Hannebery broken foot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Hannebery broken foot

SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 11:34am
takeaway wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 9:11am
BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 7:59am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 7:15am Christ, what an overreach.

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

I think sometimes people just like being outraged. The net gain of the past 2 years has been enormous for the club.

Hannebury is absolutely part of that forward trajectory.
I agree. Added to that, the pick traded in as part of the Hannebury deal ended up gaining us Bytel & Parker.
So you still can’t tell me what the secret informal deal was.
Sorry, missed your earlier request. Not really secret, are you aware of any other club that genuinely expressed interest in Jones? At the least North was interested in Howard, Carlton for Butler, plenty for Hill if the deal fell over, but who for Jones other than Saints? Not a star, but good player that would attract quite a few clubs. That's because he was always coming to the Saints, and it was pretty well known. Jones has been angling for a return to Melb for a couple of years, and it could not be facilitated last year, also Sydney was still in the finals window then. Subject to a suitable draft pick, and no change in desire to get to Melb from Jones, a tacit agreement was made with Swans as part of the Hannebury deal (salary dump, etc) to get Jones to Saints. Done and dusted.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 11:36am
skeptic wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 10:22am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 9:51am

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

I think sometimes people just like being outraged. The net gain of the past 2 years has been enormous for the club.

Are the outraged the ones that mention 800k in their every comment about Dan Hannebery. It's like they've forked out his salary from their own pockets.
Not that I want to weigh in further but the club does get my membership money
I think this is a relevant point. Members are also supposed to have a say in how the club is run.
How so?

It's not a democracy.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 11:30pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 20 Oct 2019 6:51am
Shaggy wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 10:07pm
guitars4 wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 9:47pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 8:03pm And we let players go because we were tight in the salary cap.

$800k over 4 or 5 years or whatever the number is to a guy who we recruited and is perpetually injured.

Why is our salary cap tight?
Yeah Joff I have been saying the same thing since his recruitment but the Ted's , Taker's & Saynta 's of the world have all supported his cause no matter what he does or how many games he plays.To say he is a great pick up because he can have a positive affect on the playing group by just being there is IMO is a felicity everyone knows he's a party boy ( just ask the Swans )& there is nothing wrong with that but if your the bloke setting the example for our future playing group I would be concerned. IMO only
Dan was in our best in 4 out of 5 matches he played last year despite all the time he has had out of footy.

3 time AA.

You are obviously disappointed. Maybe you think our list of 2018 did not need change. As good as Jack Steven has been for us Dan has been better footballer over their career and Dan is 2 years younger. Dan effectively cost us an early 30's pick. I have no doubt Dan has make us sexier to join this year.
My specific recruitment issues surround 2 players.
Hannebery & Ryder due to age and diminished athletic ability.

The comments around the 2018 list not needing change, Jack Steven etc are all yours.
That is fair sort of.

Dan is 4 times in best out of 5 games for the Saints. If you want to add the final for swans he has been in best 5 of 6 last games despite big absences. Compare that to Stuv, Lonie & Carlisle when they came back from long absences. Saintsational turned against them because they expect players to simply pick up to be the players they were.

Dan may break down again but I still love the risk. IMO Dan proved how good he was in 2019. No-one knows if he will or will not break down. But at roughly pick 33 he has already enticed alot of talent to the club IMO.

Dan is very different to Ryder and Kent. I do not expect them to be in our best.
Fair comments.

Time will tell Shaggy, looks like we’ve got another 3-4 years to see if it pans out positively.

Hannebery was a gun AFL player, if he could get back to 90% of his best that would be a great outcome for us.

It is very rare for an aging player with a series of soft tissue injuries to turn it around, we’ll see.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 7:00am I don't think it really matters, does it?

I always felt that the Hannebury recruitment was more symbolic than anything else.

We needed experience and class yes, but more than anything we needed someone to actually accept an offer!!! We needed to start rejuvenating the list.

Having him on our list cost nothing really in terms of the draft pick was swapped.

His contract would almost certainly be back ended, so even if he was on the reported 800k (which I doubt and the club denies) that wouldn't have squeezed anyone out anyway.

If he actually plays, it's a bonus.

These things always need to be looked at holistically.

Our list is far better than it was 2 years ago, in part due to Hannebury being on it.

Apparently Jones was always part of the deal too. So with Hannebury's recruitment included, we can say we've added 6 best 22 players over the past 2 seasons.

Overall, it's part of an excellent period for the club off-field.
Some interesting points there Barry.

Symbolic recruitment, getting someone to accept an offer, build it and they will come.
That assumption has merit.

Doubt Hannebery contract would be heavily back ended (but I have no clue) and think given Lethleans comments on tight salary cap I think it actually does influence retention.

Although I’m no fan of recruiting Kent, Ryder & Hannebery there is no doubt we’re all a little more excited about 2020 given the bold list management decisions.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 11:36am

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

Are the outraged the ones that mention 800k in their every comment about Dan Hannebery. It's like they've forked out his salary from their own pockets.
I think this is a relevant point. Members are also supposed to have a say in how the club is run.
just curious, when was the last time you voted on how the club is run?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Accidents happen. It's poor timing but it could be a lot worse. How many weeks will he actually miss of preseason. Two to three weeks. Worse case scenario is that he doesn't play until round three
Or four. And that's worse case. He will be back with the main group mid December and maybe he trains over the Xmas break rather than have time off to make up some of the time.

I'd say it will have little impact and maybe rather than being involved in pre season games he trains more instead. I'd say get as much run in his legs as he can and if he misses the early games so be it.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Its all part of the plan!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 10:42am

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

Do you get the package with full outrage entitlements? :P
I brought my own from home

guitars4
Club Player

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

You sound a lot like Ted

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 11:50am

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

I agree. Added to that, the pick traded in as part of the Hannebury deal ended up gaining us Bytel & Parker.
Sorry, missed your earlier request. Not really secret, are you aware of any other club that genuinely expressed interest in Jones? At the least North was interested in Howard, Carlton for Butler, plenty for Hill if the deal fell over, but who for Jones other than Saints? Not a star, but good player that would attract quite a few clubs. That's because he was always coming to the Saints, and it was pretty well known. Jones has been angling for a return to Melb for a couple of years, and it could not be facilitated last year, also Sydney was still in the finals window then. Subject to a suitable draft pick, and no change in desire to get to Melb from Jones, a tacit agreement was made with Swans as part of the Hannebury deal (salary dump, etc) to get Jones to Saints. Done and dusted.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler ... d30016a0fa

takeaway
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 3:30pm
takeaway wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 11:50am

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler ... d30016a0fa
Hardly genuine interest. Couldn't even meet his demands. More like the media searching for another club, finding it hard to believe there were no other suitors. Of course other teams would have jumped at the chance when it was getting late in the trade period, the Saints didn't have the required pick, and there was a chance of it falling over. All done as agreed though.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 2:39pm

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

You sound a lot like Ted
Ted is dead

guitars4
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 5:56pm

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

You sound a lot like Ted
Ted is dead
I think he might have just been resurrected from the dead. You might have to change your name to Jesus :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 5:56pm

Give me a break!!!
So what has it cost us?

You sound a lot like Ted
Ted is dead
Anyone who bans you secret keil is a bum!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.