Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Riewoldt

I have just moved from Sydney back to Melbourne two weeks ago. What a time to move.

Sydney is a great place to follow the AFL because you get all the news and games but without the 24/7 onslaught.

This week I am loving that onslaught. Radio, this amazing station I have found SEN (nothing like that in Sydney). Heard the jiggster a little while ago.

What I can't believe is the vitriol against Riewoldt. "soft" umpirespet", "goes to ground" , "diver"etc

I am furious, I have watched him for years and loved his every move. He is now the most important player in the AFL. He shows courage and leadership. He runs himself into the ground every game, he takes contested(repeat contested mark) time after time. Countless times b/c he plays in front he does get free kicks (that is part of the game). He gets repeatedly smashed by defenders after marking (rarely with a 50) and gets up and gets on with it.

I cannot believe that people cannot appreciate a champion (whether that is Judd, Harvey, Ablett etc) , we all love footy and love to watch great players.

I seriously believe that in 5 years Nick will be rated the greatest ever ( at least equal to 35) Saint (almost past plugger now) .

fqf

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

What I cant understand - and it may be me looking through through rose coloured glasses - is the call of diving. He was jogging past Lake - not looking at him - when Lake stepped forward and bumped him - could have hit Roo at a mid-stride - could have unsettled him in his stride - could have quite simply caught him unawares as he watched for the quick clearance from the centre.

Lake was warned - He chose a time to bump Roo that he knew would un settle him - so he paid the price.

I think we had the rub of the green as far as umpiring was concerned - and lets hope it continues on Saturday - but if you want to pull individual decisions out - there are probably 50 - 100 unpaid frees throughout a game that ould change a game.

The most important thing here is Lake was warned - if the Umpire did not pay it - no matter how soft - that lets Lake do it again and again.
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Mon 21 Sep 2009 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

You will hear all the rubbish you can imagine, and worse.

Half of it is sour grapes, and the other half is intended to offend and upset us.

Personally, if I know that it's untrue, as it certainly is in this case, I just laugh it off. I enjoy the fact that they are trying so hard.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It is extraordinary that a player who has the strength and agility and motor to play almost exclusively in front of his opponent for 90% of game time isn't afforded MORE free kicks IMO.

He is an out and out star of the game, and outstanding individual, a terrific captain, and one of the few decent role models left.

I simply don't give a f**k what anyone says.

He is what he is.

And he's ours.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

And further, if people want to complain about poor umping, have a look at Ablett/OBrien... Ablett should have given the bloody ball to OBrien out of guilt such was the ridiculousness of that decision.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Sainterman
Club Player

Good old tall poppy syndrome. Water off a ducks back is the best way to treat it.

In some ways it is nice to hear these opposition supporters ringing up so upset...sour grapes indeed.

Roo is already a champion and on the back of this finals series has only increased his standing. I think he is now out to 30 goals in finals for the Saints, which, and correct me if I am wrong, is a club record.

We should all enjoy watching the great Roo, he is a rare talent.

Who cares what people ringing SEN say, bet they would love the guy in their sides. Perhaps send a clip of his mark against Sydney a few years back into SEN, so they can forward on to the numskulls calling in so they can see what courage really is.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

There's no braver or harder working ball player than Riewoldt.

When Gary Ablett dove to the ground againt the Pies dragging his opponent with him to the ground and was paid a free kick that clearly should have gone the other way - we didn't hear any more about that ?

Nor did Gary Ablett admit that it was he who actually dove and infringed - he just casually went back and kicked a goal - with no remorse.

What happened to Roo was not something he created (unlike Ablett) - Lake left his opponent Kosi and ran 5 metres across to bump Roo.

there was enough force to knock him down and it was totally unnecessary and came after repeated warnings.

The message is -
Bumper/non ball player (who leaves his immediate opponent, Kosi, and runs 5 metres to bump an unsuspecting opponent after repeated warnings) - Beware
Last edited by samoht on Mon 21 Sep 2009 11:54am, edited 3 times in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I try so hard not to wear rose coloured glasses, I watched the event a few times on replay trying to give a non emotive view.

To me, it just didn't look like a dive, it looked like he wasn't expecting it and his knees buckled.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Roo has frustrated me at times when he gets infringed but doesn't make it obvious enough to get a free kick.

SEN is a great station but unfortunately Telstra gives phonelines to people who should be locked in a cage & not allowed to communicate with anyone (including the Raph haters).

Roo is the consummate ball player... that is his only focus & lesser players will resort to illegal tactics to limit his influence. It's the umpires job to do this & Lake deserved what he got.

saintDal
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I try so hard not to wear rose coloured glasses, I watched the event a few times on replay trying to give a non emotive view.

To me, it just didn't look like a dive, it looked like he wasn't expecting it and his knees buckled.
Exactly right. He wasn't prepared for the hit and you can see his left knee buckle. His instant reaction was to fall over to take the pressure off his knee. I do this all the time when I feel my ankle rolling because I've done it a few times.

bethb7
Club Player

The thing that gets me is the Bulldogs players were warned about it so why do it?, the issue is how stupid is Lake and how smart is Riewoldt :)
It had been going on all game anyway, about time in my eyes.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
66 Saints
Club Player

I don't think it was a deliberate 'dive'. I do think he tried to protect his sore knee by ensuring the other knee took the impact and this made the fall look worse. (unless I have his good and bad knees mixed up...)

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I think the point is it's okay for a little push and shove with your direct opponent , standing right next to you and the umpire allows for that.

but what Lake did was he left his direct opponent Kosi and ran across 5 metres to forcibly bump Riewoldt.

a completely different kettle of fish... and the umpire adjudicated correctly.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I think the point is it's okay for a little push and shove with your direct opponent , standing right next to you and the umpire allows for that.

but what Lake did was he left his direct opponent Kosi and ran across 5 metres to forcibly bump Riewoldt.

Absolutely correct. Lake wasnt pushing and shoving Kosi. He saw Rooey jogging to his position. Rooey was looking down at his knee as he was running which reminded Lake of the instruction to get rooey at every possibility. He left his opponent to follow his instruction, he is dumb and so is Eade. Why wasnt he pushing Kosi, because Kosi was ready for it.

ThePunter
Club Player

I read this guy online all the time named Bill Simmons, AKA The Sports Guy.

One of his sports memes is something called a "No One Believed In Us Team". The team gets a collective chip on their shoulder because of the lack of respect.

Could St Kilda be the first 20-2 "No One Believes In Us" team ever?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I updated the milestones thread a short while ago, and I haven't seen mention of something that happened a couple of weeks ago. I might as well mention it here even though it will probably slip under the radar again...

Nick Riewoldt is now this club's 4th greatest goalkicker. Tony Lockett. Stewart Loewe. Billy Mohr. Nick Riewoldt.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

mullet wrote:
samoht wrote:I think the point is it's okay for a little push and shove with your direct opponent , standing right next to you and the umpire allows for that.

Absolutely correct. Lake wasnt pushing and shoving Kosi. He saw Rooey jogging to his position. Rooey was looking down at his knee as he was running which reminded Lake of the instruction to get rooey at every possibility. He left his opponent to follow his instruction, he is dumb and so is Eade. Why wasnt he pushing Kosi, because Kosi was ready for it.
Lake tried to forearm Nick in the kidneys but Nick's arm got in the way.

It was a cheap shot & he paid for it. Weak as p1ss Lake & now Roo's copping it.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:I read this guy online all the time named Bill Simmons, AKA The Sports Guy.

One of his sports memes is something called a "No One Believed In Us Team". The team gets a collective chip on their shoulder because of the lack of respect.

Could St Kilda be the first 20-2 "No One Believes In Us" team ever?
Too right. I reckon that Nick and many of our other players get a lot of unfair criticism. But there seems to be a feeling among some on here that any criticism of our players is unfair criticism.

I reckon that Nick did everything he could to bring Lake's hit to the attention of the umpires. Does that mean he took a dive? I reckon he did: although the hit was definitely there.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
samoht
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
I reckon that Nick did everything he could to bring Lake's hit to the attention of the umpires. Does that mean he took a dive? I reckon he did: although the hit was definitely there.
But did the dive (supposing he did) have any real bearing on whether there should have been a free kick or not ?

I mean Lake left his direct opponent Kosi and ran 5 metres to bump Riewoldt when there was no play.

it was hard not to miss it - regardless of Riewoldt's reaction.

Isn't that what the free kick was for - i.e. Lake's action and not Riewoldt's reaction?
Last edited by samoht on Mon 21 Sep 2009 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

mastersaint
Club Player

Lotta weird stuff goin on ...............

Half nude men.... gaysite or what lol...

Bitchin bout tickets....... etc

should'nt we be basking in the glory

Riewoldt what a champion

spert
Saintsational Legend

Good player that Lake fellow, I wish he was playing for us, though he did a good job for us the other night anyway.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

There's no braver or harder working ball player than Riewoldt.
Yep...

That pretty much covers it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
widereceiver
Club Player

I love it that opposition fans are starting to hate us. I want them to hate us, fear us and lose to us as I have hated those other clubs when we were a box of sh!te, a pile of pus, a disgrace to the VFL.

Now, it's our turn to have fun.

If they think Roo is a diver, as opposed to Johnno amongst many others, let them. They should watch the replays where he is constantly scragged, taken out of the play and, yes AA Craig Bolton, tunnelled.

Nick Columb? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Suffer in your whingeing jocks, along with Aker (Brownlow medallist) and Brad Hardie (Brownlow medallist).

Brad Hardie (Brownlow medallist) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA - you gotta be kidding, you fat ranga loser.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:I love it that opposition fans are starting to hate us. I want them to hate us, fear us and lose to us as I have hated those other clubs when we were a box of sh!te, a pile of pus, a disgrace to the VFL.

Now, it's our turn to have fun.

If they think Roo is a diver, as opposed to Johnno amongst many others, let them. They should watch the replays where he is constantly scragged, taken out of the play and, yes AA Craig Bolton, tunnelled.

Nick Columb? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Suffer in your whingeing jocks, along with Aker (Brownlow medallist) and Brad Hardie (Brownlow medallist).

Brad Hardie (Brownlow medallist) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA - you gotta be kidding, you fat ranga loser.
Thats a bit harsh. Many of my friends are fat ranga losers.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I heard the grab from Columb on SEN, outrageous to label #12 a cheat

I ask Columb does he remember a couple of old dogs Romero and Libber, then start talking about dubious players