Umpires F%$king useless

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpires F%$king useless

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
1965 Saint wrote:I agree it was awful last night. And if you want any further evidence that the AFL is now totally corrupt have alook at the first quarter of today's Shockers v Bulldogs game. Fremantle is another Dimwit love child - well they need to win a flag dont they!!!!

What's really galling is that they dont even try to hide it now. Dimwit should be in gaol.

Yep because it makes sense the fead of the AFL tells umpires to cheat. Funny how it never gets into the media. You would think a story like that would be the first 20 pages of the paper.
4 pages for you to finally post in this thread plugger.. And it was in response to someone's opinion, a comment which struck me as frustratingly tongue in cheek..

What is your opinion on the quality of umpiring from the match? Honestly? As an isolated game, what mark out of 10? Do you believe the 9-1 inside 50 free count was warranted? Just interested in your thoughts.

Id be pretty sure it wasnt tongue in cheek anyway who knows.

As for the umpiring last night i thought it was poor at best and we got a bad deal. Do i think umpires cheat. No. Do I think the AFL tell them to favour sides. No. Do i think we get worse deals than other sides. No.

A perfect example of why I think people see the game through one eye is a comment on here. Someone said the 23 to 15 frees says it all but last week it was about the same our way but many still thought we got a poor deal last week. You cant have it both ways. They were poor last night and the blond guy was clearly the worst IMO.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Just like players and coaches do, the umpires had a poor performance last night which played a major role in the outcome of the game. They're not perfect but they weren't even average....Below average IMO. They had an absolute howler of a performance.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes you toss a coin ten times and nine heads come up.
There was a definite bias, but random bias. (I hope).

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: Id be pretty sure it wasnt tongue in cheek anyway who knows.

As for the umpiring last night i thought it was poor at best and we got a bad deal. Do i think umpires cheat. No. Do I think the AFL tell them to favour sides. No. Do i think we get worse deals than other sides. No.

A perfect example of why I think people see the game through one eye is a comment on here. Someone said the 23 to 15 frees says it all but last week it was about the same our way but many still thought we got a poor deal last week. You cant have it both ways. They were poor last night and the blond guy was clearly the worst IMO.
Fair call and agree with your assessment.. Thanks.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:I don't blame the umpires for all their mistakes, I blame how they are being coached by a non intelligent buffoon who hasn't got a clue. I blame that almost every week their told to interpret the rules differently from the week before. I blame the rules committee constantly interferring with the game because they don't like the way it is going, but aren't good enough to get a coaching job to do something about it, or had one and failed miserably.
You look at the rules how they are today, Lockett and Dunstall would not have kicked half the goals they got, SIlvangi's career would have been over before it started.
We have more rule changes in a year than other codes have had for their entire history of existence.
I saw so many tackles last night, and in other games, that should have been rewarded, but aren't. It seems you get holding the ball only if the player dares to interupt the flow of game, not because of the tackle. Using ones body strength to take a mark has been virtually outlawed, and yet they want to see more contested possessions.
For the sake of the game, leave it alone and let it evolve naturally.
No wonder the umpires are confused, because they have to deal with a new set of rules every game.

Great post 3GS. Exactly. Turning the game soft as butter.
Agree with Plugger that it's ludicrous to suggest some sort of conspiracy or deliberate, AFL decreed intention to make one side lose.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:I don't blame the umpires for all their mistakes, I blame how they are being coached by a non intelligent buffoon who hasn't got a clue. I blame that almost every week their told to interpret the rules differently from the week before. I blame the rules committee constantly interferring with the game because they don't like the way it is going, but aren't good enough to get a coaching job to do something about it, or had one and failed miserably.
You look at the rules how they are today, Lockett and Dunstall would not have kicked half the goals they got, SIlvangi's career would have been over before it started.
We have more rule changes in a year than other codes have had for their entire history of existence.
I saw so many tackles last night, and in other games, that should have been rewarded, but aren't. It seems you get holding the ball only if the player dares to interupt the flow of game, not because of the tackle. Using ones body strength to take a mark has been virtually outlawed, and yet they want to see more contested possessions.
No wonder the umpires are confused, because they have to deal with a new set of rules every game.

Agree with Plugger that it's ludicrous to suggest some sort of conspiracy or deliberate, AFL decreed intention to make one side lose.
Agree. We're just very unlucky. See umpires, bounce, toe poke etc. Have we had some sort of bone pointed at us at some stage? :?

Old Mate wrote:Just like players and coaches do, the umpires had a poor performance last night which played a major role in the outcome of the game. They're not perfect but they weren't even average....Below average IMO. They had an absolute howler of a performance.
Not like players at all...they position themselves and make a call. You would think if there was any doubt they would not blow the damn thing but we know they need to be noticed.

Players also have other players trying to win the ball as well as being skillful and need to know where aother players are around them.

Cannot compare

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Just like players and coaches do, the umpires had a poor performance last night which played a major role in the outcome of the game. They're not perfect but they weren't even average....Below average IMO. They had an absolute howler of a performance.
Not like players at all...they position themselves and make a call. You would think if there was any doubt they would not blow the damn thing but we know they need to be noticed.

Players also have other players trying to win the ball as well as being skillful and need to know where aother players are around them.

Cannot compare
In terms of 'decision making' I beg to differ. What's the difference between an umpire making a decision on whether to award a free kick or not and a player choosing the right option to kick or handball too? And I'm not talking about skill, just decision making.

resaintlee
Club Player

From my 2nd level seat in the forward pocket I could clearly align marks and 'incidents' with the goal and point posts. Our players were moved to tighter angles and the Tigers to more open angles several times. Also, the Tigers came over the mark several times, unfortunately, we don't seem to worry about standing 'on' the mark.
The big drugs in sport announcement also raised the issue of betting in sport. If they are serious then this should be an example which needs to be investigated. Based simply on the statistics there are explanations needed.

Freebird
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
Freebird wrote:

Cannot compare
In terms of 'decision making' I beg to differ. What's the difference between an umpire making a decision on whether to award a free kick or not and a player choosing the right option to kick or handball too? And I'm not talking about skill, just decision making.

Unfortunately they have to get the ball there, not just decide to. they're doing it under preasure of everyone trying to tackle etc etc.

Cannot compare

StPeter
Club Player

I have been attending footy for many years but I can't remember a more biased , one sided display of umpiring...even worse than 'Whispers in the Sky" against Fremantle.

The saints were disappointing at times, but clearly the umpires had a huge influence on the eventual result.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Possibly the worst umpiring I've ever witnessed.

I dont know if they are influenced by the crowd, the AFL, their egos, cash inducements, innate prejudice against what are seen as 'B' grade and lesser clubs, and nor do I care, but the bias was evident and is real, and needs to be addressed.

Although I saw some shockingly soft frees go the other way too... waaaay less often and usually safely in our back half.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Possibly the worst umpiring I've ever witnessed.

I dont know if they are influenced by the crowd, the AFL, their egos, cash inducements, innate prejudice against what are seen as 'B' grade and lesser clubs, and nor do I care, but the bias was evident and is real, and needs to be addressed.

Although I saw some shockingly soft frees go the other way too... waaaay less often and usually safely in our back half.

The Pies game last year gave it a run for it's money though.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
1965 Saint wrote:I agree it was awful last night. And if you want any further evidence that the AFL is now totally corrupt have alook at the first quarter of today's Shockers v Bulldogs game. Fremantle is another Dimwit love child - well they need to win a flag dont they!!!!

What's really galling is that they dont even try to hide it now. Dimwit should be in gaol.

Yep because it makes sense the fead of the AFL tells umpires to cheat. Funny how it never gets into the media. You would think a story like that would be the first 20 pages of the paper.
4 pages for you to finally post in this thread plugger.. And it was in response to someone's opinion, a comment which struck me as frustratingly tongue in cheek..

What is your opinion on the quality of umpiring from the match? Honestly? As an isolated game, what mark out of 10? Do you believe the 9-1 inside 50 free count was warranted? Just interested in your thoughts.
you will have to tell me what the umpires best friend thinks...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Agree. We're just very unlucky. See umpires, bounce, toe poke etc. Have we had some sort of bone pointed at us at some stage? :?
yep...a bloke named john kelly in the nt...when the saints wouldn't release cuz for a game up there.....

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Damn that John Kelly.

Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote:I have been attending footy for many years but I can't remember a more biased , one sided display of umpiring...even worse than 'Whispers in the Sky" against Fremantle.

The saints were disappointing at times, but clearly the umpires had a huge influence on the eventual result.
anybody suggesting umpires don't cheat or deliberately give frees to sides in front of goals with the intention of ensuring a result have obviously forgotten or not known about the match you refer to.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Damn that John Kelly.

yep...i used to know somebody who was friendly with him up in the territory.....i was intending to have him speak to kelly...never got around to it...my mate's no longer there..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

markp
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Sometimes you toss a coin ten times and nine heads come up.
And sydney gets extra sc because it costs more to live in sydney... Barry Hall's punch on goose was 'in play'... oh and the draw is worked out so that no one is unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged.

It's one big fix.

The umpires are hardly going to receive written instructions, but they surely know what side their bread is buttered on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Sometimes you toss a coin ten times and nine heads come up.
And sydney gets extra sc because it costs more to live in sydney... Barry Hall's punch on goose was 'in play'... oh and the draw is worked out so that no one is unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged.

It's one big fix.

The umpires are hardly going to receive written instructions, but they surely know what side their bread is buttered on.

Surely you dont really think that. if you do can you come up with actual stats to prove it. It should be easy if it is that obvious. And then someone says we were even placed on worse angles when having shots at goal. How can you have a serious conversation if people actually think that.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:The crime commission should look into some accounts. The AFL is a joke and hard to watch when the umpires are more of a factor every week.

I had the same thoughts.

Just follow the money.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Talking about umpires. Surely it was a free against Picken today when he got the goal umpire below his knee.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:The umps put in a dismal performance tonight. Bad decisions going against both teams.

Did anyone notice they seemed to tone it down in the last? It was almost as though they put their whistles where they belong.

But that free kick awarded to J. Riewoldt was just a howler. If he's not the umpy's drinking buddy tonight...

They may have toned it down in the alst but the third was well, perplexing, it seemed as if it was miss one infringement (against us) pay the next one (to them). Miss one, pay one all through the quarter.

I would have thought that the umpires from the previous game would not follow up the next week with one of the teams.
Two weeks in a row for that mob thought I was renewing the Vozzo/Chamberlain/McBurney triad from days gone by.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

resaintlee wrote:From my 2nd level seat in the forward pocket I could clearly align marks and 'incidents' with the goal and point posts. Our players were moved to tighter angles and the Tigers to more open angles several times. Also, the Tigers came over the mark several times, unfortunately, we don't seem to worry about standing 'on' the mark.
The big drugs in sport announcement also raised the issue of betting in sport. If they are serious then this should be an example which needs to be investigated. Based simply on the statistics there are explanations needed.

I have similar thoughts that it seems to have been a focus on players being part of the "match fixing allegations" hinted at in the Australian Crime Commission, but no seems to have considered the possibiility of an ump, or two may have participated.

But I'm beginning to believe that information if correct will never be acted upon.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It's rare that I'll blab on about umpy's. But last night was disgraceful. The soft free kicks paid that resulted in Richmond goals got me as frustrated as I've been for a long while at the footy.

Maybe I was viewing the game through one eye I don't know. I text a good mate who doesn't barrack for either team during the last quarter, and his reply was 'Can't say I've noticed them.'

I thought the free for deliberate OOB against Jackson straight after half time was a joke as well - and it did result in a goal to us. But so many went against us, and so many seemed sooo soft. I saw Gilbert's arms swiped clearly on the AFL HFF. Nil call on it and a goal to the tiges resulted. Yet Vickery had what looked like the softest free ever paid to him for an arm chop for what looked to me live and on the replay a perfect spoil by Blake. For mine it ruined what I thought was an entertaining game. In almost every contest in the first 3 quarters I thought they were going to pay a free of some sort.