Footy script

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Footy script

Hi guys, just thought I'd throw this out there, see what happens.

One of my hobbies is writing screenplays for films. I've done a few features, some shorts, but nothing has been 'dioscovered' yet. I hang out on a cool writer's website called Simplyscripts, where you post your work and people read and review it.
I've made some great frineds around the world, and introduced a few to the Saints and AFL generally.

I started a specifically footy script last year. its called The Last Saturday, and is set in the year 2074, in a ruined Melbourne after the apocalypse or whatever.
The survivors live in 8 tribes that represent footy teams, and their names are that of past players. Through traditions passed down, they cherish the football of the past and each September, a truce is called and the tribes play games of footy on a ravaged MCG. The winners of the GF get a big supply of food and water, so th egames are truly life and death struggles.

The story is told from the view of the Saints tribe (naturally) and the characters have such names as Lockett, Nicky, Cowboy, Big Carl, etc
The tribal spiritual leader is an old guy named Grandfather Robert, 103 years old - yes, its Banger, still alive!

Anyway, the Saints are struggling this particular year, and the old man knows they are in trouble. He searches for and finds an old government bunker under the city. A lab containing a time machine device is located and men are sent back to 2010. They grab Rooey and, well, whoever, they could star as themsleves in the film, I guess. So they bring the current stars back to play for the future Saints, so the tribe won't die out.

In the menatime, an alien spaceship is on its way to Earth! Hey, I know it sounds hokey but bear with me...these aliens years before received broadcasts of old AFL games, studied it,, liked it, and now are travelling to Earth to play a frinedly game against their heroes! Of course they don't know the condition of the Earth and that the past is all gone.
They arrive at the MCG in the miodst of the tribal games, landing on the G itself! Anyway, to cut things short, when they discover the truth, factions of the aliens crack it, and so the scene is set for a titanic game of footy - to decide the fate of mankind...
Picture Friday Night Lights meets Independence Day.

i've written about 40 pages of this and it reads pretty good. Inow how to format properly so I'm not just throwing any s*** together.

what I was kind of hoping was how to get this concept and pitch it to someone who loves their footy and is in the fillm business. Someone like Eric Bana would be the obvious choice!!!

Maybe a Saints fan out there could poiint me a good direction? If anyone wants to read it so far pplease contact me steve-abbey@hotmail.com.

Sorry for the long post but I really think this whole tihng could work!.

Cheers stevie

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

You're not married to someone named Katie by any chance? :wink: :lol:

They walk amongst us...

stevie
Saintsational Legend

If I was, I could star in and direct the film myself! LOL

No, i'm no nutter! I have a very vivid imagination for a normal dude.

Thanks again for the assistance with the rego, Aaron, appreciate it. :D

sainta
Club Player

It sounded alright until you had to bring aliens into it.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

sainta wrote:It sounded alright until you had to bring aliens into it.
Yeah, it takes a bit of a mental leap, I know. But I had a scene in the spaceship, with the aliens having training fields on it and the president of the species watches them go through their paces. They are all looking forward to matching it with their heroes like Ablett, Carey, Dunstall, etc.

Another scene has the old man finding old videos of the AFL past and watching himself play in the 97 GF.

An alternative could be an army of survivors from the desert and the winner takes all.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

You could have aker as an alien plant on earth. His strange lack of empathy finally explained far off in the future.

He could eat his own team mates when he didn't rate their games. Aw f*** we don't need to set that in the future...