Saints frontal pressure scares pussy cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

Saints frontal pressure scares pussy cats

from the herald sun

GEELONG may have an answer to the searing frontal pressure it expects to face in this year's finals. The Cats over the past two months have incorporated elements of a rugby league-style training program designed to perfect their ball handling under fierce physical pressure.

The results have increased confidence among the Geelong camp that it has a weapon to counter the blast-furnace tackle intensity St Kilda applies in its forward half.

The Cats' comeback, in part, is a type of on-the-move handball like a flick-pass in rugby league.

What Geelong has refined is the ability to offload the ball by hand either just before or as a player is tackled.

Related LinksNo sellout: AFL rejects live telecast bid
The team, which has handballed more than any other over the past three seasons, has begun taking the skill to a new level to overcome the challenge of 2009.

The Cats will face a stringent test of the tactic in Saturday's Qualifying Final against the Bulldogs, who, like Collingwood and Adelaide, have copied St Kilda's frenzied defence.

What is required to pull off the technique is the composure, strength and awareness to brace for the contact, release the handpass to a teammate, and either take the hit or break free of the tackle - all in a split-second.

The aim, as in rugby, is to draw the opposition player into the tackle to create space and gaps in traffic for teammates.

What is crucial is the ability to turn in the direction of the handpass to protect the ball in the moment before impact.

The tactic is designed to avoid being locked down, especially in defence, where St Kilda's small forwards excel at forcing the opposition into turnovers with record tackle counts.

The edge the Cats have in the tackle training is rehabilitation, and strength manager Dean Robinson, a former Manly rugby league player, is adept at the craft.

The Herald Sun understands the Cats have concentrated heavily on contested ball work at training in recent months in preparation for the expected increase in September intensity.

Finding ways to score against the best defensive team in the league is looming as the key to this year's premiership race.

:wink: Seems the pussycats have spent the past months trying late release handball, also if anyone has not noticed its now official? The filth and the doggies have been trying to copy Ross's tactics, (explains why they both improved over the last quarter of the season). However seeing we have been doing it all year we will prevail and bring home the big one... we do it better than anyone..

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Not surprised the Cats are practicing their handballs. They weren't gonna get away with throws forever.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
howlinwolf
Club Player

You beat me to it Thinline

What is required for this tactic to come off is that you need your back to the umpire so he doesn't see the throw !

The best team in the comp for getting away with throws. No doubt.

Also the best at milking non existant frees like high contact when they have fallen to the ground or dropped the shoulders.

I hope the umpires are awake to these tactics in the coming weeks.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

I guess since they have been getting tips from rugby, they are all gonna handball backwards - and scrum with their heads between others legs at each bounce !@

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Young Georgie
Club Player

And I thought Hopoate was down at sleepy hollow giving a helping hand in the boxing ring :evil:

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:And I thought Hopoate was down at sleepy hollow giving a helping hand in the boxing ring :evil:
or just a hand in the ring? That was, afterall, his specialty...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

Well, he did know how to pull a finger out!

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
chook23
Saintsational Legend

heading of this thread ........

ridiculous use of the word scared ...............when reading article

training method to combat

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Once I would have said it's not wise to change your style midway through the season, but Adelaide managed to do so....and well.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Once I would have said it's not wise to change your style midway through the season, but Adelaide managed to do so....and well.
it's not wise to keep the same style if it's not working.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Geelong worried about frontal pressure -another reason for them to have a good whinge.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Saints v Cats this year. I think early on in the game. I did love the frontal pressure against G. Ablett. He coughed the ball up and the saints scored. Just beautiful.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:Saints v Cats this year. I think early on in the game. I did love the frontal pressure against G. Ablett. He coughed the ball up and the saints scored. Just beautiful.
milne, mcqualter, jones combination. some very underrated and important smalls there.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I think that could backfire, Rugby players can afford to pass really quick because they have an offside rule. If the Cats get too confident with quick passing without putting too much thought into their sorroundings, interceptions could be all too easy to pick off when we know they will pass off quick.