StK v. Freo: weird things always happen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

StK v. Freo: weird things always happen

1999. Umpire Peter Carey takes a mark from a Freo short pass. (Considering the trend of umpiring that night, he may have briefly forgotten that he wasn't officially playing for Freo.)

2005. Whispers in the Sky. Free kicks rain on Freo during a tight last quarter after GT bagged the umpiring department days before. Freo wins with a kick after the siren and umpire Matthew Head is heard to say post-match, "Now the umpires know what's it's like to have a win." Thoroughly whitewashed by the AFL. For St Kilda, the loss interrupts what would have been a 10-game winning streak. Also means we finished 4th on the ladder, not third, and played first-placed Adelaide in the first week of the finals, not West Coast.

2006. Sirengate. The AFL bends the rules to award the four points to Freo. A draw -- as it stood for 3 days -- would have meant the Saints finished third on the ladder, not sixth, and would have played second-placed Adelaide in the first week of the finals, not seventh-placed Melbourne. Even with a loss, we would have survived to the second week.

2007. Steven Baker is rubbed out for seven weeks over a bump on Jeff Farmer that no one saw, least of all the TV cameras. (Baker's mistake was to admit that he made contact.) The very next week WCE beats St K by 8 points at the Docklands, with Ben Cousins running riot in a tight last quarter. Baker might well have nullified him (Judd was injured and out of form at the time), meaning the Saints might have got over the line. A win would have put us into the finals for the fourth consecutive year.

2008. A real turning point for the Saints mid-season. After an abysmal performance against Sydney, RL draws a line in the sand, drops Dal Santo and Milne, and the team just gets over the line against Freo at the Dome -- the first in a series of wins. Later that same season (at Subiaco) StK enjoys a thumping win over Freo with an heroic Stephen Milne puffed up like the elephant man.

2009 (preseason): The storm of the century rips through Melbourne, Etihad Stadium is severely damaged, and no one is sure if the match will proceed. It does, eventually ... one hour late.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Was'nt that storm this season?

Kate
Club Player

How about " First gamer Rhys eclipses Fannings goals record!"

degruch
Saintsational Legend

How about St Kilda and Freo unbeaten at the top of the ladder? :P

I know, it's only R4 coming up.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

for 08 you said against SYDNEY milney and Dal were dropped, i thought that was rd 9 vs brisbane at the Gabba? i could be wrong though

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
3:16
Club Player

That's what happens when you let players were purple!!!!!

Freo are Wierd!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

My fault -- I meant to write "2010" for the preseason storm.

If memory serves, Dal Santo and Milne were dropped for the 2008 Freo match after performing poorly against Sydney the week before. Back-up, anyone?

Saintsfan
Club Player

Nick Riewoldt returns after having a penis enlargement instead of a 'hamstring' surgery.

The 'hamstring' was just a cover as he wanted to extend from 11 inches to 14.

The Saintsfan Cometh
milney044
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:My fault -- I meant to write "2010" for the preseason storm.

If memory serves, Dal Santo and Milne were dropped for the 2008 Freo match after performing poorly against Sydney the week before. Back-up, anyone?
That is correct.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
sainta
Club Player

You are correct. They were dropped after a poor performance against Sydney the previous week.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:Nick Riewoldt returns after having a penis enlargement instead of a 'hamstring' surgery.

The 'hamstring' was just a cover as he wanted to extend from 11 inches to 14.
No doubt now....He is Gifted.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

sainta wrote:You are correct. They were dropped after a poor performance against Sydney the previous week.
all good then. for some reason i thought it was the game at the Gabba, i was there and remember them playing pretty poorly, the only highlight from that game was Dal's goal from 50 out on the run, almost impossible possition.
then a few weeks later was also in sydney, i dont think we lost by that much? but should of lost by 10 goals +
soon after that was when we went on to over run Hawthorn was it not? then go play wce over there and some how lose that seeing as at that stage they were shocking and we had just won 3 or 4 very hard games? followed the next week by almost losing to port at home?

was a very weird year that one

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SaintSimmo
Club Player

The weird thing that happens is Freo. :o
The AFL must have been so disappointed when they gave birth to this horrible thing.

Sainter for life.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

saintdooley wrote:
sainta wrote:You are correct. They were dropped after a poor performance against Sydney the previous week.
all good then. for some reason i thought it was the game at the Gabba, i was there and remember them playing pretty poorly, the only highlight from that game was Dal's goal from 50 out on the run, almost impossible possition.
then a few weeks later was also in sydney, i dont think we lost by that much? but should of lost by 10 goals +
soon after that was when we went on to over run Hawthorn was it not? then go play wce over there and some how lose that seeing as at that stage they were shocking and we had just won 3 or 4 very hard games? followed the next week by almost losing to port at home?

Close Dools, it was at Carrara, never forget that game, it was the turning point to our much enjoyed success now. All because of us Gold Coasters of course :wink: :lol:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
saintdooley wrote:

Close Dools, it was at Carrara, never forget that game, it was the turning point to our much enjoyed success now. All because of us Gold Coaters of coarse :wink: :lol:
ahhh now i remember! yes i was at that game also :D i dont think we kicked a goal by quarter time, and all i wanted to do was just get on the next flight home, was so angry. then we won :)

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Something bizarre and strange will inevitably happen this week.

Nobody can predict what.

But i predict Mark Harvey will put on a Freo jumper and play full forward.

Or perhaps a rift in the space-time continuum will appear and Clive Waterhouse will step through and kick 5 goals for freo.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Well I reckon 30,000 might be the strange thing happens but I doubt it!

1 v 2 and potentially Match of the Round is a strange thing.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Re: StK v. Freo: weird things always happen

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:2007. Steven Baker is rubbed out for seven weeks over a bump on Jeff Farmer that no one saw, least of all the TV cameras. (Baker's mistake was to admit that he made contact.)
I've spoken to Bakes personally about this one... and the day he retires is the day I'll post what he said about it.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:2007. Steven Baker is rubbed out for seven weeks over a bump on Jeff Farmer that no one saw, least of all the TV cameras. (Baker's mistake was to admit that he made contact.)
I've spoken to Bakes personally about this one... and the day he retires is the day I'll post what he said about it.
PM me and I'll keep a secret!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
mick13
Club Player

My tip: power to go out at the Dome.

When it comes back on the Village People will be performing their new hit single.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
Personally, I hope this day is a few years away yet!
Although I fear it may come sooner than that...

Solar
Saintsational Legend

volcano in iceland has grounded half the worlds airplane fleet (affecting my father for one).... the gods don't like purple on a footy jumper!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Saint_Bronx
Club Player

we just had a mini earthquake here in good old adelaide, lasted bout 5 seconds

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

This sums up the saints v freo 'rivalry'...

http://rwb2010.wordpress.com/2010/04/16 ... e-rivalry/

Saintsfan
Club Player

will it be bizarre if Fremantle win tonight?

The Saintsfan Cometh