Where are all the Lyon supporters now ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
I dont think Ross Lyon has the capacity to teach.
I think that's quite obvious now.

Not only have our talent ridden core stopped improving, they've gone backwards.

Saints43
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Saints43 wrote:I harked back to 2004 because you asked how many elite players he had produced since then. I used Calton as a guide as to where we are now as opposed to then

I'm not lloking to the past. I'm asking a simple f'n question of somone who supported the appointment of Ross Lyon and tells others publicly to get behinf Ross Lyon:

Why do you think he is a good coach?

Stop avoiding the question. If you don't know - if it's the vibe - just say so.

Why do you think he is a good coach?
Ive told you you simplistic knob - judge Lyon at seasons end.

Your telling us all based one being 4/5 and after a shocking 07 full of injury you KNOW hes a dud coach - f@Rk off mate

If Lyon isnt the man for the job Ive no problems with that - but (as Andrew Thompson pointed out) he DESERVES his chance and he hasnt had a run at it yet or at least not one long enough to make stupid judgements.

Many said Allistair Clarkson couldnt coach either early in his tenure.......they aint saying it now...

Now why dont you answer my fkn question re the playing group who you have CONSTANTLY avoided and let off the hook?

Is it game plan that Dal santo/Montagna lay 1 tackle between them?

Lets have it "yabby"... :roll:
It's the vibe then.

Look forward to hearing from you at seasons end as you clearly have nothing to add until the team have played 22 matches.

Your support for whatever and abuse can now just be assumed in each post where Ross Lyons name is mentioned.

As for players that I have let off the hook?

Most of our players have performed a high level over considerable time at AFL level.

Now they are standing around potting each other on the field.

They don't know what they're supposed to be doing.

NoMore
Club Player

Lots of people continue to defend Ross in here and say why don't we blame the player group.

Well think of this. Before Ross got here Dal actually layed a fair amount of tackles and actually led our tackle count at one point in 2006.

Gram was close to being all australian.

Reiwolt was the CHF in the game

L Fisher was much more servicable than he is now.

Baker could actually play

And when we talk about recruiting I'll admit the mini was a terrible recruit and so was mcgough.

But we got S Fisher at about Pick 56. We also got Gilbert as a low pick

You don't get guns out of every draft and we had crap picks because we played finals.

As far as i can see Steven Milne is the only player to have improved out of the ordinary under Lyon.

You can't count youg players who were garunteed to improve anyway.

In fact nearly all the players have gone backwards or remained stationary

By the way don't compare him with Wallace or Clarkson because these 2 coaches took over clubs and teams in ruins.

Who here can say that they predicted this decline. No one. Most thought our list was good enough for top 4. Maybe even a flag. So besides bad coaching and a bad game plan. By the way i count players looking disinterested as bad coaching. What else has changed since the start of the year

So how anyone can say he is a good coach is beyond me.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:
By the way don't compare him with Wallace or Clarkson because these 2 coaches took over clubs and teams in ruins.
Good point.

"We need a coach to take us the next step." - Rod Butterss, 2006.

I actually agreed with him then. GT was not that person, in my view. But I think we erred at the time of appointment. Ross Lyon had to be talked into applying. He didn't pursue or even want the job. We had to seek him out.

I wanted Longmire at the time. I think we went for the wrong Swan, probably based on Robert Walls' input. A bloke who has been proven to not pot blokes he likes, but pot others connected with blokes he hates. He's biased, in other words.

My jury has been out during Lyon's tenure and is still deliberating long and hard. He's giving me nothing at the moment.

I agree with Teflon though. Look at Lyon at season's end.

If the team continues to perform like it has, the decision will make itself.

And St Kilda will have blown another huge opportunity in the 2000s to take a flag.

Thanks Rod. Good work. Flog.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
JeffDunne

Is anyone seriously calling for him to be sack now?

Lyon's true test is now.

If he passes that test by turning things around I will be the first calling for him to be given an extension and let him make some tough calls.

If he doesn't, I don't see we have any choice but to exit him out.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Is anyone seriously calling for him to be sack now?

Lyon's true test is now.

If he passes that test by turning things around I will be the first calling for him to be given an extension and let him make some tough calls.

Sack him now and we'll go backwards at a huge rate of knots. Will set us back years.

No one can seriously want him sacked. Review at season's end.

We'd also be a laughing stock.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
JeffDunne

TBH, we're already a laughing stock.

I hope public perception is the least of the board's concerns.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Lyon's true test is now.

Indeed.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints43
Club Player

Not one person as far as I have read.

The only one who keeps bringing up his sacking is the great supporter.

There are a heap of worries though.

Surely Ross Lyon knew plenty about the way our players performed prior to taking on the role. Surely.

The almost weekly 'the players are no good' sermon is wearing thin.

It looks like it might be wearing thin with the players as well if on-field discipline is anything to go by. Players are potting each other more and more as the season goes on.

The board need to sit down with Ross and make some decisions regarding expectations for this and the next few seasons and then let the rest of us know.

kaos theory
Club Player

Is anyone seriously calling for him to be sack now?

Lyon's true test is now.

I don't really dissagree with you Jeff.

In one sense, he had been handed a 'poison chalice', becuase he had a pretty good list (with a lot of hype around it), and expectations were set to be very high. Therefore, if he stumbled slightly he would be under enormous pressure immediately.... Whereas most coaches are given at least 2 to 3 years before they are under the pump, because of the unqiue coniditions, he is not afforded that luxury...

JeffDunne

Saints43 wrote:Surely Ross Lyon knew plenty about the way our players performed prior to taking on the role. Surely.
One thing that concerned me early on was when he said he'd never seen Kosi play in the ruck. He said at the time he considered him a CHB.

The best game Kosi ever played in the ruck was in a final against Sydney where Ross was in their box.

TBH, I reckon Ross viewed our list like most of the talking heads in the media - especially one in particular. We were only a decent ruckman short of a premiership chance. I really don't think he had grasp on where we were at.

I think it's no coincidence too that Clarke was pulled out of retirement because of that same talking head's input. The sole focus on improving the list was getting a 200cm ruckman.

Buckets
SS Life Member

I really dont know if it would be beneficial keeping him on until year's end if there is no improvement shown.
IMO i think that by the end of Rd 14 we should have a good idea of whether we are likely to see finals action this year! Hopefully it will have been enough time for us to evaluate the improvement that the team will hopefully make!
IMHO if there is no improvement and we have by Rd 14 somehow lost to both Freo and the Dees then there is no option bu to cut ties with Lyon and try to get a coach in who has sufficient time to look at the list and be willing to trade and draft picks that are needed.
The thing that plays on my mind about Lyon is the fact that he had to be coaxed into taking the job at St Kilda he was never really interested in taking the position and to be brutally honest that has showed. To be honest i really think that the board made the wrong choice and i have yet to be proven wrong.
You only need to speak to those who go to the games this year and they all admit that something is missing from the games from passion on the field to the passion showed by supporters off field! For the first time yesterday i listened to the game and it did not faze me that we capitulated and were so bloody hopeless. It was as if i have sub consciously begun to lose interest in the game. And not because of the rule changes or rule interpretations. I don't have that same belief in the team that i had only 2 years ago!
If Ross can turn this team around and there is evidence of improvement i will the next time i am in Melbourne for a game i will by a round of drinks for those who wish to have one!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:TBH, we're already a laughing stock.

I hope public perception is the least of the board's concerns.
It's not public perception I worry about. It's in AFL circles.

How could we seriously attract the right candidate when we sack blokes left right and centre?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

There's that name again....."Talking Head".

Richard is his first name, isn't it?

Robert Walls is seriously over rated. Seriously.

And we let him take control of our selection process.

Good work Rod. Flog.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Anyway, for whatever reason, our form is inexcusable and we should not be in this situation. I hope the faceless board of the club is having a good long think about this.

JeffDunne

So what do you do if you decide the bloke in the job isn't up to it?

I have no doubt the board will do everything in their power so they don't have to make that decision. Clearly it's the least desirable path and has huge risks associated with it.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Lyon's true test is now.

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! Now that's a turn-around from this post yesterday...
JeffDunne wrote:
degruch wrote:At least he's supporting something!
Why support Rod SoftAs though?

He's gone.
Now you've calmed down, I think we all agree the litnus test starts this week. I think the club and its supporters will be in a prime position to see if RL's got the goods by years end

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Why are the players getting a free pass, and all the heat is on Ross Lyon? Sure, the buck stops with him, and no doubt he'll pay the price if our crappy form continues, but seriously;

Saying that Dal used to tackle, but doesn't now. What, Ross has convinced him not to?

Roo misses a goal from 20 metres dead in front. What, Ross was hanging onto his foot so he'd miss?

The players collectively are not performing at an acceptable level. And they are the ones who need to turn it around, or they'll end up off the list.

Coaches look sensational when their players are in form, and like crap when they're not. But only the players can kick, mark, handball, tackle, and run.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

how much of the form slump is to do with confidence?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:how much of the form slump is to do with confidence?
A lot....and the coach has to wear the balme for that as motivating the players is clearly within his brief.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
JeffDunne

degruch wrote:

Lyon's true test is now.

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! Now that's a turn-around from this post yesterday...
JeffDunne wrote:
degruch wrote:At least he's supporting something!
Why support Rod SoftAs though?

He's gone.
Now you've calmed down, I think we all agree the litnus test starts this week. I think the club and its supporters will be in a prime position to see if RL's got the goods by years end
Huh?

I haven't changed my position one iota.

What you've quoted doesn't even come close to demonstrating what you're claiming.

I think he should be reviewed at years end and I believe that review will show us we need a change. I've seen enough of Ross to believe he's not a coaches A-hole.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Saints43
Club Player

How would a team maintain confidence when the leader of our club slags them off as soft?

In public.

Is that good man management strategy?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

How would a team maintain confidence when the leader of our club slags them off as soft?

In public.

Is that good man management strategy?[/quote]

If nothing else works...which it doesn't appear to be...absolutely. It should be a wake-up call. Besides, these guys are abusing eachother on the field, that's not a good sign, so someone needs to crack the whip.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Why wait till seasons end,if he is no good now ,how will that improve us.Dont talk to me about SOFT that comes from the people calling the shots ,dont remember being called soft before.If RL keeps us going down this path ,WHO would want to coach us next year I said 4 weeks ago that RL had to show his worth ,and he hasnt done so

bob__71
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:

In public.

Is that good man management strategy?
If you read the whole comments from Ross you would see why he called them soft....

Because it is reflecting on him and his coaching ability....Not cause he cares how the side goes not because he bleeds for the Jumper.

He is a classical StKilda leader..."do as I say not as I do"...There have been a few who have lived by there word as leaders at stkilda. But many more who have not