Do you honestly think bringing in 5 traded players was the right move?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Barometer
Club Player

Re: Do you honestly think bringing in 5 traded players was the right move?

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 5:21pm
B.M wrote: Tue 17 Dec 2019 4:42pm Yes we bought in 5

But we also lost 4

Net result

Depends on injuries
True but who did we lose.
Bruce will hurt the most for sure and king will not be a fun from day one. Expect the odd glimpse here and there and him possibly to have spells at sandy.
Acres and Newnes are average at best although may improve under another coach and Steven was not mentally stable enough for us. He will be great at cats for a season or two but he is a bit old now
Yep. We are plus 1 on basic math and quality upgrade, not hard to see.

Furphy
Club Player

St. Kilda handled the 2019 trade like a boss. Some of the best ‘horse trading’ I’ve seen the club do in years. The Sainters will be the big improvers this year. By ‘improvers’ I mean like at least 10, maybe 12 wins. But at least we’ve taken those first few steps in the ‘thousand mile journey’

damienc
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Sat 07 Dec 2019 12:21pm I want honest debate!!!!!
Why would you bother asking the question when the answer is so obvious?

The fact that you are asking the question means you clearly have your doubts which you are entitled to have.

My response to you is this. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

So 100 percent certain about getting five new players.

I want us to win another premiership before I die. That is all.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

History and statistics prove that not all 5 will be successful trades.
Brad Hill and Zac Jones are known successfully quantities so you can guess they will be automatic selections for the next 5 years.
Paddy will be an automatic selection for the next 2 years if he doesn't have any issues with his aging body.
Buttler and Howard have the most to prove. At this stage of their careers I'm more optimistic about Buttler making it than Howard. Although I'm glad we recruited Howard as it gives us a gamble on bringing in a potential 200 gamer, I haven't swallowed the sales pitch, 45 games in 4 years doesn't scream star quality and I'm still unsure about what happened at his old club as that clearly was a strange departure. Time will tell if we paid overs.

But I'm really happy about the new players and the excitement they've added to the core group. Sometimes energy is the missing ingredient.

Lyon Tamer
Club Player

The fact that there are 5 players traded in is not an issue. The success and/or failure relates to who the players that came in. Hill & Jones makes us a better team. Hill gives us that outside run and drive that we have lacked for a long time, ditto Jones, massive plus for our team.

Howard seems like a canny investment, although doesn’t come without risk. The fact that he was dropped from the side and spent the last month not being considered cannot be ignored.

I don’t think that Ryder makes us a better team. He is not a key forward, makeshift at best, and is not the type of ruckmen we are looking for. The ruckmen we are looking for is a backup ruckman who doesn’t cost us too much and can be called upon when Marshall goes down.

As for Butler, we have given him a second chance. He will be fighting for a position in the team with a few others and might or might not make it.

But when you are looking at trading, you must consider the net effect.

And the net effect is Bruce will be a massive loss, especially in the next two years. Our key forwards are severely lacking. Last season our FWD line was lacking a tall leading forward. Bruce played as a bull smashing up packs, bringing the ball to ground and leading up the wing to be an option.

We have now given that up and have not replaced it. The other issues with this is that to get the best out of Membrey, he need to play as our traditional 3rd tall, instead he will now get the no. 1 defender each week which will decrease his impact.
Obviously King is the big hope but making him our number one target for the first few years of his career is dangerous and something that we could live to regret.

I just wish we could have come to some sort of agreement with Bruce for a couple of years as King transitions into his playing career.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Getting the experienced Ryder is better insurance than bringing in a second-rate inexperienced backup ruck who most likely would contribute little. The good thing will be a few players fighting for various positions in the seniors, unlike the last couple of seasons.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I don't view it like that, I view it as getting better players than we currently have regardless of the number. And it only cost us Bruce and some picks next year. Acres and Newnes were average at best and stuvo would not have been good for us this year regardless of how well he plays as a cat.

Biggest interest is the coach. I want better skills and game plans by the bye

goods
Club Player

Are you debating if trades have value? yes they do as the trade period exists. Why would a club trade to lesser values.. well look at it top down and to broker a deal requires effort so the question is did we bring in the right mix of talents not quantity ( 5 )value. Is this now a more balanced team? I would say yes. Why, well that's a different question.