The Rookification of Blake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Rookification of Blake

I post this as an alternative to all the Trade Week, Luke, X, Raph, Goose etc posts that have occupied our minds over the last week.

Shortly after the GF I suggested this idea to my best mate. He immediately suggested I seek medical attention for a mental illness! So I thought it would be a chance to raise it for all of you to also have a good laugh at my expense and, if need be, give me a good slapping down.

Although we performed well throughout the year the position of HFF remained a bit of a problem with neither Gwilt or Eddy able to cement it down. The cats have a very productive forward line despite the lack of a gun CHF or FF. As much as I’d love a Paul Chapman or Steve Johnson type in our forward line those players are hard to find. However I think Max Rooke is almost as vital to Geelong as those guys. This got me to thinking about him. From what I can tell he started out in the backline but struggled a bit against quicker opponents. He was tried onball before finding himself up forward where he has found his niche. Who in our team could be a Max Rooke?

Many have said that we have too much height in the backline so why couldn’t Blake be tried in such a Rooke type role? This could be considered particularly if it transpires next year that the likes of Gwilt and Eddy aren't up to it, and that Lynch and Heyne etc are not ready. Blake's age, height and weight are similar to Rooke's and he is renowned for having a huge tank. Just let him run around half forward like a maniac presenting at every opportunity (his marking and goal kicking ability would also be on a par with Rooke’s).

Of course he would need to grow a ridiculous beard……

Quixote
SS Life Member

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Image
Can you make your thoughts a little clearer? :)

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Not dynamic or aggressive enough. Rooke/Hamill are ferocious at the man and the ball. Blake is a solid reliable 6'4 player who is not dynamically quick, ie has great closing speed or lays bone crunching tackles. Would just clog up our fwd line I reckon.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Not dynamic or aggressive enough. Rooke/Hamill are ferocious at the man and the ball. Blake is a solid reliable 6'4 player who is not dynamically quick, ie has great closing speed or lays bone crunching tackles. Would just clog up our fwd line I reckon.
Well yes you may have to whack some tabasco on his private parts at the start of each quarter :D

Beekay
SS Life Member

Don't care for the topic, but fantastic avatar! Best comedy on T.V.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Image
summed it up well!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Rookification of Blake

[quote="Dr Spaceman"]
Shortly after the GF I suggested this idea to my best mate. He immediately suggested I seek medical attention for a mental illness! /quote]

Your friend is very samrt...snart...clever :wink:

battye
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman, love the username. Blerg!

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

i think that Gilbert was tried in this role at the start of 09 ..perhaps this is why Peake has been targeted ie to replace Gilbo in the backline and free up Gilbo to go forward

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Rookification of Blake

Dr Spaceman wrote:
. Who in our team could be a Max Rooke?

Many have said that we have too much height in the backline so why couldn’t Blake be tried in such a Rooke type role? ……
No..not Blake.

You are either a mean bastard or you are not. This is one BIG reason why Baker is so valuable in our 22...

As a HF Blake started as a HF with us.

As a HF in part he does it quite well..he knows when and here to lead and finds space and can mark, but his kicking at goal is dodgey.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....