Brad Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brad Hill

CURLY wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 1:26pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 1:20pm
saintkid wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 11:28pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 8:15pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 10:50am Again, the Billings hate is quite confusing. Claims he pulled out of two contests on Friday night is rubbish. Billings takes his turn. To s*** can him yet claim we can get Taranto if we trade him, makes no sense. He's either good or he's not, he has value or he doesn't. Make up your minds.

I read somewhere that he can be covered??? If he was that easy to cover why are Lonie, Kent, Marsh, Sinclair getting games. He's had a better year than Hannebery, Hill and Ross.

Billings is vital for our next Premiership tilt. Has Norm Smith written all over him, maybe, maybe not but I can see him being a Premiership player. If Hill can have 3, JB certainly deserves one.
Billings is one of the only blokes in the team who actually knows how to stick a tackle.
With all due respect, I cannot believe this comment. There are many times when Billings has been unable to hold a tackle. His physical limitations are still quite obvious. After seven seasons, he should be performing much better and a lot more consistent.

Billings has had a disappointing year and anyone assessing him objectively would draw on this. His performance tonight in the Trevor Barker Award speaks for itself. Another underwhelming year, at an age and stage of his career where he should shine.

Please let's be impartial here and move away from the 'favorites bandwagon' for a moment.
In his first few years he looked like a high school kid against men and always seem to have that look a bunny gets with the high beam on. He still does.

At his age and draft postion he should be in the top 10 of every TB list. Time to get ruthless and use what currency he has to trade up to a finals capable player.

No disrespect. It is what it is.
In a heartbeat but he aint going anywhere.

Laurie
Club Player

Seriously Billings is soft as a marshmallow.
I honestly believe we should shop him around and see whats on offer did pull out of contests on Friday evening and thats not the first time he has done that .
Does not hurt the opposition and so overrated by some on here.

johnearljames
Club Player

You can't have 22 players that play like Jack Steele or Dougal Howard nor do you what them all to be like that.

Every footy club needs those highly skilled players like Billings and Hill.

Get real people.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
takeaway
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 10:50am Again, the Billings hate is quite confusing. Claims he pulled out of two contests on Friday night is rubbish. Billings takes his turn. To s*** can him yet claim we can get Taranto if we trade him, makes no sense. He's either good or he's not, he has value or he doesn't. Make up your minds.

I read somewhere that he can be covered??? If he was that easy to cover why are Lonie, Kent, Marsh, Sinclair getting games. He's had a better year than Hannebery, Hill and Ross.

Billings is vital for our next Premiership tilt. Has Norm Smith written all over him, maybe, maybe not but I can see him being a Premiership player. If Hill can have 3, JB certainly deserves one.
Billings is one of the only blokes in the team who actually knows how to stick a tackle.
With all due respect, I cannot believe this comment. There are many times when Billings has been unable to hold a tackle. His physical limitations are still quite obvious. After seven seasons, he should be performing much better and a lot more consistent.

Billings has had a disappointing year and anyone assessing him objectively would draw on this. His performance tonight in the Trevor Barker Award speaks for itself. Another underwhelming year, at an age and stage of his career where he should shine.

Please let's be impartial here and move away from the 'favorites bandwagon' for a moment.
In his first few years he looked like a high school kid against men and always seem to have that look a bunny gets with the high beam on. He still does.

At his age and draft postion he should be in the top 10 of every TB list. Time to get ruthless and use what currency he has to trade up to a finals capable player.

If you want to trade Billings you will need to reverse Ratt's thinking for a start. He has already stated his plans for Billings for next year - one of the reasons for getting in a mid or 2 is to allow players who can hit the scoreboard to spend a lot more time in the forward line - Billings was specifically mentioned. Post match presser after Tigers loss.

As for being in the top 10 of every TB list, apart from his early years, he HAS been in the top 10, last 3 years at least. This year an exception, but whilst he was left prominently on the wing for the first half of the season, he would have been at least top 3 in the TB award. Due to injuries to mids, Hannerbury, then Ross, and especially Gresh, Ratts had to change the structure and as a result for the rest of the season Billings, being one of the few capable of playing anywhere except key positions, was shunted all over the place, forward, back, occasionally wing and sometimes on the ball, quite often during a game. Understandably, his output, but not his efficiency, diminished, but still did OK imo. Well up in the stats and second only to Steele in some areas.

You don't let elite ball users go, much harder to find than grunt players. Thankfully the club know that. His contract expires in 2021, and I wouldn't be surprised if the club was in discussions to extend his contract now, perhaps even entice him to stay by offering the vice captaincy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 2:41pm Seriously Billings is soft as a marshmallow.
I honestly believe we should shop him around and see whats on offer did pull out of contests on Friday evening and thats not the first time he has done that .
Does not hurt the opposition and so overrated by some on here.
I keep hearing this, I've watched the game twice, when were they?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 3:06pm

If you want to trade Billings you will need to reverse Ratt's thinking for a start. He has already stated his plans for Billings for next year - one of the reasons for getting in a mid or 2 is to allow players who can hit the scoreboard to spend a lot more time in the forward line - Billings was specifically mentioned. Post match presser after Tigers loss.

As for being in the top 10 of every TB list, apart from his early years, he HAS been in the top 10, last 3 years at least. This year an exception, but whilst he was left prominently on the wing for the first half of the season, he would have been at least top 3 in the TB award. Due to injuries to mids, Hannerbury, then Ross, and especially Gresh, Ratts had to change the structure and as a result for the rest of the season Billings, being one of the few capable of playing anywhere except key positions, was shunted all over the place, forward, back, occasionally wing and sometimes on the ball, quite often during a game. Understandably, his output, but not his efficiency, diminished, but still did OK imo. Well up in the stats and second only to Steele in some areas.

You don't let elite ball users go, much harder to find than grunt players. Thankfully the club know that. His contract expires in 2021, and I wouldn't be surprised if the club was in discussions to extend his contract now, perhaps even entice him to stay by offering the vice captaincy.
Gee we are in trouble if he is given an onfield leadership role, he's anything but.

Having said that I can see why Ratts wants to turn him into a role player.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 4:49pm
takeaway wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 3:06pm

Gee we are in trouble if he is given an onfield leadership role, he's anything but.

Having said that I can see why Ratts wants to turn him into a role player.
:roll:

Peanut Farm
Club Player

Hill got absolutely torched by Cornes on Footy Classified tonight - 100% spot on.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Billings may be no Dean Kent but I reckon he could be a good FP

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Longer quarters next year will allow him to shine through. (I hope)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 11:39pm I’m a huge fan of Hill (my ex is a Dawks supporter and I’ve watched a lot of him) but, tonight he had a poor game. But he was terrific the two weeks prior.

Of all our new players - he’s the one who’s had the hardest time being used properly in our game plan. He’s a bona fide proper wingman who excels at the end of quarters and matches - he’s still running at the same pace and intensity in the last min as first.

He’s the one with another pre-season of training our game plan that will make us seriously good. Especially at Marvel.
At Marvel ?
First we have to be released from our 5km prisons.
Then players need to be allowed to train as a team, not just players living in the same household training together for 1 hour a day.
We could be playing in Queensland again next year.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 11:17pm Billings may be no Dean Kent but I reckon he could be a good FP
FP players are where you hide the lower contributors so I would say for the 800k we pay Billings I'd be looking to play him on a other team. Use his trade value while we can.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 11:17pm Billings may be no Dean Kent but I reckon he could be a good FP
:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Peanut Farm wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 10:48pm Hill got absolutely torched by Cornes on Footy Classified tonight - 100% spot on.
Yep, it's pretty clear to everyone the guy does himself no favours by blatantly shirking contests.

I also liked how Llyody put it on him that he can't just hide behind the excuse "they don't give me the ball", he's got to win his own ball at times too.

takeaway
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 8:35am
FP players are where you hide the lower contributors so I would say for the 800k we pay Billings I'd be looking to play him on a other team. Use his trade value while we can.
Yep, the lower contributors like Charlie Cameron, Toby Greene, etc. I see for effect you've applied the SS incremental formula to Billings salary, which is not 800k.

I think it's time for your next campaign subject.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 9:11am
Yep, the lower contributors like Charlie Cameron, Toby Greene, etc. I see for effect you've applied the SS incremental formula to Billings salary, which is not 800k.

I rate you as an astute and objective observer. Well picked up. (Insert emoji)

Billings is a keeper. It's that soft Brad Hill we should kick out. He's on 900k.

Ps...both are keepers.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Be fair... the 3 touches Kent gets in his ‘up the ground role’ + his 2 goals in nearly 3 months are far more valuable than what a player like Billings could ever hope to contribute. You just don’t understand modern football, or the modern forward pocket, or the role of specialists role players.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 12:49pm

Be fair... the 3 touches Kent gets in his ‘up the ground role’ + his 2 goals in nearly 3 months are far more valuable than what a player like Billings could ever hope to contribute. You just don’t understand modern football, or the modern forward pocket, or the role of specialists role players.
Oh boy, don't tell me we are going to have to listen to you troll this site with your pet expert subject matter all summer. We get it already.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:09pm

Oh boy, don't tell me we are going to have to listen to you troll this site with your pet expert subject matter all summer. We get it already.
Oh the irony

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 7:07pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:09pm

Oh the irony

Self reflection can be hard