Does Eddy get his chance?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Does Eddy get his chance?

Now, first of all, I know a lot of you are not fans of Rob Eddy. Anyone who believes they may not be able to contain themselves from bagging our players in this thread can leave.

But, I can't help but think that maybe Eddy gets a go this week at McQualters expense. Mini's main role, most of you would agree, is defensive pressure inside the forward 50. On top of this, Ross would expect him to contribute to the scoreboard most weeks.

I just don't think he is currently doing enough. Maybe Eddy should be brought in to play this role, because this might do a couple of benificial things.

1. Eddy knows that Ross has confidence in him. I know some of you don't rate Eddy, but no one can take away his great work ethic on the field. When it's his turn to go, he will go. He is very team orientated also. Eddy could really take this challenge on, and it could provide massive dividends.

2. Lets Mini know that, as good as he was last year, he still needs to prove he owns a spot. It will encourage Mini to work harder to regain some of his 09 form. I know he is a leader at the club, but Ross has dropped senior players before. The kick up the backside might be what he needs. Just like the little message Clarko gave to Sewell a couple of weeks ago.

Thoughts?
Remember, critisism is acceptable in a constructive manner. Any blatant bagging of our players is not good enough.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Even if just for a rest, I think this would be a good move...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I am a rob Eddy person, but there is no way he gets a game this week. Yesterday was his first game for over a month with Sandy. He has been out injured, if you didn't know.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:I am a rob Eddy person, but there is no way he gets a game this week. Yesterday was his first game for over a month with Sandy. He has been out injured, if you didn't know.
I did not know, thankyou for this.

Maybe in the coming weeks then.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

When he was flying last year in the seconds,and we were flying,when he got in he continually coughed it up. We lost a Grand Final from poor skills.

He's not in our best 22,depth player only. Like his commitment,just not his excecution

Bring back the Lockett era
StPeter
Club Player

Neither Eddy or McQualter should get a game this week.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

StPeter wrote:Neither Eddy or McQualter should get a game this week.

Who would you like to see instead?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:He's not in our best 22,depth player only.
it's only depth if you actually use it once in a while. despite him only having one game back from injury, i'd probably give him a game this week.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Having watched him try hard in a pretty depressingly dismal Sandy effort on the weekend I'd say he was 1 probably 2 weeks away from being ready to put his hand up. Was puffing pretty heavily at the siren and on rotations...

Stanley looked like a reasonable 'effort' player in a crap side. Gaertner was the only other listed bloke who looked anywhere near good enough.

Heyne, Lynch, Smith, Patto did sweet FA to then point I was whacking the boundary fence very hard with my Record. No second efforts. Lazy. IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
35...LEGEND
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Having watched him try hard in a pretty depressingly dismal Sandy effort on the weekend I'd say he was 1 probably 2 weeks away from being ready to put his hand up. Was puffing pretty heavily at the siren and on rotations...

Stanley looked like a reasonable 'effort' player in a crap side. Gaertner was the only other listed bloke who looked anywhere near good enough.

Heyne, Lynch, Smith, Patto did sweet FA to then point I was whacking the boundary fence very hard with my Record. No second efforts. Lazy. IMO.
Hard to fathom why all the fringe players wouldn't be busting their ar$e$ and thrusting their names in front of Ross and co :? .............especially at this time of year. Not a good sign and very disappointing if the effort is as you say.

No wonder you were going off... :evil:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
Thinline wrote:Having watched him try hard in a pretty depressingly dismal Sandy effort on the weekend I'd say he was 1 probably 2 weeks away from being ready to put his hand up. Was puffing pretty heavily at the siren and on rotations...

Hard to fathom why all the fringe players wouldn't be busting their ar$e$ and thrusting their names in front of Ross and co :? .............especially at this time of year. Not a good sign and very disappointing if the effort is as you say.

No wonder you were going off... :evil:
Maybe it was just a dirty day against an underestimated, fast and young opponent, but geez...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ace
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
StPeter wrote:Neither Eddy or McQualter should get a game this week.

Who would you like to see instead?
I heard HE was back at the club recently.

Now a young Tony Lockett standing at full forward in front of our present mid field would make Malthouse, Thompson and Eade raise the white flag.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I would really like to see our Saints listed players start to bust their guts a bit more at Sandy.

FQF
SS Life Member

I would think Geary is much more of a chance to replace Mini.

I cannot fathom why Mini is still in the team. Yes, his tackling is reasonably good, but this defensive forward role is becoming a key element of many top teams.

For example, Osborne pulled it off to perfection against Gilbert, whilst also being dangerous on the offensive.

Now if we want to compete with the best, we must have the best players on every line to do the job.

If Mini hasn't figured it out this late in the year what to do, then its time for a replacement.

Not quite sure who. Maybe a minor shuffle when Baker and Raph become available, or Geary. Not quite sure. But the facts remain that he is a player, playing a very important role, and not up to standard.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I would think Geary is much more of a chance to replace Mini.

I cannot fathom why Mini is still in the team. Yes, his tackling is reasonably good, but this defensive forward role is becoming a key element of many top teams.

For example, Osborne pulled it off to perfection against Gilbert, whilst also being dangerous on the offensive.

Now if we want to compete with the best, we must have the best players on every line to do the job.

If Mini hasn't figured it out this late in the year what to do, then its time for a replacement.

Not quite sure who. Maybe a minor shuffle when Baker and Raph become available, or Geary. Not quite sure. But the facts remain that he is a player, playing a very important role, and not up to standard.
58% game time this week and only 2 tackles says the coach has had enough. Only 1 tackle last week as well. He'll be at TBBO on Sunday.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Agree that Geary would suit the pressure forward role better.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

eddy's a chance....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.