Should we be confident?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thompson4
Club Player

Should we be confident?

This may come across as silly but does the changes in the Magpies side since we walloped them leave that element of the unknown about them ? I guess if the home and away year finished after round 18 then you'd roll your eyes and say too easy, Sainters in a canter, but is this game with form taken into accounts, more like a 6th vs 7th type (on form as Pies have been average since last quarter or so against Richmond had they played us in their form vs Swans when we were on song it could have been a 10-gl win)? Im really unsure as to how to look at,this match. Can';t help but think that I'd like to have played them twice in 22-rnds so that we can know what we're u p against this week (it feels too much like they, even though they didn't mean it, held their cards back both vs us and then the Bulldogs)? Or am I just thinking about thje game too much? Form and finals are just so crucial. Guess we'll see.

Andrew Thompson - The most underrated player in the AFL
matrix
Saintsational Legend

the first six words........ :twisted:

Shaggy
Club Player

The wobbles are the 5th best side in the comp this year and about 10 to 12 goals behind us ... IMHO

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The pies have been a quality outfit this year. You could easily use the same excuse for their form line in the past fortnight as we have for ours. They have had nothing to play for. They secured a double chance 2 weeks ago which was guaranteed to be in Melbourne, and really that's all we're all playing for in the H&A.

Just as ppl shouldn't underestimate the saints this week, the same goes for the pies.

I have never seen so much carry on from Bulldog supporters about their win on Sunday. What did they win other than a less than 6 day break. If they were honest with themselves, they would admit that the game against the pies was one of the softest games ever b/w 3rd and 4th placed teams. The real stuff starts this week - for everyone.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep

crackers35
Club Player

St.Kilda MCG games in 2009 : 1
collingwood MCG games in 2009 : 14

experience helps................

But that'll make the win sweeter!

Looking forward to 2010 - I'm gonna Lovett!
linz
Club Player

I might have missed another thread but do we get a chance to do any extra training at the "G" this week to get more familiar with the ground?

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:I might have missed another thread but do we get a chance to do any extra training at the "G" this week to get more familiar with the ground?
I hope to be proved wrong, but I think the answer is no. I believe that it is only GF week when this is permissible.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

2009 AFL ladder after round 22:

1.ST.KILDA
2.someone
3.someone
4.COLLINGWOOD

we have every reason to be confident :twisted:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
widereceiver
Club Player

Remembering back to last year's semi, the Pies side isn't significantly better this year than last. Presti is back, but with the exception of Dick, I think their improvement has been just that, Dick.

We haven't added anyone, lost Max maybe and Ball didn't play. We are significanty better as a team so yes, I am confident.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
bozza1980
Club Player

We won 20 Home and Away games, only the 4th side to do so, if we shouldn't be confident after a season like that, I don't know when we should.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:Remembering back to last year's semi, the Pies side isn't significantly better this year than last. Presti is back, but with the exception of Dick, I think their improvement has been just that, Dick.

We haven't added anyone, lost Max maybe and Ball didn't play. We are significanty better as a team so yes, I am confident.
Fair point.

And Dick's form line has...ahem...drooped somewhat so he's no certainty to play...

We've added Zac Dawson, Farren Ray.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
spert
Saintsational Legend

Let me ask you this..would you be confident if your team won 20 games, and along the way, dropped a few stars from the team for a rest and still won against a desperate team fighting for a final berth, with our B team? Would you be confident if we had the best defence in the comp? Would you be confident if our coach and his assistants had premiership experience? I would be pretty confident.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Yes

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

widereceiver wrote:Remembering back to last year's semi, the Pies side isn't significantly better this year than last. Presti is back, but with the exception of Dick, I think their improvement has been just that, Dick.

Didak and Shaw didn't play either did they?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."