big mac and the pelican...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: big mac and the pelican...

plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:What would you rather have, a ruckman that can tap the ball to one of our player's advantage or one that just wins the tap but just hits it onto the ground? Correlating it back to not winning games is pointless as the mid fielders or the forward lines may be crap.

And thats why i used the stats about teams makinjg the finals. I would think their midfields is ok. And Id rather have a ruckmen kick 3 goals or take 5 or so contested marks than either of the things you mentioned.
So you want a good half forward to play ruck instead of a ruckman?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:What would you rather have, a ruckman that can tap the ball to one of our player's advantage or one that just wins the tap but just hits it onto the ground? Correlating it back to not winning games is pointless as the mid fielders or the forward lines may be crap.

And thats why i used the stats about teams makinjg the finals. I would think their midfields is ok. And Id rather have a ruckmen kick 3 goals or take 5 or so contested marks than either of the things you mentioned.
So you want a good half forward to play ruck instead of a ruckman?

I dont think I said that. Obviously you have to contest the ruck otherwise the other side would get huge advantage. Why did people think Hickey played well on Saturday. Im guessing if people are telling the truth it was his 3 goals and possessions around the ground more than any hitouts he had.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I dont think I said that. Obviously you have to contest the ruck otherwise the other side would get huge advantage. Why did people think Hickey played well on Saturday. Im guessing if people are telling the truth it was his 3 goals and possessions around the ground more than any hitouts he had.

I think he did his role which was to minimise the dominance of Mumford and make Mummy accountable for him by using his speed advantage and punish them by kicking goals and make their dominance a weakness. It was a smart plan by our coaching staff (possibly Jolly) and extremely well executed. It was one of the best performances by a Saints ruck for a long time not just around the ground though. He gets off the ground and actually times the tap well. He probably more versatile around the ground though as he has a bit of pace and mobility. Mac was great as a backline chop out but he was more adequate in other areas.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Obs wrote:I still don't rate mcevoy, nor do I rate his game on Friday. Remember he was versing Carlisle and Daniher in the ruck for basically the last half. He should of absolutely smashed the last half of that game.

Let's be honest he wasn't a ruck that fit into our side being such a poor tap ruckman. Our midfield is fairly young and not having a ruck that can tap to advantage just amplifies it's weaknesses. Hawthorn on the other hand don't need it too much with such a quality midfield. I think the trade was such a win for both sides when we ended up with Dunstan and Longer anyway. I don't rate immobile ruckman and if you've been watching longer's matches he's an absolute star in the making.

Not even bringing up Hickeys domination against GWS.

Hickey as lost the tap outs in both games. he has had good games because of his around the ground work. Can we please forget about tap outs.
How do you know Hickey lost the hit outs?
Just because he had less doesn't mean he lost them, it could have been when Stanley was relieving, especially when Spencer rucked as a lone hand...

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:You have to stop somewhere...
How about 8?

You're talking about the number of teams that made the eight. The number of top six HOA teams to make the eight is an insufficient sample size for what you're trying to show - the correlation between winning and HOA. When it turns out that the reason you used that number was because 1/6 < 3/8, you've manipulated the data to misrepresent the correlation.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
plugger66 wrote:You have to stop somewhere...
How about 8?

You're talking about the number of teams that made the eight. The number of top six HOA teams to make the eight is an insufficient sample size for what you're trying to show - the correlation between winning and HOA. When it turns out that the reason you used that number was because 1/6 < 3/8, you've manipulated the data to misrepresent the correlation.

And even if I used 8 it shows there is no correlation. When stats are used the people using then do exactly what I did. 3 out of the top 8 made the finals which means 5 out of the bottom 10 made the finals. Again it proves that the HTA mean jack when making finals or winning games. Nextt time I will just of the 18 sides in HTA only 8 made the finals.