CONGRATS STEVIE MILNE- 200 GAMES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

milney044
Club Player

CONGRATS STEVIE MILNE- 200 GAMES

I'm guessing there's gunna be a fair few posts dedicated to the Yap this week, but as a long time FANATIC of the little bloke and suggestion from sainterone, I thought i'd pay my own personal tribute.

Milney made his debut for the club back in 2001 where the Saints were struggling and hit hard with injuries. From there where he kicked his first goal to now playing his 200th, i have watched with interest and delight as our 176cm rookie has grown into the player he is now.
At a time where there wasn't too much to cheer about, Milney brought some excitement to the game with his "dancing feet" as the commentators would call it, and his amazing ability to kick a goal from anywhere. He was awarded our most improved player in 2002 and earnt himself a spot in the Australian squad to take on Ireland. Milney's been my favourite for 9 straight seasons and I've loved every minute of unpredictablity he brings to the game. He gets me off my seat and still gets the heart racing now, it's amazing after what will be 10 seasons, he still has that incredible goal sense and the ability to lift the side when it appears down and out.

I've watched him win many games off his own boot, contrary to many people's opinion that he can't perform in big games. Milney has been an asset to our club and i really respect the passion he shows for the St Kilda Football Club, you can tell the guy bleeds red, white and black and you only need vision of the song after a game for this to be highlighted even further. Earlier in his career Milney mentioned 200 games was a long term goal of his, and it's a credit to him that he's worked his way to this milestone. Not many blokes make it as a permanent small forward, but Milne's beaten the odds and proven the doubters wrong once again as he notches up his 200th this week.

I love the way Milney goes about his footy, the way he pumps up the fans along with his teammates, the way he runs to the centre and claps on the boys when the chips are down, the way he rubs it in to the opposition cheer squad and his opponents and the way he celebrates every goal like its his last. He's one of a kind and we're lucky he's ours.

Lastly, I'll give mention to the way he treats his fans including myself over the years. He's always been approchable and up for a chat and it's definitely not something i'll take for granted. It's been unbelievable having a favourite player who provides so much on the field and then gives that little extra off it. If I don't get the chance to thank him for that once his career finishes, I say thanks in advance now!

Congratulations Stephen Milne, 200 electrifying games.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Great post :)
I am a big fan of our passionate and talented little bloke as well. Very glad he is a sainter.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
shmic_s
Club Player

Well said mate.

Love Milney. Always been an exciting player, who can lift his team and its supporters. He never gives up, always trying to create something.

He has shown in his past couple of years that he will work hard and continue to improve his all round game, not only on the field but off it. He has shown amazing character over the years. A champion player and still underrated by many.

All the best in your 200th Milney!

SB10
Club Player

Bloody oath. Great post. Milney is an out and out star and plays one of the toughest roles in footy. People forget how bloody hard it is to play consistent footy in a forward pocket.

Unlike midfielders who get let off the leash every second week, Milney gets a putrid little back pocket molesting him at every moment. Yet the little gem bobs up time and time again with that burst of inspiration and miraculous goal. And often when the team needs it.

When my two footy obsessed kids play footy in the park, theyre always trying to emulate their heroes. Apart from trying to take a mark on the lead like Roo, the only other player they want to take off is Milney. Time and time again it's......."Milney from the boundary....and goal with a fist pump like only Milney can do".

And contrary to what many think, when the chips are down and we need a lift, there's only one bloke that regularaly answers the call and it's Milney.

I love the fact that all my mates (and it's probably the same with most) hate Miley with a passion. Without fail they always pipe up with an outburst at the footy, only to get the little maestro bite them on the arse with that match winning goal. There's no better feeling than Milney kicking that winning goal and sticking it right up them.....

Well done champ....you'll go down as one of our most memorable players and as stated by one commentator over the weekend, (can't remember who), would not look out of place in a forward pocket in the Saints Team of the Century.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Great OP. My favourite player as well. Love the little fella. Great achievement for him to play 200 games and I especially like the way he's developed his game beyond just being an opportunistic goalsneak. He's one of the best small forwards to play the game. Go Milney. Congrats on 200.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Love the Milne dog. Would love to see him kick a bagfull in a big win against the Shockers this weekend.

CONGRATS MILNEY - A GREAT EFFORT FROM A GREAT SAINTER

Prodgers
Club Player

Don't forget the awesome goals per game average over these 200 games.

Well done Milney and a great post too. :D

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Thanks Milney 044, fabulous tribute. We have a very soft spot for Milney as he is our daughters favourite player. And what a player he is and he just seems to get better with age. Over the years he has given us so much enjoyment and that is why I call him "The Excitement Machine". Not to mention how he has stepped up with Roo out. You are awesome Stephen Milne, congratualtions on your 200th game, so glad you are a Sainter. :lol:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Yay! Congrats Milney...kick a bag and come back in better condition than your last trip West to take on Freo!

Sainterman
Club Player

He is a little champ!! So many sublime goals (another absolute ripper on the weekend at the perfect time) and contrary to media perception is a good player in big games and has saved us from the jaws of defeat on so many occasions.

And, as SB10 said above, I like that all my mates hate him too. We tend to feel that way about the players that have that potential to cut us up. I always tell them they are only complaining cos they don't have him!

I love watching him play and he has only gotten better and better with each game he plays.

Congrats Milney, well done mate! Tear em another new one on the weekend. 200 really is a great effort and very well deserved.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

When my mates starting mouthing about how much they dont like him I just laugh, because its always followed by a complaint about how he can pull goals out of impossible angles and if thats the worse thing they can find to say about him then I will happily take that on the chin.

I love the fact that he gets vocal and urges the boys on the fact that he seems to stir up opposition players and fans is a bonus, if they are focused on Milne then they arent focusing on the footy.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Year of the Milney. 200 plus games, 400 plus goals, wins the grand final for us! Love the Milne.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Year of the Milney. 200 plus games, 400 plus goals, wins the grand final for us!
that would shut a few big, fat gobs, wouldn't it.

they do have a point, though, in that milne's performances in finals have not been memorable.

Sainterone
Club Player

Well done to Stephen Milne - a fabulous effort to reach the milestone of 200 games. :D

So many superb goals in the ten years that he has played for the mighty Saints.

Good Luck to Milney on Sunday and for the remainder of his career.

...and great post milney044 - a wonderful tribute.

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
Sainterone
Club Player

Career Stats:

199 games 403 goals average 2 plus
averaging 11.5 disposals per game (13.6 since 2007)
averaging 1.6 tackles per game (1.9 since 2007)

At Docklands:

107 games 257 goals average 2.4

At MCG:

34 games 57 goals average 1.7

everywhere else (exc MCG):

58 games 89 goals average 1.5

Yes, Milney struggles to kick bags away from home - there has to be something in that saying "home ground advantage"

Best performances v opposition clubs:

36 goals v carlton (13 games)
32 goals v richmond (14 games)
31 goals v brisbane (11 games)
30 goals v weagles (13 games)

Longest streaks of scoring a goal every game:

37 games for 85 goals R17 2001 to R12 2003
23 games for 61 goals R7 2008 to R5 2009
11 games for 29 goals R1 2005 to R11 2005
11 games for 26 goals R1 2010 to R11 2010 (current unbroken streak)

Performances in winning / losing games:

270 goals in 108 winning games at an average of 2.5
131 goals in 89 losses at an av of 1.5
2 goals in 2 draws

Performances in Finals:

14 goals in 7 winning games at an av of 2.0
5 goals in 6 losing games at an av of < 1.0

shows that it is much tougher to kick goals in finals, given the quality of the opposition teams.

Bags of goals:

Milne has kicked bags of 5 or more on 14 occasions (for 14 wins)
Interestingly, has kicked bags of 4 on 19 occasions (for 13 wins) - each of the six losses came when the team was struggling to win games in 2001 and 2002

Memorable goals:

ALL 403!!!

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Well Done Milney!

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Good work Milney! Love what you do for us! Get out there and have a ball today!!!

RoseInOz
Club Player

Congratulations Milney.
I have always loved the way you play. Your guts and humour are a lesson to all Saints players.
I don't care if you are a bit greedy with the ball as long as you keep kicking goals and entertain us like you do.
WELL DONE!!!

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Great post

Well done to the Tip Rat, hope he enjoys the night

I love this club
didzee
Club Player

Good onya Milney always love your work!

Congrats on the 200!

Carry on

Trevor1Barker

Proud player sponsor 2022
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Well done Milney, much deserved, sensational month, the job has just begun though. Keep going for 10 weeks, and then a massive September.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Such a worthy tribute in the week leading up

and what a true champ's effort in response to a big occasion

Not only his own, but his Team's need

Do I now think there is method to Grant Thomas's weirdness?
Sainterone wrote:Career Stats:

Memorable goals:

ALL 403!!!
Every One

Just like tonight

battye
Saintsational Legend

Congrats Milney on the 200, great game today.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Well done Milney on a great career.

As far as tonight goes, your first half set up the win.