Match Thread Saints v Roos Round 8 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Roos Round 8 2023

Teflon wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 9:13pm
B.M wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:30pm Went to the game

Wish I didn’t
Tim lit us up thank god…
He’s not the only footballer in our team to have made some errors. Our best player (Brad Hill in my opinion) provided lots of opportunities and he kicked a few nice darts inside 50, but he also had some clangers which cost us goals

If you want a scapegoat, maybe look to our mids for their lollipop up and unders. They are the ones who are usually relied upon as providing the bulk of our inside 50 entries.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:47pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:15pm Byrnes played well. One of our best today. Absolutely nothing wrong with his performance
He’s a butcher. Needs to be replaced along with Paton.
One of the first entries inside 50 ( first quarter) was from Byrnes who drilled a beautiful stab pass into the chest of Higgins but Missy fluffed it. If Snags had kicked the goal, I think everyone would have remembered what a great kick it was.

Byrnes had one of the best disposal efficiency stats for a mid in our team.

After half time - when everyone was frustrated with the fumbles and errors and low scoring - Ronnie kicked the footy out of bounds when he was on the wing and heading forward….but he played an important role and he played his part in the win.

How did the North Melbourne small forwards perform. How many tackles did Ben Paton make that stopped the North forwards in their tracks? He also played his role in the win

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:39pm Been awhile since I’ve seen a live game and it turned out to be one of the worst I’ve seen
Mistakes by both sides were comical. The crowd were laughing a lot of the time
Getting to see the whole ground for a change
Nth always beat us in the air
Nth put the pressure on and we couldn’t cope a lot of the time.
They ran and picked us up We didn’t do that

Nth are. Poor side. We were terrible and should have boosted our percentage. If we had been playing a good side it would have been ugly
Lyon should be angry
And probably with himself as well
Seeing Owen in the flesh was a highlight for me.
Sinclair Wilkie so skilled
I’ll take the win but not impressed
Can you elaborate? Do you mean with team selection or with the tactics or do you mean where players were positioned?

I think that Clarko would have demanded a response from his players and they would have been embarrassed by last week. They weren’t looking for a shoot out. That’s for sure. They had more kicks and marks and uncontested possessions than we did up until 3/4 time.

Apart from a speccy from Cooper and a late speccy from Matteus, I think Pou and Higgins (and a few others who wondered forward like Marshall and Owens) they got their hands on plenty of footy but we weren’t holding our marks for the majority of the game.

I thought that Membrey should have stayed at home rather than trying to be an option on the wings or high half forward. He’s never going to outmark a guy that’s 2.01m. He’s never going to outmark Goldstein either.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Sometimes a team has to find a way to win ugly.
North were always going to throw everything at us..cast your mind back to last season when North nearly caused the boil over of the year when they led Collingwood for most of the game, similarly they came within a whisker of beating the swans in Sydney!
It’s a tough competition we’re in so we’ll bank the win and move onto the crows!!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Can’t see us beating the crows if we repeat that effort