Hannebery unlikely to play AFL in first month of season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Hannebery unlikely to play AFL in first month of season

takeaway wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 6:28pm What's up with Dan? Has he retired as well?
I thought it was an induced coma at the Alfred. Lol

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SaintPav wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 6:49pm
takeaway wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 6:28pm What's up with Dan? Has he retired as well?
He doesn't need to...
Pretty certain if you were close enough to Dan when he signed the contract you would heard him whisper
Thanks Lethers that's my superannuation covered
In the meantime let's see how Dylan Shiel performs rnd1 this weekend

Seeya
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The whole situation is absolutely farcical.

Sydney clearly saw the writing on the wall and offloaded a cooked player taking up salary cap space to the first (and only) fool that came along.

How anyone can spin this as anything else but an absolute disaster is beyond me. This year is a write off for him, and if you think an injury plagued 29 year old is going to rebound to 800k form next year, you are delusional.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:24pm The whole situation is absolutely farcical.

Sydney clearly saw the writing on the wall and offloaded a cooked player taking up salary cap space to the first (and only) fool that came along.

How anyone can spin this as anything else but an absolute disaster is beyond me. This year is a write off for him, and if you think an injury plagued 29 year old is going to rebound to 800k form next year, you are delusional.
NO.

Wait until the end of 2023 before making the call.

He still might come good.

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Shaggy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:24pm
Except Dan was their best player last year in the finals.

IMO very naive to think a team is happy to offload their best finals player and in their leadership group.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:47pm

IMO very naive to think a team is happy to offload their best finals player and in their leadership group.
I watched the final when Sydney were knocked out and Hannebery was abysmal.

Sydney would be deliriously happy and very relieved to offload him.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Alan Richardson says the Saints didn’t know the full extent of Dan Hannebery’s issues with his body

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/alan-r ... ac7e36dc25

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
GilsAuPair
Club Player

I love how people just make stuff up on here and hope nobody fact checks.

Firstly Sydney were knocked out week 1 of finals and were flogged.

Second Hannebery was not in the best

SYDNEY 1.4 2.4 2.6 4.6 (30)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 2.3 4.7 7.11 10.19 (79)

GOALS
Sydney: Papley 2, Parker, Ronke
Giants: Greene 3, Cameron 2, Himmelberg 2, Coniglio, de Boer, Ward

BEST
Sydney: Kennedy, Parker, Heeny, Cunningham
Giants: Davis, Whitfield, Greene, Coniglio, Himmelberg, Ward, Haynes

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/24/syd-v-gws

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Says who? Dan's old man?

takeaway
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 8:10am
Says who? Dan's old man?
"Dan Hannebery

If that was his final game for the Swans — he could be playing for a Victorian-based club next season — he can hold his head high. Worked tirelessly all game with a great balance between contested and uncontested ball. 7
" - Fox Sports (Ranking the highest of all Swans players)

Fox Sports, SEN and most other outlets had him in their best except AFL for some reason. Check it. 24 disposals, 98 fantasy points, copped a big whack (corky?) during the game but kept playing well. Will be a good addition for the club, not only due to skill and big game experience, but off the field as well.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I’m not against the Hannebery recruitment.

I was dead against giving up a high pick for an aged player on the decline, but thought we paid correct odds.

We have to pay (95%?) salary cap so it’s worth the punt for the next two years, not overly keen beyond that period.

Let’s run the course and see how it pans out before we call it a bust.

Claiming Hannebery is a bust before he has played is akin to claiming any of our recruits are or will be a success before they have kicked a ball in anger.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

No-one can claim or call the Hannebery recruitment a bust - it's just that, as a yardstick $800k per annum for 5 years on a 29 year old whose body is showing obvious signs of wear is way over the (logical) mark.
On that scale, how much would we be willing to pay for a rampagingly healthy 24 or 25 year old Dangerfield say in his prime - $3 million per annum?
Is this what Geelong paid for him?
Last edited by samoht on Sat 23 Mar 2019 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 7:47pm
I thought it was an induced coma at the Alfred. Lol
Well, his 'body needs to be rebuilt' and 'the Saints didn’t know the full extent of Dan Hannebery’s issues with his body'.

Sounds pretty bad to me.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

There's a chance that 29 year old Hannebery might come good, who's to say? ...
but the point is while other clubs apply strict due diligence principles, what are we applying - undue negligence?
There's risk involved with Hanners, we're not talking about a footballer in his prime years or at the prime of their physical state - and so you need to weight the offer accordingly ... $800 k per annum over 5 years is way, way over the top.

There are healthy, younger footballers who are in their prime or whose stocks are on the rise that come along ... like Treloar, Shiel, Mitchell (hawks) etc... did they command $800k per annum?
These are the ones that I'd prefer us to chase.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 23 Mar 2019 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 10:34am I’m not against the Hannebery recruitment.

I was dead against giving up a high pick for an aged player on the decline, but thought we paid correct odds.

We have to pay (95%?) salary cap so it’s worth the punt for the next two years, not overly keen beyond that period.

Hannebury is 28 years of age and coming off two very ordinary, injury interrupted seasons.
It's beyond obvious he is cooked and his body is no longer able to sustain the rigours of AFL.
This was obvious before he was recruited and the club have now admitted that they did not do due diligence.

In what universe is $800,000 a year for five years for an injury riddled 28 year old, correct odds?
Have performance based clauses been applied to each year of this slush fund contract?
I would bet there are none in the first four years.
In what universe is giving away what is likely to be either pick 19, 20 or 21 and 39 for pick 28, correct odds?
Claiming Hannebery is a bust before he has played is akin to claiming any of our recruits are or will be a success before they have kicked a ball in anger.
That's a completely ridiculous statement.
To compare drafting Max King to Dan Hannebury and linking the two situations together is idiotic.

If you can't see the absolute obvious that Hannebery is a total bust right now then IMHO you're delusional.
I knew he would be a bust on the day he was recruited.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 10:55am No-one can claim or call the Hannebery recruitment a bust
I called it a bust on the day Hannebery was recruited and still call it a bust now.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 11:14am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 10:34am I’m not against the Hannebery recruitment.

Hannebury is 28 years of age and coming off two very ordinary, injury interrupted seasons.
It's beyond obvious he is cooked and his body is no longer able to sustain the rigours of AFL.
This was obvious before he was recruited and the club have now admitted that they did not do due diligence.

In what universe is $800,000 a year for five years for an injury riddled 28 year old, correct odds?
Have performance based clauses been applied to each year of this slush fund contract?
In what universe is giving away what is likely to be either pick 19, 20 or 21 and 39 for pick 28, correct odds?
To compare drafting Max King to Dan Hannebury and linking the two situations together is idiotic.

If you can't see the absolute obvious that Hannebery is a total bust right now then IMHO you're delusional.

Idiotic, ridiculous, delusional.
Lucky I am not a poster who reports to the moderator or I think you’d be enjoying a Saintsational holiday 👍

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

The recruiting should be handed over to Saintsational ... we would do a much better job .. and for free (or a free membership upgrade). :wink:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Apart from the dubious decision to recruit Hannebery in the first place, Richardson’s comments demonstrate that not too much has changed with him either. “He has to be re-built”......are you serious? What planet is this guy on if he thinks a 28 year old with chronic hamstring issues can be re-built to be an $800,000 a year player????
The self-delusion continues.
And they didn’t know the extent of it before recruiting him.. oh sweet Jesus.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 11:23am
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 11:14am

Idiotic, ridiculous, delusional.
Lucky I am not a poster who reports to the moderator or I think you’d be enjoying a Saintsational holiday 👍
I'm not calling you an idiot.
I believe you're not an idiot which is why I'm surprised by your statement I regard as idiotic.
I think you're assessment of the situation is delusional if you're not already aware of this farce being a total bust.

In what universe are they correct odds for Hannebury :roll:
In what universe is it akin to comparing Hannebery to the other recruits?

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 11:27am Apart from the dubious decision to recruit Hannebery in the first place, Richardson’s comments demonstrate that not too much has changed with him either. “He has to be re-built”......are you serious? What planet is this guy on if he thinks a 28 year old with chronic hamstring issues can be re-built to be an $800,000 a year player????
The self-delusion continues.
And they didn’t know the extent of it before recruiting him.. oh sweet Jesus.
PRECISELY

Our very own Four Million Dollar man.
I hope we're not skimping on the rebuild, might have to throw an extra 2 million at the situation just to be sure.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

GilsAuPair wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 5:13am

GOALS

BEST

Forget the stats, I watched that game, Sydney got thumped its true. Still, Hannebery was awesome, in everything and kept them in it in the first half.

He's not a bloke that will ever let you down in Finals. He was easily among Sydney's best that night, if not their best player.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 6:31pm

GOALS

BEST

Forget the stats, I watched that game, Sydney got thumped its true. Still, Hannebery was awesome, in everything and kept them in it in the first half.

He's not a bloke that will ever let you down in Finals. He was easily among Sydney's best that night, if not their best player.
Yeah righto :roll:

takeaway
Club Player

GilsAuPair wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 8:32pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 6:31pm

GOALS

BEST

Yeah righto :roll:
And, as stated early in the thread, was named in the best on many media outlets, including best player for Swans on Fox Sports. So it pays to check facts properly.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

AR Quote 1 "He needs to be rebuilt"
AR Quote 2 "He won't be playing for the Saints any time soon"

Enrico Quote "Congrats to our best of class recruitment team and their cutting edge due diligence procedures"

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!