Goddard to Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Goddard to Essendon

plugger66 wrote:I cant beleive there are some who who think we should match the offer. Please tell me there are none who want to pay 3 million over 4 years to BJ. He is gone now because unless we do match it he must go. Good luck BJ. Dont blame you at all and blame the club even less. Money will always talk especially when you get so close in a GF but dont get over the line. Lets use this pick 13 wisely and even better still lets use the salary cap space even better.
Don't whether many wanted to match the Ess/Docker offer (if those $$ figures are even true, bet you the contract is front-ended) As already said on here, some thought that maybe $600 - $625 x 4 years would have sealed the deal. Which I reckon is fair and would have given in a heartbeat.....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Mon 01 Oct 2012 7:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
noob
Club Player

I miss him already. But it was the right thing to do in the interests of St.Kilda Football Club.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

True Believer wrote:
markp wrote:It's like telling your girlfriend to go see if she can pick up a better guy. How's that gonna end well?
Unless you know you can do better, but don't want to be seen as the bad guy........

Already heard whispers that we have already done a deal with a KP player (identity being kept a very close secret), and whispers of us being up to our ears in Caddy and Hickey. Ultimately, if the wash-up is that we end up with a quality KP defender, up and coming on-baller, and up and coming ruck/forward and we lose BJ and a draft pick or two, then I think the team is stronger for it.

Maybe I am just not as emotionally attached to BJ as some.
See this is what I don't understand, if they've done a deal with anyone, if it's a highly regarded player - is he going to take a hit to join the Saints? Will he be part of the 'team first' philosophy, and play for less than market value?
Yes I am part of the some who were quite attached to Goddard....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: Caddy strongly being linked to Carlton

By who? That Mark Allen bloke on SEN?

5 minutes before Hudson had him strongly linked to St.Kilda :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
loris
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Already heard whispers that we have already done a deal with a KP player (identity being kept a very close secret)

Ultimately, if the wash-up is that we end up with a quality KP defender................................................................................................

See this is what I don't understand, if they've done a deal with anyone, if it's a highly regarded player - is he going to take a hit to join the Saints? Will he be part of the 'team first' philosophy, and play for less than market value?

Surely it can't be that key defender FB.............................. ZAC DAWSON........... wanting to come back to the Saints...................... and will take a salary hit too :shock: :shock:

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

loris wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Already heard whispers that we have already done a deal with a KP player (identity being kept a very close secret)

Ultimately, if the wash-up is that we end up with a quality KP defender................................................................................................

Surely it can't be that key defender FB.............................. ZAC DAWSON........... wanting to come back to the Saints...................... and will take a salary hit too :shock: :shock:
Now that Would be a Classic :shock:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote: See this is what I don't understand, if they've done a deal with anyone, if it's a highly regarded player - is he going to take a hit to join the Saints? Will he be part of the 'team first' philosophy, and play for less than market value?

Are some of you people purposely being obtuse?

You do understand that the offer to Goddard from the Saints would have made him the highest paid player at the club?

You do realise that a KPP wont be getting an offer of $600k a year like Goddard.

You do realise that players get paid less than the highest salary at the club?

Why this concern trolling about what Pelchan and Watters clearly stated - they wont pay over the odds for a player who just isn't worth wrecking the SC for.

We can 9th this season. We were a ruckman and a Key backman short. Who knows how many of the close game we may have won with those two players.

How do we attract anyone to the club if we have spent 800k on a HBF receiver and have maxed out the SC?

Dont you want the team to evolve? Do you want the team to be a mediocre 9th? Do you want the club to held to ransom by a player who likes money more than the team ethos?

Fair enough if you do. For me, I want to see the team back in the finals. I want to see a second ruck and a key backman to bolster the glaring deficiencies in the team. I want to see the players rewarded for their service, but not over the odds.

So there you have it. You infer the Saints want all players to take sort type of "hit" for the team. Watters and Pelchan were palian in what they meant. the club has 36 players that need looking after not one.

i prefer to listen and have faith in the people who have the the best interests of all the players compared to a player looking for a big payday.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Gershwin
Club Player

Do we get a compensation pick this year or next year?

summertime and the living is easy ........
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We were a ruckman and a Key backman short. Who knows how many of the close game we may have won with those two players.
That forms part of my concern though JB...

Chris Pelchen clearly kept Peake/Polo at the start of the season, instead of securing Dawson.

Hawthorns defence isn't their strong suit either, undersized and still seen as a weakness.

I hope he breaks the trend by the end of this trade period.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:We were a ruckman and a Key backman short. Who knows how many of the close game we may have won with those two players.

Chris Pelchen clearly kept Peake/Polo at the start of the season, instead of securing Dawson.

Hawthorns defence isn't their strong suit either, undersized and still seen as a weakness.

Were Peake and Polo given new contracts? If not our SC was so precarious that we couldn't afford to delist two contracted players. Considering we had to delist and re draft Blake to get around SC issues, we would have been two players short on the list and still have to pay out the contracts.

Can you confirm that Peake and Polo got new one year contracts?

So if they were already contracted, how could he have secured Dawson?

Lance or James??

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

If he goes I'll never look at that 2010 grand final mark in the same way again.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Spud wrote:If he goes I'll never look at that 2010 grand final mark in the same way again.

It's not IF................................he's GAWN :P

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Are some of you people purposely being obtuse?......

Why this concern trolling.....

You infer the Saints want all players to take sort type of "hit" for the team......
Good grief. I see why I've dodged your posts for a long time. You really have no idea how to speak with people, disagree and debate in a civil manner.

You are the one purposely being a dullard

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Were Peake and Polo given new contracts? If not our SC was so precarious that we couldn't afford to delist two contracted players. Considering we had to delist and re draft Blake to get around SC issues, we would have been two players short on the list and still have to pay out the contracts.

Can you confirm that Peake and Polo got new one year contracts?

So if they were already contracted, how could he have secured Dawson?
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... ract-for-p..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/f ... 6179942478

Clarke, Peake, Ray, Polo all signed after Pelchen arrived and towards the end of last season.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

SainterK wrote:Clarke, Peake, Ray, Polo all signed after Pelchen arrived and towards the end of last season.
Hey K, a devil's advocate is always worthwhile... especially since this forum's resident DA is in agreeance this time. :wink:

Sure, unlike you, I'm very happy with how this is playing out and what I feel it says about our club going forward (with the proviso that BJ has been treated with respect)..., but I also reckon that you should keep on keeping everyone on their toes by continuing to point out the possible pitfalls. :idea:

Keep punching!

PS: But don't let fighting the good fight distract you from the most important Saintsational task that you have at hand... :wink:
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Mon 01 Oct 2012 8:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
jays
Club Player

see ya

seano1
Club Player

stuff him...hope he does his knee 1st game........but he will always be remember taking those high marks in a saints jumper

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I wonder what the Essendon players will think when Greedard spits the dummy and starts finger pointing and directing traffic, especially trying to
get someone to cover his man as he free wheels...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Gershwin
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:Do we get a compensation pick this year or next year?
I'll answer my own question.
I would appear that we will not get the compensation pick this year.

summertime and the living is easy ........
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I texted a friend with "good clubs keep good players" he replied "good people stay at good clubs"

a major Touche.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
Gershwin wrote:Do we get a compensation pick this year or next year?
I'll answer my own question.
I would appear that we will not get the compensation pick this year.
We will get the pick this year, FA compensation picks cannot be "banked"

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:

SainterK, you can't take last years recruiting too much into account. Our coach walked out not long before trade week and this would have had a crucial impact on our decisions re the list and whom to pick up in the trade period. This year was a year of muddling through and getting games into young players to see what their stocks were worth to set our sights on this years trade period. Also, the money offered to Goddard is ridiculous. We could not afford it when we have crucial list deficiencies elsewhere on our list.

I am gutted that BJ has left, but I am feeling strangely hopeful and optimistic at the same time. As much as I am devastated by this decision, ultimately I support the St Kilda FC, not Brendan Goddard. I wish him well (unlike the poster that wished him to hurt his knee).

Time to regroup, and look towards the future. The decision has been made, BJ has moved on and it is time for us to do so also.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
PaytonPlace
Club Player

Definitely need to embrace the Sydney mantra - no one is bigger than the club

I'm American and used to this

People leave, you appreciate the memories and never look back and move on to get players who want to play for us

And boo the holy hell out of them R1 next year...

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Clarke, Peake, Ray, Polo all signed after Pelchen arrived and towards the end of last season.
You'd take BJ over that lot combined, surely.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:

You'd take BJ over that lot combined, surely.
You'd take Dawson over that lot… was strange that we didn't.