Changes for the Prelim.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:For the record I believe (IMO) there's an outside chance of one change, Dempster in for Eddy but most likely no changes for this week.

However if I was to envisage a smokey or slightly left field change it would be Steven in for Eddy, adding some pace to our midfield whilst freeing BJ up to play the 3rd lead up forward.

Steven has shown (in one game) he can get the ball, tackles well, has pace and knows where the goals are.
I will leave aside the fact that it would be insane to bring in a guy who has played only one ok game of AFL ahead any of the more experienced group of Eddy, Dempster, Geary, Armitage and Gwilt.

But what I don't get is that I keep reading that BJ needs to be "freed up" to play as 3rd forward. However, I have watched games in which he seems to be expected to play as 3rd forward and note that he keeps drifting back. I actually don't think BJ wants to play 3rd forward: I think he likes being back of centre and setting up play from there. Moreover, I think he is really good at it.

Apart from the game against the Eagles earlier this year, where he played as a sort of unexpected "4th forward", I have never been particularly impressed with BJ playing up forward. I don't think it's his forte.
As I said MB I don't really expect any changes. I was going to start a thread with "Possible Smokey Selections" as we do appear quite settled but I thought I would pop that idea in here.

Perhaps it's the gambler in me but I think from what we've seen this year Ross is no gambler and quite rightly has put his faith in his structures, roles, team discipline and the players that have got us here to date.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Out: Hawthorn
In: Collingwood

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
lewdogs
Club Player

I don't think there will be any changes. RL has shown that he usually doesn't change a winning formula (at least not earlier in the season).

If anyone was to come in I'd like to see Geary in for Eddy, but I can't see it happening and just have to have faith at this stage.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

In: Saints, Geelong
Out: W Bulldogs, Collingwood :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: But what I don't get is that I keep reading that BJ needs to be "freed up" to play as 3rd forward. However, I have watched games in which he seems to be expected to play as 3rd forward and note that he keeps drifting back. I actually don't think BJ wants to play 3rd forward: I think he likes being back of centre and setting up play from there. Moreover, I think he is really good at it.

Apart from the game against the Eagles earlier this year, where he played as a sort of unexpected "4th forward", I have never been particularly impressed with BJ playing up forward. I don't think it's his forte.
All i'll add to this is that IMO is that if he can play forward (which for BJ is a work in progress) then ultimately he has to. The best players in the league are forwards coz not many ppl can do what they can do.
That's why the get the big bucks.

Take Riewoldt for example. He would be a superb CHB, has all the attributes however few ppl can do what he can do up forward.

BJ is an AWESOME AWESOME back. He provides lots of run, is good in the air, has superb disposal and he's smart. In many ways, it's his perfect position coz it allows him to use his best attributes. But he has all the attributes to be a super forward: strong grab, booming kick and hard runner.
He could be be replaced down back

Not worth experimenting this year though

JABBER
Club Player

changes for prelim

If fully fit

IN Sean Dempster

OUT Robert Eddy

Dempster will come back with his finals experience in big finals.We need him for the Grand Final (if We play Geelong) and Eddy will be unlucky because he played very good against collingwood

trevor barker
elphie
Club Player

EDDY will hold spot now!

am i right in seeing that the EDDY listed below is our R.EDDY (from 1st eleven) and he got extra match practice as requested by the conditioning staff and he performed and kicked 6-goals!
if that's the case, it will be hard to see DEMPSTER to take his place, given his role as lead-up/defensive forward is missing in our current team balance and has been his place for most of this year.

DO YOU AGREE?

2009 VFL Reserves Preliminary Final

Williamstown 1.3 2.9 4.11 6.14 (50)
Sandringham 4.2 9.2 13.8 14.10 (94)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Grant 2 Mulligan O'Shea Lockwood Egan
Sandringham: Eddy 6 Ferraro 3 Tungatalum Garrubba Johnston Williams Hardiman

BEST:
Williamstown: Cartelli Georgiadis Miller Roughead Cravino Daniels
Sandringham: Johnston Eddy Gilchrist Liddell Gribbin Williams

matrix
Saintsational Legend

no
its not

Legendary
Club Player

There is a different Eddy who plays for the Sandringham reserves.

elphie
Club Player

then that's so wrongly reported in todays HERALD SUN, it's not funny!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

In: Attard- bloody stiff to be delisted

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ThePunter
Club Player

The Eddy confusion was also in the Herald-Sun on Sunday.

There also seems to be a error related to football every day in The Age.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Re: changes for prelim

JABBER wrote:If fully fit

IN Sean Dempster

OUT Robert Eddy

Dempster will come back with his finals experience in big finals.We need him for the Grand Final (if We play Geelong) and Eddy will be unlucky because he played very good against collingwood
Pop!

Hole-in-one.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Seem to remember both Gwilt and Geary playing well against the Dogs last time...I know it's horses for courses, but would be happy to see either of these guys, or even an unchanged side. Gwilt will be stiff not to get a crack at the finals IMO...Geary a little too new.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Seem to remember both Gwilt and Geary playing well against the Dogs last time...I know it's horses for courses, but would be happy to see either of these guys, or even an unchanged side. Gwilt will be stiff not to get a crack at the finals IMO...Geary a little too new.
I've come round to your point of view re Gwilt. I reckon he should replace Raph: desperately unfair for Raph, but I think Gwilt could play an extremely useful role against the Cats in a GF.

IMO Geary is behind Eddy and Dempster, in that order.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift