That feeling! I felt sick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:That was a freakin hard quarter of football to watch.
+1

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Foz
Club Player

THAT roar still haunts me days on - yes the goal was disallowed and all turned out fine but it was a sickening experience to go through for any Saints fan.

It was the longest quarter ever to sit through. Ever. You could just feel the tidal wave of momentum against us but we couldn't stem the tide.

The relief when it finally came down the Punt Rd end was enormous. Every push to the boundary was like finding gold - pure joy.

There was a massive sing-fest after the siren behind the Cheer Squad. Easy decision to join the party before trudging through the rain.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

I was there on fri night just left of the goals .... the cats cheer squad were below and the cheer when ling kicked the goal was deafening .. when it became obvious we had a free kick and the goal did not stand I was totally bemused and had no idea of what really happened until after the game ...
Check out the cats fans reaction .....they were totally shattered ... made me smile .... :D
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752619

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

My heart just sank and I turned to my mate and said, I think my exact words were (please excuse the profanities), "F#CK. We are fair dinkum F#CKING cursed."

He had his head in his hands and I was first to realise a free had been awarded.

Then I said: "Hey, WTF has happened here? It's a free ... a free to us!"

"There is a God."

I've had elation turn to despair, but never despair to elation. The relief.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 06 Sep 2010 2:34pm, edited 3 times in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I saw the ball dribble through, the crowd behind those goals and the bay next to us go berserk..and I just felt....empty...

Heard people say "Its a free kick" and I just assumed it was a free to Geelong and they were bringing it back....then saw a few Saints fans in front of us standing and cheering...and looked at the play to see all the players racing away from Geelongs goal and a Saints player with the ball in his hands.

Once I knew the goal wasnt allowed I knew we'd win, but that last minute went for hours. I should make a public apology to Eastern for screaming "HOW LONG TO GO?????" at him at every stoppage...his crime was having a radio glued to his ear.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I just assumed somehow that Gwilt had been reported for using his back in an illegal manner. I saw the free, called it, but was so sure the umpires had money on the game, that they were about to give them a 2 goal lead.
Am i biased or did it seem like every time Geelong got a free in the second half it was in their forward half of the ground? We hardly seemed to get a free from half time.

Just love to see that sandwich scoffing vanity unit getting upset. It's about time that ego driven fish face got his comeuppance. Next those collingwood tools need sorting.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

That moment when the ball went through and the cats started celebrating I think my insides collapsed. I thought I was going to be sick.

When I saw the ball being called back I dont think I quite believed it, I dont think I breathed again till that final siren went. Watching the ball sailing back down into our forward 50 was a beautiful thing.

Apologises to the neighbours for the squeals and cheers :oops:

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
markp
Saintsational Legend

I stood up to watch the ball slowly dribble through, as 60,000 people held their breath... the roar hit me like a nuclear blast. I turned around and seriously thought about dropping to my knees and burying my head in the seat... then that moment of confusion, a pulse, and we were back from the dead.

When the guy behind me said 9 seconds, I literally started screaming.

A game and a moment that will never be forgotten.

What a year.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Heading into that last qtr with only 11points up and I had this awful feeling it was going to happen again! I was near the Geelong cheer squad and the noise was so loud as they were coming into our 50 that I never heard the whistle...I only saw Lings ball roll through - I was absolutely gutted!! And then..... :D :D :D :D Oh yes! And THEN!! :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Am i biased or did it seem like every time Geelong got a free in the second half it was in their forward half of the ground? We hardly seemed to get a free from half time.
I thought the same, but on reflection and having calmed down a bit, to be fair about it:

1) Geelong players (Selwood and Stevie J. in particular) are experts at milking free kicks for high contact;

2) The umpires are under heavy instruction to protect the head at all costs.

(On the replay five or 10 minutes earlier after Selwood "earned" a free in front of goal for high contact you can hear Jimmy Gwilt arguing with the umpire that Selwood ducked his head into the tackle. The umpire - same one who ruled against Ling's goal - told him "you've got to aim to tackle around the waist".);

3) The ball WAS in Geelong's forward 50 for most of the quarter.

I don't like it (because it doesn't seem within the spirit of the game), but since the Cats are so adept at exploiting the rules, perhaps our guys should take some acting lessons over summer.

Milne needs to learn how not to give them away and others to learn how to get them.

Ablett, like other champions (Judd, Harvey, Leigh Matthews) is hardly ever pinged for holding the ball, hence his surprise at being penalised on Friday night. But he is a separate case.

Like the aforementioned he is exceptionally strong at keeping his feet and you really have to nail the tackle to catch him.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i had actually thrown the earpiece out of my ear a few mins before hand as Brawshaw was giving me the shites big time.
the girl kept it in her ear and when lingy kicked it (we were the other end, so all i could see was the ball go up and thru the goals) i burried my head in my hands.

then im violently shaked and getting yelled at
"free kick, he paid a free kick !!"

unreal moment

Kris1
Club Player

Just reading this thread and thinking back to those last moments of the game has honestly brought a tear to my eye.

I remember the roar from the cats in the next bay, then the confusion, the elation, the clock watching and the pride at watching Riewoldt going third man up and time after time belting the ball to the touchline in the forward pocket right in front of us as the seconds ticked down.

Sublime...

bozza1980
Club Player

Sam23 wrote:Luckily saw the free kick as it happened.. Few Saints supporters looking at me like "WTF" when I was jumping around happy haha.

I seriously considered walking out of the ground, I was feeling physically ill I just wanted the result to be known then find out.

I could not handle it, all worth it in the end!
I too saw the umpire award the free kick and tried to let all those around me know, however it was still an awful feeling because the Geelong celebration did have me starting to doubt myself.

It was great when the Geelong cheering turned to moans, that said when the pass from the free went to one of our players' backs I felt very queasy!!

It was an amazing feeling when the siren finally went!!

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I too had a tear welling until I worked out what was going on…

After the excitement of the win wore off, I was feeling pretty pissed off at the way we approached/set up for that last quarter. We got lucky but, how could we reasonably expect to simply protect an 11 point lead against the cats?

We basically raised a white flag… I would have thought we'd have learnt from last year.

(Yes this is my first post)

dragit

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:We basically raised a white flag
I don't think anyone surrendered, but yes, the focus seemed to be on saving, rather than winning, the game.

We won, so no real complaints.

bozza1980
Club Player

dragit wrote:I too had a tear welling until I worked out what was going on…

After the excitement of the win wore off, I was feeling pretty pissed off at the way we approached/set up for that last quarter. We got lucky but, how could we reasonably expect to simply protect an 11 point lead against the cats?

We basically raised a white flag… I would have thought we'd have learnt from last year.

dragit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they protect an 11 point 3/4 time lead??

If they did protect it, and I think they did, because they are in the prelim final and Geelong aren't, doesn't that support why they would reasonably expect to protect an 11 point 3/4 time lead against the cats.

That said, you are doing the cats a disservice by suggesting their onslaught was only due to our decision to defend rather than attack. Our choice to defend had as much to do with their dominance as it did with a desire to hang on.

There are a lot of glass half empty people here, we beat a very good team at the G in September. We have put ourselves in a very good position to qualify for our second succesive GF and if I'm not mistaken, only teams that play in the GF can win the flag.

Yes, things did go wrong on Friday night but an awful lot went right.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
dragit wrote:I too had a tear welling until I worked out what was going on…

dragit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they protect an 11 point 3/4 time lead??

If they did protect it, and I think they did, because they are in the prelim final and Geelong aren't, doesn't that support why they would reasonably expect to protect an 11 point 3/4 time lead against the cats.

That said, you are doing the cats a disservice by suggesting their onslaught was only due to our decision to defend rather than attack. Our choice to defend had as much to do with their dominance as it did with a desire to hang on.

There are a lot of glass half empty people here, we beat a very good team at the G in September. We have put ourselves in a very good position to qualify for our second succesive GF and if I'm not mistaken, only teams that play in the GF can win the flag.

Yes, things did go wrong on Friday night but an awful lot went right.
Agree bozza1980.

I think it's fair to say the Coaching Staff and Players know a little bit more about what they're doing than us mere supporters. And I think it's rather insulting to suggest they don't.

Yet that is really what dragit is inferring by suggesting the team hasn't learnt anything from previous experiences.

dragit, I know that was only your first post (and welcome :D ) however in the circumstances I have no choice other than to present you with:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Welcome dragit :)

Not sure the boys could do anything, Geelong certainly lifted in the last, and they were just trying to absorb it and hang on in the end.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the welcomes,
WOW - There's some very touchy ones on here…
Replying to the OP, was just saying how "I" was feeling at the end of the game, I hope Ross and all the players aren't too insulted…
For the Cats (who are a great side) to kick 1.7 to our 1.0 in the last quarter, for me is a little bit of good luck.

Having no-one in your forward line to me suggests that you are not really trying to score - where I felt at 3qtr time that we need to kick at least 2 more goals to win - I'm happily wrong this time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the GF last year I can remember us up at 3qtr time? We then played defensively, didn't kick any goals and lost.

I will say that I am as rapt as anyone at the outcome - the glass is about 80% full for me!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Thanks for the welcomes,
Replying to the OP, was just saying how "I" was feeling at the end of the game, I hope Ross and all the players aren't too insulted…
For the Cats (who are a great side) to kick 1.7 to our 1.0 in the last quarter, for me is a little bit of good luck.

Having no-one in your forward line to me suggests that you are not really trying to score - where I felt at 3qtr time that we need to kick at least 2 more goals to win - I'm happily wrong this time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the GF last year I can remember us up at 3qtr time? We then played defensively, didn't kick any goals and lost.

I will say that I am as rapt as anyone at the outcome - the glass is about 80% full for me!
Touchy?

Touchy?

WHO YOU CALLING TOUCHY! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:D

Grimfang
Club Player

Going into the last quarter (and having missed those shots in the third), I was thinking; "Please, not again!" I just had a feeling it would play out like the last quarter of *that match*. When Ling kicked the non-goal, I was kicking the empty seat in front of me in frustration. Couldn't believe we'd coughed it up to the Cats again!

When we saw the free being paid, I was desperately looking for ANYONE in the crowd with a radio to find out how long there was to go. Oh how sweet the sound of that siren!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
bozza1980
Club Player

dragit wrote:Thanks for the welcomes,

Good to hear that the glass is 80% full.

My point was, that I don't believe the decision at 3/4 time friday night or Grand Final day was "that's it boys, park the bus, that is enough".

I could be wrong though, in fact I am more often than I would like to admit.

On the most part we are in violent agreement, I guess my argument is more that the opposition can play a big part in your tactics. I think in both the GF and last Friday, it was hard to attack when your not getting your hands on the pill.

That said, I will concede that once it got closer to the end on Friday, (after Schneider's goal) I think they started thinking of holding on.

I'm sure Ross and the boys aren't insulted, not that I can speak for any of them, I'm pretty sure you are far from on your own in thinking that we were too defensive in the last qtr.

I hope you, like me, will enjoy the Bulldogs and Swans belt the suitcase out of each other this weekend!!!