Changes for the Elimination Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for the Elimination Final

Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 7:13am This is the thing we need to get our head around, we fell into the finals with 10 wins and 7 losses in a much shorter season. If this was full strength competition we would be 2 or 3 games short of securing a finals berth
Now I'm no Stephen Hawking, but 10 wins from 17 matches is around a 59% winning ratio when extrapolated to 22 matches that % gives us 13 wins, the number of wins that gets you 6th or 7th place every year.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
takeaway
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 8:33pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 7:13am This is the thing we need to get our head around, we fell into the finals with 10 wins and 7 losses in a much shorter season. If this was full strength competition we would be 2 or 3 games short of securing a finals berth
Now I'm no Stephen Hawking, but 10 wins from 17 matches is around a 59% winning ratio when extrapolated to 22 matches that % gives us 13 wins, the number of wins that gets you 6th or 7th place every year.
I think what Vortex is saying, is that whilst we had a great win vs GWS, we won only 2 of the last 5, and were slipping down the ladder. Extrapolate that record for another 5 matches and we finish on 12 wins, which is right on the edge, and in 2016 wasn't enough. Hopefully, the confidence gained from the GWS win will change that trend.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 8:32am
I think what Vortex is saying, is that whilst we had a great win vs GWS, we won only 2 of the last 5, and were slipping down the ladder. Extrapolate that record for another 5 matches and we finish on 12 wins, which is right on the edge, and in 2016 wasn't enough. Hopefully, the confidence gained from the GWS win will change that trend.

Cut him some slack, he did say he aint no Hawkins.

Hiyouall

Carlisle our. Jones in

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex is right. There’s enough evidence to suggest that we were fortunate to have won so many games. Had the umpires not assisted us in a handful of games at crucial moments and had the opposition not had such bad timing with injuries we may not have even won all those 10. In fact when you look at the way Freo and North beat us after we were over 6 goals up against them, I’m surprised it didn’t happen more often. We were lucky we didn’t win the wooden spoon

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 2:02pm
Vortex is right. There’s enough evidence to suggest that we were fortunate to have won so many games. Had the umpires not assisted us in a handful of games at crucial moments and had the opposition not had such bad timing with injuries we may not have even won all those 10. In fact when you look at the way Freo and North beat us after we were over 6 goals up against them, I’m surprised it didn’t happen more often. We were lucky we didn’t win the wooden spoon
Of course, those same factors apply to the team's below us too.
Looking at the last five games on form and opposition played, the Bulldogs are in good form. We test that next week. Collingwood and Melbourne are about a 50/50 chance with a poorer record across the year against quality opposition and it falls away steeply from there.
So either poor theory, bias or trolling are far more likely the motivation of the above statement, rather than insight or intellect. Go figure.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

:D
Last edited by skeptic on Fri 25 Sep 2020 3:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Really makes me sad that we sacked Richo...
His results are so much better than Ratten’s ever could be and we owe our best season in 8 years not to the current group of players and staff but to the developmental efforts of the 5 mediocre years before hand.

Was speaking to Jack Steele about this and he said that those years drilled into our players the lesson of what not to do so well that when he has a decision to make, he asks himself ‘would an idiot do this?’ And if the answer is yes... he does not do that thing.

Bless you Richo

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It seemed like we really clicked sometimes, and other times, it just looked hopeless, as if a switch had been flicked.

I’m sure the coaches were doing everything they could but, boy, it was a bumpy ride. But we landed on our feet, incredibly. And although the bullies are the form team compared to us, I think we are a good chance to win one or two finals!! Amazing to say it.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Well this thread has well and truly been taken over by Trolls.

outside66
Club Player

We've fallen into finals!?!?!!?

We have only been beaten properly TWICE this year. Every other game we have been in it up to our eyeballs and our percentage (and win/loss) reflects that... This year has been fantastic for our fast-tracked development and I for one cannot wait to see what we get up to under the roof next year. Before we get to 2021 though, we aren't making up the numbers and I'm sure the Bulldogs would be keenly aware of that fact. Up the Sainters!

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I had a look at the Bulldogs fan site. The fans are very nervous. Definitely see us as favourites. Our ruck combo and forwards particularly. (Couldn't help noticing how polite they all were to each other either, lol - God help any of them accidentally stumbling into this madhouse!)

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 5:36pm I had a look at the Bulldogs......God help any of them accidentally stumbling into this madhouse!)
Ha...the natural order of disorder .. Personally, I have Disorder Dysphoria Disorder , the old DDD!!

Yep, I haven’t been in forums until last year, and I was surprised at how polite and humble fans are over at the Footy Site.

Sure feels different from going to the footy as a young teen in the late 70s.

Bulldogs are nervous but they should be, as we should. Feels like they have more pressure in some sense because they were there last year and got beaten badly.but maybe that pressure may help them?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 2:48pm
Looking at the last five games on form and opposition played, the Bulldogs are in good form. We test that next week. Collingwood and Melbourne are about a 50/50 chance with a poorer record across the year against quality opposition and it falls away steeply from there.
So either poor theory, bias or trolling are far more likely the motivation of the above statement, rather than insight or intellect. Go figure.
Vortex was baiting/trolling/or being half serious so I was just making equally ridiculous comments.

I think our systems/coaching/talent/leadership and or best football is worthy of where we finished

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 5:45am
Vortex was baiting/trolling/or being half serious so I was just making equally ridiculous comments.

I think our systems/coaching/talent/leadership and or best football is worthy of where we finished
It's interesting you know Pollop, as you know I watch the footy with the sound UP, but due to the Astersisk Cup there hasn't been much noise anyway so my footy knowledge has been diluted and as such I've been able to understand some of your half serious comments at times. I must admit though, I struggle to tell the difference between your half and full serious work.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 8:36am so my footy knowledge has been diluted a
Certainly hoping for your sake it wasn't post the below gems as it would be pretty difficult to go below SFA :wink:
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 12:18pm Not sure why King would be in the team for round 1, he's going to need a few games at Sandy first and earn his way to the AFL grade, he probably has to prove he's physically up to it as well.
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 17 Jan 2020 1:22pm The odds are very high that not all 5 of our traded recruits will become best 22 players.
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 17 Jan 2020 1:22pm Butler is behind Lonie, Kent, Parker and others
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 2:03pm
No Howard misses out as we will be too tall otherwise. Remember I have Jake, Josh and Wilkie in. Another tall makes us too tall and those three have earnt their spot for R1.

I have Ryder and Marshall rotating in the FWD line. Kent doesn't get a game for R1. He's got a battle on his hands to get in the side.

Fagan has the same problem at the lions, got new recruits but they can't all fit in the side. Howard will get his opportunity.
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 12 Mar 2020 8:40am So my logic is Carslise, Battle and Wilkie are in front of him, yes Dougal played better in the 2nd game but someone has to miss out.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop, it's quite obvious that Vortex most recently masqueraded as Secret Kiel, I notice in a recent post that he/she made a disparaging reference again to the Asterisk Cup, a dead give away, why anyone would bother engaging in discussions on any topic with Vortex beats me...

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
takeaway
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 3:24pm

Scollop, it's quite obvious that Vortex most recently masqueraded as Secret Kiel, I notice in a recent post that he/she made a disparaging reference again to the Asterisk Cup, a dead give away, why anyone would bother engaging in discussions on any topic with Vortex beats me...
So it's not the Asterisk Cup? I thought that was the official name. What are they going to call it now? Covid Cup, Hub Cup? The AFL will need to make a decision soon. I think over time "Asterisk Cup" will be the name that sticks.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Of course, this thread may have expired. It’s useful half-life cup hath run over.

I wonder whether the change to Adelaide and back to the Gabba may have an influence on selection but that maybe stretching it.

I lay these Three ground breaking, earth shattering contentions...

1) Surely Lonie’s knee will come up.
2) they won’t make any radical changes
3) the second quarter, in keeping with this season, maybe goalless, and in this period, whoever sets up right will win.

So utterly drained of input I am afraid. I hate this break and think it should never have been introduced.

Talk about a way to evaporate interest.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Of course, this thread may have expired. It’s useful half-life cup hath run over.

I wonder whether the change to Adelaide and back to the Gabba may have an influence on selection but that maybe stretching it.

I lay these Three ground breaking, earth shattering contentions...

1) Surely Lonie’s knee will come up.
2) they won’t make any radical changes
3) the second quarter, in keeping with this season, maybe goalless, and in this period, whoever sets up right will win.

So utterly drained of input I am afraid. I hate this break and think it should never have been introduced.

Talk about a way to evaporate interest.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, yeah. heard you the first time. No need to repeat yourself.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 3:35pm

So it's not the Asterisk Cup? I thought that was the official name. What are they going to call it now? Covid Cup, Hub Cup? The AFL will need to make a decision soon. I think over time "Asterisk Cup" will be the name that sticks.
Our cup.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I think we can safely pull the plug on Vortex's theories and watch them swirl down the pug hole.

Saint supporter since '62
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 1:39pm
Certainly hoping for your sake it wasn't post the below gems as it would be pretty difficult to go below SFA :wink:
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 12:18pm Not sure why King would be in the team for round 1, he's going to need a few games at Sandy first and earn his way to the AFL grade, he probably has to prove he's physically up to it as well.
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 17 Jan 2020 1:22pm The odds are very high that not all 5 of our traded recruits will become best 22 players.
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 17 Jan 2020 1:22pm Butler is behind Lonie, Kent, Parker and others
No Howard misses out as we will be too tall otherwise. Remember I have Jake, Josh and Wilkie in. Another tall makes us too tall and those three have earnt their spot for R1.

I have Ryder and Marshall rotating in the FWD line. Kent doesn't get a game for R1. He's got a battle on his hands to get in the side.

Fagan has the same problem at the lions, got new recruits but they can't all fit in the side. Howard will get his opportunity.
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 12 Mar 2020 8:40am So my logic is Carslise, Battle and Wilkie are in front of him, yes Dougal played better in the 2nd game but someone has to miss out.
I thought dredging up old posts to start flame wars by trolling and baiting was against the rules. Maybe not. Maybe I might go back and dredge up some of your posts regarding racism and your outdated views on the indigenous. It's becuase of your views on racism that I have you on foe. I suggest you put me on foe too.
Last edited by Vortex on Sun 27 Sep 2020 9:08am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 1:39pm

I think you've got the Vortex into a spin. Hopefully he doesn't spin too hard and his head doesn't fly off