Email from Chris Pelchen to Members

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Email from Chris Pelchen to Members

INteresingly, the other teams did one thing better than us in those periods. They invested in the rookie draft and secured some very good players who helped them get over the line.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:People with plans succeed.

Pelchen has a plan so I would rather this than a recruiting team or head of football that is keen on just getting as many young kids at pick 60-80 in the draft just to stack numbers.

The higher the pick, the higher the (usual) chance of becoming a good player.

If we are to attain 12 picks in the next 4 years that are top 20, some will be strong hits and some will be huge misses.

If the majority become guns then rebuild done, Dean Polo can be brought back as the 22nd player...experienced and all.

But seriously, the bloke with the plan and the fantastic CV should be given time to complete the task.
Excellent post Redeemer. You are spot on. However from the 12 picks if we have one or two who dont turn out OK, do you reckon certain sad sacks on here will focus on the ten or cane the club for "wasting" two picks?
I would make one comment regarding Redeemers quote about "People with plans succeed",

This is usually true however just having a plan doesn't necessarily guarantee success and so it is important to ensure you have a viable plan and also don't set it in concrete. Plans should be a live and dynamic document that are constantly being reviewed and improved as required.

The interesting point I take out of Chris's letter is that he states that his plan was delivered in June 2013 which raises some questions. If Chris has been in his current position since 2011 what plan was in place prior to 2013. Clearly there has been a plan in place because Chris has outlined strategies prior to June 2013 but I just wonder who instigated the submission to the board. Was it a request from the board or did Chris simply cold canvas the plan he already had in place.

Which brings me back to viable plans. Although the plan is one that Chris has used at two previous clubs, the club now owns the plan and as such should they have the plan reviewed by external experts to check if there are any weaknesses or if there can be any improvements.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:So, assuming that the 2011 and 2012 drafts have so far been productive for us, and we hope to do the same in 2013 and 2014, it will probably be 2016 at the very earliest that we will look like challenging for top 4 positions and most likel 2018 when we can really challenge for the big one.

If we c**k it up in 2013 and 2014, then we'll mediocre into the next decade. So, don't be sad if we finish last in 2014. We need to take advantage of our current predicament, not wallow in self pity, anger, and finger pointing.
Yep, spot on. We'll finish bottom two in 2014, let's all get used to that now. I reckon we'll also be largely non-competitive in 2015, though later in the year we might start to show a bit, similar to 2003.

If you work it out, it's not until the end of 2015 that we start to get a big bunch of players up over about 40 games. Curren, Wright, Murdoch, Saunders, Lee, Webster, Ross, Hickey, Newnes, Siposs, Simpkin. If all goes well then all of these guys should be approaching 50 games and about 21, 22, 23. For comparison, at the start of this year Jack Steven was exactly 23 with 51 games under his belt. That's a good age for a guy to really take off.

So I'd expect in 2016 there's room for a lot of players to hit their straps at about the same time and that's when we'll start winning games again. Absolutely agree that's it's probably closer to 2018 before we get near the big dance.

Let's all learn patience and realism for a couple of years.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

[quote="Cairnsman"

The interesting point I take out of Chris's letter is that he states that his plan was delivered in June 2013 which raises some questions. If Chris has been in his current position since 2011 what plan was in place prior to 2013. Clearly there has been a plan in place because Chris has outlined strategies prior to June 2013 but I just wonder who instigated the submission to the board. Was it a request from the board or did Chris simply cold canvas the plan he already had in place.[/quote]

One suspects that the "plan" might have been recut after we lost the early games, copped some injuries and Watters accidentally on purpose said to the media "we're rebuilding" in April, which might have been a tad earlier than everyone else had thought we were formally rebuilding (as opposed to trying to salvage another finals tilt out of the 2013 season, having just missed out in 2012).

One hopes our Board said something along the lines of "if we're really rebuilding, let's see the plan" ...

Always loyal
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How can we position ourselves in 2015 to bid aggressively for a free agent when the majority of our talent will be further developed and demand more money. The 20 players from 18-23yo
That will become a problem only once they start winning a lot of matches. Until then they are just underachieving kids.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

But Carl... It's been suggested we are on a sure path to success... Therefore will be winning?

Will 21-24yo players be paid more than 18-20 yo players?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I'm sure they haven't considered that... wow.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:But Carl... It's been suggested we are on a sure path to success... Therefore will be winning?

Will 21-24yo players be paid more than 18-20 yo players?
stop with sophistry BM, no strategic directive can guarantee a sure path to success. You put it together using current data, and implement through KPI,s and KRA's.

It "guarantees" nothing, however it gives you a better chance to be successful.

Really you are punching out of your weight on this issue. You are clueless when it comes to organisational change, and membership organisations.

As someone who has worked in a membership body for over ten years, I can tell you that your are totally an utterly ignorant of the managerial business process vital to a membership body.

Please give it up, you are sounding incredibly foolish and increasingly silly.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Yeah I'm sure they haven't considered that... wow.
Of course not. Put forward a comprehensive strategic directive for list management with a pillar being we will go hard at FA in 2016, but haven't analysed the impact of TPP to maturing players.

Wow what an oversight :roll:

I mean fair dinkum, BM must be trolling, because if he truly believe what he is posting, it is embarrassing for him.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Again...

Just to reiterate

Good read, it seems it was needed for some supporters?!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

BigMart wrote:Again...

Just to reiterate

dear god are you still prattling on???

Answer me this - is there anything at all you like about our club? Anything?

Beyond the opportunity to come on a fan forum and piss and moan I mean........

Honestly, your self proclaimed insights and expertise are going to waste on here, you should be on a payroll at an AFL club. Except that they need decisions based in the present, for the future, not hindsight. Seriously, polish up on that and you're in like Flynn.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
stop with sophistry BM
Love it JB.

L O V E

I T

Crikey, the succession of fictions and phantasms by some is mind boggling.

Oh, the intellectual morass..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:People with plans succeed.

Pelchen has a plan so I would rather this than a recruiting team or head of football that is keen on just getting as many young kids at pick 60-80 in the draft just to stack numbers.

The higher the pick, the higher the (usual) chance of becoming a good player.

If we are to attain 12 picks in the next 4 years that are top 20, some will be strong hits and some will be huge misses.

If the majority become guns then rebuild done, Dean Polo can be brought back as the 22nd player...experienced and all.

But seriously, the bloke with the plan and the fantastic CV should be given time to complete the task.
Excellent post Redeemer. You are spot on. However from the 12 picks if we have one or two who dont turn out OK, do you reckon certain sad sacks on here will focus on the ten or cane the club for "wasting" two picks?
I would make one comment regarding Redeemers quote about "People with plans succeed",

This is usually true however just having a plan doesn't necessarily guarantee success and so it is important to ensure you have a viable plan and also don't set it in concrete. Plans should be a live and dynamic document that are constantly being reviewed and improved as required.

The interesting point I take out of Chris's letter is that he states that his plan was delivered in June 2013 which raises some questions. If Chris has been in his current position since 2011 what plan was in place prior to 2013. Clearly there has been a plan in place because Chris has outlined strategies prior to June 2013 but I just wonder who instigated the submission to the board. Was it a request from the board or did Chris simply cold canvas the plan he already had in place.

Which brings me back to viable plans. Although the plan is one that Chris has used at two previous clubs, the club now owns the plan and as such should they have the plan reviewed by external experts to check if there are any weaknesses or if there can be any improvements.
You are asking questions that really do not need to be answered or lend themselves to bulls*** conspiracy theories.

Do you really think that Pelchen's plan was constructed in June 2013? Surely not...

You are correct, having a plan does not guarantee success however by that logic neither does having a plan.

Like a CV, the man has done it before, obviously likes building things so let him do the job he was employed.

Oh and 'external experts'? f*** that. why do we need them? because someone on an internet forum desires complete and almost pathetic transparency?

Let the man do his job.

You would not like your credentials basically shat all other if you joined a new business and then had your performance and plans for the businesses further externally qualified would you?

No you wouldn't so stop living in a fairy world.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

You are asking questions that really do not need to be answered or lend themselves to bulls*** conspiracy theories.

Do you really think that Pelchen's plan was constructed in June 2013? Surely not...

You are correct, having a plan does not guarantee success however by that logic neither does having a plan.

Like a CV, the man has done it before, obviously likes building things so let him do the job he was employed.

Oh and 'external experts'? f*** that. why do we need them? because someone on an internet forum desires complete and almost pathetic transparency?

Let the man do his job.

You would not like your credentials basically shat all other if you joined a new business and then had your performance and plans for the businesses further externally qualified would you?

No you wouldn't so stop living in a fairy world.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa Princess! I think we are on the same page so I'm not sure what the hissy fit is all about. You do realise I am a big fan of CPs. Maybe re-read my post when you've calmed down.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So given 90% of us understand we we will bottom 4 next year can we come up with our own plan to combat the inevitable shreiks of 'sack the coach' that will come next year ?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So given 90% of us understand we we will bottom 4 next year can we come up with our own plan to combat the inevitable shreiks of 'sack the coach' that will come next year ?
Easy; sack the coach! :D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Again...

Just to reiterate

The E-Mail is a bit of an over-view of what was presented to the Platinum Members about 2 months ago. That presentation was part of the 40 page document that was presented to the Board about 2 months prior. That 40 page document would also be part of the club's Strategic Planning. If that Plan is a 4 year plan (most are around that length of time) it would have a performance review at the start (around now), another at the 1/2 way point (in 2 years time) and another towards the end of the time frame. It would be a "Live" document where goals, KPI's, situations etc change as performance levels change. Then that plan is able to be rolled into the next plan !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bottom 4 here we come. Let the games begin!!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Bottom 4 here we come. Let the games begin!!
I suspect that for 2014 you are correct. I also think the club is also bracing itself for this. 2015 should see some improvement. 2016 should see some excitement about the place. 2017 we should consolidate in the top 4-8. 2018 should see us having our next real crack !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joffa... Didn't know you were such a Boffin?

I also didn't know that you knew me so well as too know how we compare in

Did you get that from a few posts on a football fan site

I do know I have 150 people employed have 2000 very important customers, and more importantly their children....have to run an organisation that is scrutinised by the government annually, by its council monthly... And I work in an industry that deals with people of all ages 12-70, all backgrounds... History-Maths-PE and so on... And people with various level of education.... Support, teachers, parents.....

You work in finance don't you?...

Oh,
all the stuff you sprouted... That's basic stuff, most managers know blah, blah.... Leadership is very different, involves high level interpersonal skills... Like yours, where you just bag the s*it out of people who don't conform
I think you're a bully.... A person who can't handle an opposing view and a person who simply believes are simply better.... With a statement like
You're out of your depth.... Seriously you don't know me.... You think you do, but reality is... You don't at all

But hey, that's only my opinion.... As is yours of me....

Out of my depth?

Turn it into a mine is bigger than yours.... Episode, I am not so arrogant to think I auto

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joffa... Didn't know you were such a Boffin?

I also didn't know that you knew me so well as too know how we compare in

Did you get that from a few posts on a football fan site

I do know I have 150 people employed have 2000 very important customers, and more importantly their children....have to run an organisation that is scrutinised by the government annually, by its council monthly... And I work in an industry that deals with people of all ages 12-70, all backgrounds... History-Maths-PE and so on... And people with various level of education.... Support, teachers, parents.....

You work in finance don't you?...

Oh,
all the stuff you sprouted... That's basic stuff, most managers know blah, blah.... Leadership is very different, involves high level interpersonal skills... Like yours, where you just bag the s*it out of people who don't conform
I think you're a bully.... A person who can't handle an opposing view and a person who simply believes are simply better.... With a statement like
You're out of your depth.... Seriously you don't know me.... You think you do, but reality is... You don't at all

But hey, that's only my opinion.... As is yours of me....

Out of my depth?

Turn it into a mine is bigger than yours.... Episode, I am not so arrogant to think I auto
wtf?!

:shock:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
groupie1
Club Player

keep it up, lads, this is fun to watch

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

can't wait for the reply...this is going to be good.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:can't wait for the reply...this is going to be good.
Not going to reply to someone who is so far out of his depth it isn't funny.

A schoolteacher who has coached junior football and alluding to being in the Army reserve really hasn't a single clue of business.
A good example is the response fingers gave to his simplistic and ignorant post on Leading teams. If anybody knew what fingers did for a living they would know his single word reply of Bulls*** sums up what a true professional things of an amateur big noting on the internet.

As I posted previously, it is not my responsibility to teach or inform someone of their gross falshoods. However I will point out totall bollocks someone with obviously no knowledge is spouting.

I have worked in an organisation with turnover of more than 140 million dollars with nearly 150k members for almost a decade. I intimately understand how reviews and change management occurs.

What I wont have is some half educated high school teacher from a non descript suburb lecturing the forum on how a membership organisation should conduct a performance review.

Incredible arrogance mixed with delusions of adequadecy coupled with outrageous ignorance.

And I dont work in finance, but have done and could do again if I chose. I do work in a position at a membership body and have been involved in at least 5 reviews and restructures since being there.

But hey what does that count compared to the vast knowledge of a PE teacher and cut lunch Commando who is a legend in their own mind?

Lance or James??