Richo review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo review

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 18 Feb 2019 9:59pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 18 Feb 2019 9:51pm

So if you think he has strengths what are they?
I have no idea if he has strengths nor what they are.

And no one, no current or ex-players, the club, supporters can tell me what his elite skills are.

I certainly can't see what they are from the outer. No evidence at all.

All good coaches have some elite skills or traits.

It's usually quite clear.
I don't think my source within the club will be too upset with me if I post just a small but relevant part of a private message I received from him a few months ago.

All the negative comments about Richo are a bit much.

Here's what a real ITK thinks of him

" He is an unbelievably good person whose knowledge of the game is the best I’ve seen in my time here. Really really respected by the players."

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Better than Lyon, GT and Blight possibly depending on how long this birdie was there.

Quite a statement.

Does your source have an opinion RE the breakdown?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 10:28am

And no one, no current or ex-players, the club, supporters can tell me what his elite skills are.

I don't think my source within the club will be too upset with me if I post just a small but relevant part of a private message I received from him a few months ago.

" He is an unbelievably good person whose knowledge of the game is the best I’ve seen in my time here. Really really respected by the players."
Is it Hanners?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 18 Feb 2019 8:55pm I don't care too much about Richo saying JG is a great bloke, captain or whatever. He has to say something. It isn't 2006 anymore, when Bomber Thompson was really pissed off at the review and those who instigated it. He didn't seem to hide it from the press either. I think Twitter wasn't going back in 2006. But he didn't speak to the CEO for twelve months after it. In 2007, by the way, the Cats were 2-3 after Round Five, before finishing top and winning the flag.
That's the year when quite a few of the Cats players mysteriously bulked up physically as the year went on, and injuries magically dropped off- always wondered how they did it...I don't think it was just gym work...just sayin'... :D

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Richardson is not a natural leader, it's not in his DNA.
He is obviously a very poor communicator and doing a leadership course after having already been a senior coach for five years is a sad inditement on those who appointed him to begin with.
He is not an inspiring leader and this is clearly evidenced by the performances in 2018.
The playing group were not playing with any system or any confidence.

I expect much improvement in 2019 as the list is not as bad as 2018 suggests.
I think any improvement will be less than optimal with Richardson still there.
Appoint a new senior coach like Lenny Hayes for example and you'd have even better results.
Lenny Hayes is a true leader, it's in his DNA and with quality assistants around him would really get the players buzzing and up and about.

Richardson is not a natural leader and he never will be.
Potentially it might cost more keeping him as opposed to terminating his contract early.
The one thing in keeping Richardson that does improve is our 2019 draft position.
At least we can thank Richardson for helping the club to secure Max King.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 12:31pm

Is it Hanners?
No.

To the top
SS Life Member

Bring back Allan Killigrew I say

Crossy66
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 12:44pm Richardson is not a natural leader, it's not in his DNA.
He is obviously a very poor communicator and doing a leadership course after having already been a senior coach for five years is a sad inditement on those who appointed him to begin with.
He is not an inspiring leader and this is clearly evidenced by the performances in 2018.

Appoint a new senior coach like Lenny Hayes for example and you'd have even better results.
Lenny Hayes is a true leader, it's in his DNA and with quality assistants around him would really get the players buzzing and up and about.

Potentially it might cost more keeping him as opposed to terminating his contract early.
The one thing in keeping Richardson that does improve is our 2019 draft position.
Is this just your opinion?

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 2:37pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 12:44pm Richardson is not a natural leader, it's not in his DNA.

This is my opinion and in my opinion anyone with a clue would share this opinion!

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To quantify above on knowledge we’d need to understand the “ITK” position (janitor or football manager) and tenure at the club

Really, really respected by the players is an interesting one. Does that make him a good coach?
Geary felt the need to hit him with some home truths about him communication and methods.

Sounds very generic to me.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Crossy66
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 2:48pm
Crossy66 wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 2:37pm

This is my opinion and in my opinion anyone with a clue would share this opinion!
Out of curiosity, what do you base your opinion on?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think you need to give your ITK the heave ho or refer to him as NFI.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

An unnamed ITK is just that...
It’s nice to get the tidbits but it should all be taken with a grain of salt.

It’s not like incredible football knowledge is an observation that should be kept quiet

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 12:39pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 18 Feb 2019 8:55pm I don't care too much about Richo saying JG is a great bloke, captain or whatever. He has to say something. It isn't 2006 anymore, when Bomber Thompson was really pissed off at the review and those who instigated it. He didn't seem to hide it from the press either. I think Twitter wasn't going back in 2006. But he didn't speak to the CEO for twelve months after it. In 2007, by the way, the Cats were 2-3 after Round Five, before finishing top and winning the flag.
That's the year when quite a few of the Cats players mysteriously bulked up physically as the year went on, and injuries magically dropped off- always wondered how they did it...I don't think it was just gym work...just sayin'... :D
Wow. Didn’t know that. This was probably around the same time Akermanis was saying that Leigh Matthews didn’t know about modern football and sucked as a coach. And btw, who was it who came out and said Richo’s predecessor Watters was an extremely good reader, as knowledgeable or more than most, as any in the modern game. Wasn’t it Dermie? Makes me wonder how players perceive ‘knowledge’ and ‘sense’ like the explicit or implicit or intuitive variety. If we asked an avid ‘reader of the game’ whether they thought the new 6-6-6 rule would mean a player like Paddy should get ready for bustling contests more than sprightly leads, what a ‘good’ coach, a good ‘reader’ say?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

There was clearly tension between Richardson and Adam Kingsley last season, and I suspect they had some strong disagreements on strategy. The appointment of Ratten will mean a more functional coaching box and assuming he's brought some of his knowledge over from Hawthorn, then it should convert to better performances. Mind you, I cannot imagine a team playing worse than we did last year. The only way is up.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 5:18pm There was clearly tension between Richardson and Adam Kingsley last season..... The appointment of Ratten will mean a more functional coaching box.....
Just curious, anything give you a hunch that Ratten will be happier with Richo than he was with Clarkson? Want there tension there too?

Maybe the review will help on that one?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

skeptic wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 5:01pm An unnamed ITK is just that...

It’s not like incredible football knowledge is an observation that should be kept quiet
given the theme that has run through the thread
any "comments' that are posted become social media and lose all credibility
it cant be factually proven
So therefore just "unsubstantiated" opinion
I think thats where we are at now

Seeya
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 6:18pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 5:01pm An unnamed ITK is just that...

given the theme that has run through the thread
any "comments' that are posted become social media and lose all credibility
it cant be factually proven
So therefore just "unsubstantiated" opinion
I think thats where we are at now

That's pretty good actually, although I'd also add comments/posts that are derived from opinion pieces by Murdoch media that are derived from social media.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Circumlocation

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Possible take outs from thread: being a nice person may not be desirable trait in a senior coach; Richmond taking Kingsley and Mav is pause for thought.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 8:03pm Possible take outs from thread: being a nice person may not be desirable trait in a senior coach; Richmond taking Kingsley and Mav is pause for thought.
Geary thinks there wasnt enough discussion on what went right in 4.5 wins and too much discussion on what didnt.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Seems to me that the biggest defence Richo has at the moment is that he’s a nice bloke.

Isn’t that the first thing that’s usually said about someone before the “but...”

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
guitars4
Club Player

Like it or not he is there for the start of the season. It will all depend on how the new look strategy works out . I'm not brimming with confidence but I am willing let it play out before I give an informed opinion one way or the other . It will all depend on what we see as improvement, if we move 2 spots up the ladder is that a positive or if we miss the 8 is that a negative I don't know. I'm sure we will find out pretty soon we might be pleasantly surprised or maybe I told you so .ATM I will sit on the fence & hope the club knows what it's doing. Watch this space

barneyboyz
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 8:50am
barneyboyz wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 8:01am
Crossy66 wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 12:53pm
spert wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 9:33am Not sure how long an executive or senior manager in Basset's Seek organisation would last if they had the sub standard output that Richo has had for 5 years- there would be no propping up with other staff to try and get results..you would be long gone! No doubt Richo is only still there while the club sees out his contract.
every time i read someone say something like 5 years of Richo failure, i think its inaccurate. Richo took over a wooden spooner and went 18th, 14th then 9th, missing finals only on %. At that point i reckon anyone with a balanced view would think the trajectory was about right and he was going ok in the W/L department.
In 2017 at round 16, we were in the 8 and had just given Richmond some sort of hiding. For some reason the wheels fell off at that point with the last part of the season and the next a trainwreck. We ended up missing finals by a game and % but i think it was a subpar result. 2018 was a trainwreck.
So on balance i think its more 1.5 years than 5 that have been subpar.
That Carlton game started the rot in my opinion. Was always going to be a long way back when the coach / club / media berated the players, as was done, and that has nothing to do with my belief of what was said (on field) at the time, but whatever transpired within the walls over those couple of weeks certainly had a destabilising effect. Confidence was knocked out of them, and I damn near guarantee that the bombers and hawks would have stuck phat
I've heard this discussed on social media before and if there is any truth to it that players sooked it up then surely it is time to take accountability and put it behind them and get back to being hard and aggressive at the ball.
I'm not so sure it was sooking up, but a public flogging is more apt. Yes, the club was probably very pissed, and for good reason too I suppose, but I suggest it might have been slightly over reacted to

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 9:23pm Seems to me that the biggest defence Richo has at the moment is that he’s a nice bloke.

Isn’t that the first thing that’s usually said about someone before the “but...”
Usually code for dumb c***.