Match thread v Giants

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Grimfang
Club Player

Re: Match thread v Giants

Series of about 15 possible free kicks against GWS in that passage of play in their forward 50, not one paid.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Just way to casual today. The non Shepard by Webster was pretty ordinary. Nothing going right today.

kalsaint
Club Player

mullet wrote:following this thread and not one mention of our comeback.

Probably cause we play 5 minutes of flowing footy that scored 3 goals then licking to forwards became an issue again with wasted opportunities.

The same old line will be run about lost opportunity, not hard at it in the first half, Shaw comprehensively has out muscled Lonie and ultimately delivery continues to be poor to the forwards.
Never going to win any finals if we cant lick straight to players when clear. This bugs me more than anything as we lost 2 consecutive GF's probably for the same reason.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Sub also should be a runner. Were are you Faz.

Grimfang
Club Player

Piss weak effort from Webster. Failed to protect the ball carrier.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
kalsaint
Club Player

Grimfang wrote:Piss weak effort from Webster. Failed to protect the ball carrier.
Oh so true. If the ball carrier isn't protected expect a turnover given our kicking skills.

Webster made a few mistakes today. One terrible kick to give away an easy goal.

We need to be sure that we have the right team for the opposition of the day. I don't think we got this right and the effort was issue early but small guys get tired, bigger guys don't get shorter. We suffered from the former today.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kalsaint
Club Player

Grimfang wrote:Piss weak effort from Webster. Failed to protect the ball carrier.
Oh so true. If the ball carrier isn't protected expect a turnover given our kicking skills.

Webster made a few mistakes today. One terrible kick to give away an easy goal.

We need to be sure that we have the right team for the opposition of the day. I don't think we got this right and the effort was issue early but small guys get tired, bigger guys don't get shorter. We suffered from the former today.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Not good saints.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
kalsaint
Club Player

Listening to the SEN commentators dribble on and they mentioned the sloppy kicking and putting to the fact we have a young side. Last week was good, free space and no pressure means time is given for kicking.

Today, pressure builds and players need protection when they have the ball so time is not so critical to get a good delivery. Unfortunately we miss the simple kicks when there is perceived pressure.

Other teams have the same issue but not as much as we do in this regard. Don't we have the discipline for protection or the senior bodies to deliver this protection? Why do other clubs not have the same issue to the same extent? It baffles me as the kicking issue has been around for up to 9 years now.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The poor umpiring against us didn't help but GWS were too good. They are and will be a very good side. We aren't that far behind them. Some good picks this year and we are set ready to go.

stjay
Club Player

Gilbert 150 games - Disposals 13, efficiency 38.5%.
Hmmmm......

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:Gilbert 150 games - Disposals 13, efficiency 38.5%.
Hmmmm......
Pretty match standard stuff. No surprises.

Remember when posters were saying how he ws an AFL great and 'people how forget how good he is' and 'he really adds a lot down back ' etc etc etc. No i never forgot what Gilbert gives us. Flashes of brilliance but mainly loads of turnovers and poor decisions. Has been exactly the same for 4 years now.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:Listening to the SEN commentators dribble on and they mentioned the sloppy kicking and putting to the fact we have a young side. Last week was good, free space and no pressure means time is given for kicking.

Today, pressure builds and players need protection when they have the ball so time is not so critical to get a good delivery. Unfortunately we miss the simple kicks when there is perceived pressure.

Other teams have the same issue but not as much as we do in this regard. Don't we have the discipline for protection or the senior bodies to deliver this protection? Why do other clubs not have the same issue to the same extent? It baffles me as the kicking issue has been around for up to 9 years now.

I think you just notice when its your own team. My Tigers and Demons mates are always saying the same thing. Even my Hawks mates complain about their disposal efficiency.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:The poor umpiring against us didn't help but GWS were too good. They are and will be a very good side. We aren't that far behind them. Some good picks this year and we are set ready to go.

this

stjay
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stjay wrote:Gilbert 150 games - Disposals 13, efficiency 38.5%.
Hmmmm......
Pretty match standard stuff. No surprises.

Remember when posters were saying how he ws an AFL great and 'people how forget how good he is' and 'he really adds a lot down back ' etc etc etc. No i never forgot what Gilbert gives us. Flashes of brilliance but mainly loads of turnovers and poor decisions. Has been exactly the same for 4 years now.
Yep, no different. It's hard to drive high standards when you've got senior players turning in that sort of a display.
If it was a young kid doing it you could understand but we are out of excuses with this guy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Reality check today. At Round 15 the ladder doesn't lie and that was 8th v 13th.
It is what it is. That's where we are at. We still lack some polish and class in the midfield.

kalsaint
Club Player

gringo wrote:
kalsaint wrote:Listening to the SEN commentators dribble on and they mentioned the sloppy kicking and putting to the fact we have a young side. Last week was good, free space and no pressure means time is given for kicking.

I think you just notice when its your own team. My Tigers and Demons mates are always saying the same thing. Even my Hawks mates complain about their disposal efficiency.
You are probably partly right but I note when other teams protect their players. Collingwood did a great job of this against Hawthorn last week and a fair job against Port this week. The players concerned were also generally younger team players, being from last 2 years drafts and being defenders as well.

Richmond against the Swans and Against the Giants in that last quarter last week. Player protection was the reason the team got free on both games. The difference to the Saints was that the kicking forward was so much better.

I don't rate last weeks game against the Dons in this regard due to the lack of opposition pressure. We still have a long way to go with the basics of creation and forward kicking before we become consistently competitive.

Can also add the poor kicking against Adelaide and West Coast. We turned it over so many times by licking directly to opposition players. When those 2 team got free they protected their players and scored massively with percentage.

kalsaint
Club Player

Hawthorn Freo half time commentary on AFL site is reading much like the Giants / Saints game. Although Freo got I50's in the second term with similar efficiency to goal!

Austinnn
Club Player

If this weekend has taught me anything, its that I should never be a tipster or a gambler: I would have got 2/9 for this round.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saint6709
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:Need to change shoes. How many times are we falling over
Was at the game - the first half was ridiculous our falling over and fumbling