mock draft 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: mock draft 2015

Die Hard 7 wrote:Would be looking at Parish for 1st pick, Partington, Keays or Collins for our second and Rice, Lovell and Hagan for our later.
Also regarding trades I would be looking at Coniglio from GWS and Thompson the full back from GC
Coniglio re-signed for a further 2 years just today. Thompson has a serious hip problem id pass.

Die Hard 7
Club Player

Thanks OM shame we couldn't get Coniglio!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
dragit wrote:Weren't we led to believe that there were no good key position players on the horizon?

Wasn't that part of the premise to take McCartin instead of Petracca/Brayshaw?
Perhaps, however lucky we took Paddy as it looks like this year's good key position players may all be gone before we get to have a pick anyway.
I think Weitering grew 10cm last year so wasnt on the radar. Schache has been on the radar for a while now but I guess we couldnt rely on finishing bottom again. Good chance the Lions will go Schache at pick 1.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fair call BM. Getting our 2nd and 3rd picks is very important.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Teflon wrote:just give me best pick please.....all about choice and not stuffing it up from there..
dont worry too much Teffers

we will have pick 4-7

Scenario works like this

1-3 Probs Schache, Weitering, Francis. This seems to be the consensus

4-8 in no particular order except Parish then Mathesion, Balic, Tucker, Dunkley

if we have 4 we will take Parish, any one of the others up to 8.

Club likes Parish, then Mathesion

However if any of 1-3 are available we may take one of those

Also if Kennedy or Mills are about, we may take one of those.

Also heard we are shaking loose some underplayed franchise players from up north

Strong murmourings that Lachie Weller want to get out of Freo ASAP and big bro' has been in his ear....

Really,its not what we do with our first pick, it is nailing our second and third as we have been doing that will even out our team in the long run. Players like Newnes, Bruce, Lonie, Sinclair, DMac, Goddard etc, will be excellent players for the Saints. All have been relatively late picks.

Relax and enjoy one or two more wins as we will be stocking up on some real potential.

Exactly. If we are relying on our first pick to get up the ladder it just wouldn't happen. Sides improve when they get a draft like us in 2001. We got about 6 regulars and most of them very good players. Anyone hoping one player gets you up the ladder needs to start watching basketball where one player is 20% of the side and not less than 5%. Even the last 2 drafts for us have proven it isn't just the top picks that do the job.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Teflon wrote:just give me best pick please.....all about choice and not stuffing it up from there..

we will have pick 4-7

Scenario works like this

Also heard we are shaking loose some underplayed franchise players from up north

Strong murmourings that Lachie Weller want to get out of Freo ASAP and big bro' has been in his ear....

Really,its not what we do with our first pick, it is nailing our second and third as we have been doing that will even out our team in the long run. Players like Newnes, Bruce, Lonie, Sinclair, DMac, Goddard etc, will be excellent players for the Saints. All have been relatively late picks.

Relax and enjoy one or two more wins as we will be stocking up on some real potential.

Exactly. If we are relying on our first pick to get up the ladder it just wouldn't happen. Sides improve when they get a draft like us in 2001. We got about 6 regulars and most of them very good players. Anyone hoping one player gets you up the ladder needs to start watching basketball where one player is 20% of the side and not less than 5%. Even the last 2 drafts for us have proven it isn't just the top picks that do the job.
Think its more about the first pick being the only one we can speculate on coz 2nd & 3rd round is simply too hard to know. Most here would recognise the massive contributions made by players other than first round draft picks.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

stjay wrote: Think its more about the first pick being the only one we can speculate on coz 2nd & 3rd round is simply too hard to know. Most here would recognise the massive contributions made by players other than first round draft picks.

Fair enough. It is a very difficult call after the first round high dp. This is where we have to rely on the skill of our recruiters.

It also comes down to a bit of luck with sliders (Acres and Goddard), some measured risk (Lonie - many reckoned he was too small), and some inside knowledge - Jack Billing being best mates with Sinclair and SInclair being a bit off the radar.

Some fortuitous luck - Bruce being recruited as a back and now second in the Coleman, Membrey, no opportunity at Sydney, Mav Weller, seen as a loose cannon up north, rookied, now in the Saints leadership group.

All of these "risks" look like producing some quality.

We don't have 27 first round dp's on our list like Greater Waste of Space so that's why it is VITAL to nail the lower picks.

Sure we will have a good one in McCartin, and Billings will be a star, we will have one of Parish, Balic, Matherion, Dunkley, Tucker, Curnow, Mills or Hooper (if we want a mid which is the consensus) to compliment our other two top 5 dp's.

But three first rounders doesn't compare to GWS's 27. We need to find our talent in different ways and the recruiters are doing a good job.

Some in the know posters on Saints forums (I am not one BTW) seem pretty confident we will shake some underplayed northern franchise players out of the tree and into a Saints jumper.

Lachie Weller seems certain to come back to Vic if not this off season, then the next.

And while the talk of Treloar being a certain Magpie, don't believe everything you read. Tippett was certain to go north to Qld, Buddy was no certainty to go to Sydney, the Melbourne bloke whom I cant remember his name (the one with depression) was never going to Geelong.

Our club is fighting very hard off field and results so far have borne fruit.

You are garbage - Enough said
stjay
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote: Lachie Weller seems certain to come back to Vic if not this off season, then the next.
Definitely done well so far, hoping there's another Brucey out there waiting to come to the Saints.
Any chance you can elaborate on the Lachie Weller mail? Would be awesome to get him to the Saints and he's quoted as saying it's his dream to play with his big bro.
Hope you're right coz the times I have checked out his stats at Peel Thunder he seems to be averaging 20 possessions a game so he looks to be developing really well.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

stjay wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote: Lachie Weller seems certain to come back to Vic if not this off season, then the next.
Definitely done well so far, hoping there's another Brucey out there waiting to come to the Saints.
Any chance you can elaborate on the Lachie Weller mail? Would be awesome to get him to the Saints and he's quoted as saying it's his dream to play with his big bro.
Hope you're right coz the times I have checked out his stats at Peel Thunder he seems to be averaging 20 possessions a game so he looks to be developing really well.

Cant really elaborate, but from the WA Saints who are keeping an eye on him, they say he is not happy and wants out ASAP.

Does this mean Saints? Well our leverage is Mav and that is the reason why many are hopeful.

Also depends on what it would cost. Only one year in the West, would cost a bit to prise him out. After two, he is OOC which if he is going would be the most likely time you would think.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:

Must say I don't get that at all. He is either from Tassy or Qld but he cant come back to Victoria because he isn't one of us.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

mock draft 2015

Re Weller: I was speaking to a bloke from Tassie who knows the family well. He told me prior to last years draft Lachie wished to be picked up by a Vic club to be closer to his brother and parents (who were allegedly moving to Melbs). Lachie got drafted to Freo and the rest is history.

This same bloke recently told me Lachie is incredibly unhappy in Perth and it's his intention to move to Melbs either this year but more likely next year once his contract expires. Also wants to play with his bro and believes Saints are very interested.

stjay
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
stjay wrote:

Cant really elaborate, but from the WA Saints who are keeping an eye on him, they say he is not happy and wants out ASAP.

Does this mean Saints? Well our leverage is Mav and that is the reason why many are hopeful.

Also depends on what it would cost. Only one year in the West, would cost a bit to prise him out. After two, he is OOC which if he is going would be the most likely time you would think.
Understand, thanks for that. Yeah, when he comes OOC would seems to be the most sensible time to move as we probably won't have to pay overs for him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Freo is a terrific place to live. I know its a long way from home for a young kid who is probably home sick but maybe he is also getting the famous Ross Lyon silent treatment. Would Spencer White plus pick 24 be enough for Lachie Weller?

I am dead keen on Michael Hagan with a pick in the 40s. Just looks to have genuine pace, good disposal and a footy brain.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Freo is a terrific place to live. I know its a long way from home for a young kid who is probably home sick but maybe he is also getting the famous Ross Lyon silent treatment. Would Spencer White plus pick 24 be enough for Lachie Weller?

I am dead keen on Michael Hagan with a pick in the 40s. Just looks to have genuine pace, good disposal and a footy brain.

Well White is worth nothing so it will depend on how Weller goes next year. We wont get him for 24 this year.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Freo is a terrific place to live. I know its a long way from home for a young kid who is probably home sick but maybe he is also getting the famous Ross Lyon silent treatment. Would Spencer White plus pick 24 be enough for Lachie Weller?

Freo would want our first and if we are lucky we would get Weller and their first in return. White will be delisted, he's worthless.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Freo is a terrific place to live.
Yes, for a couple of weeks.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

Freo would want our first and if we are lucky we would get Weller and their first in return. White will be delisted, he's worthless.
I don't agree with your assessment of White.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cool

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Cool
:D

boneless23
Club Player

It looks like Weitering got the better of Schacke on Saturday.

Did anybody see the game?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Home is where the heart is I suppose Con.

I remember Des Headland going to the interview with the Lions with a Freo top on.

Even with a premiership in 2001 Headland wanted to go home ASAP and went back to WA the moment he could.

Duggan is from Bacchus Marsh but is getting regular games at WCE. Maybe he would be unhappy too if he was stuck a million miles from home playing 2nds with no prospect of even being noticed by the coach.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

boneless23 wrote:It looks like Weitering got the better of Schacke on Saturday.

Did anybody see the game?

No but from reports, it would seem you are correct.

Some have mentioned that Schacke, while good, has benefitted greatly from being on the end of Vic Country midfield and it made him look even better.

stjay
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Old Mate wrote: Freo would want our first and if we are lucky we would get Weller and their first in return. White will be delisted, he's worthless.
I don't agree with your assessment of White.
You may be right saynta, he might get another 12 months. But for a guy after 3 years playing in the thirds, not making in the "Best" and who's out of contract, the weight of probabilities are heavily against you on this one.
OM is quite right though no-one would trade for him, he's not even a set of steak knives.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

we will have pick 4-7

Scenario works like this

Think its more about the first pick being the only one we can speculate on coz 2nd & 3rd round is simply too hard to know. Most here would recognise the massive contributions made by players other than first round draft picks.
Well said and yes most do get that already but sometimes you still just gotta state the obvious to help the slow ones along.. :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

we will have pick 4-7

Scenario works like this

Well said and yes most do get that already but sometimes you still just gotta state the obvious to help the slow ones along.. :lol:
But you didn't speculate on a name so BM made an obvious comment. A comment that went of the head of those thinking the best pick will solve all the issues. Meh.