Does it suit us to be the underdog?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saint75 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
saint75 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I don't think it will do us any harm at all. In fact it might even spur our guys on a tiny bit, being virtually ignored this week.
You have obviously not watched or listened to this team at all this year. They don't care about adulation or favouritism, they just want to win the ultimate prize.
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:They might want to go out and prove that they're also worthy of some attention.
Refer to above response. They couldn't give a fig about attention. They want the cup. Attention and adulation means nothing. Nobody remembers the hype or the flag favourites from Grand Final week. All they remember and all history shows is who wins the Cup. The rest is irrelevant. This team knows that.
Obviously, you say? Really, why, because you say so? Perhaps, unlike you, I just don't believe everything I'm told. Of course they're going to say that. Did you just come down in the last shower? What else are they going to say?
Not because I say, just the way it is. Actions not words....:wink:
The way it is, is it? I "have obviously not watched or listened to this team at all this year." That's the way it is? So now, along with knowing exactly what is going on in the heads of all 22 of those who will go out there on Saturday ("They couldn't give a fig about attention. They want the cup. Attention and adulation means nothing.") you also know exactly what I've watched and listened to throughout the year as well? Well, clearly not, because I've watched and heard plenty, but as I said, I don't just automatically believe all I hear. As I asked, what else are they going to say?
I believe it's without doubt their main focus, which is again why I used the word "tiny", in my initial post, but I'm not naive enough to be making all these statements of fact, without having all these facts, or to think that the "Saints bubble" is 100% impenetrable.
I admire your enthusiasm, but it might pay you to read posts more carefully (including reading every word, not just some) and be sure you fully comprehend them, before responding to them.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 23 Sep 2010 2:29pm, edited 3 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Lets face it, if we were favourites we would say it suits us to be favourites. Both sides supporters are clutching at anything at the moment that we thinks helps us win the flag. None of which will really help.
Not necessarily.

Do you have to poo poo every post. You can be so pedantic and predictable!
It's been a couple of minutes and no response.

Maybe plugger had to go for a poo poo :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Lets face it, if we were favourites we would say it suits us to be favourites. Both sides supporters are clutching at anything at the moment that we thinks helps us win the flag. None of which will really help.
Not necessarily.

And you are boring. Who is poo pooing anything. A different point of wiew it called. Maybe you should actually rent brain for this week so you can work out what is going on.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Not necessarily.

And you are boring. Who is poo pooing anything. A different point of wiew it called. Maybe you should actually rent brain for this week so you can work out what is going on.
A predictable attack

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Not necessarily.

A predictable attack
I re read your post and I retract so bygones.

But you can still be pendantic sometimes.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

saint75 wrote:
saint75 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I don't think it will do us any harm at all. In fact it might even spur our guys on a tiny bit, being virtually ignored this week.
You have obviously not watched or listened to this team at all this year. They don't care about adulation or favouritism, they just want to win the ultimate prize.
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:They might want to go out and prove that they're also worthy of some attention.
Refer to above response. They couldn't give a fig about attention. They want the cup. Attention and adulation means nothing. Nobody remembers the hype or the flag favourites from Grand Final week. All they remember and all history shows is who wins the Cup. The rest is irrelevant. This team knows that.
Obviously, you say? Really, why, because you say so? Perhaps, unlike you, I just don't believe everything I'm told. Of course they're going to say that. Did you just come down in the last shower? What else are they going to say?
Not because I say, just the way it is. Actions not words....:wink:
The way it is, is it? I "have obviously not watched or listened to this team at all this year." That's the way it is? So now, along with knowing exactly what is going on in the heads of all 22 of those who will go out there on Saturday ("They couldn't give a fig about attention. They want the cup. Attention and adulation means nothing.") you also know exactly what I've watched and listened to throughout the year as well? Well, clearly not, because I've watched and heard plenty, but as I said, I don't just automatically believe all I hear. As I asked, what else are they going to say?
I say 'obviously' because of your post. May I should change that to 'watch closely' then as it seems to offend you so.
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I believe it's without doubt their main focus, which is again why I used the word "tiny", in my initial post, but I'm not naive enough to be making all these statements of fact, without having all these facts, or to think that the "Saints bubble" is 100% impenetrable.
I admire your enthusiasm, but it might pay you to read posts more carefully (including reading every word, not just some) and be sure you fully comprehend them, before responding to them.
I also admire your enthusiasm and defence of the team. Regardless of whether you used the word 'tiny' or not, you still seem to think that some part of them craves attention. Not all people are built that way. The playing down of this week has been as much in our hands as it has the media. We have gone 2 years with no SIGNIFICANT recognition so why would the team crave it now? They will get the plaudits they deserve, come 5.00-5.30pm on Saturday afternoon. Anything else prior to that is fairy floss.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Pies ..the Club and the supporters really embracing whole week..

huge crowd again at training
lapping it up

of the few high profile sporting people I know.....

lifts rather than impedes

but who really knows as I have said in some other posts in this thread...

OUR club did not go down this path.......

saint4life
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Pies ..the Club and the supporters really embracing whole week..

lapping it up

Chook we've had closed sessions all year.

Why would we change now?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

lapping it up

Why would we change now?
My opinion all part of the event....embrace it ..feed off it
Ross has chosen the other route

Just my opinion.....clubs rarely make GFS (especially us)

saint4life
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

lapping it up

Why would we change now?

I think we were fairly open in 97 & 09 and that didn’t do us much good.

I recall 97, which more so than last year we were expected to win, and the reported effect that all the publicity and media had on our young kids. This time it’s the Pies with the kids so happy to let them get caught up in all the razzmatazz

At the end of the day one advantage we have over the Pies is we played in the GF last year. We can afford to adopt a low key approach and simply focus on another, albeit very important, game of footy.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

09 similar to this year

1 open session Tuesday

This year on Monday with virtually no notice for people to organise.....

Hard to measure impact either way.

As I said the players/athlete thrive on it us supporters (majority) who go on about the negative impact

saint4life
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

chook23 wrote:09 similar to this year

1 open session Tuesday

This year on Monday with virtually no notice for people to organise.....

Hard to measure impact either way.
The problem is that the players can get caught up in the hype. I believe you really need to keep things as normal as possible. That is what St Kilda have tried to achieve this week as much as possible.

There is still a GF parade this week where you can catch the players and also we had the 1 open training session. More than ample for fans IMO. We don't need to be down at training fawning over the players everyday. Let them concentrate on the task at hand.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Cirra
Club Player

As I don't post very often I'll probably get shot down but

Chook23 - do you ever post anything positive?

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

lapping it up

Why would we change now?

Who knows...

Maybe the players do feed off it, and feel the weight of expectation a little?

I know everyone keeps saying Collingwood have only won 1 flag in 50 years, but seriously, that's trying to make it sound more dramatic than it is.

They last won in 1990, we last won in 1966.

Completely different scenario.

There are plenty of people in the Collingwood crowds that have seen a flag in their lifetime.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Cirra wrote:As I don't post very often I'll probably get shot down but

Chook23 - do you ever post anything positive?
has got nothing to do with me positive/negative

infact I think the Club/Ross may have with their approach
only my opinion

Pies
seem to be sharing the momement embracing the whole week with the team and the supporters..together.....a positive vibe

Can not see where my post is negative.......I just think the pies approach
is more positive

thats all

saint4life
Cirra
Club Player

Fair enough. But I am basing my observation on more than just this gf week post.
Do you think we will win?

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Cirra wrote:Fair enough. But I am basing my observation on more than just this gf week post.
Do you think we will win?
Hoping like Hell

saint4life