Any news on Paddy Mac?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Peanut Farm
Club Player

Re: Any news on Paddy Mac?

Just read Danny Frawlwy article about the Coroners findings. Didnt realise his wife asked him to move out of the home when he was severely depressed - few days later he rammed his car into the tree. What a sad story.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Peanut Farm wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021 2:40pm Just read Danny Frawlwy article about the Coroners findings. Didnt realise his wife asked him to move out of the home when he was severely depressed - few days later he rammed his car into the tree. What a sad story.
Very sad indeed. Based on his reactions to being asked to leave, its challenging to imagine what living with him was like on the darkest days, ignoring mounting debts, pursuing bad investments and refusing medical advice.
A strong support system is essential to recovery but not as essential as acknowledging that you have a problem, understanding the changes you to need to make to reduce stress on yourself and those close to you and seeking and accepting the appropriate help.
Poor Danny. Vulnerability obviously wasn't a strong point for him.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Interesting for a guy who was so aware of mental health struggles (he even had his own radio segment on mental health)

He failed to get enough support for his own ailing mental health.

He was well aware of his issues with mental health.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Very sad about Spud. A classic example of not reaching out for help. The "Happy Clown" who deflected his problems by always making others feel better about themselves.

As a mental health care professional, I could see through the facade. I always hoped someone was helping him.

Please, ladies and gentlemen, if you're struggling, reach out. The "Gaudion Knot" of depression makes it difficult to assess how you are doing. That is it's strength. It lulls you into a false sense of security.

It's why so many highly intelligent and capable people suffer the most. In being self-sufficient and capable, they mistakenly believe they can deal with it without assistance. It is a self perpetuating cycle of destruction.

I've been there, myself. Without the help of caring friends and colleagues, I wouldn't be here. Reach out.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021 3:35am
sendmehomehappy wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021 12:12am
However, given the reluctance of Victoria WorkSafe to prosecute its government for that Covid debacle leading to 800+ deaths, they just might turn a blind eye to this scenario as well.
So.............

WorkSafe Victoria have jurisdiction over footy players playing in New South Wales do they?

Can you explain to us plebs how the regulations were breached in Aged Care and how WorkSafe "turned a blind eye"

Here's the link in regard to the legislation, just so that you can refer us to the exact clauses

https://content.api.worksafe.vic.gov.au ... -06-02.pdf

https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/occupat ... egulations

...Or will we presume if you don't point to the relevant section that you are just another Labor basher

Hits another nerve hey scollop.
I should have bet my house on it that you would have been sucked in by my post. Then again, bookmakers don't bet on certainties.

1. Presumably Worksafe Vic has jurisdiction over the AFL as it is headquartered in Jolimont.
Paddy is said to be on the list for the VFL Sydney side or the new East Coast comp. I am not sure where the VFL is housed, but the name gives a clue it might be somewhere in Victoria. AFL and VFL give final authority for player registration in their respective competitions, so would likely be ultimately responsible under Workcover law for players' welfare.

2. I am not a lawyer or an expert in Workcover regulations however, I have some commonsense and, unlike you, an ability to think freely outside of blinkered ideology.

800+ helpless vulnerable Victorians died prematurely through Covid-related infection caused by a breakdown in hotel quarantine in Victoria. This hotel quarantine was a hastily assembled shambles. Security staff were under or un-trained to do their important work. Adequate training to ensure safety is an integral part of any Worksafe legislation. A safe workplace was not provided.

Dan's pathetic inquiry, held at great taxpayer expense, showed they all knew nothing and that the Victorian Labor politicians and their public service lackeys are each lying and obfuscating to save their skins.
Justice must be done in Victoria and moves are afoot to ensure that it will be done.
This will happen despite the likes of you wishing the truth would disappear.

You Scollop, are one of Dictator Dan's greatest servants, wherever you live; but he still could not care what you and other similar useful idiots think.

By the way, I like many ideas of the Labor party, as a genuine supporter of workers, jobs, and reasonable social equity. What I dislike intensely are Marxist State/Nation destroyers like Andrews. People like him do not represent the real Labor party.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Incredibly sad story re Spud.

I wonder when depression gets so intense and with significant CTE added that the sufferer loses clear insight and judgment to see the extent of his problem clearly. He therefore cannot ask for help so the problems spiral worse. Then the two common themes in depression of anger turned inwards with self-defeating acts eventually lead to the ultimate tragedy.

Unfortunately, like so many other severe cases, Spud did not draw attention to his turmoil and suicidality, and so he could not, under our mental health laws be treated involuntarily.

There is no easy answer to this balance between individual liberty and the right to be treated for severe mental disease in the way you would wish your neighbour to be treated if he had the same.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021 5:10pm

1. Presumably Worksafe Vic has jurisdiction over the AFL as it is headquartered in Jolimont.
Paddy is said to be on the list for the VFL Sydney side or the new East Coast comp. I am not sure where the VFL is housed, but the name gives a clue it might be somewhere in Victoria. AFL and VFL give final authority for player registration in their respective competitions, so would likely be ultimately responsible under Workcover law for players' welfare.

2. I am not a lawyer or an expert in Workcover regulations however, I have some commonsense and, unlike you, an ability to think freely outside of blinkered ideology.

1. You haven’t highlighted the relevant sections of the act that you claimed were breached.

2. You admit that you are not a lawyer or an expert however you continue to discuss specific areas of the legislation.

The problem with you people is that you can’t lie straight in bed...or any where else for that matter

Don’t make accusations if you cant’t back them up. It’s easy to see through your lies and typical tory rhetoric. Also...get off the grass with your bs about being a supporter of social equity and workers ....in other words - don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining. If there is a minute, remote possibility that you believe in some of that bs about social equity, then I’m sorry that you have been brainwashed by reading too much of the Hun. Ironic for someone who calls themselves a ‘free thinker’
However, given the reluctance of Victoria WorkSafe to prosecute its government for that Covid debacle leading to 800+ deaths, they just might turn a blind eye to this scenario as well.
It’s hilarious how people come on here and promote tory propaganda and then try and convince everyone it’s common sense

Why bother if you cannot point to the relevant sections of the act which you claimed were breached. There is no substance with all the paragraphs of writing. Only slogans and Labor bashing. Your agenda is transparent.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021 6:46pm

1. You haven’t highlighted the relevant sections of the act that you claimed were breached.

I am not going to play your game. I have better things to do than wade my way through hundreds of pages of legalise contained in The Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 and the WorkSafe Victoria Amendments Act 2017 or any other applicable act to score points against you. Those who have the expertise will do this for real.

2. You admit that you are not a lawyer or an expert however you continue to discuss specific areas of the legislation.
I have never discussed specific areas of legislation.

The problem with you people is that you can’t lie straight in bed...or any where else for that matter

Don’t make accusations if you cant’t back them up. It’s easy to see through your lies and typical tory rhetoric. Also...get off the grass with your bs about being a supporter of social equity and workers ....in other words - don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining. If there is a minute, remote possibility that you believe in some of that bs about social equity, then I’m sorry that you have been brainwashed by reading too much of the Hun. Ironic for someone who calls themselves a ‘free thinker’

Hahaha.... the best laugh I have had today. First time I have been called Tory in my life. I see. Anyone with a divergent view from you is a Tory. Yeah right. Coming from you, I will take it as a compliment. Pal, I wouldn't cross the road to piss on you even if you were on fire.
It’s hilarious how people come on here and promote tory propaganda and then try and convince everyone it’s common sense

Well, it is plain common sense to get to the root of Andrew's quarantine debacle. Those inepts keep repeating their mistakes, costing taxpayers a fortune, and causing untold social harm.

Why bother if you cannot point to the relevant sections of the act which you claimed were breached. There is no substance with all the paragraphs of writing. Only slogans and Labor bashing. Your agenda is transparent.
Get real Scollop, this is a footy forum, not a f5%7ing courtroom.

I reckon the other readers will be getting as bored with this as I am.

No more from me on this issue other than:

Scollop, you really are a silly little Marxist apologist.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Is Paddy going to make it to 50 games?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021 10:23pm

If it’s a footy forum then I suggest you Stick To Footy and you can post any opinion you like...you won’t hear from me

I have a solution for your boredom. Stop posting tory lies (you are the one who started going off topic ...with your rhetoric)

You won’t need to defend yourself or answer to posts from me and we won’t have to bore everyone.

But, you know what? I have no doubt...there will be more...tory propaganda from you and other real tories. And also...

I should say thanks for confirming that you have been brainwashed by the Hun and Neil Mitchell

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am not going to play your game. I have better things to do than wade my way through hundreds of pages of legalise contained in The Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 and the WorkSafe Victoria Amendments Act 2017 or any other applicable act to score points against you. Those who have the expertise will do this for real.

Hahaha.... the best laugh I have had today. First time I have been called Tory in my life. I see. Anyone with a divergent view from you is a Tory. Yeah right. Coming from you, I will take it as a compliment. Pal, I wouldn't cross the road to piss on you even if you were on fire.

Well, it is plain common sense to get to the root of Andrew's quarantine debacle. Those inepts keep repeating their mistakes, costing taxpayers a fortune, and causing untold social harm.

Really love that last line. :wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Dan's pathetic inquiry, held at great taxpayer expense, showed they all knew nothing and that the Victorian Labor politicians and their public service lackeys are each lying and obfuscating to save their skins.
Justice must be done in Victoria and moves are afoot to ensure that it will be done.
What were the results of the inquiries into all the other states quarantine systems?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 12:43pm
What were the results of the inquiries into all the other states quarantine systems?
Not sure the other states had over 800 deaths as a result.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The Billings Method
Club Player

The other states didn't have 800 deaths on their watch. The circumstances that led to the hotel quarantine "bungle" as it is generously referred to, is what is disturbing.

I'm not here to argue the ins and outs of it, IBAC is currently investigating and hopefully, it will do a bit better than the Coate inquiry.

I don't know if any of you have had dealings with getting contracts and getting paid by the government, but my experience has always been been it is tighter than a fish's anus and makes you jump through more hoops than a tiger at the circus.

For a contract to be awarded to a company, not in the preferred provider category is unusual, to say the least. Then, we are expected to believe no one knows who the final call was made by.

No government official ever failed to nail me about queries on invoices, especially when they believed I'd overcharged. In this case, we're talking about a multi-million dollar contract. It is in Maxwell Smart territory. "Would you believe............?"

I don't have political skin in this game. I've worked with politicians and public servants on both sides. Generally speaking, they are all cut from the same cloth. The one commandment they all live by is the 11th. Thou shalt not get caught.

In the end, let's not squabble along the lines of political partisanship. The point is, 800 lives were lost because of someone's incompetence, or worse, corruption. Think about it. That's three years of the road toll, gone in a few months. I don't want a witch hunt. I just don't want it to happen again.
Last edited by The Billings Method on Wed 24 Feb 2021 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Ok, so the end result is what's important, not the process or the fact that other States could have had just as bad / even worse failings (every State has had quarantine bungles/breaches), and Victoria was just in the unlucky position of being the 'second wave guinea pig' which all other states learnt from?

Nothing to do with 'politics' at all?

Just look at the reaction to the last 5 day lockdown, it's blatantly obvious some people are playing the man and not the situation.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 1:34pm The other states didn't have 800 deaths on their watch. The circumstances that led to the hotel quarantine "bungle" as it is generously referred to, is what is disturbing.

I'm not here to argue the ins and .....

I don't know if any of you have had dealings with getting contracts and getting paid by the government, but my experience has always been been it is tighter than a fish's anus and makes you jump through more hoops than a lion at the circus.

For a contract to be awarded to a company, not in the preferred provider category is unusual, to say the least. Then, we are expected to believe no one knows who the final call was made by.

No government official ever failed to nail me about queries on invoices, especially when they believed I'd overcharged. In this case, we're talking about a multi-million dollar contract. It is in Maxwell Smart territory. "Would you believe............?"

I think Australia has done incredibly well re COVID. Plp overseas think we are a miracle. I am sure some of it is just luck. As places like Singapore, Thailand and the like have incredibly low numbers. Thailand is so corrupt I cannot find a metaphor for it and I am the king of metaphoric mountains of bullish¥t.

Re..contracts, yes, maybe a lot of hoops, but boy what a waste...

Everytime I go home and I see all the staff hired to shuffle people into buses at suburban railway stations every weekend while the train services have been suspended due to works (that they stop services for work is alone incredulous - it could all be done at night as in other countries , but no doubt some legal, special rates, special deals...etc.. etc...) means that the system shuts down half the lines every weekend..

...anyway, I see these people standing around chatting while they wait for the next train to come, bus to come, and think of what a waste it is. I see, the assistants that are paid to come over to my elderly parents’ place to fix buts and bobs, - they are supposed to be two of them, but they are a husband and wife deal, scamming the system doing tw jobs at once, and calling each other in a squeeze....

Victoria is massively corrupt and it is especially corrupt when it comes to tendering out new services managed and vetted by state government.

I am Labor oriented and the only reason the libs might be better is because they just cut the services all together. (Not a solution) they are also corrupt helping their mates build freeways, roads,bridges, casinos, massive residential development schemes for real estate developer mates, etc..Fisherman’s Bend etc. and car parks...

So whilst the their maybe many hoops, boy oh boy, they are just superficial and the actual work they perform, the quality of it etc. and the rationale for it is pretty sketchy. IMO.

It got particularly bad in the 1990s during the massive deregulation thing.

Footy is a classic old world ...footy looks so innocent in comparison.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 1:55pm Ok, so the end result is what's important, not the process or the fact that other States could have had just as bad / even worse failings (every State has had quarantine bungles/breaches), and Victoria was just in the unlucky position of being the 'second wave guinea pig' which all other states learnt from?

Just look at the reaction to the last 5 day lockdown, it's blatantly obvious some people are playing the man and not the situation.
Who'd have guessed your one of those people. :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 10:53am

Really love that last line. :wink:
You love classic tory bs because that’s all you lot have. No substance. Just name calling

Just like all the slogans and hashtags that were created by Liberal lackies to try and discredit Daniel Andrews

And of course no surprise that saynta and the stiff upper lip crowd join in on the rhetoric

Good luck at the next State election
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 24 Feb 2021 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 2:21pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 1:55pm Ok, so the end result is what's important, not the process or the fact that other States could have had just as bad / even worse failings (every State has had quarantine bungles/breaches), and Victoria was just in the unlucky position of being the 'second wave guinea pig' which all other states learnt from?

It's weird you don't support Dan, considering he's white, straight and male.

Must be a first! :D

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 2:52pm

It's weird you don't support Dan, considering he's white, straight and male.

Must be a first! :D

Oh your one of those people as well now I get it.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yep, but it doesn't matter.

People justify playing the man for the sake of mankind.

When Lovett-Murray decided to sue Essendon for the 2012 supplement scandal because of damage to his daughter the ,

1) Lovett-Murray announces intention to sue because it has damaged his daughter's health. 1 million bucks worth of damage.
2) Instant Backlash
3) Media seek out law expert for comment, subsequent presser full of emotional rhetoric (terribly unfair, outrageous claims, victim + statement about LM's claim about this being good for the whole code and society as a whole.
4) that sets up a bridge between the moral high ground and LM being a victim, and finally points to Essendon's admission of guilt as being a potential gateway to further claims potentially generations into the future
5) mid-2017 it has dropped from the spotlight , but it is reported that Essendon 'have settled claims' ...

So it seems perfectly fair to sacrifice the credibility of an 'entity' for the good of the whole society.

I do not know know what finally happened, the the way the dynamic unfolded is awful and reminds me of a schoolyard scenario...and some very unpleasant memories.

So it seems that whatever Paddy is, and whatever St Kilda or Sydney is, whatever the AFL is, there is a mythical 'universal moral code' that needs propping up, and be that on the dust and blood of broken legacies, too bad.
Like the US Marines crushing coral reefs and compacting them into runways on Pacific Islands so that their bombers could drop napalm on the enemy...the show must go on.

Awful stuff.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Back to Paddy, It’s pbly about as realistic an outcome as he could have hoped for.

He’s been out of the game and virtually hasn’t played for 2 years
Reportedly all of his issues have resolved
He now gets an opportunity at a lower level comp of reasonable standard to prove that he can still play and maintain good health

The potential outcomes are
He plays very well and stays fit and is redrafted
He stays fit but ultimately doesn’t impress
He continues to have injury issues and they cut him loose

Ain’t going to be any ambiguity IMO

Good luck to him

The Billings Method
Club Player

If he's fit, he'll dominate at that level. All he has to do is avoid the dreaded head knock. His next concussion, if it happens, will be his last. After that, I doubt anyone will take a risk with him. Good luck, Paddy.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 6:27am

If it’s a footy forum then I suggest you Stick To Footy and you can post any opinion you like...you won’t hear from me

I have a solution for your boredom. Stop posting tory lies (you are the one who started going off topic ...with your rhetoric)

You won’t need to defend yourself or answer to posts from me and we won’t have to bore everyone.

But, you know what? I have no doubt...there will be more...tory propaganda from you and other real tories. And also...

I should say thanks for confirming that you have been brainwashed by the Hun and Neil Mitchell

Hahahahha, PML.

Keep 'em coming Scollop. Thick and fast.

A laugh a day keeps the doctor away.

No way am I ever going to block the Scollopinator.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Yes, all the best Paddy.

Nikki Lauda made that incredible comeback. A different sport, but perhaps even a riskier situation.