The Caldwell conundrum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Caldwell conundrum

There seems to be a lot of negativity being directed towards young Caldwell on this forum, but perhaps he was never coming to us in the first place.

The media reports about the possibility of him coming to our club were rather guarded. And I have always given little credence to anonymous posters on SS or BF who claim to have inside knowledge about upcoming trade deals.

Perhaps Caldwell's management was using the time-honoured technique of playing up a slight interest we might have had in the guy as a means of upping his price at the Bombers. If so, it worked, as it would appear that Essendon has offered a very generous contract to a young and inexperienced player who has been struggling to make the first 22 at a team that missed the finals.

We have some idea of what Crouch's best form looks like: as we did with Butler, Jones, Howard, Hill and Ryder. I reckon Ratten and his team back their ability to get the best out of a guy like Crouch in 2021, which wold help the club to make a serious tilt at reaching the GF, and perhaps doing better than that.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

He’s played 11 games in 2 years and he has managed to get an offer for a long term deal on good coin. More money and longer term than what we are offering we read.
On exposed form, we don’t know if he will be a gun or just making up the numbers.
Good luck to him, 90% of second year players in the comp would have done the same thing I reckon - and who knows when we go back to a COVID-19 free world with a normal AFL season. Easy decision really on his behalf. I bear him no grudge .

Going to be interesting to see how we manage salaries for King, Coff, Clarke, Paton and anyone else who has a break out year over the next year or 2. Can’t pay them all big bucks and Caldwell could have set an awkward precedent.

Going to be more fun watching Dodoro play this one out.
Would not surprise me at all if there is a late change of mind and we see Caldwell decide to stay at GWS or perhaps go to another club.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 8:10pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 6:21pm He's dead to me.
This is ridiculous but I also can’t help but feel this way
The only Jye I recognise is Richardson.

Good luck young Jye Caldwell, I do wish you well especially after you come to the Saints after realising what a stupid decision you made. At least you're not alone or as well paid. See you in a few years champ.

happy feet
Club Player

To me it seems that if Caldwell has decided to go to Essendope, then it shows me that he is not the person we want at the Saints. If he has considered the disgusting behaviour, constant cheating and drug disgrace and still thinks this is a desirable club, then let him go to them.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 7:08pm I wonder if Sheedy being back at Essendon has any impact on recruitment.
He was such an influence at GWS and though before Caldwells time his presence at Essendon at least sells hope.
I doubt that Joffa, if he's a student of history he'll realise Sheedys day is done as an Oracle of the AFL, so the fact he's back at Essendon should smack of desperation. Great for sponsors, headlines and the stupid but means nothing to footballers that know the club as it is now.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not since Freeman and Tommy Walsh have so many words been written about a bloke who has achieved so little on the footy field!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 6:07pm I think we can now all safely say that the club a player supported as a kid has no bearing what so ever on where that player decides to go.
Lukas Webb from Footscray- whole family Saints fans.
The fact that he can't get a game shouldn't trouble us too much :oops: :twisted:

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Happy to keep the cash for Bing next year and take pick 15 to the draft.
Any thoughts about who we might get?

Nee!
johnearljames
Club Player

Didn't get him. Move on.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Who the F*** is Jye Caldwell anyway ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

whiskers3614 wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 10:51pm Not since Freeman and Tommy Walsh have so many words been written about a bloke who has achieved so little on the footy field!
Throw in Spencer White.

Shaggy
Club Player

If I was Caldwell I would do the same.

Essendon need him and are backing him to be a leader.

At the Saints he will merely be given a go.

i think he is a huge loss but hopefully Bytel is the real deal also.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Jye's manager, I suspect, made the decision in real terms and will have to live with it - but not as much as Jye. Only know in 5 years if the extra cash was worth the pain of being an Essendon player - that club is in disarray. Interesting exercise for an economics/human behaviour PHD: is the after tax cash worth the pressure, lack of enjoyment and other rewards and opportunities that come from being with a Club like the Saints is developing into. If he had come to us he would have had excellent facilities, coaches and mentors. More to think about than just gross money figure, eh Dylan? Also its reassuring that the Club did not go silly with its salary cap constraints. Jye's CV isn't at the Rowell level and unlike Essendon we have very promising young players and a good list.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 9:30am Jye's manager, I suspect, made the decision in real terms and will have to live with it - but not as much as Jye. Only know in 5 years if the extra cash was worth the pain of being an Essendon player - that club is in disarray. Interesting exercise for an economics/human behaviour PHD: is the after tax cash worth the pressure, lack of enjoyment and other rewards and opportunities that come from being with a Club like the Saints is developing into. If he had come to us he would have had excellent facilities, coaches and mentors. More to think about than just gross money figure, eh Dylan? Also its reassuring that the Club did not go silly with its salary cap constraints. Jye's CV isn't at the Rowell level and unlike Essendon we have very promising young players and a good list.
Disappointed to lose Caldwell. Also very easy to bag the Dopers as a rabble. Which they appear to be at present. Long may that continue. On the back of the doping scandal a more perfect fit than Worsfold couldn’t have been found. And look how he’s left them. Schadenfreude ..............

The wheel will turn though and in a few years they may be contenders when Caldwell is coming into his prime. Impossible to know at this point. Also impossible to know if he’ll actually be a player worthy of a long term high dollar contract.
It’s all just speculation.
Like others I’m also glad we didn’t up our offer like salivating dogs.

Am very curious to know what other trade irons are in the fire. Jaxons or any other ITK throw us a bone will ya?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 1:41pm Brian Speaking reckons that Caldwell is going to Essendon but subsequent posts indicate he is sitting on the fence and that Gubby is still trying and doesn't give up easily.

We have Bytel who we need to get serious game time into. I think they are similar types too so I am not too fussed about this.
We need to sign Bytel ASAP and Paton.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 10:05am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 1:41pm Brian Speaking reckons that Caldwell is going to Essendon but subsequent posts indicate he is sitting on the fence and that Gubby is still trying and doesn't give up easily.

We have Bytel who we need to get serious game time into. I think they are similar types too so I am not too fussed about this.
There's been a couple of people suggesting they have both agreed to new deals, just not announced yet.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 9:51pm He’s played 11 games in 2 years and he has managed to get an offer for a long term deal on good coin. More money and longer term than what we are offering we read.
On exposed form, we don’t know if he will be a gun or just making up the numbers.
Good luck to him, 90% of second year players in the comp would have done the same thing I reckon - and who knows when we go back to a COVID-19 free world with a normal AFL season. Easy decision really on his behalf. I bear him no grudge .

Going to be interesting to see how we manage salaries for King, Coff, Clarke, Paton and anyone else who has a break out year over the next year or 2. Can’t pay them all big bucks and Caldwell could have set an awkward precedent.

Would not surprise me at all if there is a late change of mind and we see Caldwell decide to stay at GWS or perhaps go to another club.
The drug cheats, read dildo, are only prepared to offer a future second round pick for Jye.. Tell 'em, f*** 'em GWS.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 10:13am
saynta wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 10:05am

There's been a couple of people suggesting they have both agreed to new deals, just not announced yet.
f****** hope so.

damienc
Club Player

Jye's reported contract with the injectors.

$3.8 million over five years. That is $550,000 a season.

That is obscene kind of money for a kid who's played a total of 11 AFL games and never got more than 16 disposals in any one of those games.

No conundrum from me.

I like Jye, but if that is what we had to match to get him, I'm glad we didn't.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 2:12pm Jye's reported contract with the injectors.

That is obscene kind of money for a kid who's played a total of 11 AFL games and never got more than 16 disposals in any one of those games.

No conundrum from me.

If my maths is correct that’s 760 a season?

damienc
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 2:14pm
damienc wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 2:12pm Jye's reported contract with the injectors.

No conundrum from me.

Can't add up to save myself. Thank you for the correction and apologies for my dumb mistake. Make that $2.7 million over 5 years. Sentiment remains. An obscene amount of money for an unproven kid.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yeah... that’s the harsh reality isn’t it?

They ultimately make an offer way too good to refuse.

Ultimately it’s one of those live or die by the decision moments

I really like the kid but don’t feel I’d be ready to commit that amount

ace
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 2:16pm
Mr Magic wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 2:14pm

No conundrum from me.

Can't add up to save myself. Thank you for the correction and apologies for my dumb mistake. Make that $2.7 million over 5 years. Sentiment remains. An obscene amount of money for an unproven kid.
We are reported to be offering Crouch significantly less the $3.5 million over 5 years.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Lennylegs
Club Player

History says that multi year million dollar contracts for unproven young talent never really ends well. Be interesting to see if Jye can handle the pressure. Lot of focus on him now, much like Tom Boyd.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 10:29am
Zed wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 9:51pm He’s played 11 games in 2 years and he has managed to get an offer for a long term deal on good coin. More money and longer term than what we are offering we read.

The drug cheats, read dildo, are only prepared to offer a future second round pick for Jye.. Tell 'em, f*** 'em GWS.
They offer the kid a long term deal on squillions and they throw that up as an offer.

It's just taking the piss isn't it?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.