Crouch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Crouch

Alcohol causes a significantly greater burden to the health system then all recreational drugs combined.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Very happy with Brad Crouch nominating St Kilda as his destination club, the footy dept deserves our congratulations for this coup. He will easily become the team's #1 inside mid and add substantial grunt in the engine room!

His illicit substance offence might reflect poorly on his self-discipline, but he deserves a second chance and no doubt the support staff will ensure that he is closely monitored to avoid further problems.

It is unlikely that Adelaide will match St Kilda's 5 year deal so his transfer should be straight forward and not cost any of the Saint's draft picks.

As others have remarked, Crouch coming into the team's best 22 will put pressure on a couple of players, Ross and Dunstan in particular, and that's a good thing.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Gershwin
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 9:02am
ace wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 12:30am So Crouch Potato has nominated the saints.
We can buy him cheap with picks or front end load a contract that delivers Adelaide pick No2 for no picks.
Like Hawthorn delivering pick no 2 to Melbourne in return for James Frawley.
If we don't front load his contract and simply pay his value, the Crows receive Pick 19. If we do front load the contract, they get Pick 2. Could we then offer our pick, #15 & a player for Pick 2 if we agree to front load?

Give GWS Pick 2 for Caldwell in a heavily compromised draft. We get back into the draft by trading players for picks, possibly getting us a couple of picks in rounds 2 & 3.
I like your thinking Ghost Like. There is certainly the potential for a favour from Adelaide for no great hardship for us. Dunstan is a South Australian who may be OK to going home. Not sure they would give up pick 2 but there may be other picks/players that could come into the mix.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 1:06pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 9:02am
ace wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 12:30am So Crouch Potato has nominated the saints.
We can buy him cheap with picks or front end load a contract that delivers Adelaide pick No2 for no picks.
Like Hawthorn delivering pick no 2 to Melbourne in return for James Frawley.
If we don't front load his contract and simply pay his value, the Crows receive Pick 19. If we do front load the contract, they get Pick 2. Could we then offer our pick, #15 & a player for Pick 2 if we agree to front load?

Give GWS Pick 2 for Caldwell in a heavily compromised draft. We get back into the draft by trading players for picks, possibly getting us a couple of picks in rounds 2 & 3.
I like your thinking Ghost Like. There is certainly the potential for a favour from Adelaide for no great hardship for us. Dunstan is a South Australian who may be OK to going home. Not sure they would give up pick 2 but there may be other picks/players that could come into the mix.
That's just it Gershwin, they will not have pick 2 but pick 19 if we don't heavily load the front end of Crouchs contract. I figure they can have a player (Dunstan) and pick 15'ish and we get pick 2.

That pick we may be able to split into two first rounders with one going to GWS for Caldwell.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

No offence Saynta, but maybe leave the "what modern footy players get up out at night" debate to those whose age is within half a century of them! ;)

Young, highly paid 'jocks' are the 'party drug' pusher's wet dream! Guaranteed many at every club are doing something at least occasionally, just as with the same demographic in the rest of society.

It's a lot easier for them to do that and maintain their fitness levels than drink a whole lot of piss. And something being legal/illegal isn't the definitive decider of whether it is good or bad for you.

A lot of footballers like to take the occasional nose beer / pinga, it's not the end of the world, we'll all look the other way and everyone's happy! :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
darylcowie
Club Player

Faulky63 wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 11:14am great news for the club though he misses the first 2 games of next year due to suspension.
I remember another significant signing with a history of drug use being suspended for two weeks prior to playing his first game for us.

He ended up missing the whole season!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
portosaint
Club Player

I like to think this frees Jack Steele up even more.

He was almost pigeon holed as an inside mid at the start, used as a stopper etc.... Now we've seen he has plenty of strings to his bow. He's become elite and Crouch gives him even more breathing room.

This could end up a really good get in more ways than one.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 3:01pm I like to think this frees Jack Steele up even more.

He was almost pigeon holed as an inside mid at the start, used as a stopper etc.... Now we've seen he has plenty of strings to his bow. He's become elite and Crouch gives him even more breathing room.

So, for inside mids we'll have a choice of Steele, Hannebery, Crouch, Jones, Ross, Dunstan. Interesting. That is plenty of competition for a spot as an inside midfielder ... not sure all of them can get a gig.

I presume Gresham and Hunter Clark are walk-up starts as more generalised midfield play-makers. Not sure we can afford to NOT have both in there to be honest.

Saints58
Club Player

Would love to get Crouch but Caldwell could be a 10 year player. I am a bit concerned about all the mature age recruits we need some quality younger guys its always come back to bite club that don't invest in youth as well as mature age.
I understand our Pick situation but we should trade Dustan he is from SA so that would work with the crouch deal and what ever else
Caldwell that is a bit harder but what about trading savage, hind, Sinclair to other clubs for picks then make the Caldwell deal.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 3:52pm
portosaint wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 3:01pm I like to think this frees Jack Steele up even more.

So, for inside mids we'll have a choice of Steele, Hannebery, Crouch, Jones, Ross, Dunstan. Interesting. That is plenty of competition for a spot as an inside midfielder ... not sure all of them can get a gig.

I presume Gresham and Hunter Clark are walk-up starts as more generalised midfield play-makers. Not sure we can afford to NOT have both in there to be honest.
With Crouch coming in - we now have more and a better balance of midfield talent - all different types. I've always wanted Gresh to be played as a permanent small forward who goes into the midfield for 5-10 mins a quarter as part of a rotation. On that basis - I'd expect him to push out Kent or Lonie.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Crouch is a great pick up and with other young mids developing under him and Hanners etc our future is bright.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 5:52pm

With Crouch coming in - we now have more and a better balance of midfield talent - all different types. I've always wanted Gresh to be played as a permanent small forward who goes into the midfield for 5-10 mins a quarter as part of a rotation. On that basis - I'd expect him to push out Kent or Lonie.
You are out of luck on Gresham, I fear. Ratts loves him as a midfielder and our results after he went down injured show his faith is justified. He and Clark are creative, rather than pure grunt, and you really need that.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 22 Oct 2020 8:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

ace
Saintsational Legend

A five year deal.
Takes him through to the end of 2025.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Vazelos
Club Player

Put Bytel in take out Dunstan as an inside Mid

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Why is the news guy so far away from Crouchie? It’s in QLD, isn’t it?

johnearljames
Club Player

Fantastic recruit.

Welcome Brad Crouch. We have a really strong midfield now. Steele and Crouch together is a lethal combo. Then chuck in Hannas, Gresh, Jones and Clark.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 10:00pm Fantastic recruit.

Welcome Brad Crouch. We have a really strong midfield now. Steele and Crouch together is a lethal combo. Then chuck in Hannas, Gresh, Jones and Clark.
Excellent, especially if we are smart enough to use his (de)value and secure a higher draft pick or another recruit.

Was he who you bookmarked as coming or can we expect further, unexpected riches jej?

johnearljames
Club Player

More.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Said to be significantly less than $700,000
So maybe $699,000

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 9:00pm

Forgot about him. He is a promising kid, but if we are entering the premiership window Dunstan offers more at the moment. Unless Bytel is a real quick developer.

Dunstan will most probably be traded, which is a shame (I think). He’s probably looking for more opportunity though and will get it elsewhere. Hope it doesn’t come back to bite us.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 3:28am
Vazelos wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 9:00pm

Forgot about him. He is a promising kid, but if we are entering the premiership window Dunstan offers more at the moment. Unless Bytel is a real quick developer.

Dunstan will most probably be traded, which is a shame (I think). He’s probably looking for more opportunity though and will get it elsewhere. Hope it doesn’t come back to bite us.
I think Bytel proved he wasn't a quick developer, let's hope the feeder comp is back up next year as he desperately needs game time at Sandy to learn the craft.

If Dunstan is still on the list then he will be putting on pressure for spots in the midfiled whereas Bytel won't be.

Top 4 teams are good two way running teams with deep midfileds. Jye is an unknown entity and could end up being a bust so in hindsigh I'm glad we didnt bring him in on a ridiculously long and expensive deal.

I hope Gags can land at least one more proven AFL ready midfilder so we are fully stocked for midfilders in 2021 and then hopefully players like Bytel are coming on by 2022-23.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Just how many players can we put in the midfield- looks like it's going to be very crowded at centre bounces :D

I prefer Gresh as a small forward. Hanners ability to get through a season without injury is a worry. Crouch and Steele are walk ups, so what happens to Ross and Dunstan, and using Clark as a possible mid? Sinclair might have to go forward and then we need to develop Bytel and Byrnes.

Too hard!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Saints58 wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 4:52pm Would love to get Crouch but Caldwell could be a 10 year player. I am a bit concerned about all the mature age recruits we need some quality younger guys its always come back to bite club that don't invest in youth as well as mature age.
I understand our Pick situation but we should trade Dustan he is from SA so that would work with the crouch deal and what ever else
Caldwell that is a bit harder but what about trading savage, hind, Sinclair to other clubs for picks then make the Caldwell deal.
"We need some quality younger guys"..... Do we?

Jack Steele
Jade Gresham
Rowan Marshall
Max King
Callum Wilkie
Hunter Clark
Nick Coffield
Dan Butler
Ben Paton
Dougal Howard
Josh Battle
Ben Long
Jack Bytel
Ryan Byrnes

all under 25.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

we actually need the

hardened , know your bit , execute your bit ,
no nonsense , run through that fella ,
protect your young , ramming speed as normal gait
AND the wisdom to stay team centric
across the full spectrum of win lose , umps ,
ferals with problems and the non magical thinking
of the supporter base

THEN

1 Premiership
... is not actually enough

there’s a lot for ‘our’ team to achieve
and stocking it full of kids
ain't the answer

having a stock of kids
keen to get in the side would help

timing timing timing
its all in the timing

good luck Saints

win 3 out of 5 ‘n i’ll finally get to shut the f*** up.

and ta in advance for that.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.