Board Challenge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Board Challenge

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 19 May 2018 10:25am
Teflon wrote: Sat 19 May 2018 12:23am Agree Jaxons clean out all levels needed
Yep 5-6 years we've stayed the course with these turkeys with zip
That's not old st Kilda - that's reality
Time to change , get in quality and be genuinely ruthless as an administration and footy team again
'Pleasing days of SUmmers' surely over
I just think that what's happening on field needs to be separated from what's happening off field.

A 'ruthless' board can be easily confused with a 'reckless' one.

I wouldn't say I'm defending the current board as such, but didn't they map out a pretty reasonable and solid off-field plan?

Membership record, redevelopment of Moorabbin, changing the ratbag/unprofessional culture, better sponsorship etc.?

I don't have an issue with any of that plan.

And unless I'm totally wrong (which I could be) the club has achieved that stuff.

It's the other stuff that hasn't been achieved. The on-field stuff.

Now if the Board sit on their hands and don't act on the gross failures from the guys in charge of the on-field stuff, then as a Board they'd be negligent.

And that's really the only reason a Board gets tossed. But I think it's way too early to accuse them of sitting on their hands. I'd even forgive them if they don't sack Richardson at all this year (I'd hope that they do though FWIW). But at year's end, when everyone is watching the Grand Final and is distracted, they need to come up with some bulls*** about a review and that they've mutually agreed that he had to move on.
This is my concern too.

Currently the biggest failure of our club is football department/onfield related... by every other measure we seem to be doing ok.

What’s hard to take is understanding what we’re going to do about it

jaxons
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 19 May 2018 6:58pm
Time to change , get in quality and be genuinely ruthless as an administration and footy team again
I just think that what's happening on field needs to be separated from what's happening off field.

I wouldn't say I'm defending the current board as such, but didn't they map out a pretty reasonable and solid off-field plan?

Membership record, redevelopment of Moorabbin, changing the ratbag/unprofessional culture, better sponsorship etc.?

And unless I'm totally wrong (which I could be) the club has achieved that stuff.

Now if the Board sit on their hands and don't act on the gross failures from the guys in charge of the on-field stuff, then as a Board they'd be negligent.

And that's really the only reason a Board gets tossed. But I think it's way too early to accuse them of sitting on their hands. I'd even forgive them if they don't sack Richardson at all this year (I'd hope that they do though FWIW). But at year's end, when everyone is watching the Grand Final and is distracted, they need to come up with some bulls*** about a review and that they've mutually agreed that he had to move on.
This is my concern too.

Currently the biggest failure of our club is football department/onfield related... by every other measure we seem to be doing ok.

We are $10 million in debt and ranked last in revenue and profit and every business measurement against every other club.
Sure we are going great!

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Sun 20 May 2018 12:07am

This is my concern too.

We are $10 million in debt and ranked last in revenue and profit and every business measurement against every other club.
Sure we are going great!
Just need another scandal involving the saints to top it off for the icing on the cake.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Where can we get our Neil Balme and Alister Clarkson.
Leadership on all levels is crap.
We need a voice and to be relevant and someone to make AFL accountable regarding saints matters.
Maybe Thommo can be a Balme.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Sun 20 May 2018 12:07am

This is my concern too.

Sure we are going great!
In fairness Jaxons, keep the comments in context...

I don’t think the $10million debt is attributed entirely to this admin. Look I’m not an in the know and can only look at things like the stadium deal, the increasing membership and the move back to Moorabbin as indicators as to how the board are doing.

You said in another thread we need a change from top to bottom... if you have your reasons, put them on the table or let it go

kaos theory
Club Player

Rog,

The 'record membership ' is not that impressive. What has changed is that the afl has lowered the threshold to counting a membership (e.g. 11 home games to 3). Look at out revenue from 39k members back in 2010. It was higher than today at 42k.

The move back to moorabbin had nothing to do with the board. We got pushed to seaford because we had a hostile council that wanted us out, no state gov support or afl support to stay. Things changed, a different council, the state gov started throwing money around for sport-community projects and support from the afl.

Meanwhile our football department is sinking into disarray. 5 yr re-build and players are regressing in development, game plan is a mess. And the coach get a 2 yr extension.

The rot began when the current admin seem to show its true colours: The carlton game last yr. Instead of supporting the players, the toughness and close knit knit fabric they were building was blown apart by meekly rolling over an apologising to everyone, when we did nothing wrong! They coach, a low-level compliant pawn, duly supported the management message. Look at our win loss since that game....

The board is more interested in making the saints a 'nice' team, compliant with all the latest trends in society, rather than being driven and ruthless about making us a powerful successful club.

We need a clean out - top to bottom.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote: Sun 20 May 2018 8:48am
Rog,

The 'record membership ' is not that impressive. What has changed is that the afl has lowered the threshold to counting a membership (e.g. 11 home games to 3). Look at out revenue from 39k members back in 2010. It was higher than today at 42k.

The move back to moorabbin had nothing to do with the board. We got pushed to seaford because we had a hostile council that wanted us out, no state gov support or afl support to stay. Things changed, a different council, the state gov started throwing money around for sport-community projects and support from the afl.

Meanwhile our football department is sinking into disarray. 5 yr re-build and players are regressing in development, game plan is a mess. And the coach get a 2 yr extension.

The rot began when the current admin seem to show its true colours: The carlton game last yr. Instead of supporting the players, the toughness and close knit knit fabric they were building was blown apart by meekly rolling over an apologising to everyone, when we did nothing wrong! They coach, a low-level compliant pawn, duly supported the management message. Look at our win loss since that game....

Fair enough. Good post.

To be honest, I don't follow the off-field stuff that closely.

axcellence
Club Player

Well, the current board better do something or resign.

Otherwise they will have they will have the disaster that is the 2019 membership record on their precious CV’s.

jaxons
Club Player

My sources keep telling me the guy mentioned throughout this post has some heavy hitting Saints people support and he has many on the board now fearing for their football future.
I am told he comes with cash, business smarts and many football people's support.
As I said yesterday, change is now required and forced upon us one way or another, something has to give soon.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 10:39pm My sources keep telling me the guy mentioned throughout this post has some heavy hitting Saints people support and he has many on the board now fearing for their football future.
I am told he comes with cash, business smarts and many football people's support.
As I said yesterday, change is now required and forced upon us one way or another, something has to give soon.
Cash and business smarts are good, but we also need a voice. We need someone that does our media and gets on the front foot selling our propaganda. We need someone that will keep the AFL accountable.
Noice of affirmation. Pfft. We are being f'n reamed. Say it how it is. Clarko would. Are we too scared to bite the hand that feeds us?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Rog,

The board is more interested in making the saints a 'nice' team, compliant with all the latest trends in society, rather than being driven and ruthless about making us a powerful successful club.

Great post Kaos
When you glibly skim the surface it's dangerous how easily you can be fooled....
The truth paints a little less rosy picture

“Yeah….nah””
jaxons
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 11:03pm
jaxons wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 10:39pm My sources keep telling me the guy mentioned throughout this post has some heavy hitting Saints people support and he has many on the board now fearing for their football future.
Cash and business smarts are good, but we also need a voice. We need someone that does our media and gets on the front foot selling our propaganda. We need someone that will keep the AFL accountable.
Noice of affirmation. Pfft. We are being f'n reamed. Say it how it is. Clarko would. Are we too scared to bite the hand that feeds us?
If you follow the likely people involved in this they are incredibly strong players in the media space, in fact they feed many of the footy fraternity.
The current crop of journos apparently know what is going on behind the scenes, but have been told not to name names for a while.
They wouldn't dare breach given the clout involved.
I for one am praying these people get involved, otherwise future is very bleak right now.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

could we expect Chemist Warehouse to become our Key Sponsor
and toss in longterm bucketloads from the truckloads they already spend on Advertising ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm with jaxons.

We need full blown regime change.

If we continue on our current trajectory the club is doomed. And I mean completely doomed.

Either relocated or just playing VFL.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

The sooner the better.
We are very close to slipping into the abyss.
Next week vs GC will be very telling.
I feel sorry for Richo, a decent bloke who is the obvious scapegoat- but it the regime change needs to start with him.

Nee!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 11:20pm
If you follow the likely people involved in this they are incredibly strong players in the media space, in fact they feed many of the footy fraternity.
The current crop of journos apparently know what is going on behind the scenes, but have been told not to name names for a while.
I for one am praying these people get involved, otherwise future is very bleak right now.
You paint a worrying picture Jaxons - hopefully if a take over does occur it will be done professionally and without a media storm. I also hope the new board have done their planning and have a coach etc ready to go at seasons end.

jaxons
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 12:19am
jaxons wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 11:20pm
You paint a worrying picture Jaxons - hopefully if a take over does occur it will be done professionally and without a media storm. I also hope the new board have done their planning and have a coach etc ready to go at seasons end.
Not sure I painted the picture of a media storm, in fact quite the opposite and was being complimentary to how well they are doing it, it is being done as professionally and cleanly as anyone could hope.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt seems to have seen enough....dal too

Dal also having a crack

Dal: There are too many Saints players not playing in the right position. Look at McCartin. He's a full forward. Put him in the goal square

Nick Riewoldt AFL 360

"I just can't see any semblance of game plan or identity within the footy team... if results continue the way they are, Richo will be under pressure. It would need to turn around pretty quickly."

"It does hurt."

Nick Riewoldt brutally honest on former club St Kilda #AFL360

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes BANG. That was not so much a nail in our coffin as a ruddy great steak through the heart of the club.

Rather than make a stand when we really did not much wrong (and the Blues players were hurling stuff our players way too) our club meekly surrendered and in doing so undermined the entire playing group.

We have not yet recovered and probably will not till those responsible are all gone.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 1:07am
bigred wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 12:32am More self important flogs that just want to use our club as a vehicle to promote their own agendas.
Pretty uniformed and stereotyping comment mate.
As I said earlier people in the know reckon this guy loves the Saints and is super smart tough and connected and respected in footy world.
Don’t shoot the messenger as this forum tends to do and be so negative, only passing on what I heard.
Not sure he even wants to or has expressed a desire to be involved.
If you don’t want him who do you want?
Every person will have knockers on this forum.
What are the specifics around why the board are "yes" men and how that has negatively impacted the club. Can you give examples of any decissions the board have made that have failed to improve the club or even set the club back?

No generalisations please. Specifics, even facts around decissions.

jaxons
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:01am
bigred wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 12:32am More self important flogs that just want to use our club as a vehicle to promote their own agendas.
As I said earlier people in the know reckon this guy loves the Saints and is super smart tough and connected and respected in footy world.
Don’t shoot the messenger as this forum tends to do and be so negative, only passing on what I heard.
What are the specifics around why the board are "yes" men and how that has negatively impacted the club. Can you give examples of any decissions the board have made that have failed to improve the club or even set the club back?

Not my job or inclination to air all the dirty laundry on this forum.
My information is incredibly accurate and reliably informed that change is circling and desperately required.
Choose to believe or not it makes no difference to me.
Clearly you are satisfied with on and off field at the moment?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 12:53am How long have Tascone & Shoshack been in business for? So we have a marketing/media guy and a retailer, do they know how to run a footy club?
Does Summers?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

re the Caaaarlon thing :

if

that was AND is , the trigger
(with which i agree)

the only way forward
is bringing it out into the open

how de feck do 'they' manage that
(one wonders to Self)

straight down the middle
but .... ahhhh

then it becomes a bit of a WHO ARE WE moment

a compliance to the corpocracy constraint
(sold out 'n dead on the inside)

or

something different
(more in-line with the artistic autistic social fuckups
that one becomes by supporting this Club)

its like this next bunch supposably waiting in the wings

jax made point on the media's compliance to our new Masters

THIS IS GOOD
(my favourite bit)

obviously to everyone on the coalface
who get 'disciplined regularly by BiggusDickus

that changes the game in Our favour
tick

now the question becomes

are we a disposable pawn
or a pawn to be Queened ?

but a pawn
always a pawn

less we forget our position in the marketplace

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:30am

My information is incredibly accurate and reliably informed that change is circling and desperately required.
Are you still employed at the club Jaxons?

jaxons
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:49am
jaxons wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:30am

Are you still employed at the club Jaxons?
If I was employed by the club and posting like I do on this forum then you should be even more worried about our club than we are all right now.