McCartin - The biggest recruiting disaster of all time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin - The biggest recruiting disaster of all time

Legendary wrote:Josh Kennedy (Carlton/WCE) kicked just 11 goals from his first 22 games (played over his first 2 seasons), and averaged 3 marks per game. This was playing in a bottom side.

His next season (3rd) yielded just 7 goals from 7 games.

It wasn't until his 4th season that he kicked 31 goals from 16 games and became a regular member of the WCE 22.

Last season playing in a top 4 team, Kennedy kicked 80 goals and won the Coleman medal.

Yet every single member of the AFL community thought that Kennedy was an absolute spud when he was traded to the Eagles.
I like perspective.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
Legendary wrote:Josh Kennedy (Carlton/WCE) kicked just 11 goals from his first 22 games (played over his first 2 seasons), and averaged 3 marks per game. This was playing in a bottom side.

His next season (3rd) yielded just 7 goals from 7 games.

It wasn't until his 4th season that he kicked 31 goals from 16 games and became a regular member of the WCE 22.

Last season playing in a top 4 team, Kennedy kicked 80 goals and won the Coleman medal.

Yet every single member of the AFL community thought that Kennedy was an absolute spud when he was traded to the Eagles.
I like perspective.
Probably a fair comparison I think. Kennedy is pretty much a traditional leading FF in a similar mould to Paddy.Kennedy should be aiming for 500 odd career goals. I think that is also probably the kind of thing Paddy should be aiming for. That's around the mark. Forget the plugger comparisons (1360 career goals).

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

The author of the OP on this thread has been issued a warning under the more serious Troll Rule based on what was decided to be a deliberate post to inflame the community. The penalties under the troll rule escalate on multiple offences. Subsequent abuse and name calling of the poster in this thread which was also reported have not received warnings but their posts have been edited to remove rule breaches.

Having said that - post the initial outpouring of emotion there have been some excellent posts in this thread.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that McCartin will be a good afl player

With a chance to be better than good

A recruiting disaster is Caydn Beetham

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I can say with a fair amount of certainty that McCartin will be a good afl player

Or Frost....or Windbanks...or Howard

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I don't like this thread.

I think it was created for reasons that really go against what this forum is all about.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's over OTT

evo
Club Player

The OP seems like an anti-plugger66. Posts then runs, incessant player bagging, club does nothing right etc. #attentionseeker

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Plugger66 gets banned and CityWest is still allowed to post his drivel. Go figure.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

FINALLY the mods can see he's a troll.

It's only taken 3 years

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Unless his form is so bad that he can't get a single kick, or he completely loses confidence or is injured, then I think Paddy should play every game this year.

He will benefit more from getting an understanding between him and Bruce, and watching Roo close up in games, than he will from running around in the magoos.

the dome
Club Player

Mc C a r t i n l o o k s a F o o t b a l l e r 1st

Paddy strikes me as a 'natural' footballer first, just the way he moves. Building core strength, endurance etc. etc. apparently can be a bit of a journey for young Full Forwards as some have pointed out above. By all accounts Paddy brings a mature and professional focus to his training & preparedness. As this accumulates and Paddy gets more top flite game time under his belt he should continue to find plenty more ways into the game. Right now i'm just hopeful that he remains uninjured and keeps presenting for selection week in week out.
One step @ a time. If he can chalk up lets say consecutive games in the double figures i think he will benefit greatly. As a team we are still searching for the best gelling combination of players while @ the same time finding opportunities for a large group of younguns to have a dip (eg) Gresham.
8 Quarters in.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Love the post above.

Strikes me as a natural footballer too and these are exactly the types we should be targeting

You can't teach that. You can't create talent. Players have it or they don't

Tank endurance etc can be built

#1 Ryder fan
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Plugger66 gets banned and CityWest is still allowed to post his drivel. Go figure.
Not hard to work out mate. Citywest may post drivel but he doesn't pm a mod and threaten him and his family.Repeatedly.

It was good riddance afaic.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I can say with a fair amount of certainty that McCartin will be a good afl player

Beetham did have ability though. Just lacked motivation and heart.

he also thought he was too good for the Saints and didn't want to be part of the team.

Paddy has all three by the bucket load. The kid will be a star.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
matrix wrote:You

Are a complete trolling peanut
And a bit of a knob it seems as well
I am being brutally honest which will probably get me banned. Can you please tell me what tricks McCartin possesses? And what elite qualities you envisage he will have when he reaches 100 games?
And right now over at Bigfooty Melbourne supporters are bagging Hogan. He is not elite yet, but he will be a great mark, have an ability to split packs, and should be an elite goalkicker if he works hard enough on his disposal. I point to the game against Melbourne at the G last year as evidence of this embryonic talent. Give him time to develop.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Wombat15
Club Player

The kids 19! takes a forward at least 3 seasons to show what theyve got and 4-5 to even start making their presence felt, give the kid 50-100 games. hes a power forward who needs the ball kicked to his advantage and then let him go to work. From the game play ive seen of him hes a powerful mover and needs better service. so far in the comp we are the worst side at entering the 50. the kids played a total of 7 games and hes already been classified as a bust by some. Bruce looked rubbish until he was pushed forward same goes for Billy Longer, Tom Hickey and other talls not just in our side but around the league. big guys take time and the fact he can take strong marks and downright bully VFL and U/18 competition tells me the kids got fight in him. just needs time to develop and luckily hes in the perfect side to do that.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Why hasn't this disgraceful and largely ignorant thread been taken down yet?

Sorry to be controversial, but persons with a view that we wasted our No.1 pick on Paddy (after he's only played 8 games at the age of 19) and having watched him play, know sweet bugger all about the game.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote:
citywest wrote:
matrix wrote:You

Are a complete trolling peanut
And a bit of a knob it seems as well
I am being brutally honest which will probably get me banned. Can you please tell me what tricks McCartin possesses? And what elite qualities you envisage he will have when he reaches 100 games?
And right now over at Bigfooty Melbourne supporters are bagging Hogan. He is not elite yet, but he will be a great mark, have an ability to split packs, and should be an elite goalkicker if he works hard enough on his disposal. I point to the game against Melbourne at the G last year as evidence of this embryonic talent. Give him time to develop.
Dickheads! He is a gun and they're going to lose him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:The kids 19! takes a forward at least 3 seasons to show what theyve got and 4-5 to even start making their presence felt, give the kid 50-100 games. hes a power forward who needs the ball kicked to his advantage and then let him go to work. From the game play ive seen of him hes a powerful mover and needs better service. so far in the comp we are the worst side at entering the 50. the kids played a total of 7 games and hes already been classified as a bust by some. Bruce looked rubbish until he was pushed forward same goes for Billy Longer, Tom Hickey and other talls not just in our side but around the league. big guys take time and the fact he can take strong marks and downright bully VFL and U/18 competition tells me the kids got fight in him. just needs time to develop and luckily hes in the perfect side to do that.

Well said.

The_President
Club Player

One thing I've noticed when watching Paddy at the games is that he tends to point to where he wants the ball kicked, and leads there if it looks like they are kicking it there. unlike Roo who leads to space and demands the ball be kicked to him.

That will change with time & fitness.

Paddy is a natural forward.
As I posted in another thread, I think the interchange cap saves him.
He is your natural, old school, lead up forward.
In time he'll be virtually unstoppable one on one because he is such a big unit and has such good hands.

Remember the end of Gehrig's career, once everyone wanted forward pressure, he was pushed out, because he simply couldn't chase or tackle - especially with his hands.
But years before that, he was the dominate forward in the comp, because the ball was moved fast and he got people on the lead.

With the way the game is going (and hopefully continues to go) Paddy will be another G-Train, if not better.
Two colemans, I'll take that

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The P-Train?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Pointing to the spot is how you communicate where you want the ball kicked...

It's so you can run one direction and change direction and the ball carrier knows you are going to 'double lead'

Nick does it better than anyone

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Check out Paddy's pack grab. Young fella in his 8th game. Yep he's a total spud. Citywest, not noticing you celebrating the win.....

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2016/3/stk-v-coll#

Griggsy
SS Life Member

^ amazing the comparison of the number of posters here after a win and loss