This week is more important than next!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Quixote wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Bit of a worry then for the last game in September if we start tiring after 12 games,we may well be exhausted by then....that's more than 12 games away.....
Yes but the advantage we have over every other side except Geelong is we have wrapped up a top 4 spot so training can be adjusted to make sure we are right come finals time.
Like the Doggies did last year?
No like Hawthorn did.
Thanks Doc.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
The darkness
Club Player

Why would it be so devastating for us to lose to the cats ?
It could well be the kick in the pants both physically and mentally that we need to wake us from our slumber ?
Dont forget that the more pressure is on Geelong to win the flag this year the better for us....Because history will show that they were one of the greatest teams in the modern era but underachieved by failing to win more than 1 GF.
Lets not get too disheartened if we have a loss more pressure and expectation on the cats come September.
Would rather go into finals having lost and learnt and playing as the hunter than to have the ultimate prize snatched from our grasp after being unbeatable up until then.
A stumble here and there will do us no harm in the long run....its a marathon remember and the front runners arent always the ones who
finish off the strongest.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The darkness wrote:Why would it be so devastating for us to lose to the cats ?
It could well be the kick in the pants both physically and mentally that we need to wake us from our slumber ?
Dont forget that the more pressure is on Geelong to win the flag this year the better for us....Because history will show that they were one of the greatest teams in the modern era but underachieved by failing to win more than 1 GF.
Lets not get too disheartened if we have a loss more pressure and expectation on the cats come September.
Would rather go into finals having lost and learnt and playing as the hunter than to have the ultimate prize snatched from our grasp after being unbeatable up until then.
A stumble here and there will do us no harm in the long run....its a marathon remember and the front runners arent always the ones who
What slumber?

emmdee
Club Player

I agree with "The Darkness" abt the cats game, although i hope we win... i think a narrow loss would be more beneficial to us & detrimental to the cats in "the bigger 2009 picture" ie more pressure on them to win the big one & less expectation on us, also something for Lyon & the players for extra motivation as the finals arrive.

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
The darkness wrote:Why would it be so devastating for us to lose to the cats ?
What slumber?
What slumber indeed, though I know what he means. We arent going to thrash every team we play week in week out!

The anti "slumber" argument is that in 05,06,07 and 08, we could have conceivably dropped the last 4 or 5 games! So, the going is good!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

It is good, but it could certainly be better, like earlier in the season. Winning isn't everything and I'd like to see us playing our best, with great intensity/passion, for 4 quarters a week. It's a lot more fun than just grinding out wins.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Quixote wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Bit of a worry then for the last game in September if we start tiring after 12 games,we may well be exhausted by then....that's more than 12 games away.....
Yes but the advantage we have over every other side except Geelong is we have wrapped up a top 4 spot so training can be adjusted to make sure we are right come finals time.
Like the Doggies did last year?
No like Hawthorn did.
Or the crows in 05 and 06? Nearly cost Neil Craig his job this theory of training excessively throughout the middle rounds, so that his team would have a base for the finals. I reckon the hawks came good more because their good players came back from injury towards the end of the year, and they all got 2-3 games under their belt before finals.

The secret imo is to keep a solid list of 25 blokes relatively injury free. If we do get injuries then hopefully we can minimise it to 1 or 2 weeks like we have so far. Need some luck and good planning.

aussiejones
Club Player

I agree with ......"I'm not sure the 'break came at the right time'. I think it's more that we paced ourselves to just fall over the line that was the mid-year break.

Hopefully the rest has us reset and ready to fire. The encouraging thing is that under RL's tenure, we tend to finish seasons stronger than we start them, so this must surely be a source of hope! "

I would reckon RL is smart enough to have an eye on the finals and have a good idea of who the 22 are (baring injury) . His job and fitness staff is to manage the group training wise to be red hot for the Finals.

Expectations well under control.........