Perth Telecast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
rogerwa wrote:i had a call about 3 or 4 months ago from the sydney supporters group wanting to know where we gather to watch the footy..we had arranged at the time to join forces & watch the game at the karalee

seems the decision has been made to give the karalee the arze as a western saints venue however until they come up with another venue the game can still be seen live at the karalee

i'll give the swines & the karalee a call tomorrow to confirm times

seeing this is no longer a western saints approved venue no bitching,grizzling,whinging or wanking on need take place

imo seeing the karalee has been dumped & is now the swines HOME its only fair they get 1st seating arrangements & if any saints turn up we stand at the back

further update tomorrow
Roger let’s get one thing straight ... the Western Saints didn’t give the Karalee the ARZEE it was the female manager of the Karalee who told me not to organise anymore game functions at the pub !!

And her reason for this...... ONE saints fan who had come down to watch the game had decided (like 90% of us) that we were better off going home to watch the game so she went to cancel her food order (that she had just placed so it wasn’t even close to being cooked ) .. She got all shitty at me (and I didn’t even organise this event I was just there as a Saints fan who just happens to be on the Committee) because she lost ONE sale........ ONE sale.... how many meals/drinks do you think over the time we associated with the Karalee Tavern have the Western Saints / saints fans brought to this tavern ?? How much free publicity did us spruik for the pub??? For her to say we are not welcome after ONE cancelled meal!!!

as for the "bitching,grizzling,whinging or wanking on " I know for a fact that the two Western Saints Representatives at the event not once bitched,grizzlied,whinged or wanked on to the tavern about anything as we understood that the weather was the cause of the problem, now I know some people did but hey we can’t be held responsible for what other people say and do and as you were also one of the people not happy with the telecasts I find it disappointing that you would imply it was the Western Saints "bitching,grizzling,whinging or wanking on "........

By all means go to the Karalee tavern to watch the game.. Get treated to bad service, over priced food, inadequate audio visual equipment and terrible seating but it defiantly won’t be under the Western Saints Banner!!
I agree... If they dont want you there, dont give them business. There will be places that want you and will go out of their way to get you there

The Broadway hotel is our new home.. owned by Carl Ditterich... Put on about 6 free jugs and finger food for the 35 of us last week.. We will be there again this week even though the Lions are playing just down the road so the pub will be smashing

Find a new home.. Speak to someone.. I am sure you will find one

Carn Saints
overitalready
Club Player

I used to live in Girrawheen and went to the Greenwood tavern once or twice for a foxtel game, with 2 other sainters. No dramas there, supporters from the other team were there, nice atmosphere.
But as I live in Rockingham now, I wont be travelling that far, hope to visit some pub much closer to Rocky...
but if the Western Sainters pick a pub somewhere South of the River (SOR), I'm all for it...
Last edited by overitalready on Tue 23 Mar 2010 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, an unselfish woman- what do they all have in common? Answer- we would all like to believe they are true, but they are all fictional.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Trav, The Karalee, Hyde Park or any other pub for that matter that shows Saints games is a meeting place where fellow St Kilda supporters can get together and watch the games. It's never been about the Western Saints and never will be, so I don't think you should associate the two. Basically Roger put in the hard yards to organise a venue once Paul Higgins moved on from the Hydee and first came up with the Civic and then the Karalee. It's meant to be a meeting place for Saints supporters to watch games. If people don't like the service or the seating arrangements or anything else then they should go and find a place that suits them. I don't think the Western Saints or any other organisation should be dragged into a debate of whether one place is better than the other. That's up to the individual.

Another opportunity awaits!
overitalready
Club Player

Moccha, I understand where you're coming from...
the Western Saints are in the debate by default, because some of the people at the venue are members; and yeah, we are free to go to any venue we like, even the Karalee...the manager had an issue and it is her problem.

Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, an unselfish woman- what do they all have in common? Answer- we would all like to believe they are true, but they are all fictional.
Winmarvellous
Club Player

I like the idea of the Greenwood...just up the road :)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:Trav, The Karalee, Hyde Park or any other pub for that matter that shows Saints games is a meeting place where fellow St Kilda supporters can get together and watch the games. It's never been about the Western Saints and never will be, so I don't think you should associate the two. Basically Roger put in the hard yards to organise a venue once Paul Higgins moved on from the Hydee and first came up with the Civic and then the Karalee. It's meant to be a meeting place for Saints supporters to watch games. If people don't like the service or the seating arrangements or anything else then they should go and find a place that suits them. I don't think the Western Saints or any other organisation should be dragged into a debate of whether one place is better than the other. That's up to the individual.
Moccha you have every right to watch the game where ever you like thats your choice

The western Saints represents every West Australian member an while the telecasts have not been about the western saints we have advertised them and we have promoted them and in this situation we have been footed the blame for the NAB Grand final debarkle .

by all means go to the Karalee ... im not stopping you but at the request of the female manager of the Karalee the Western Saints will not be associated with the Karalee again nor will we promote or advertise any telecasts at that venue ..... Remember she told us we are not welcome not us telling them to get stuffed .

i respect the work Roger has done in regards to getting the telecasts but he himself has condemed the Karalee's shortcommings and its suitablility to cater for more than 20 members for a game ...

in the end im over all this crap about the karalee its just a pub and not a very good one at that i wont be returning there and i suspect i wont be alone in that judging from the comments from those there for the g/f game

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Cro
Club Player

Winmarvellous wrote:I like the idea of the Greenwood...just up the road :)
Great place, I'm there most weekends, but I'm not sure they will do games if they aren't on local tv/Fox. I've never seen them do it before.

Does anyone know of any pubs other than the Karalee showing the game this weekend?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:
Winmarvellous wrote:I like the idea of the Greenwood...just up the road :)
Great place, I'm there most weekends, but I'm not sure they will do games if they aren't on local tv/Fox. I've never seen them do it before.

Does anyone know of any pubs other than the Karalee showing the game this weekend?
i think the Bel Eyre Tavern in Belmont has it on im pretty sure some of the people went there after the Karalee signal went dead ... i havent been there for like 10 years so i have no idea what it is like now days

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

its never been a western saints pub...just a pub that morris,tim & myself found that we could watch the footy LIVE EVERY WEEK OF THE SEASON

we (through this forum)told others so they could come along & watch the footy LIVE EVERY WEEK OF THE SEASON if they wished

we get no kick backfrom the pub so it means nothing to us if no one is interested

hundreds have been over the past couple of yrs so everyone knows the pubs limitations re seating,viewing & sound

i reckon this is a communication breakdown...one thing i did make sure of was contacting paul higgins personally every week throughout the season to let him know we were coming down & he always made arrangements for us whether 4 of us turned up or 40 & importantly thanked the pub when we left

i walked away from organizing anything to do with telecasts after the second semi last yr after i'd introduced kim to paul & left it in their capable hands

if anything went wrong on prelim night i'd say it was a simple case of just expecting things to happen ie communication

as for poor seating,sound,car parking etc everyone knows about that..
as for the price of food wouldnt have a clue cause i've never had a meal there although anyone who has a meal at a pub,restaurant has got to be prepared to pay for it or eat at home before the game or buy a packet of potato chips
as for losing the picture thats an act of god he was the one that stuffed up the reception..no one else

as for the lady demanding her money back cause there was no tv reception that also could have been sorted out if i'd known about it....at the time of this socalled tragic event i was in the car listening to the footy & didnt know about it until i'd walked back inside to say seeyas later ,by then everyone had gone except tim who told me what had happened

in case anyone on the committee thinks i'm having a cheap shot at them their wrong....and as you know trav i'm one of only 3 or4 that bothers to turn up to the agm's & are on good terms with all of em...maybe thats now changed but thats life

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

roger
i have no issue with you at all neither do the Western Saints .... and we were happy to take over the organisation of the events as you have done it for soooo long its only fair to spread the load .....
my issue is with the perception that the Western Saints are the bad guys in all of this ... the Female manager of the Karalee needs to understand that yes the Western saints invite our members to the games and yes we promote it via social networks such as Facebook and SS but that does not make us accountable if one of our members voices their dissapointment and requests a refund ...

as i said many times the Karalee have told us we are not to advertise and promote games at the Karalee tavern not us pulling out on them ...

im happy to promote a venue that wants us to promote them .. the Karalee doesnt want us to promote them so be it ....

my gripe is with the female manager of the Karalee not with you or any of the other Western Saints who attend the games

loris
Saintsational Legend

Give you my little bit on this............................ yes for years Paul Higgo has done the right thing by Sainters who want to watch the game............. Karalee, only pub you can get Saints on live over the years when not officially shown in WA...that's for sure.

Since Paul moved to managing at the Karalee after he sold the Hydie Hotel...... it was solely a flexible arrangement for Saints fans to watch a game LIVE.

First we weren't allowed to advertise it going live because rules were being bent to get it live for us......... that's the reason we couldn't get other pubs to do live broadcasts. Word of mouth got around and naturally more Westen Saints came along ....... that eventually included committe members.....who, by the way were obviously quite happy for Higgo to put on buses to/from the pub to get us to and from matches at Subi.

OK I wasn't at the Karalee for last year's final (lucky me was at the 'G')....obviously there was a communication breakdown, from whoever the
committe member was who was supposed to organise it.

Higgo, definitely could'nt be blamed. Paul was in Malaysia/Thailand on holidays at that time...... he was infact watching the footy over there, he goes over there that time each year with mates for the races and watching the footy finals.

Obviously there was a problem last week with reception....again Paul Higgo not to blame. He was at a wedding on that day. Hey but don't we take our chances anytime with satellite reception that is not supposed to be shown in WA live?????

Some may have short memories of other services, provided by THE MANAGER at the Karalee. Remember another time reception was poor and Paul wasn't working. A staff member rang Paul at the family function he was at that evening...... Paul went home from that function to Mt Lawley to get some technical equipment, then drove all the way to Como and fixed up the reception at the Karalee....... then returned back to his family party. Very few pub managers would do that for a group of fans.

So IMHO, take the good with the bad, especially when you are getting something denied to Saints fans in WA a live telecast or as near to live as possible.

I think you will find the female being referred to is an event manager (new position created by the owner I'm told) and not the manager of the hotel.

Possibly it would be better to take up the issue with THE MANAGER or the owner to find out if the group is not welcome at the Karalee anymore....who knows Sainters may not be the flavour of the month. Or talk to them about the issues of poor reception and food pricing. Spitting dummies on the night, by both sides doesn't work..... neither for the customer nor the venue.

'Group Theory 101'...................... "the power and success of informal groups to succeed to organically organise things often surpasses the formal group efforts, when formal groups take over the organising."

Surprise, surprise, it even happens when a group of fans organise a venue to watch a footy match, it goes belly up if people think it's an official function. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Food pricing.......... you are eating in an upmarket area and it becomes priced accordingly. Tough titties, that's a hospitality's venue way of making a profit. Try pub food at nearby locations ie The Como and The Windsor, South Perth....all much of a muchness. Don't compare the pricing at pubs in less affluent areas. That's comparing apples with oranges.

I've been watching Saints footy virtually live in this state since 1997, courtesy of Paul Higgins efforts, and enjoyed the company of Sainters. Sometimes as few as 5 or 6, other times 50 or 60 turn up, never can tell. That's why pubs don't like to set rooms aside for us.

Phew, once there was only Firthy, Roger, Helen & myself sitting in the middle of the dance floor at the Hydie watching it on the big screen....the telecast had ran over time. A 21st birthday was booked for the room. All the guests were there. Higgo held up the band from setting up, the room couldn't be arranged for the guests to be seated until after the Saints theme song was played (as we had won)....then he let the 21st. party crowd take over the room.

When Paul moved to manage the Karalee, it was a bisto tavern not a large cavernous suburban pub, so no such luxury of large rooms to set aside for us. So what became an informal group in a small room, mushroomed at times in numbers. Sometimes the sound and reception disappoints me...but hey I'm watching the Saints........... largely thanks to Higgo.

So wherever Higgo stays or goes, I'm sure to follow, because 90% of the time the effort he makes has suited me fine.

Wow what a rave Loris :lol: :lol: :lol:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

again Loris my issue is not with Paul higgins !! i know he has been great to us in the past and yes he does go above and beyond for us when he is there everything ran smoothly unfortunatly when he isnt his Management staff let him down constantly .....

all this talk of the final last year being a comunication break down is a tad off the mark ... The Western Saints booked the entire dining area for that night as we knew we would get a huge turn out but some how one of Pauls managers decided off his own back to draw a line through our reservation we had members calling the pub to reserve seats in the morning being told that they didnt need to as the whole area was booked out for us and then members calling in the evening told they could reserve seats ?!?!

now you can imagine the crap that fell onto the Western saints heads over that stuff up by the Karalee Tavern we had members drive down from bunbury who tried to book a table but were told they didnt have too who then got turned away cause the person who booked that table had arrived !!!

we Booked the place out i dont see how its a break down in communications when we book and when we turn up all we get is suprised looks that we have arrive to set up that is more mismanagement...

ill admit it pissed me off to no end to be told we are not welcome anymore and ill admit my rant on their prices is more based on my dissapointment in the treatment handed out towards myself so i retract that comment as it was based on anger towards the female manager .....

so moving forward anyone is welcome to watch the footy where ever and when ever they like i have always stood by that but the Western Saints will not promote any events at the Karalee as per their request

janator
Club Player

I'll be watching the game live on tripstream.tk

sensaint
Club Player

Hi overitalready, i live in Rockingham now as well, when you see the Saints flag flying from the roof, that's my place !!

Waiting since '66
St Michele
Club Player

sensaint wrote:Hi overitalready, i live in Rockingham now as well, when you see the Saints flag flying from the roof, that's my place !!
And mine is the place with the Saints board on the top in Warnbro.

Well who would have thought I left the NAB final game a bit disappointed due to the weather which affected the transmission but at no time did i blame the Karalee.

So are we getting together to watch the game this week or not??? If so where are we going???

I can;t beleive I missed all this.... and always appreciate anything organised either by Rog or the Western Saints Committee.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!