The Review .

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Review .

Teflon wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 9:06pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:13pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:06pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 10:51am Teflon can talk drivel better than anyone.

Do you actually watch games of football or understand the make up of each team? They have some decent players in that Essendon squad.

The bombers beat the Swans in round 16, and the Lions in round 17. They should have beaten Collingwood in round 19 but the Pies stormed home to win by 4 points.

Essendon played good footy against top 4 teams who were building momentum late in the year. You don’t beat the team playing off in the grand final and beat other teams who go on to play in preliminary finals if you don’t have the talent on your list

As far as our team is concerned, we were a game or two off playing finals. We missed mainly due to injuries to key players. Ryder, Clark, Gresham, Steele, and McKenzie were out for large chunks of games and even Dougal Howard was injured late in the year. We just didn’t have the talent to replace these guys. Simples!!

We had games against Freo and against the Brisbane Lions which were both at home and in both games Ratts prepared our teams well. We had momentum which we lost due to poor kicking for goal and poor skills. You should watch the Freo match from round 17. It was amatch where we dominated possession in the first half and they dominated in the last half

You’re the one who keeps banging on about missed opportunities by players. We should have been 5-6 up by half time against Freo. Our skills in this game showed why we are a middle tier team. We dominated contested footy, uncontested footy, inside 50’s, clearances and tackle numbers and yet we went into the long break with only a 1 goal advantage.

I remember in the game day thread for this Freo match at Marvel you were criticising Ratten for not countering the influence of Fyfe in the second half. Fyfe had been absent up until he did a few nice things in the latter part of the third quarter. By that stage the horse had bolted. Freo were already 3 goals up and had taken away our advantage. They had the momentum and created a five goal lead going into the last break.

Our skills and set shots at goal also let us down in the match against Brisbane. We need to recruit more elite young talent. We need to ensure that we develop and improve the existing talent on the list. Changing the coaches is not the solution to improving the list. Simples!!
And what do ex-coaches Rutten and Ratten now have in common, beside similar surnames and under performing squads.
That's easy

A: they were both white anted and plotted against for over 12 months

B: their boards and football directors have been incompetent for a considerable while and nothing indicates that will change anytime soon

I know what you were thinking :mrgreen: 8-)

You might also have an answer that is correct and I'm sure if someone else is creative enough there might be another answer we both haven't thought of

**** me
NO thanks, not in a million f****** years. :roll: :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 8:38pm
saynta wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 10:22am
Teflon wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 10:12am
Scollop wrote: Fri 18 Nov 2022 8:45pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022 5:29pm But on the subject of the review ... I'm encouraged (and a little gobsmacked) that Bassatt seems to have listened to the fans.

Maybe he even ventures into the dark bowels of Sainstsational?

In any case, switching the focus back to footy, bringing in a tough-love coach and injecting some Saints heroes into the coaching mix are all things a lot of us have been begging for. I reckon congratulations are in order.
Footy is what occurs on the field. This was more like a political coup to overthrow the incumbents.

I reckon you're spot on about Bassat listening to the fans. We all know who these 'fans'' are.

They're not the bogans or the general supporter base.

They are fans who wield influence. I hope they exert as much pressure on Lyon as they did on Ratten

They're a select group who believe they know better than everyone else working full time at the club that they have all the solutions

We were bombarded by these powerful fans from mid year onwards this year once we started losing a few games. They openly talked about changing the coach, even after he was resigned in June.

We'd heard those same fans with their radical views from late 2021 and they don't easily give in.

Instead of the focus being about the players and forensically reviewing our football, the club has embarrassed itself by totally stripping back everything that was built on in the last 3 years

Our recruitment and talent acquisition is going to be the key to St Kilda playing finals again

I have watched countless games in the last 3 months and the theme in most of our losses was that we weren't far off.

We were inefficient going inside 50 (we got it in enough but couldn't convert); we kicked poorly in general play and with our set shots; we lacked a key tall down back at times; we lacked a classy mid at times and we generally had poor skills.

The team didn't lack determination or commitment or motivation

The decision to sack Ratts was wrong.
This is probably the worst drivel I’ve read on here in..at least a week (I did read a Saynta post last week that has to be no 1)

We weren’t that far off????

Bottom four last half year key stats/indicators losing games easily to lowly Bombers …
Not far off ????
You make up rubbish
You obviously don't read your own posts most of which are fawning, sick making attempts at hero worshiping.
There’s a difference between hero worship and being stupid and not seeing what the club has done is in the best interest of the club
I appreciate some are too stupid to get the nuance
But try not fall into your usual, stubborn, daft thinking for one moment abd get with the program
I’ll look for your positivity when we start to win
I expect the negativity if we lose a few cause that’s ure type
Lazy, short sighted, negative
As usual you miss the point. Unlike you, I never critise the coach or any saints official for that matter.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 20 Nov 2022 9:52am
Teflon wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 8:38pm
saynta wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 10:22am
Teflon wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 10:12am
Scollop wrote: Fri 18 Nov 2022 8:45pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022 5:29pm But on the subject of the review ... I'm encouraged (and a little gobsmacked) that Bassatt seems to have listened to the fans.

Maybe he even ventures into the dark bowels of Sainstsational?

In any case, switching the focus back to footy, bringing in a tough-love coach and injecting some Saints heroes into the coaching mix are all things a lot of us have been begging for. I reckon congratulations are in order.
Footy is what occurs on the field. This was more like a political coup to overthrow the incumbents.

I reckon you're spot on about Bassat listening to the fans. We all know who these 'fans'' are.

They're not the bogans or the general supporter base.

They are fans who wield influence. I hope they exert as much pressure on Lyon as they did on Ratten

They're a select group who believe they know better than everyone else working full time at the club that they have all the solutions

We were bombarded by these powerful fans from mid year onwards this year once we started losing a few games. They openly talked about changing the coach, even after he was resigned in June.

We'd heard those same fans with their radical views from late 2021 and they don't easily give in.

Instead of the focus being about the players and forensically reviewing our football, the club has embarrassed itself by totally stripping back everything that was built on in the last 3 years

Our recruitment and talent acquisition is going to be the key to St Kilda playing finals again

I have watched countless games in the last 3 months and the theme in most of our losses was that we weren't far off.

We were inefficient going inside 50 (we got it in enough but couldn't convert); we kicked poorly in general play and with our set shots; we lacked a key tall down back at times; we lacked a classy mid at times and we generally had poor skills.

The team didn't lack determination or commitment or motivation

The decision to sack Ratts was wrong.
This is probably the worst drivel I’ve read on here in..at least a week (I did read a Saynta post last week that has to be no 1)

We weren’t that far off????

Bottom four last half year key stats/indicators losing games easily to lowly Bombers …
Not far off ????
You make up rubbish
You obviously don't read your own posts most of which are fawning, sick making attempts at hero worshiping.
There’s a difference between hero worship and being stupid and not seeing what the club has done is in the best interest of the club
I appreciate some are too stupid to get the nuance
But try not fall into your usual, stubborn, daft thinking for one moment abd get with the program
I’ll look for your positivity when we start to win
I expect the negativity if we lose a few cause that’s ure type
Lazy, short sighted, negative
As usual you miss the point. Unlike you, I never critise the coach or any saints official for that matter.
No you just sit on the fence and sneak out after (hoping quietly) it all goes t!ts up so you can tell us all
“I told you so”
Just another hindsight hero
Step up, grow a spine and back the club in!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 20 Nov 2022 9:48am
Teflon wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 9:06pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:13pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:06pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 10:51am Teflon can talk drivel better than anyone.

Do you actually watch games of football or understand the make up of each team? They have some decent players in that Essendon squad.

The bombers beat the Swans in round 16, and the Lions in round 17. They should have beaten Collingwood in round 19 but the Pies stormed home to win by 4 points.

Essendon played good footy against top 4 teams who were building momentum late in the year. You don’t beat the team playing off in the grand final and beat other teams who go on to play in preliminary finals if you don’t have the talent on your list

As far as our team is concerned, we were a game or two off playing finals. We missed mainly due to injuries to key players. Ryder, Clark, Gresham, Steele, and McKenzie were out for large chunks of games and even Dougal Howard was injured late in the year. We just didn’t have the talent to replace these guys. Simples!!

We had games against Freo and against the Brisbane Lions which were both at home and in both games Ratts prepared our teams well. We had momentum which we lost due to poor kicking for goal and poor skills. You should watch the Freo match from round 17. It was amatch where we dominated possession in the first half and they dominated in the last half

You’re the one who keeps banging on about missed opportunities by players. We should have been 5-6 up by half time against Freo. Our skills in this game showed why we are a middle tier team. We dominated contested footy, uncontested footy, inside 50’s, clearances and tackle numbers and yet we went into the long break with only a 1 goal advantage.

I remember in the game day thread for this Freo match at Marvel you were criticising Ratten for not countering the influence of Fyfe in the second half. Fyfe had been absent up until he did a few nice things in the latter part of the third quarter. By that stage the horse had bolted. Freo were already 3 goals up and had taken away our advantage. They had the momentum and created a five goal lead going into the last break.

Our skills and set shots at goal also let us down in the match against Brisbane. We need to recruit more elite young talent. We need to ensure that we develop and improve the existing talent on the list. Changing the coaches is not the solution to improving the list. Simples!!
And what do ex-coaches Rutten and Ratten now have in common, beside similar surnames and under performing squads.
That's easy

A: they were both white anted and plotted against for over 12 months

B: their boards and football directors have been incompetent for a considerable while and nothing indicates that will change anytime soon

I know what you were thinking :mrgreen: 8-)

You might also have an answer that is correct and I'm sure if someone else is creative enough there might be another answer we both haven't thought of

**** me
NO thanks, not in a million f****** years. :roll: :wink:
I can not believe you felt the need to answer this.
Just for clarification it was not “an invitation to treat”
I’d like to be unequivocal on that.
Weird.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 20 Nov 2022 2:14am
Oh and just in case you forget to re-watch the gane and dazzle us all with more of your “insight” below is how Fox Footy saw Fyfe’s performance….only a muppet would suggest otherwise….unless you weren’t there?????
I love how some people think they’re smart and yet they use someone else's summary to analyse a game.

Also, really funny how your perception of what happened is clouded by other people’s perception because ‘you were there’. So I suppose all the coaches next year don’t need to sit down and review games with their players…”it’s not necessary guys…because you were there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not only are you wrong in many cases with your opinions but lately you’re posts are very simple…and boring

Why don’t you tell us in your words when the game turned?

You don’t have to watch the whole game. Why don’t you just watch the 3rd quarter? It’s freely available. You’ll see that Fyfe didn’t ‘turn’ the game

You know what your real problem is don’t you!? Why don’t you admit it? You spent more time worrying about drinking than you did trying to work out what was going on in the game

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

As I posted in another thread, could we all dial down any personal invective and be civil in disagreement. #polite

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 20 Nov 2022 7:14pm As I posted in another thread, could we all dial down any personal invective and be civil in disagreement. #polite
It turns me on when you start talking tough.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

And WTF does things have to be quoted numerous times?!

Scrolling forever just to get to a comment

Fkn ridiculous

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It’s the slow news part of the season. This is when the forum gets chockablock full of absolute garbage and the focus becomes forum members.
Just ride it out

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 20 Nov 2022 4:15pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 20 Nov 2022 2:14am
Oh and just in case you forget to re-watch the gane and dazzle us all with more of your “insight” below is how Fox Footy saw Fyfe’s performance….only a muppet would suggest otherwise….unless you weren’t there?????
I love how some people think they’re smart and yet they use someone else's summary to analyse a game.

Also, really funny how your perception of what happened is clouded by other people’s perception because ‘you were there’. So I suppose all the coaches next year don’t need to sit down and review games with their players…”it’s not necessary guys…because you were there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not only are you wrong in many cases with your opinions but lately you’re posts are very simple…and boring

Why don’t you tell us in your words when the game turned?

You don’t have to watch the whole game. Why don’t you just watch the 3rd quarter? It’s freely available. You’ll see that Fyfe didn’t ‘turn’ the game

You know what your real problem is don’t you!? Why don’t you admit it? You spent more time worrying about drinking than you did trying to work out what was going on in the game
Lol everyone else is wrong on Fyfes influence on the game bar you????
Even when presented with clear evidence to the contrary???
I’ve heard of head in the sand …but I think yours is firmly entrenched elsewhere….
Mr “Analysis” LMFAO.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 20 Nov 2022 7:14pm As I posted in another thread, could we all dial down any personal invective and be civil in disagreement. #polite
Apologies Byron I shall desist as I’ve come to realise I have been engaging with those a little less fortunate intellectually than the rest of us.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

FMD….the smartest guy in the room spends his time talking to those ‘less fortunate intellectually’. He’s very giving. It must be like a charity thing for him

It’s a shame he’s too gutless to actually give us his own summary of a single quarter of footy

Here’s the challenge for you Mr Stubborn one; Watch the 3rd quarter of our Round 17 game

Freo kicked the last goal of the first half and then kicked the first 4 goals in the third quarter. That’s five in a row and the tide was turned. According to Teflon it was Fyfe who ‘turned the game’ and it was Bretts fault that we lost
I, like everyone at the ground, knew at some point Fyfe would go to the middle….what did Brett do????? Sweet FA
Why????
Cause Brett hadn’t even anticipated the most obvious move that turned the game
A simple task for anyone is to count how many touches Nat got during that 5 goal haul. How many were in the middle? And while your practising counting, why don’t you count how many out of bounds on the full our players kicked in that small period

How is it that we were smashing them in clearances by half way in the 3rd (I think it was 21 -14) and smashing them in contested and uncontested footy and smashing them in inside 50’s (I think it was 34-26) but they were now in front by 3 goals?

Ok for Teflon to blame players for not executing basic kicking skills when we lose and when it suits him, but in this instance he wants to blame the coach.

The stats by mid way through the third were basically all our way…before the ‘game turned’. Another absolute doozy of a stat pops up on the screen with 2 minutes to go until 3 quarter time - centre clearances up until that point were 16-5 our way!!

How damning is that on our delivery inside 50 and also on our forwards for their lack of movement or ability to lead? And by the way, Mr Fyfe wasn’t playing at Centre HB or FB

Serong, Brodie, Mundy, Brayshaw, Schultz and especially Lobb were the ones who did the damage in the 3rd. Fyfe was a contributor with a goal and a few touches as well in the 3rd, but Fyfe’s flurry of possessions in the 4th quarter was not why we lost.

I understand that it’s easy to get confused and some people have killed off a few too many brain cells over the years. After all, the cameras did pan to Fyfe several times with some zoom shots up close in that 3rd quarter when he was sitting on the pine

I know you won’t take up the challenge though

Instead you will desist from being so generous with your time

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 20 Nov 2022 11:03pm
Apologies Byron I shall desist as I’ve come to realise I have been engaging with those a little less fortunate intellectually than the rest of us.
Go ya hardest Brother Teffers, I'm pretty certain SB was referring to the posters who don't align with his views....you are a Ratten hater so you should be as safe as houses brother. Hate away.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

But he/she touched me first
didn't
did
If you don't stop I'm turning this car around;
sorry,
not sorry
… kids will be kids and rules will be broken, polite requests ignored.
Childish is as childish does.
Eventually the car will stop or crash.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Nov 2022 6:11am
Teflon wrote: Sun 20 Nov 2022 11:03pm
Go ya hardest Brother Teffers, I'm pretty certain SB was referring to the posters who don't align with his views....you are a Ratten hater so you should be as safe as houses brother. Hate away.
Oh FFS. I'm referring to everybody. Fair dinkum, just be civil to one another. Stop the put downs, the belittling, the character slights, the superiority, all of it. It's f****** tedious and a complete bore to have to umpire. #over it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think there is a salty Ratten fanboy in the house.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would agree that it’s rather tedious. The schtick is well known.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 21 Nov 2022 8:26am But he/she touched me first
didn't
did
If you don't stop I'm turning this car around;
sorry,
not sorry
… kids will be kids and rules will be broken, polite requests ignored.
Childish is as childish does.
Eventually the car will stop or crash.

haha

i had a supposed grown up (woman)
in the car with me one day

can not remember what she was bitching about
but her grizzling was driving me insane

so i pulled up on the side of the freeway
and said ... GET OUT

she stfu after that , i can assure ya

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 21 Nov 2022 10:45am I would agree that it’s rather tedious. The schtick is well known.
You love it, why post otherwise...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 21 Nov 2022 1:44am FMD….the smartest guy in the room spends his time talking to those ‘less fortunate intellectually’. He’s very giving. It must be like a charity thing for him

It’s a shame he’s too gutless to actually give us his own summary of a single quarter of footy

Here’s the challenge for you Mr Stubborn one; Watch the 3rd quarter of our Round 17 game

Freo kicked the last goal of the first half and then kicked the first 4 goals in the third quarter. That’s five in a row and the tide was turned. According to Teflon it was Fyfe who ‘turned the game’ and it was Bretts fault that we lost
I, like everyone at the ground, knew at some point Fyfe would go to the middle….what did Brett do????? Sweet FA
Why????
A simple task for anyone is to count how many touches Nat got during that 5 goal haul. How many were in the middle? And while your practising counting, why don’t you count how many out of bounds on the full our players kicked in that small period

How is it that we were smashing them in clearances by half way in the 3rd (I think it was 21 -14) and smashing them in contested and uncontested footy and smashing them in inside 50’s (I think it was 34-26) but they were now in front by 3 goals?

Ok for Teflon to blame players for not executing basic kicking skills when we lose and when it suits him, but in this instance he wants to blame the coach.

The stats by mid way through the third were basically all our way…before the ‘game turned’. Another absolute doozy of a stat pops up on the screen with 2 minutes to go until 3 quarter time - centre clearances up until that point were 16-5 our way!!

How damning is that on our delivery inside 50 and also on our forwards for their lack of movement or ability to lead? And by the way, Mr Fyfe wasn’t playing at Centre HB or FB

Serong, Brodie, Mundy, Brayshaw, Schultz and especially Lobb were the ones who did the damage in the 3rd. Fyfe was a contributor with a goal and a few touches as well in the 3rd, but Fyfe’s flurry of possessions in the 4th quarter was not why we lost.

I understand that it’s easy to get confused and some people have killed off a few too many brain cells over the years. After all, the cameras did pan to Fyfe several times with some zoom shots up close in that 3rd quarter when he was sitting on the pine

Oh dear Trollop please refrain from enlightening us all with your stupid little stats “how many out of bounds…” blah blah blah
FFS football (here’s a free lesson so keep up) is a game of momentum- often important touches/acts in a game of football can swing a match your sides way.
It’s not played on stats sheets you numpty
Fyfe was crucial going into the centre, using his size to block and clear pathways to assist with clearances I know cause I was at the game
Answer the question oh enlightened analytical one:
Were you actually at the game???????
It’s a yes/no type proposition that even for one with as little grey matter as you ought to be able to handle.
We wait with bated breath for your next stats instalment!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 21 Nov 2022 10:00am I think there is a salty Ratten fanboy in the house.
LMAO me thinks you’re right
Never mind Vort….I’m sure the Roos have room for 1 more fan that can’t muster his own views and sits on the fence!!

“Yeah….nah””
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 21 Nov 2022 1:57pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 21 Nov 2022 1:44am FMD….the smartest guy in the room spends his time talking to those ‘less fortunate intellectually’. He’s very giving. It must be like a charity thing for him

Why????

Oh dear Trollop please refrain from enlightening us all with your stupid little stats “how many out of bounds…” blah blah blah
FFS football (here’s a free lesson so keep up) is a game of momentum- often important touches/acts in a game of football can swing a match your sides way.
It’s not played on stats sheets you numpty
Fyfe was crucial going into the centre, using his size to block and clear pathways to assist with clearances I know cause I was at the game
Answer the question oh enlightened analytical one:
Were you actually at the game???????
It’s a yes/no type proposition that even for one with as little grey matter as you ought to be able to handle.
We wait with bated breath for your next stats instalment!
Trollop. Did you farkin read what I wrote? Enough already. Only reason there aren't suspensions is cos it's a pain the arse to do. Last warning. Locked.