2010..well I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

2010..well I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well bring on 2010.

The way I see it the Club is beautifally set up for an exciting 2010.

Yes we have lost Max..but already have Zac with a solid year into him. He does not have Max's defenisve ability, but his offensive side is superior.

We may have lost Ball (or maybe not)..but the truth is that Ball is in our bottom group of first 22 mids...and with all of Armo, Steven and Geary pushing to get into 22 if Ball goes I think we have him covered.

On the upside we have added Lovett (definate first 22) and Peake (possible first 22) who will improve an are that we were wek in. Lovet also adds a bit of extra flair and "wartchability" too.

So given our "kids" being young men now boosted with Lovett and Peake it gives us adeeper and more verstaile midfield in 2010.

Big Ben may well by seasons end have pushed out King from the No 2 ruck spot. In the meantime it is good to know that we have 3 genuine ruckmen as ruckmen often seem to get an injury or two in a season.

Gram. The GF may have just beena taste of what we will see in 2010. With Lovett now in the midfield too it will be exciting watching the two of them cut loose in the midfield. If Peaker can recover his earlier form...then our outside mids including Joey will bea buz to watch in 2010.

Outside the 22 we now have some extra exitement with the Irish Gun in Tommy Walsh now at the Club to learn AFL. He may or may not make it....but Walsh arriving is really going to make watch pre-season games and traninga lot more fun now. Moran may join him.

At Sandy we already have stanley who excited many last year, but who is still very young. Watching both Stanley and walsh run around is going to make sandya pacey team.

Geary could wel be one to really step up in2010 after another pre-season to make him just that bit bigger. Geary is a beautiful finisher of the ball.

2010..can't wait.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintnick12
Club Player

Agreed. How long until the first preseaon game!!! :wink:

yipper
SS Life Member

Another 12 months in the development of Tommy Lynch will also be very interesting. Would think he, along with Armo and Jack Steven will be staking strong claims going forward. Tommy Walsh is the X-factor!! Hang onto both Ball and Goose and we look a pretty formidable outfit once again.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Milton66
SS Life Member

yipper wrote:Another 12 months in the development of Tommy Lynch will also be very interesting. Would think he, along with Armo and Jack Steven will be staking strong claims going forward. Tommy Walsh is the X-factor!! Hang onto both Ball and Goose and we look a pretty formidable outfit once again.
Actually, I'm no longer fussed if we keep Ball... or Goose for that matter.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Can't wait, would love to see some more of Geary, Armo and Big Ben...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Ok you've convinced me. I'm excited !

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Oh didn't you know everyone, 2010 is the year... 8-)

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I'm no more excited about 2010 than I have been for any previous season.

The beauty about the season just passed was that we were a sleeping giant and it took our Round 7 demolision of Collingwood for the football community to acknowledge we were the real deal.

This year, the majority expects either us or the Dogs to seal the deal and I've seen enough disappointment to be no more than quietly confident. I don't want a repeat of 2006, wasn't that ment to be our year?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Milton66
SS Life Member

Expect the GF loss to burn deep inside the players' guts in 2010.

Like Essendon of 2000 and Geelong of 2009, this team will be on a mission to finish the "unfinished" business.

Look forward to a mean and ruthless StKilda in 2010.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

It's all about list management. This club loaded up with lesser alternatives because they recognised the immediate future was stuffed, thanks to the numeric knackering the GC and WS deliver.

We will prevail, because we read it earlier.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Expect the GF loss to burn deep inside the players' guts in 2010.

Like Essendon of 2000 and Geelong of 2009, this team will be on a mission to finish the "unfinished" business.

Look forward to a mean and ruthless StKilda in 2010.
I think we were mean and ruthless in 2009, Milton.

I hope we are smarter and choose the moments to switch on like the felines did this year. Mental and physical chess next year.

Wigsy
Club Player

Well, I for one, hope we keep Ball and Goose. We need Ball's contested footy - if he goes, it will just turn to Armitage to step up, but I still think we'll miss Ball and he'll be an excellent pick up for Melbourne (espec for free). Goose gives us the tall back up that we are probably really lacking, especially with Allen now gone and Lynch still only a kid (appreciate the latter two are mainly forwards, but it allows for switcharoo and frees up Fish, BJ and Grape).

I'm also very excited by the new arrivals, particularly Walsh even if it is just for that wait and see factor. We haven't had a really exciting young prospect for a while given we've been competitive for a fair while now.

Not sure on Geary - he has shown development year after year and I like his run, but I can't have the 'superb disposal' as posted above. Great endurance, can run lines, but just lacks a tad of class and disposal a little iffy to create any expectation of being anything better than in the 22 type of player. He really will be tested by Lovett and Peake's introduction - you'd expect Lovett to be ahead of him and Peake to be arguably slightly behind him, but they're both levelled at his spot. A fair degree of depth I'd suggest.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Agree... If you are a saints supporter and not excited then what the hell man???

IF we keep Ball; and Goose we have the best list.

This tommy walsh could be anything. wE HAVE ADDED PACE what more could you want???

We will win this flag in 2010. Win it easily smashing anyone who gets in our way!!

Dawson = gun btw.

awesome_days
Club Player

I'm excited - looking at the list as it stands.....

Backs:
There is no weakening of our backline. Widespread agreement that the Saints are 1 small (defensively) back short. This can be remedied a number of ways:
- Dempster, at full fitness, returns to the backline in a stopping role
- Ray, plays permanently from BP/HBF - increasing our attacking options while being strong overhead
- Geary, has been primed for this role for a couple of seasons now. Unknown quantity and improvement
- McQualter, can he transfer his defensive game to the back half, he may not be penetrating with his disposal but has always been clean.

Expected backline:
Baker Dawson Fisher
Gilbert Blake Ray
Res: Geary

Midfield
The addittion of Lovett and Peake, but the possible loss of Ball sees our midfield strengthened. McEvoy Armitage and Steven will provide further extrinsic improvement and the addittion of Goddard and Gram permanently will further strengthen these lines.

Expected midfield:
C: Gram Hayes Lovett
R: Gardiner Dal Santo Jones
Res: McEvoy Armitage

Forwards
More midfield strength will see class midfielders spending time in the forward line. Only two of the midgets will survive this season.

Expected forwards:
HF: Goddard Riewoldt Montagna
F: Schneider Koschitzke McQualter
Res: Steven

PJ
SS Life Member

Midfield
The addittion of Lovett and Peake, but the possible loss of Ball sees our midfield strengthened. McEvoy Armitage and Steven will provide further extrinsic improvement and the addittion of Goddard and Gram permanently will further strengthen these lines.
If bally leaves it will be pretty interesting who'll get the first shot. Armitage you gotta imagine will be there and you could argue the strengths between the 2 but Armo will be capable of more game time (up from 50%). This will allow lenny and others to rest more.

Tommy's an interesting one too - even if he hasn't the ball and AFL skills yet you could imagine he would be able , by his athleticism, to get hold of the ball regularly in the forward line - what he'd do with it is anyone's guess but that's all up to Ross & co now.

The functioning of our forward line is possibly our biggest area to improve on given who we've recruited and our deficiencies last year. Roo needs more support and we need other options but I think we're well on our way to fixing this already.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:I'm no more excited about 2010 than I have been for any previous season.
Big call mate!

At this time last year most of us were fairly downbeat about 2009.

Harvs was gone, with no replacement, and we had just lost out/didn't want Benny Cousins.

We looked rooted IMO, even more so after a few dodgy praccy matches in Feb!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:I'm no more excited about 2010 than I have been for any previous season.
Big call mate!

Harvs was gone, with no replacement, and we had just lost out/didn't want Benny Cousins.

Why get excited now?
There’s a high chance it will be a repeat of 97/98...make the GF, lose it and go back to an average side.
although they could do a repeat of 65/66, lose it then win it.
you just never know what to expect being a St. Kilda supporter. That’s why I love the club, one year we are struggling to make the 8 and before we know it we finish 4th, another we win 19 games in a row and don’t win the GF. its all a surprise.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Big call mate!

Speak for yourself 8-)

Milton66
SS Life Member

saintdooley wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Big call mate!

Why get excited now?
There’s a high chance it will be a repeat of 97/98...make the GF, lose it and go back to an average side.
you just never know what to expect being a St. Kilda supporter. That’s why I love the club, one year we are struggling to make the 8 and before we know it we finish 4th, another we win 19 games in a row and don’t win the GF. its all a surprise.
Nah... get excited Dools. :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Big call mate!

Why get excited now?
Dools, has that neighbour being souring you with stuffed cats and premiership posters in her window or something....why so glum? :shock:

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Big call mate!

Why get excited now?
Dools, has that neighbour being souring you with stuffed cats and premiership posters in her window or something....why so glum? :shock:
yes she has

and im not glum. i do believe we will win the premiership next year, but i dont want to get all excited and feel as though we will win then come round 22 we are fighting for a top 4 spot and are no real contenders, just a fill in for the 8. trying to keep it on the low and if we win then i go spastic, and if we lose at least i wasnt going mental thinking we would win over summer.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Big call mate!

Why get excited now?
Haha a youngun who understands St Kilda. That's rare. Good work, dools. ;)

TBH I much prefer a negative supporter than a happy-clapping eternal optimist. For some reason the latter do my head in.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It's foolish when you barrack for StKilda to get excited,we only lost 2 games in the home and away comp and still it didn't seem like we were going to win the big one and as it turned out we didn't...

2010 will be more of the same...will we be as good..will we make top 4...will we play well in the finals..will we make the Grand Final or bomb out in the Prelim....will we overcome our capacity to fail and actually win a flag in the modern era....

Too many unknowns to get excited...i can't be any more than hopeful...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring on 2010 FFS and fast!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:It's foolish when you barrack for StKilda to get excited,we only lost 2 games in the home and away comp and still it didn't seem like we were going to win the big one and as it turned out we didn't...

2010 will be more of the same...will we be as good..will we make top 4...will we play well in the finals..will we make the Grand Final or bomb out in the Prelim....will we overcome our capacity to fail and actually win a flag in the modern era....

Too many unknowns to get excited...i can't be any more than hopeful...
Hey Bob

Come on feel the noise!!!! :wink: