Goddard is.........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

emmdee
Club Player

Goddard is.........

An absolute Rolls Royce player now. Thought he took his game to another level last nite against the tigers, his kicking & decision making under pressure is first class. Has leadership dripping off him IMO.... gives 100% over 4 qtrs & gives so much confidence to the rest of the team when he has the ball in his hands. Is the genuine full package now, plays every position over the ground with class & hardly beaten. I cannot see a weak part of his game at the moment.....think he has grown into a natural leader/go to man ....in the absence of Roo.
Is their a better player in the AFL at this point of the season? I doubt it.
Note: Great to see Raph thriving now he is gaining confidence.

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard is.........

emmdee wrote:An absolute Rolls Royce player now. Thought he took his game to another level last nite against the tigers, his kicking & decision making under pressure is first class. Has leadership dripping off him IMO.... gives 100% over 4 qtrs & gives so much confidence to the rest of the team when he has the ball in his hands. Is the genuine full package now, plays every position over the ground with class & hardly beaten. I cannot see a weak part of his game at the moment.....think he has grown into a natural leader/go to man ....in the absence of Roo.
He's got to be considered Top 10 in the comp.

Ablett
Judd
Roo
Pav
Brown
Buddy
Hodge
BJ
Sandi
Chapman

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintslegendLH
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
emmdee wrote:An absolute Rolls Royce player now. Thought he took his game to another level last nite against the tigers, his kicking & decision making under pressure is first class. Has leadership dripping off him IMO.... gives 100% over 4 qtrs & gives so much confidence to the rest of the team when he has the ball in his hands. Is the genuine full package now, plays every position over the ground with class & hardly beaten. I cannot see a weak part of his game at the moment.....think he has grown into a natural leader/go to man ....in the absence of Roo.

Ablett
Judd
Roo
Pav
Brown
Buddy
Hodge
BJ
Sandi
Chapman
i agree with all of them but buddy, one of our mids, joey dal or even lenny makes it into the top 10 before buddy imo

The Mullet
Club Player

Phenomenal game last night.

That pass to Milney was just typical BJ, sometimes we take it for granted, but the precision, speed and accuracy in his kicking is something to behold. Easily the best foot in the game today. And to think some opposition supporters were still bringing up the Goddard vs Wells debate little over a year ago! :lol:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintslegendLH wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

Ablett
Judd
Roo
Pav
Brown
Buddy
Hodge
BJ
Sandi
Chapman
i agree with all of them but buddy, one of our mids, joey dal or even lenny makes it into the top 10 before buddy imo
bartel is above joey dal and lenny imo

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintnick12
Club Player

BJ is ..........A star....pure and simple.

I used to feel bad for him in the early years that he was always compared unfavourably to the likes of Judd and moved all over the ground without really being able to settle. He has come back magnificently from his knee reco, and also also seems a little more relaxed when interviewed these days. One of my favourite players now

Interesting to hear Paul Roos doing special comments in our game last Saturday night - when asked who he would take from each team if only allowed to pick one - named BJ for us. Of course qualified it by saying that was because Roo wasn't available. Great for him that he is now being recognised for the star he is. Rossy loves him too...and rightly so. So versatile.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Goddard is GOD
G Ablett Snr is DOG

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
busso mick
Club Player

He is the best kick in the comp bar none and as good as Buckley when he was playing. He would also be the best utility around as he can play forward, back & mid with little adjustment to his game. His aerial work has improved as well and was brilliant last night in defence.

Calais
Club Player

Our next captain?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Calais wrote:Our next captain?
I try not to envisage a St Kilda without Nick.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintnick12
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
I try not to envisage a St Kilda without Nick.
Me too. But I think BJ will be right up there when the time come. Mind you, being only two and a half years younger, it might not happen. Maybe he will be made vice captain when Lenny retires. Seems to really being growing into a leadership role within the team, especially in Roo's absence. Is he in the leadership group this year?

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintnick12
Club Player

Article on Goddard on the saints website

http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/new ... fault.aspx

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

He's very good. Can play anywhere.

Not bad for a player they couldn't find a position for years ago.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

No way, do you see the way he goes off at team-mates due to an error, not what you want from a captain

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:He is the best kick in the comp bar none and as good as Buckley when he was playing. He would also be the best utility around as he can play forward, back & mid with little adjustment to his game. His aerial work has improved as well and was brilliant last night in defence.
good call busso mick. my mate and i were just talking about this last week. BJ and Bucks is a very good comparison. Lots of similarities there. Both great kicks. can play a number of roles. and about as good each other. i reckon bj is that good. both grumpy young men too. bj is a shoe in for next captain.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:
No way, do you see the way he goes off at team-mates due to an error, not what you want from a captain
I reckon that's exactly what you want from your captain.

shmic_s
Club Player

snoopygirl wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
I agree. Teams need leadership on the field even more these days. Need to know when to hold possession, when to press etc. Some players need to be told when they do something wrong.

He can be quite emotional out on the field. Wears his heart on his sleeve, which may count against him. But nothing wrong with giving the odd team mate a bake if they do something wrong.

Any way, hes a gun player. Easily the best utility going around. And in the top 3 players in the league so far this season.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

hes grumpy. no doubt. might mellow after he wins a flag this year :-)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Far from it.

Would you want that from a manager?

Captains need to know how to get the best out of players. Going off at people isnt the right method for everyone.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Best field kick in the comp atm.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ace
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Far from it.

Would you want that from a manager?

Captains need to know how to get the best out of players. Going off at people isnt the right method for everyone.
Captains are just media faces for the club and sponsors now.
They need to be articulate and politically correct.
It helps if they can play OK.

Teams have on field leaders and Goddard is already one.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
starsign
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:BJ is ..........A star....pure and simple.

I used to feel bad for him in the early years that he was always compared unfavorably to the likes of Judd and moved all over the ground without really being able to settle. He has come back magnificently from his knee reco, and also also seems a little more relaxed when interviewed these days. One of my favorite players now

Interesting to hear Paul Roos doing special comments in our game last Saturday night - when asked who he would take from each team if only allowed to pick one - named BJ for us. Of course qualified it by saying that was because Roo wasn't available. Great for him that he is now being recognized for the star he is. Rossy loves him too...and rightly so. So versatile.
Maybe in hindsight it hasn't done any harm playing chess piece in the early days!
Parkin on ABC radio lest night labeled him as the best all rounder come utility in the game!
Does wear his heart on his sleeve and mute point re any captaincy debate ...but for mine not a problem , and I recon he's a born leader
He certainly has tempered it a bit ,particularly with the umps , but you gotta have the fire in the belly for mine, and I just love him
BJ's temperament when combined (and matched) with the skill, and courage of Roo & Lenny, is the vital ingredient that personifies the Spirit of the Saints nowdays and hopefully it can take us that final step!!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Captains are, most importantly, on field leaders, leading by example. Roo does it in buckets, so too Lenny, and now Gods. Think we would have won the GF last year if he didn't get injured.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

The last thing you want is for the captain screaming at a young player for a simple mistake. I just dont think that is what a captain should do. On field leadership?? what absolutely going off at one of your team-mates for a small error?? that isint on field leadership, well not im my eyes

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:hes grumpy. no doubt. might mellow after he wins a flag this year :-)

Angry, angry young man.