Richo review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Craw
Club Player

Re: Richo review

So Geary had to wait until he could write something in a sealed envelope at the end of the season for Richo to read in private to be able say anything.

Piss poor actually and definitely not captain material.

Whether his views are right or wrong, he should have the aggots to speak up on behalf of the players he apparently represents.

I definitely wouldn't want him to be my leader if that is what he is made of.

No wonder St Kilda fell apart last year when Roo retired.

Not Craw, CRAW!
takeaway
Club Player

The Craw wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 9:30am So Geary had to wait until he could write something in a sealed envelope at the end of the season for Richo to read in private to be able say anything.

Whether his views are right or wrong, he should have the aggots to speak up on behalf of the players he apparently represents.

I think you are misreading the situation. Going by the media report, I'd assume bringing the sealed envelope containing feedback on performance from players/staff was a requirement of the course Richo attended in the US. All the other participants in the course brought a similar sealed envelope. So you think Geary had no communication/feedback to players/coaches during the year until the end of the season? Unbelievable.

takeaway
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 11:12pm Like it or not he is there for the start of the season. It will all depend on how the new look strategy works out . I'm not brimming with confidence but I am willing let it play out before I give an informed opinion one way or the other . It will all depend on what we see as improvement, if we move 2 spots up the ladder is that a positive or if we miss the 8 is that a negative I don't know. I'm sure we will find out pretty soon we might be pleasantly surprised or maybe I told you so .ATM I will sit on the fence & hope the club knows what it's doing. Watch this space
Exactly. As the great Allan Jeans nearly said - As coaches, we are like sausages, the fans fry us, grill us, bake us, braise us, but in the end we are all just cooked. Richo is not cooked yet, in fact has had some sauces added which may extend his cooking time. At least until round 6, or end 2019 ..........or 2025.

The Craw
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 10:02am
The Craw wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 9:30am So Geary had to wait until he could write something in a sealed envelope at the end of the season for Richo to read in private to be able say anything.

I think you are misreading the situation. Going by the media report, I'd assume bringing the sealed envelope containing feedback on performance from players/staff was a requirement of the course Richo attended in the US. All the other participants in the course brought a similar sealed envelope. So you think Geary had no communication/feedback to players/coaches during the year until the end of the season? Unbelievable.

"Most of the feedback was consistent with the post-season reviews. Then he arrived at the second last player, skipper Jarryn Geary.

“It was a bit like a punch in the face,” Richardson said. “He was quite strong, really blunt.”

While others were less direct, Geary, and not unlike how he plays, was unrelenting and almost abrasive.

“He told me, coach, you focus too much on what we can’t do as opposed to what we can do,” Richardson said.

“Even though I had review and feedback from the players, it makes it more confronting when someone puts pen to paper and particularly the feedback that came from the captain. This part of your coaching, the focus on what going’s wrong and what we’re not doing, was a little bit relentless. It disappointed me."

Yes unbelievable.

Not Craw, CRAW!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 2:48pm
Crossy66 wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 2:37pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 12:44pm Richardson is not a natural leader, it's not in his DNA.
He is obviously a very poor communicator and doing a leadership course after having already been a senior coach for five years is a sad inditement on those who appointed him to begin with.
He is not an inspiring leader and this is clearly evidenced by the performances in 2018.
The playing group were not playing with any system or any confidence.

I expect much improvement in 2019 as the list is not as bad as 2018 suggests.
I think any improvement will be less than optimal with Richardson still there.
Appoint a new senior coach like Lenny Hayes for example and you'd have even better results.
Lenny Hayes is a true leader, it's in his DNA and with quality assistants around him would really get the players buzzing and up and about.

Richardson is not a natural leader and he never will be.
Potentially it might cost more keeping him as opposed to terminating his contract early.
The one thing in keeping Richardson that does improve is our 2019 draft position.
At least we can thank Richardson for helping the club to secure Max King.
Is this just your opinion?
This is my opinion and in my opinion anyone with a clue would share this opinion!
I don't.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think jack steven made similar comments at his end of year meeting with the coaching staff.

Crossy66
Club Player

The Craw wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 10:40am

"Most of the feedback was consistent with the post-season reviews. Then he arrived at the second last player, skipper Jarryn Geary.

“It was a bit like a punch in the face,” Richardson said. “He was quite strong, really blunt.”

While others were less direct, Geary, and not unlike how he plays, was unrelenting and almost abrasive.

“He told me, coach, you focus too much on what we can’t do as opposed to what we can do,” Richardson said.

“Even though I had review and feedback from the players, it makes it more confronting when someone puts pen to paper and particularly the feedback that came from the captain. This part of your coaching, the focus on what going’s wrong and what we’re not doing, was a little bit relentless. It disappointed me."

Yes unbelievable.
These leadership programs are common at a senior level in the corporate world and the ones i am familiar with involve 360 feedback from a range of stakeholders including those you lead. A Selection of players would have been asked some very specific questions and very personal questions that wouldnt usually form part of an end of season review. They are by nature intended to be brutal. pretty sure the same group will be asked for follow up feedback during the season to see how things are progressing.
I am sure Geary and the coaches and other senior players would have discussed issues during the year..
I know people that do this twice a year and not because they are poor leaders, on the contrary, they are great and want to keep developing and get even better. Its a positive not a negative thing!

takeaway
Club Player

The Craw wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 10:40am

Yes unbelievable.
So there was the post season reviews, which are the most important and often the most confronting because the season has been fully completed, with the group, and also each individual player, then the separate sealed written feedback, and nothing else? Was Geary mute after each game, during the bye, during meetings with the leadership/coaching group? Not even a teeny bit? I find that hard to believe. The media report was based on the sealed feedback only, which was in addition to the normal reviews, and as mentioned, was in writing.

The Craw
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 11:18am So there was the post season reviews, which are the most important and often the most confronting because the season has been fully completed, with the group, and also each individual player, then the separate sealed written feedback, and nothing else? Was Geary mute after each game, during the bye, during meetings with the leadership/coaching group? Not even a teeny bit? I find that hard to believe. The media report was based on the sealed feedback only, which was in addition to the normal reviews, and as mentioned, was in writing.
I have not coached elite AFL, but have coached and have been around local team environments both junior and senior. I can categorically say that the feedback from the captain / leadership group and some players during the season was at times both confronting and refreshing.

Anything that Geary wrote post season / for the exercise of a leadership program should not have come as such a “ Punch to the Face” to Richardson after the fact.

If Geary was a good captain and communicator anything he wrote would have been expected.

It should have been around the other way where players who would not necessarily be so forthright and not leaders voiced such a brutal assessment.

No wonder the team was so s*** last season …. Pissweak leadership on the ground and also off the ground.

If it had have been Roo, there would have been no surprises in that manilla folder.

Not Craw, CRAW!
takeaway
Club Player

The Craw wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 12:10pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 11:18am So there was the post season reviews, which are the most important and often the most confronting because the season has been fully completed, with the group, and also each individual player, then the separate sealed written feedback, and nothing else? Was Geary mute after each game, during the bye, during meetings with the leadership/coaching group? Not even a teeny bit? I find that hard to believe. The media report was based on the sealed feedback only, which was in addition to the normal reviews, and as mentioned, was in writing.
I have not coached elite AFL, but have coached and have been around local team environments both junior and senior. I can categorically say that the feedback from the captain / leadership group and some players during the season was at times both confronting and refreshing.

Anything that Geary wrote post season / for the exercise of a leadership program should not have come as such a “ Punch to the Face” to Richardson after the fact.

If Geary was a good captain and communicator anything he wrote would have been expected.

It should have been around the other way where players who would not necessarily be so forthright and not leaders voiced such a brutal assessment.

No wonder the team was so s*** last season …. Pissweak leadership on the ground and also off the ground.

If it had have been Roo, there would have been no surprises in that manilla folder.
“Even though I had review and feedback from the players, it makes it more confronting when someone puts pen to paper"

There you have it, the power of the pen compared to face to face/verbal. Perhaps it should be done every year.

Crossy66
Club Player

The Craw wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 12:10pm

Like i said a few posts back, they would have been asked specific questions and most likely very personal. Its also difficult to interpret what Richo meant by 'punch in the face" I think it was reported that a number of senior players made their views brutally clear at eos meetings.
I think you are right that we have below par on field leadership, pretty sure Lethlean said this. Its not that there is a problem with Geary, there simply is enough people in the team leading.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 4:23pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 19 Feb 2019 12:44pm Richardson is not a natural leader, it's not in his DNA.
He is obviously a very poor communicator and doing a leadership course after having already been a senior coach for five years is a sad inditement on those who appointed him to begin with.
He is not an inspiring leader and this is clearly evidenced by the performances in 2018.

Appoint a new senior coach like Lenny Hayes for example and you'd have even better results.
Lenny Hayes is a true leader, it's in his DNA and with quality assistants around him would really get the players buzzing and up and about.

Potentially it might cost more keeping him as opposed to terminating his contract early.
The one thing in keeping Richardson that does improve is our 2019 draft position.
This is my opinion and in my opinion anyone with a clue would share this opinion!
Out of curiosity, what do you base your opinion on?
After five years Richardson has a win/loss ratio of 33%
This is the worst record of any coach in the history of the AFL ( correct me if I'm wrong )
It was obvious he had lost the players last year and they played with no confidence.
I have no doubt this also impacted on the goal kicking woes.
CATCH 22
People would write Richardson can't be blamed for poor conversion!
I disagree as everything is a sum of it's parts and the lack of confidence also translated into poor goal kicking.
A lack of mental confidence drained performance capabilities.
Who is responsible for this?
Exit interviews and Geary's letter affirm this point.

Richardson's body language, his lack of communication skills, his tone, his demeanour, his vocabulary all reflect a man who is out of his depth as a leader of men.
360 weekly he would trot out the most inane garbage, cliche after cliche in a mumbling bumbling mundane tone that would make Gomer Pyle sound like Nicola Tesla by comparison.
I thought how must the players feel having to listen to this for five years.
It might help someone who suffers from insomnia, but it's not going to inspire footballers to play to their optimal levels of quality performance.
Four wins for the year should have seen a lot more experimentation taking place but Richardson was stuck in his own mental quicksand and seemingly incapable of doing anything differently.
Team selection was abysmal with some players selected every week regardless when they clearly were not deserving of their place in the team.

A few seasons ago I remember watching Montagna run down the clock by about five seconds late in a game against Brisbane before kicking a goal from the goal square.
The camera's panned to the coaches box and Richardson was agitated by Montagna's decision to delay kicking the goal. It was clearly obvious what Montagna was doing and it was footy smart to do so.
It revealed a lack of understanding and misreading of the situation.
A small incident but nonetheless a clear example of his inability to think outside the square.

I expect improvement in 2019, but any improvement will be less than optimal with Richardson still involved in the messaging.
33% after five years is evidence enough!
The club needs an inspiring leader like Lenny Hayes who I believe would make an excellent choice as senior coach with quality assistants like Ratten around him.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Crossy66
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 1:01pm

This is the worst record of any coach in the history of the AFL ( correct me if I'm wrong )
It was obvious he had lost the players last year and they played with no confidence.
CATCH 22
I disagree as everything is a sum of it's parts and the lack of confidence also translated into poor goal kicking.

Richardson's body language, his lack of communication skills, his tone, his demeanour, his vocabulary all reflect a man who is out of his depth as a leader of men.
360 weekly he would trot out the most inane garbage, cliche after cliche in a mumbling bumbling mundane tone that would make Gomer Pyle sound like Nicola Tesla by comparison.
It might help someone who suffers from insomnia, but it's not going to inspire footballers to play to their optimal levels of quality performance.
Four wins for the year should have seen a lot more experimentation taking place but Richardson was stuck in his own mental quicksand and seemingly incapable of doing anything differently.
Team selection was abysmal with some players selected every week regardless when they clearly were not deserving of their place in the team.

A few seasons ago I remember watching Montagna run down the clock by about five seconds late in a game against Brisbane before kicking a goal from the goal square.
The camera's panned to the coaches box and Richardson was agitated by Montagna's decision to delay kicking the goal. It was clearly obvious what Montagna was doing and it was footy smart to do so.
A small incident but nonetheless a clear example of his inability to think outside the square.

I expect improvement in 2019, but any improvement will be less than optimal with Richardson still involved in the messaging.
The club needs an inspiring leader like Lenny Hayes who I believe would make an excellent choice as senior coach with quality assistants like Ratten around him.
I admire your love for Lenny, after all..."everyone loves Lenny"
But what evidence do you have that he has all the other attributes required to be a senior coach?

As an example, Voss was as inspiring a leader as anyone on field and as a captain, but it didnt translate to the coaching role

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 1:18pm

CATCH 22

But what evidence do you have that he has all the other attributes required to be a senior coach?
What evidence do you have that Richardson has any attributes required to be a senior coach?

Lenny Hayes is a natural leader and has already shown his interest in coaching given his role working with the GWS midfield.
In my opinion Lenny Hayes would be an excellent senior coach with quality assistants around him.
I honestly think our list is not that bad and nowhere near as bad as last season's performances.
Our midfield needs bolstering and given Hayes has been at the GWS it might even help to attract Kelly for 2020.
The man is inspirational and it is my opinion he would be a total asset, unlike Richardson who I believe to be a total liability.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Crossy66
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 2:59pm

CATCH 22

What evidence do you have that Richardson has any attributes required to be a senior coach?

Lenny Hayes is a natural leader and has already shown his interest in coaching given his role working with the GWS midfield.
In my opinion Lenny Hayes would be an excellent senior coach with quality assistants around him.
I honestly think our list is not that bad and nowhere near as bad as last season's performances.
Our midfield needs bolstering and given Hayes has been at the GWS it might even help to attract Kelly for 2020.
The man is inspirational and it is my opinion he would be a total asset, unlike Richardson who I believe to be a total liability.
FWIW,
I agree with you that i also get the impression that Lenny would make a good coach and that our list isnt that bad, but from where you and i sit, we actually have no idea, its just an unfounded opinion. If Richo was to get moved on, I think we should look to an experienced campaigner with a proven or known track record.
Whats roosy up to these days :D

spert
Saintsational Legend

To quote my wife(football hater) who watched a couple of games out of sympathy with me last season : "the St Kilda players don't look interested" and "why do they do stupid things with the football- the other team don't". If Richo goes, then I nominate her for coach. :lol:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 3:09pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Wed 20 Feb 2019 2:59pm

CATCH 22

FWIW,
I agree with you that i also get the impression that Lenny would make a good coach and that our list isnt that bad, but from where you and i sit, we actually have no idea, its just an unfounded opinion. If Richo was to get moved on, I think we should look to an experienced campaigner with a proven or known track record.
Whats roosy up to these days :D
Oh plenty of evidence. A team full of high draft picks and theyve done so well. How many of their midfielders have left recently. Im sure Lenny has heaps of experience with elite midfields but unfortunately not much success. I too love Lenny, dont get me wrong but Im not even sure he would apply.