Lake gone for 2-3 weeks as per new 'Baker's Law'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I hope Lake goes. The Dogs crack it. and Lake gets off.

Now thatd be something...
Based on what though....the fact that Baker got off for similar?

No, the MRP will be under so much pressure this weekend, I hope they are all squirming.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

No, the MRP will be under so much pressure this weekend, I hope they are all squirming.
I just hope the Dogs kick up. Will be interesting. Wonder if he'll be labelled "unmanly".

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I just hope the Dogs kick up. Will be interesting. Wonder if he'll be labelled "unmanly".
Ah, but he won't be labelled unmanly, just his actions :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Good point.If I kill someone its not me ....just the act that ought be demonised..

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Good point.If I kill someone its not me ....just the act that ought be demonised..
I can't tell if you're serious, but hoping you worked out that I wasn't....

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting week ahead for doggies fans. Just saw the incident. Based on Bakes situation he has to go.

I don't like it, but thought the MRP made a rod for their own back with their decisions.

Will bite them......

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Interesting week ahead for doggies fans. Just saw the incident. Based on Bakes situation he has to go.

I don't like it, but thought the MRP made a rod for their own back with their decisions.

Will bite them......
It will also bite those who danced on Bakes grave...

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The AFL and the MRP have created a rod for their back. They seem to be after the 'taggers' and what they perceive to be their 'unmanly' tactics.

They penaiised Baker to make a statement. We will see exactly 'what' the statement is come Monday night.

My guess is he will get a week that will be downgraded to a reprimand if he pleads guilty. In saying that, I am not sure what Lake's record is at the tribunal though. Can't even think if he has appeared before the tribunal before.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigred
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:Unmanly.

I lol'd

Betcha he gets zero weeks.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
battye
Saintsational Legend

I just saw the incident (delayed telecast).

Nothing in it, should be thrown out.

8 weeks if the Baker rule is used however.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
DJKCR
Club Player

Jesus people get over it. It was nothing like any of the Bakes's hits, last week all punches bar the "unmanly" hand punch landed on Steve Johnsons head. You cannot be serious putting the Lake love tap on Buddy's stomach in the same category as Bakes last week. I would think Buddy would be in more trouble for diving.

"I don't roll on Shabbas" Walter Sobchak
BakesFan
SS Life Member

ahhh, I think I get it...... so both Lake and Franklin are unmanly?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:What bulls***, You guys serious? If Lake goes for that, Ill never go to another game again.

What do you people want to turn this game into?

Some sort of pseudo hippy netball bulls***? FFS! :twisted:
agree. but fist was clenched, was 'behind' play...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Baker case a watershed: Anderson

"THE AFL has issued a crackdown on players looking to interfere with their opponent behind the ball in the wake of St Kilda midfielder Steven Baker's nine-week suspension............"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Going off that I'd say Lakes's gone.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:What bulls***, You guys serious? If Lake goes for that, Ill never go to another game again.

Do we apply the Baker rule, or the Maguire rule?

If Maguire rule is applied, this was definitely not behind the play. It was clearly within 100metres of the ball.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SENsaintsational wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Do we apply the Baker rule, or the Maguire rule?

If Maguire rule is applied, this was definitely not behind the play. It was clearly within 100metres of the ball.
Good point. So do we follow 'Baker's Law' or 'BBBH's Law'? Interesting argument. Hmm, not allowed to use precedence so really it could go either way. So it looks like it will come under 'AFL Law'.

So we ask ourselves this, do the AFL want to make a statement about Lake's actions? Do they want to target defenders now as well as taggers?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:Baker case a watershed: Anderson

"THE AFL has issued a crackdown on players looking to interfere with their opponent behind the ball in the wake of St Kilda midfielder Steven Baker's nine-week suspension............"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Going off that I'd say Lakes's gone.
definition of 'interfere' is their 'get out'.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

someone make this a sticky so we can record every example of "Baker's Law" not being applied.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish.

Lake tickled Buddy who had his forearm there.

Nothing AT ALL in it.

We need to move on.

We all know the MRP and the system is a travesty, but if you want something like this incident having players getting weeks, we will be watching VFL players in our team because everyone will be suspended.

If lake goes it our game is absolutelty shot.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
realdeal
Club Player

BakesFan wrote:after the goal.. Buddy celebrating with arms outstretched...
jogging towards a team-mate(shouldn't be expecting any contact as the game hasn't re-commenced).....
Lake runs in and sucker punches Buddy in the stomach ('a la Hall on Maguire).....Buddy goes to ground sucking air......

"Not the sort of thing we should have to put up with.."

..over to you MRP!
thats abit of a stretch... he hardly made any contact and buddy was trying to milk it.

Baker's suspension was crazy but im also a footy fan and I'd hate for people to get suspended for little things like the Lake contact.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Rubbish.

Lake tickled Buddy who had his forearm there.

Nothing AT ALL in it.

We need to move on.

We all know the MRP and the system is a travesty, but if you want something like this incident having players getting weeks, we will be watching VFL players in our team because everyone will be suspended.

If lake goes it our game is absolutelty shot.
I absolutely agree, but I've looked at it again this morning after recording it last night (super game, actually) and there is no doubt that the fist was clenched, it was swung with some force, and it made contact. It was off the ball. In fact it wasn't even in play at all.

Surely, on the basis of last week's events, it simply has to be looked at.

I can't see how it can't be referred.

I'm well moved on by the way.

But consistency is consistency.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Warning: you may not enjoy reading this, I'm not so sure I'm going to enjoy writing it!!

When Bakes got done, I said it happens a few times, sometimes a dozen times every match. Cheap shots in the guts, kidney punches, jumper punches, flying elbows, its not going to change anything.

Every match this year so far, and every match this weekend will have incidents which could have players rubbed out. But they wont, so why bother with this talk?? The MRP have been unreasonably inconsistant for years.

To try, and I mean really TRY (not easy for me to do) to look at this from a non St Kilda perspective, we've been desperately unlucky this year with Kozi and Bakes, but we've also gotten away with a couple. Joey and Lenny have been lucky not to be done this year on a couple of occasions (each). I'm sure if Lenny's elbow was Baker doing it, he woulda got a week at least - or his head high bump was Kozi for that matter. (Don't get me wrong, Lenny's my favourite player but he was bloody lucky there)

Comments on Saintsational have been correct, it does depend on who you are and I'm sure certain players are blacklisted, but that is also the case for within the Saints as well.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Pretty fair assessment, St Ick.

However the AFL and MRP have now called the tune...it'll be interesting to see if they choose to dance to it.........

There's no doubt in my mind it's time for an Administration change at AFL Headquarters...the current mob have painted themselves into a corner.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:Pretty fair assessment, St Ick.

However the AFL and MRP have now called the tune...it'll be interesting to see if they choose to dance to it.........

There's no doubt in my mind it's time for an Administration change at AFL Headquarters...the current mob have painted themselves into a corner.
You said it.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

should be 1 to 2 weeks with a discount and early plea.

lake played well, and is probably the best defender in the competition atm.

Buddy should have got a free, bad umpiring.

Looked bad on TV reply, buddy wasn't expecting it, soft and weak by lake.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!