Latest DeGoey Rumour

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Re: Latest DeGoey Rumour

You may have comprehension issues or perhaps are not reading posts.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Club Player

I am with Templar on this one.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 1:30pm You may have comprehension issues or perhaps are not reading posts.
Not at all, you are arguing that Long has more upside than DeGoey.

Templar
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 2:17pm
Templar wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 1:30pm You may have comprehension issues or perhaps are not reading posts.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

My question is what are their respective monetary values. IMO it seems many think of De Goey as the messiah and are happy to pay overs. But what will his real value be and how much will he buy into the St Kilda Football Club if he comes in on Hill like dollars.

And how much will he bleed for the club. More like a Long or more like a Butler? More like a Riewoldt or more like a Hill?

Will he resort to his often cited lazy inconsistent ways if we are not playing BIG games, or will he be a leader and lift the team week after week to get us into big games?

Tell us all seeing one.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

DeGoey will only come for $$$$ and truckloads of it. It's his only motivation, should he leave Collingwood. Not a reason to bring a player in. Have we not learned our lesson?

Ajantis
Club Player

You talk about it like its your money... and if you reply with i am paid supporter - we all are
If he fits what st.kilda need then do whatever it takes.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 3:30pm DeGoey will only come for $$$$ and truckloads of it. It's his only motivation, should he leave Collingwood. Not a reason to bring a player in. Have we not learned our lesson?
Is it though?
People leave jobs for money all the time. Doesn't make them any less professional. And in AFL, you're only in the game for a short time, why not maximise your income?

Cam Smith just joined LIV for "$$$$ and truckloads of it". Is he going to be any less professional when he plays on that tour than he was winning The Open?

It's such an old-school way of thinking. Footy is a job to the modern day player. They don't play for the jumper any more. They will play for shared success with team mates.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 2:47pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 2:17pm
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

My question is what are their respective monetary values. IMO it seems many think of De Goey as the messiah and are happy to pay overs. But what will his real value be and how much will he buy into the St Kilda Football Club if he comes in on Hill like dollars.

And how much will he bleed for the club. More like a Long or more like a Butler? More like a Riewoldt or more like a Hill?

Will he resort to his often cited lazy inconsistent ways if we are not playing BIG games, or will he be a leader and lift the team week after week to get us into big games?

Tell us all seeing one.
You are still anchoring to moral values as your prime criteria, I bleed RW&B but I'm pretty sure DeGoey is a much better footballer than me.

Who cares about the dollars, Hill was an instant upgrade to our list despite him not performing to previous standards, says way more about how poor our list, and I am dead certain that DeGoey will be an upgrade to our midfield, that is unless Long can transform himself from a very average and inconsistent flanker to an A grade midfielder before R1 next season then I'm extremely certain you are comparing apples with goji berries.

And what is with all this BS about money, it's not your money...just think what will improve our list in a really quick time.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

We have to pay 95% of our salary cap.

Therefore the only question regarding De Goey (or anybody else for that matter) once we decide to go after him is,
'By giving him what we need to get him, does it impinge us going after others or keeping those we want to keep?'

It's actually immaterial what we paid/pay Hannebury/Hill unless it stopped us from getting someone else or keeping someone we wanted to keep but could not afford to keep.

We have to pay out the money.

The alternative is to pay overs to those already on our list and not go after any other players other than draftees.
If we don't pay it to new players then we have to pay it to existing players.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 4:51pm It's actually immaterial what we paid/pay Hannebury/Hill unless it stopped us from getting someone else or keeping someone we wanted to keep but could not afford to keep.
That and Crouch probably stopped us getting Treloar when he wanted to come to us. But I don't think we anticipated the Collingwood fire sale at the time.

Templar
Club Player

Moral values? Not my money? Long to midfield? Aside from these irrelevent points I am having trouble seeing De Goey coming to the Saints, knuckling down and transforming himself into a team orientated professional footballer. I think the best fit for him would be to stay at filth where he is still on his tenth pull your head in warning. Come to us and he will ease off. Saintsationalists and media etc will be calling him lazy in a short time and he wont give a stuff. That's just what I see.

Glad to be proven wrong.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Looks like he won't be coming anyway.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 5:00pm Moral values? Not my money? Long to midfield? Aside from these irrelevent points I am having trouble seeing De Goey coming to the Saints, knuckling down and transforming himself into a team orientated professional footballer. I think the best fit for him would be to stay at filth where he is still on his tenth pull your head in warning. Come to us and he will ease off. Saintsationalists and media etc will be calling him lazy in a short time and he wont give a stuff. That's just what I see.

Glad to be proven wrong.
Did you watch any footy over the weekend, he looked like a team orientated professional to most who did.

Templar
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 6:57pm
Templar wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 5:00pm Moral values? Not my money? Long to midfield? Aside from these irrelevent points I am having trouble seeing De Goey coming to the Saints, knuckling down and transforming himself into a team orientated professional footballer. I think the best fit for him would be to stay at filth where he is still on his tenth pull your head in warning. Come to us and he will ease off. Saintsationalists and media etc will be calling him lazy in a short time and he wont give a stuff. That's just what I see.

Glad to be proven wrong.
Did you watch any footy over the weekend, he looked like a team orientated professional to most who did.
Yeah I did. Their whole team is playing like that. That is why it is a good fit for him I reckon. Selfishness in that team stands out like dog's. Coach has them on song. Worried what de goey would be like in a, lets call it, less stable environment.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Glad to be proven wrong.
And therein lies the problem

If he stuffs up we are on a hiding to nothing .....the club will get a pounding in the Media

Even if he doesn't stuff up .... but ..... doesn't live up to he heady expectations of a high earning player the club is on a hiding to nothing and will get a pounding from the Media

On the chance that he does perform to or above expectations in line with his salary then great but that doesn't guarantee us Premiership glory and the Media will still likely have their pound of flesh for us staking too much on one player if we don't win the Cup

On the small chance of us winning the Premiership with JDG playing a significant role ..... well that would be like winning the lottery

JDG can be devastating player on his day (far and few between if you ask me) so I can understand both sides of the argument ...... yes he won't cost anything in terms of DPs but given his inconsistency and past off field indiscretions it could very well backfire spectacularly

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Ok, much ado about nothing.
Now: Milliken from Swans, Parfitt from Cats, a young GWS mid that Lenny will lure.
Onwards and upwards recruiters!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 8:58pm Ok, much ado about nothing.
Now: Milliken from Swans, Parfitt from Cats, a young GWS mid that Lenny will lure.
Source of those rumours?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep move on he ain’t coming
Ralph now saying Pies putting original offer back in table with caveats
He can see $$, playing in front of massive crowds and a flag in close proximity
…..we are offering truck load $ ….that’s it.,,
It’s a no brainer
I’d suggest he used us to keep negotiating pressure on Pies but never seriously looked at us…
How could you?
8/3 massive fall away back half season
Middle of road midfield
No transition gane plan that connects to forwards…
No double Daicos quality style kids coming through
Honestly ask yourself what would you do?

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 7:17pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 6:57pm

Glad to be proven wrong.
Yeah I did. Their whole team is playing like that. That is why it is a good fit for him I reckon. Selfishness in that team stands out like dog's. Coach has them on song. Worried what de goey would be like in a, lets call it, less stable environment.
All you need to worry about is if the recruiters and their ability to find players who can improve our list within 12 to 18 months becaue if they can't we will be needing a new coach sometime in 2024 to lead a complete rebuild.

DeGoey would have improved our list instantly beyond our wildest dreams but he's not going anywhere...so other than your man Longy, what can we do to improve our list?

Templar
Club Player

"beyond our wildest dreams" talk about desperation. Bullet. Dodged.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 10:38pm Yep move on he ain’t coming
Ralph now saying Pies putting original offer back in table with caveats
He can see $$, playing in front of massive crowds and a flag in close proximity
…..we are offering truck load $ ….that’s it.,,
It’s a no brainer
I’d suggest he used us to keep negotiating pressure on Pies but never seriously looked at us…
How could you?
8/3 massive fall away back half season
Middle of road midfield
No transition gane plan that connects to forwards…
No double Daicos quality style kids coming through
Honestly ask yourself what would you do?
I'd come to the Saints and take a pay cut.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 10:34pm
Source of those rumours?
Me. Highly unreliable.
Just trying to help recruiters.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 11:07pm
Source of those rumours?
Me. Highly unreliable.
So you're self-sourcing?

I'll see myself out

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 2:59am
Source of those rumours?
Me. Highly unreliable.
So you're self-sourcing?

I'll see myself out
[/quote
Does that count as self sourcing or will you rely on authoritative exit signs.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Source of those rumours?
Me. Highly unreliable.
Good work Yorkeys

How would you feel if Benny stayed and he got his mate over to the Saints?

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/ ... ?width=320