Official AFL trade week thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: Official AFL trade week thread

Thank god the silly season is done.
My take is we lost a fringe player and gained a cheap tall defender for insurance.
Taking out the players who wanted to “go home” and Grundy. This years trade period dished up a bunch of ordinary players and I’m glad we passed on them. The Clark situation is interesting as he never publicly said he wanted to go to north, which makes me think it was more that North had offered him a long contract that if we got what we thought was fair for him he wouldn’t be opposed to join them.
We need to hit the draft and I think we may look to move forward in the draft either on the night or before. If not a 1st rounder and 2 second rounders is a pretty good hand and hopefully for the second year we can nail it.
Overall I feel the doom and gloom on this site is a bit OTT but each to their own. Go Saints!!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

There were plenty of ordinary players changing clubs, and I'm glad we kept Hunter Clark.

Of the ordinary players, I would've been happy to pick up Acres and Weideman assuming the price was right.

Grundy would have been interesting, but 5 years at $1m, even with Collingwood paying $300k, humm...borderline decision for a player who's struggled with injury this year.

Richmond picked up 2 quality players, but I think it cost then 2 x 1st round picks and 2 x 2nd round picks....I'm not sure the Saints were ready for that investment.

Then that bloke who went to Geelong, Bowes, who I'm not really familiar with. How the Cats got a young player + pick 7 reeks of injustice and manipulation of the system.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Tired of the trantrum-chuckers on here pissing and moaning ad nauseam. No matter what this club does or doesn't do, it's the same old vitriol. I hope they all live alone because I would seriously pity anyone who lives with them.

We did a lot of trades in 2019 and 2020. That was roundly criticized because we didn't pick up enough draftees. Last year we went to the draft and that was roundly criticized because of our quiet trade period. This year we're going to the draft and it's being roundly criticized because of our quiet trade period. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The same old pattern.

List management is about getting a balance of trades and draft picks

So, let's see what the club did from 2018 to 2021

Draft

Wilkie
King
Bytel
Connolly
Byrnes
Highmore
Sharman
Wanganeen-Milera