I'm famous. I went to school with...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm famous. I went to school with...

saints66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Not an urban legend, WS. I remember seeing a mug shot of the young Franco at Russell Street in 1982. Young Italian stallion with a jet black, Elvis like quiff. Photo taken after he was charged with importing uncle dougs in furniture and handling stolen goods. Into stolen cars as well, I was told. And not just in Norta Melbum and Footascray.
I think you will find that Franco was never involved with drugs or in trouble with the law. Many thought he was because he stopped advertising at one stage and people though he had gone to jail. One of his sons, Lou, went to jail in 1995 and has recently been in court for threatening his father over a $400 claim.
Well how do you explain his mug shot and docket, which is the old criminal record? Prior going back to the sixties. Saw it with my own eyes. What evidence do you have? Give me a spell. Are you his mate or something? Care to place a wager?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
minneapolis
Club Player

So it seems like we are all a little famous.....Ha!

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
minneapolis
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
saints66 wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:Loris, did Hal Todd work in TV? I am not old enough to have seen him, but I know the name, I think he introduced movies on Channel 0
Did a lot of radio work and compare stuff. I remember him from his Night Owl Theatre. Used to start about 11 pm and he would show a movie and it would finish at any old time in the wee hours of the morning. Every 30 minutes he would stop the movie and advertise, chat etc for an hour. Leon the Watch King at Golden Casket Jewellers, Frank Cotso and more would fill in the morning hours. He also introduced Deadly Earnest to the screen. A spooky, scary man that originally would create fear untold at 2 in the morning. Was always the consummate performer and never a loss for words. I dont think I saw too many movies to the end and in those days with the Saints a winning powerful team there was little time for watching TV on a Saturday night.
Cheers for the info :D
I am actually old enough to remember Deadly Earnest, and I recall his job was presenting horror/ghost movies. On school nights...Tuesday night, if I remember? I used to get in trouble for staying up past bedtime. Or maybe it was weekends, it was such a long long time ago in the late 60's or early 70's.
I had no idea Franco Cozzo was that far back "Northa Melbourne, and Footiscray, and now in Brunsawick " Franco got in trouble for importing couches/lounge suites with a little bit extra hidden in the legs...or is that just a nasty urban legend? :mrgreen: :shock:
Deadly never worked school nights. I believe he was on Friday night after he got his own gig on Channel 10? May have been Sat. Was huge for a year or so. All the kids at school would curl up their disfigured hand, crook their head and in a cruel voice would say his signature line................oh crap I can't remember it.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saints66
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
saints66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Not an urban legend, WS. I remember seeing a mug shot of the young Franco at Russell Street in 1982. Young Italian stallion with a jet black, Elvis like quiff. Photo taken after he was charged with importing uncle dougs in furniture and handling stolen goods. Into stolen cars as well, I was told. And not just in Norta Melbum and Footascray.
I think you will find that Franco was never involved with drugs or in trouble with the law. Many thought he was because he stopped advertising at one stage and people though he had gone to jail. One of his sons, Lou, went to jail in 1995 and has recently been in court for threatening his father over a $400 claim.
Well how do you explain his mug shot and docket, which is the old criminal record? Prior going back to the sixties. Saw it with my own eyes. What evidence do you have? Give me a spell. Are you his mate or something? Care to place a wager?

You are the one making the claim that he imported drugs into Australia and was handling stolen goods, so dont ask me for evidence that he did not. It is up to you to back up your claim with evidence. How about this! You contact him and tell him about your claim and ask him to comment. The charges against his son were eventually dropped. BTW I dont know either of them and have no connection to the family.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
saints66 wrote:

You are the one making the claim that he imported drugs into Australia and was handling stolen goods, so dont ask me for evidence that he did not. It is up to you to back up your claim with evidence. How about this! You contact him and tell him about your claim and ask him to comment. The charges against his son were eventually dropped. BTW I dont know either of them and have no connection to the family.
I've heard the same as WW wrt drug importation. Certainly a dodgy family.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saints66
Club Player

BTW hearsay is not a defence to a defamation action neither is seeing an alleged mug shot at Russell Street unless maybe you are a policeman who dealt with the case. If you are was he found guilty and if so what sentence did he receive.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:BTW hearsay is not a defence to a defamation action neither is seeing an alleged mug shot at Russell Street unless maybe you are a policeman who dealt with the case. If you are was he found guilty and if so what sentence did he receive.
Not just a mugshot, but his official criminal record at the Information Bureau Records section. Btw the truth is a defence to defamation, but why don't you call him and ask him, rather than going off half cocked about something you clearly know nothing about? Let him take defamation action. I doubt he would because, unlike you, he knows the truth. I repeat, not just a "mug shot", but his actual official criminal record, or docket as it was then known. Is that clear enough for you? Stick to commenting on things you know about rather than throwing around your opinion rather than fact. The irony is you're willing to imply I am a liar, while defending a man convicted of some very serious crimes, whom you know nothing about. What colour is the sun in your world?

saints66
Club Player

so what were the serious charges and what was the sentence.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I've already told you. Pay attention. Go back to my first post about it. Traffick and possess drug of dependence, handling stolen goods and theft of motor cars. Can't remember the sentences. It was 33 years ago. If you're so into him, why not give him a call and ask him? You seem a tad obsessed. Feel free to tell him that in your eyes I've defamed him. The truth is a defence to such proceedings in this country. I take it you're not a lawyer either.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Not school, but Simon Beasley lives next door, Neil Balme and I think Gillon McLachlan's parents live over the road (well they're old and he's there a bit... absolute mansion).

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Not school, but Simon Beasley lives next door, Neil Balme and I think Gillon McLachlan's parents live over the road (well they're old and he's there a bit... absolute mansion).
So you live in Dallas?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:BTW hearsay is not a defence to a defamation action neither is seeing an alleged mug shot at Russell Street unless maybe you are a policeman who dealt with the case. If you are was he found guilty and if so what sentence did he receive.
Truth is though. A defense that is.

markp
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
markp wrote:Not school, but Simon Beasley lives next door, Neil Balme and I think Gillon McLachlan's parents live over the road (well they're old and he's there a bit... absolute mansion).
So you live in Dallas?
No, Sunshine.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saints66 wrote:
Apparantly the son took the rap for Franco.

saints66
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:I've already told you. Pay attention. Go back to my first post about it. Traffick and possess drug of dependence, handling stolen goods and theft of motor cars. Can't remember the sentences. It was 33 years ago. If you're so into him, why not give him a call and ask him? You seem a tad obsessed. Feel free to tell him that in your eyes I've defamed him. The truth is a defence to such proceedings in this country. I take it you're not a lawyer either.
sorry boss I will pay more attention next time

PS: I thought it might have been for selling crap furniture

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I've already told you. Pay attention. Go back to my first post about it. Traffick and possess drug of dependence, handling stolen goods and theft of motor cars. Can't remember the sentences. It was 33 years ago. If you're so into him, why not give him a call and ask him? You seem a tad obsessed. Feel free to tell him that in your eyes I've defamed him. The truth is a defence to such proceedings in this country. I take it you're not a lawyer either.

The furniture he sold constituted a crime against good taste. :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
saints66 wrote:

The furniture he sold constituted a crime against good taste. :D
We had a name for it. :wink:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

At least the uncle dougs inside made up for your poor choice in taste!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

At least the uncle dougs inside made up for your poor choice in taste!

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Well, after reading most of these posts I don't think too many Saintsationalists will have there pictures taken with famous athletes, scientists, doctors or academics.

Low life scum in an identity parade, though, could be highly likely! :D

Saint supporter since '62
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Franco's picture was taken after he was formally charged, as is the correct procedure. Subsequently convicted. Paul "Angry" Anderson was another whose record drew a lot if attention back in the day, mainly for his full head of black hair, cut in a classic bowl/spanner style. Short, dweeby and the butt of many jokes. Some things never change,

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:
Pwoit wrote:I grew up next door to Paul Salmon, also school with Gary O'donnell. Played cricket with Dean Bailey(RIP) and cricket against Peter Banfield.
Pwoit,

I suppose you looked up to Paul then.

A lot :)

docsainter

Did year 11 and 12 with Bevo and played school footy with him. Also played some Melbourne junior development games with him, he kicked 9 as a rover, I think I had 3 stats.
Played against Greens Leader Senator De Natale in Uni social footy games ( I was the year below him at med school). He was playing midfield in VFA ones at the time. Despite what he looks like he was bloody hard at the footy, smashed everyone around the packs