Tasmania- Why a brand new stadium?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tasmania- Why a brand new stadium?

pretty sure chopper was a tassy boy
(not really my area of interest)

his boy is/was running amok enough to make the daily bugle

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

'n just in case anyone missed Aeons good work

may i present

The One True ... Chopper

try tickling one of these things onto the bank

'n only in Tassy is the opportunity

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

From far, far away..
I don't blame the local pollies down there being appalled by the stadium.

As I said in the OP, why a stadium? Gold Coast, GWS, all the interstate clubs could get along with their existing thing for a while (or still) , but Tassie had to have this,.

I am sure it will be nice to have it, etc., etc. and it is exciting to build it. But it stinks of a mainland agenda and mainland friends and mates doing deals with one another and their proxies on the Apple isle.

I've never voted for the blue team and I'm a greenie who was happy when the Franklin Dam was blocked, but even then, as a teen, I got the impression that the Tassie lot didn't appreciate federal meddling, especially when it had massive political overtones. I actually reckon, it did a lot to get Hawke into power..The Americas cup put a little extra wind in his sails.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
flack
Club Player

Logic would suggest that Tassie uses a current stadium and then, if or when they outgrow it, modify it or build a new structure. Other priorities for funding are far more urgent and the new stadium may not be needed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 11:08am From far, far away..
I don't blame the local pollies down there being appalled by the stadium.

As I said in the OP, why a stadium? Gold Coast, GWS, all the interstate clubs could get along with their existing thing for a while (or still) , but Tassie had to have this,.

I am sure it will be nice to have it, etc., etc. and it is exciting to build it. But it stinks of a mainland agenda and mainland friends and mates doing deals with one another and their proxies on the Apple isle.

I've never voted for the blue team and I'm a greenie who was happy when the Franklin Dam was blocked, but even then, as a teen, I got the impression that the Tassie lot didn't appreciate federal meddling, especially when it had massive political overtones. I actually reckon, it did a lot to get Hawke into power..The Americas cup put a little extra wind in his sails.
While I believe in general, that greenies suck big time and Bob Brown more than most, this particular part of the forum is for footy topics.

You shouldn't have to be continually reminded.

PS. I am grateful that the Franklin wasn't damaged.

The f****** Hydro Commission in Tassie was in reality a defacto government. Someone had to stop them.

Now back to the footy. :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

My dad was on the Hydro

Put food on our family’s table

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 11:38pm My dad was on the Hydro

Put food on our family’s table
Good for you and your family. But the hydro was a law unto itself. Damming Lake Pedder was a f****** disgrace. Someone had to stop them.

"Can Lake Pedder be restored?
The high risk dams impounding Pedder, two of which are built on the Edgar Fault line, are set for millions in “strengthening” against seismic activity. Alternative to these works, it is time to decommissioning the dams, removing the risk altogether, and getting on with the inevitable restoration of Lake Pedder"

asiu
Saintsational Legend

that was a travesty

the Hydro deserved neutering over that decision

the beach will still be there

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

flack wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 1:09pm Logic would suggest that Tassie uses a current stadium and then, if or when they outgrow it, modify it or build a new structure. Other priorities for funding are far more urgent and the new stadium may not be needed.
Blundstone and UTAS are amongst the worse stadiums on the continent, it would be an embarrassment to the rest of the AFL if they were allowed to play on those in a permanent capacity.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 4:27pm
flack wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 1:09pm Logic would suggest that Tassie uses a current stadium and then, if or when they outgrow it, modify it or build a new structure. Other priorities for funding are far more urgent and the new stadium may not be needed.
Blundstone and UTAS are amongst the worse stadiums on the continent, it would be an embarrassment to the rest of the AFL if they were allowed to play on those in a permanent capacity.
yeah, they are probably pretty grim, but Tassie are being threatened in a way those other interstate deals like Gold Coast etc. were not. They are being told, 'you either make the brand new stadium happen, or you get no team'...

So there is some material there for opportunists to jump on.

The embarrassment of an old stadium in plain sight is good copy. It's highly inflamable - burns for ten seconds. Enough to use in a Trump debate. The shame of Tassie being ignored for decades, whilst Gold Coast and GWS get billions, is hard to turn into a flashy click bait topic...It is a slow burner.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 5:17pm
Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 4:27pm
yeah, they are probably pretty grim, but Tassie are being threatened in a way those other interstate deals like Gold Coast etc. were not. They are being told, 'you either make the brand new stadium happen, or you get no team'...

So there is some material there for opportunists to jump on.

The embarrassment of an old stadium in plain sight is good copy. It's highly inflamable - burns for ten seconds. Enough to use in a Trump debate. The shame of Tassie being ignored for decades, whilst Gold Coast and GWS get billions, is hard to turn into a flashy click bait topic...It is a slow burner.
Metricon was basically rebuilt from scratch for GC and GWS were required to build a new stadium so I don't understand your point.

I also don't think it is at all reasonable for Tasmania to join the comp without a new stadium, that is such a small ask for the mass boosts to the tourism industry the state will get in perpetuity and all the AFL/federal gov. free hand outs they'll get for the next 50 years. All for what? 375 million cost to the state... anyone against this has no idea.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It’s a huge spend on a per capita basis.

Has anyone does any CB analysis?

They’re usually useless anyway.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.