Saints games in 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints games in 2015

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Richmond have started playing finals again? Not sure where you are going with Richmond, they are historically a huge club who have been down for 30 years.

I'm not talking about 6 day breaks at all so you can probably stop mentioning that to me.

Yes they have now but they hadn't in 2012 and in 2009 they had less membership than us. They grew without TV exposure. My point in our fixture has little to nothing to do with membership numbers and our sponsorship has been poor even when we had huge exposure. We are a small club that will get the good slots when we come good. The big clubs usually get the good slots whether they are good or bad however the Tigers didn't but still grew as a club.
Richmond are traditionally a huge club, not sure why you keep talking about them, it's only lack of on field success that has seen their support drop away.

We had Centrebet when we had good exposure, now we have an obscure light bulb company.

It's widely acknowledged by the AFL that good fixtures and more games against bigger clubs raise membership and revenue… that's not even up for debate.

Centrebet weren't even a full major sponsor. It was in conjunction with some other sponsor. I mention Richmond because for all the reasons you gave why the fixture will hurt us didn't have any effect on them and that was when they were still a poor club on the ground. It is very relevant. A good fixture will raise revenue but I certainly would debate how the hell a good fixture increases membership. Seen that you don't like me using the tigers and will now ask about Port Adelaide. Their fixture has never been a Friday night fixture and thay have had no trouble increasing membership and I would guess sponsorship. I would guess the Hawks haven't even had as many Friday night games lately as we did in our glory days and they have no trouble increasing membership and sponsorship. Our problem is our supporters aren't members and we are a terrible side. The fixture isn't really our problem.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A good fixture will raise revenue but I certainly would debate how the hell a good fixture increases membership.
I'm just getting this info on the AFL's statement about equalisation.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-04/f ... ns-and-agm

FIXTURE

If fixtures are to be designed to maximise attendances and television ratings, then the big drawing clubs must have the prime time slots (Friday nights) and blockbuster games (Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday).

Fulfilling that objective multiplies the power of bigger drawing clubs because it increases their gate receipts and membership, as well as sponsorship opportunities. It works in reverse for poorer drawing clubs.

If exposure doesn't make any difference to membership, how have Collingwood, Essendon doubled their membership in the past 10 years? Success is obviously another factor as seen with Hawthorn & Port recently, but Collingwood & Essendon only have 1 flag between them in 15 years.

You are focusing too much on small blocks of years, I am suggesting that 10 and 15 years of prime time exposure makes a big difference, the revenue form the Anzac day monopoly alone would be 10's of millions for Essendon & Collingwood… the resulting membership and financial gains they have received on the back of years of prime time exposure can't even be measured - but it's massive.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:A good fixture will raise revenue but I certainly would debate how the hell a good fixture increases membership.

FIXTURE

If fixtures are to be designed to maximise attendances and television ratings, then the big drawing clubs must have the prime time slots (Friday nights) and blockbuster games (Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday).

Fulfilling that objective multiplies the power of bigger drawing clubs because it increases their gate receipts and membership, as well as sponsorship opportunities. It works in reverse for poorer drawing clubs.

If exposure doesn't make any difference to membership, how have Collingwood, Essendon doubled their membership in the past 10 years? Success is obviously another factor as seen with Hawthorn & Port recently, but Collingwood & Essendon only have 1 flag between them in 15 years.

You are focusing too much on small blocks of years, I am suggesting that 10 and 15 years of prime time exposure makes a big difference, the revenue form the Anzac day monopoly alone would be 10's of millions for Essendon & Collingwood… the resulting membership and financial gains they have received on the back of years of prime time exposure can't even be measured - but it's massive.

How have Richmond doubled it in 5 years considering their fixture was no good and they weren't a great side. And I don't see how the first line suggests memberships increase because of a great fixture.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: How have Richmond doubled it in 5 years considering their fixture was no good and they weren't a great side. And I don't see how the first line suggests memberships increase because of a great fixture.
FIXTURE

Richmond in 5 years have gone from 15th to knocking on the top 4. Team success is clearly a factor in revenue and membership increases.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote: How have Richmond doubled it in 5 years considering their fixture was no good and they weren't a great side. And I don't see how the first line suggests memberships increase because of a great fixture.
FIXTURE

Richmond in 5 years have gone from 15th to knocking on the top 4. Team success is clearly a factor in revenue and membership increases.
Totally agree about success. Clearly the main factor.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Feel like I just went 10 rounds with the terminator.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

FIXTURE

Essendon have spent a squillion dollars on PR, thst's how.

Richmond had difficulties getting anyone to go to their games last year - until they got on a roll.

With us, well; We had Nettlefold, who blamed the club's lack of ability on building it's membership past a very healthy 40,000 anyway, on the schoolgirl scandal and the issues surrounding Milney.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Wonder how Essendon accumulated squillions of dollars?

darylcowie
Club Player

What do people think the club will do to make Sunday twilight games appealing for members next year?

This seems to be our designated timeslot for many home games next year.

As for my hopes for next year, I think our draw will yield a similar number of wins to this year, but I hope our percentage improves to somewhere near where it was in 2013, when we were competitive for most of the season.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:What do people think the club will do to make Sunday twilight games appealing for members next year?

As for my hopes for next year, I think our draw will yield a similar number of wins to this year, but I hope our percentage improves to somewhere near where it was in 2013, when we were competitive for most of the season.
Why do you care?

Like most Saints fans, you will be watching most games on telly.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:What do people think the club will do to make Sunday twilight games appealing for members next year?

I agree with you on the performances. Our percentage this year was an absolute disgrace and to think that it was our worst percentage for 60 years is appalling. We were rarely in games after the first few minutes of the second quarter and is a major reason why a lot of our line and assistant coaches need to be exited out, in my opinion.
Think we can win three games, maybe five if Essendon receive player bans.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'd be amazed if we win more than 2 games next year without Lenny.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I'd be amazed if we win more than 2 games next year without Lenny.
SP, that depends on what happens with Essendorf. If 20 of their starting pre 2013 starting 22 get issued with bans for half a season or more, we can add 1 or 2 more wins to our kick. They will be expecting (relying on) guys with long histories of injuries, like Chapman and Cooney, to win them games and I can't see both of them seeing out season 2015.

This would bring us up to 3 or 4 wins, which would probably flatter us, but it could happen. Wait and see.

See Cooney was excited to go to 'a big club' - wonder how that's gonna work for him.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Also think the Bulldogs will struggle a bit next year. Losing all that experience of Griffen, Cooney and Higgins in one year will have some impact, especially in the second half of the season.

darylcowie
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:

Why do you care?

No I won't wise guy, because I don't have Foxtel.

I will be attending games whenever I can get there, which isn't often due to our fan unfriendly draw next year.

I'm entitled to my opinion just like any other genuine Saints fan on this site, including you.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Why do you care?

No I won't wise guy, because I don't have Foxtel.

I will be attending games whenever I can get there, which isn't often due to our fan unfriendly draw next year.

I'm entitled to my opinion just like any other genuine Saints fan on this site, including you.
Fan unfriendly is your opinion.

Every one is different. It's reasonably fan friendly from my perspective