's our home game until I turn up and see the reserved ticket holders on the Axcess 1 side of the ground. They're playing in Melbourne, just get along and enjoy. This might be a once in a lifetime type footy season and we may well be playing once in a lifetime type footy. I'll be buggered if I'm going to miss any games unless I have to. I would have thought whilst we're playing like this ppl would be making excuses to get to the games, rather than excuses why they can't.

And when Leigh Montagna sprints around the HFF in the dying minutes of a close game and nails a ripper goal from 50, there's no excuse other than for every saints fan to tear the roof off with the noise.

Just my opinion 8-)

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:I guess ppl go for different reasons. I go cos I love footy. Being an AFL member I wouldn't even know whether it's our home game until I turn up and see the reserved ticket holders on the Axcess 1 side of the ground. They're playing in Melbourne, just get along and enjoy. This might be a once in a lifetime type footy season and we may well be playing once in a lifetime type footy. I'll be buggered if I'm going to miss any games unless I have to. I would have thought whilst we're playing like this ppl would be making excuses to get to the games, rather than excuses why they can't.

And when Leigh Montagna sprints around the HFF in the dying minutes of a close game and nails a ripper goal from 50, there's no excuse other than for every saints fan to tear the roof off with the noise.

Just my opinion 8-)
What a maginificent way you have with words. Could not have put it any better myself. So for those of you who sit on level 2 and see a crazy person hanging over the rail trying to bang the fence, screaming and yelling and going ballistic, just feel free to join in with me :D

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:07am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
mick13
Club Player

How did we get 52k to the Lions game in 2004?

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

mick13 wrote:How did we get 52k to the Lions game in 2004?
We were undefeated, Lions had won three flags in a row. We were eager to see how we'd go against the benchmark team.

The Saints are coming!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Friday night's game proved one thing, that the Blues fans have no idea about football, but we do need more Saints supporters out there and being more vocal..somewhere we have lost our voice -maybe we are content and don't need to shout?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
mick13 wrote:How did we get 52k to the Lions game in 2004?
We were undefeated, Lions had won three flags in a row. We were eager to see how we'd go against the benchmark team.
which is one reason why carlton packed out the place. They were the young team tryng to knock over the top of the ladder saints.

I also agree with the whole "glass half full" supporter base and you can't blame us. Some of us younger supporters have not seen a flag, only seen one grand final and many years of false hope.

BTW the carlton fans were pretty silent apart from their bitching about the umps in that first quarter when we were killing them.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
zebraman
Club Player

I lashed out and went to a St Kilda Function at Central Pier Docklands...would have been maybe 100-150 Saints fans there....loads of food...had to say no to the people serving in the end...it was well worth the money...Colm Begley was a guest there and had a few words

And with the price of the ticket there we got seats on Level 1 Aisle 43 row H

Quite a few Saints fans in our row but were surrounded by CFC fans who got mighty noisy late in the last 1/4 when Houlihan had that shot on goal...they were strangely quiet when the ball immediately went up the other end and Dawson kicked the sealer...

I've been to a lot of games of soccer in England and it's the same thing with the Home/away thing...away supporters will always get less tickets and there will always be more noise from the home team crowd..

And the trip home on the train to Moorabbin was very enjoyable....just as I was getting out I yelled out "Bye Bye Blues" and got a few well chosen expletives directed at me...loved it...Hate Carlton

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where were ya Saints fans??

saint66au wrote:Sheesh, 50,000 and it didnt really feel or look like there were more than 5000 Saints fans there..

Poor ol CS looked surrounded by Blues fans on L1, The Moorabbin Wing battled on in Aisle 13 but we had plenty of Blues in the cheap seats behind us....enough to heckle us when we chanted which I cant remember happening for a very long time

Where the bloody hell was everyone???

i was there ......row f ....at the lockett end.......gawd there ware a bunch of blues near me..... .......well behaved though ..with my mate ...a blues supporter on one side and a fat arsed bluescum female on the other ..it was a quiet night from me..... but i was smirking inwardly most of the night...one or two frights.......but iloved seeing those last three goals sail over my head...all difficult shots too.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
milney044
Club Player

The Carlton fans were incredibly loud and if i have to give them credit for one thing, it's the atmosphere they were able to create, unbelievable. Personally, i'm not as concerned about our lack of noise for this game, we were clearly outnumbered by Carlton being an away game so it is to be expected.
What concerns me is the lack of noise at home games. Like the Essendon game for instance. It was an entertaining game but no noise, you would think we would have brought the roof down, particularly beating Essendon. Plus playing against teams like Brisbane and the WA teams - you think we could certainly let them know they're not at home. Travel interstate and they certainly let you know. But it's quiet, and if i stand up to cheer a saints goal i feel a nuisance because i'm blocking the people behind me when really, we should all be on our feet.
Getting involved and cheering on the boys is a major reason why i go to the footy, obviously it's not everybody else's cup of tea. I am one of few who are vocal in my area at the footy, luckily the Jiggster is within close range!
I can understand if you're not the vocal type who get up and celebrate every goal like its GOTY and abuse the umps and opposition. what i cannot understand is what prevents fans from joining in on a simple clap or supporting those putting in the effort to start up a chant by saying "St Kilda". Even by 80+ year old Nan does this, it can't be that hard, surely.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.