Billings and King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings and King

Teflon wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 10:00pm Didn’t the Cats also come off a short break?
Don’t forget it was rainy a bit windy the ground was slippery the team had the flu and ran over a black cat on the way to the ground...
I mean the loss was just all bad luck yeah??
Gold!
Extra day break but they had rested quite a few the game before

But hey keep targeting that game to prove your ridiculous suggestion that we should trade Billings

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 10:41pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 10:00pm Didn’t the Cats also come off a short break?
Don’t forget it was rainy a bit windy the ground was slippery the team had the flu and ran over a black cat on the way to the ground...
Gold!

But hey keep targeting that game to prove your ridiculous suggestion that we should trade Billings
Shall do
And you keep providing meaningless stats to convince all us non believers he is somehow elite and about to reach his prime after a meagre 7 years!!!! :mrgreen:

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 10:49pm
Gold!

Shall do
And you keep providing meaningless stats to convince all us non believers he is somehow elite and about to reach his prime after a meagre 7 years!!!! :mrgreen:
So disposals, disposal efficiency and goals kicked are meaningless stats now :lol:

If stats are so meaningless why does the league even record them?

Why do coaches rely on them and even go as far as stating them?

Seriously the hole you are digging is getting deeper by the minute ...... shovel away buddy :lol:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Teflon wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 9:58pm [
So tick - our midfield is complete Sun???
No need for any additional talent through there cause current stats tell us that’s good enough yeah???
Funny stuff!
No I might not have been very clear
We are two game changing elite on ballers short
While our stats for clearances look good they don't paint a clear picture
because Norths clearances stats are equally as good but they are on the bottom of the ladder

Seeya
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Gee, Teflon's up for the fight! Somebody must have mentioned Grant Thomas!!! :twisted:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 2:01pm Gee, Teflon's up for the fight! Somebody must have mentioned Grant Thomas!!! :twisted:
:D :wink:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'm struggling with this trade Billings thing. I think it's a nonsense and has snowballed following some people's hate for him. He's not Josh Kelly or Boyd but he was ranked 3 in his draft year, I do not recall anyone ranking the Bont or Cripps ahead of him. Billings cannot be blamed for that.

We recruited Hill for his pace & class on the outside, to compliment Billings on the other wing. Why do people wish to remove what should be & will be a strength?

We need another couple of quality centre clearance players to take advantage of Hill & Billings. To trade Billings is to trade backwards.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Forget comparisons with Kelly & Bont.
The comparison that needs to be made is Brad Hill Vs Billings, and both this year and over their careers Billings is significantly ahead. Now unless we find a drunk spendthrift with a warped sense of humour we are not going to get for Billings what we paid for Hill!
Is buying high and selling low some new trading strategy?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 11:18pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 10:49pm
Gold!

Shall do
So disposals, disposal efficiency and goals kicked are meaningless stats now :lol:

If stats are so meaningless why does the league even record them?

Why do coaches rely on them and even go as far as stating them?

Seriously the hole you are digging is getting deeper by the minute ...... shovel away buddy :lol:
Yes but according to you Billings has better disposal stats tha Dusty so must be a better player......right... :lol:
I think I know who has the shovel.....but carry on .....yawn :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 1:11am
Teflon wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 9:58pm [
So tick - our midfield is complete Sun???
No need for any additional talent through there cause current stats tell us that’s good enough yeah???
Funny stuff!
No I might not have been very clear
We are two game changing elite on ballers short
While our stats for clearances look good they don't paint a clear picture
because Norths clearances stats are equally as good but they are on the bottom of the ladder
Sorry my bad yep I totally agree 2 elite mids and we would be up to our necks in it in a season or two
I also completely agree on stats they aren’t telling the true story in comparison to us taking the next step against top sides

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 5:43pm I'm struggling with this trade Billings thing. I think it's a nonsense and has snowballed following some people's hate for him. He's not Josh Kelly or Boyd but he was ranked 3 in his draft year, I do not recall anyone ranking the Bont or Cripps ahead of him. Billings cannot be blamed for that.

We recruited Hill for his pace & class on the outside, to compliment Billings on the other wing. Why do people wish to remove what should be & will be a strength?

We need another couple of quality centre clearance players to take advantage of Hill & Billings. To trade Billings is to trade backwards.
Look it’s a reasonable position but it comes down to your view on if we think we could get something decent in return and if we feel we could cover his wing/HFF position
I absolutely think we can do both and throw in Carlisle if someone wants steak knives
I am over hyping up inconsistent Saints players - I don’t hate Billings that’s just dumb ( I don’t know the guy?)
He’s been around 7 years , no his draft position is not his fault but he has not lived up to elite status he was going to have. He is not elite and won’t.
A very good player but if I could get me a Dal, Goddar, Hayes, Montagna mid in exchange I’d do it in a heartbeat
We have the nucleus of a real good side we have to be bold and go for top shelf.....we do not have an elite on baller that’s a worry against really good sides.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 6:14pm Forget comparisons with Kelly & Bont.
The comparison that needs to be made is Brad Hill Vs Billings, and both this year and over their careers Billings is significantly ahead. Now unless we find a drunk spendthrift with a warped sense of humour we are not going to get for Billings what we paid for Hill!
Don’t agree
Brad Hill gives us run, yes he’s not produced his best, but he’s a different player to Billings
Billings is not that run and carry break the lines player we got Hill for so nup not a good comparison

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 2:03pm
freely wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 2:01pm Gee, Teflon's up for the fight! Somebody must have mentioned Grant Thomas!!! :twisted:
:D :wink:
Was always a fan of the back of Grant but I always admitted after Blight fiasco we needed Grant......he just stayed too long and became Chairman Grant over the club that some of his assistants personally told me was ruining our club
I listen to those who have been at the coal face not the romanticised view of “Grant and his little flock over for midweek BBQs to become rounded young men...”
Cult like ....frightening
Anyhoo that’s a lifetime ago now in Ratts I trust......I just hope he doesn’t allow them to keep kicking it on top of MaxKings head....

“Yeah….nah””
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:05pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 6:14pm Forget comparisons with Kelly & Bont.
Don’t agree
Brad Hill gives us run, yes he’s not produced his best, but he’s a different player to Billings
Billings is not that run and carry break the lines player we got Hill for so nup not a good comparison
Not sure what you don't agree with?
Billings 120games 28 Brownlow votes Hill 160games 15 votes. Maybe umpires don't value running outside either!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:32pm
Don’t agree
Billings 120games 28 Brownlow votes Hill 160games 15 votes. Maybe umpires don't value running outside either!
I’m not sure what that has to do with comparisons
But ok

“Yeah….nah””
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:37pm
Don’t agree
But ok
What I said was you couldn't sell Billings for LESS than you paid for Hill, and that nobody would pay for him what we paid for the other bloke! If not for the length of Hannebery's contract Hill's cost in trades and salary would be the idiocy of the century even with 80 years to go! Getting rid of close to our best player would only compound those blunders.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:45pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:37pm
Don’t agree
But ok
What I said was you couldn't sell Billings for LESS than you paid for Hill, and that nobody would pay for him what we paid for the other bloke! If not for the length of Hannebery's contract Hill's cost in trades and salary would be the idiocy of the century even with 80 years to go! Getting rid of close to our best player would only compound those blunders.
??
Sorry but sides pay on need - we did exactly that
You’re ignoring the market is different the player is different and therefore demand will be different
It’s not as simple as we paid X for Hill last year so we can’t get Y for Billings ?.
Sorry doesn’t compute

“Yeah….nah””
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough, but in my opinion we have been sold not one but 2 lemons in successive years.
You don't rate Billings and I do, remember for a long time Dal wasn't rated by many either!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:54pm Fair enough, but in my opinion we have been sold not one but 2 lemons in successive years.
You don't rate Billings and I do, remember for a long time Dal wasn't rated by many either!
I always rated Dal always he’s up there with Hayes as one of my favourite players
He was always matrix like day 1 just like so many like hunter Clarke Dal ooozed class
Jack is a good player he’s just not an elite mid and I think we need 2 to challenge to be frank

“Yeah….nah””
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 10:02pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:54pm Fair enough, but in my opinion we have been sold not one but 2 lemons in successive years.
I always rated Dal always he’s up there with Hayes as one of my favourite players
He was always matrix like day 1 just like so many like hunter Clarke Dal ooozed class
Jack is a good player he’s just not an elite mid and I think we need 2 to challenge to be frank
Agree totally with that, but whilst we nailed the moneyball picks the big ticket items may have set us back a fair way.
Hopefully one of younger brigade will jump up out of nowhere a la Marshall and help somewhat!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 8:54pm Yes but according to you Billings has better disposal stats tha Dusty so must be a better player......right... :lol:
You are only one here comparing Billings to Martin :lol:

As far as I am concerned they play different roles within their respective teams - both are intrinsic to their team success however their value can be measured in different ways

But hey carry on by twisting other forumites posts to suit your agenda :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 10:09pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 8:54pm Yes but according to you Billings has better disposal stats tha Dusty so must be a better player......right... :lol:
You are only one here comparing Billings to Martin :lol:

As far as I am concerned they play different roles within their respective teams - both are intrinsic to their team success however their value can be measured in different ways

But hey carry on by twisting other forumites posts to suit your agenda :wink:
Oh I see
First Billings is a modern mid like Dusty is a mid now they play different roles
Now they are intrinsic to their teams success ( I think Dusty is I don’t think Jack can be called St Kildas barometer...)
And their value is measured now in different ways....I agree one is a Brownlow medallist the others a highly rated draft pick who has never consistently over 7 seasons lived up to the hype
Carry on

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 10:08pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 10:02pm
Agree totally with that, but whilst we nailed the moneyball picks the big ticket items may have set us back a fair way.
Hopefully one of younger brigade will jump up out of nowhere a la Marshall and help somewhat!
That’s be the dream
Still reckon we are going to need to bring talent in and unfortunately Hannebery has been a bust deal thus far

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 10:35pm
Oh I see
First Billings is a modern mid like Dusty is a mid now they play different roles
Now they are intrinsic to their teams success ( I think Dusty is I don’t think Jack can be called St Kildas barometer...)
And their value is measured now in different ways....I agree one is a Brownlow medallist the others a highly rated draft pick who has never consistently over 7 seasons lived up to the hype
Carry on
Is pretty clear what I wrote previously but again you lie and twist to deceive

Again I never have compared Billings to Dusty ....... you have!!

Modern mids are now categorised as either being inside contested, outside running or a combination of both - the traditional Centre, Ruck Rover & rover positions are hardly ever referenced at all anymore

And yes Billings form is intrinsic to our relative success .....the fact that you have bitched for the last week about him not playing well against the Lions and it having a bearing on us losing makes your moan even now more baffling.

and for the record I am not sure anyone has hyped up Billings as potentially being a multiple Brownlow winner ...... maybe you did early on and now feel let down cause he has only polled double Brownlow digits in 2 seasons.

All teams have outside goal kicking mids - Billings is one of the better ones in the league and if you don't understand the value of this type of player then I am not sure you understand modern footy.

Lastly I agree with you that we need 2 more mids ....... but not at the expense of losing Billings - these mids might come from internally - Clark, Bytel, Coffield or from outside likely through FA or by trading for young upcoming mid like Caldwell or Collier-Dawkins ..... many others on this site agree!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:02pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 5:43pm I'm struggling with this trade Billings thing. I think it's a nonsense and has snowballed following some people's hate for him. He's not Josh Kelly or Boyd but he was ranked 3 in his draft year, I do not recall anyone ranking the Bont or Cripps ahead of him. Billings cannot be blamed for that.

Look it’s a reasonable position but it comes down to your view on if we think we could get something decent in return and if we feel we could cover his wing/HFF position
I absolutely think we can do both and throw in Carlisle if someone wants steak knives
I am over hyping up inconsistent Saints players - I don’t hate Billings that’s just dumb ( I don’t know the guy?)
He’s been around 7 years , no his draft position is not his fault but he has not lived up to elite status he was going to have. He is not elite and won’t.
A very good player but if I could get me a Dal, Goddar, Hayes, Montagna mid in exchange I’d do it in a heartbeat
We have the nucleus of a real good side we have to be bold and go for top shelf.....we do not have an elite on baller that’s a worry against really good sides.
No doubt we could get something decent, but decent to what purpose as in, we fill a hole but create a hole in dimension to one Hill just filled. I'd love a Kelly, a Bont, a Cripps but I want to see a player of that stature working with Hill & Billings...that is the true value of that type of mid when complimented by those two. Sinclair, Lonie, Hind, Kent, Parker, Savage, McKenzie, Phillips, Langlands won't cut it as replacements for Billings. We must do this through Free Agency. Giving one to get one gets us no where.

I'm not sure anyone is over hyping him, I know I'm not but I appreciate him and know he's a vital cog for a Premiership team.

Apologies, I know you don't hate him. That's reserved for those who call him an $800K Oxygen Thief, I'm pretty sure that's not love & certainly something they would not say to his face but sounds good on a forum.