Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Paddy

I’m predicting a bag of 5 from Paddy against North

congorozides
Club Player

congorozides
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:But Con said the recruiters at the time thought Paddy wouldn't make it...he said that was the whisper. He clearly made it up.
It was a whisper. Have heard quite a few people discuss it.
Many recruiters said he was too risky and lacked any elite attributes.
This was said at the time. Academic now.

In hindsight 2014 was a s*** draft overall anyway so it probably didnt matter.

The whole top 20 isnt that great when you go back over it.
The best players are probably Heeney (18), Blakely (34), McGovern (43) and Harris Andrews (61).
All interstate selections.

Early days but 2017 looks like a super draft so we lucked out getting two top tenners there.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: The whole top 20 isnt that great when you go back over it.
The best players are probably Heeney (18), Blakely (34), McGovern (43) and Harris Andrews (61).
All interstate selections.

Early days but 2017 looks like a super draft so we lucked out getting two top tenners there.
Yep not a great draft 2014.
There are probably 3 or 4 potential gun players in order IMO:
#1 - Heeney (18)
#2 - Lever (#14)
#3 - Petracca (#2)
#4 - McGovern

A few good footballers already and some with upside like Wright:
Marchbank, Andrews, McDonald, Duggin, Daniel, Blakely, Neal-Bullen, Brayshaw, Steele, Weller, Wright, De Goey, Maynard

Not one of the better drafts in memory.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
outside66
Club Player

congorozides wrote:Image

So according to this, Paddy had his best game for the year! He'll come good and I think he'll have a big one on Friday.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Thanks con, as per most draft guides from the time, it's pretty clear that McCartin was considered a top 3 candidate.

McCartin is an athletic key forward option, a great mark and explosive on the lead. Averaged four goals per game in the TAC Cup in 2014 and was named as an All-Australian following his under 18 national championship performances for Vic Country.

Well he is definitely not athletic.
Nowhere near as athletic as Charlie Curnow for example.
I am actually quite impressed with Marchbank. Looks like a really good player to me.

also…
Hugh Goddard - Is Bomber Brendan Goddard’sfirst cousin.

As for Billings.
Yes he is good. But really he isn't that good.
He looks good in our side because we are so s*** and low on young talent.
He is nowhere near Kelly

And you are wrong

They are second cousins!!!!
They have barely even met.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Goddard

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2015-05-18/ ... han-a-name

spert
Saintsational Legend

Give young Paddy a break..he had lots of mates yesterday, and there were way too many soft defensive efforts from our midfield which put huge pressure on the backline, plus crap efforts in moving the ball into the forward half - that is our big problem. Thank goodness Carlise is a quality player, and although B Brown kicked a bag, I thought our Brown did a reasonable job under unnecessary pressure.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
Thanks con, as per most draft guides from the time, it's pretty clear that McCartin was considered a top 3 candidate.

McCartin is an athletic key forward option, a great mark and explosive on the lead. Averaged four goals per game in the TAC Cup in 2014 and was named as an All-Australian following his under 18 national championship performances for Vic Country.

Well he is definitely not athletic.
Nowhere near as athletic as Charlie Curnow for example.
I am actually quite impressed with Marchbank. Looks like a really good player to me.

also…
Hugh Goddard - Is Bomber Brendan Goddard’sfirst cousin.

As for Billings.
Yes he is good. But really he isn't that good.
He looks good in our side because we are so s*** and low on young talent.
He is nowhere near Kelly

And you are wrong

Did you all of the the second link Con?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
And you are wrong

Haha, I'm just reposting an article… so they're wrong, but the article you posted contradicts your own post.

Brendon’s cousin is Hugh’s dad’s Craig, a seemingly distant connection in most families but not so in the Goddard clan.

“Brendon has been great for me over the journey, especially over the last two years,” Goddard said.

“Obviously he went through the draft and all the underage stuff himself so he gave me some great advice and we still catch up to play golf fairly regularly.”

:D

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
And you are wrong

Haha, I'm just reposting an article… so they're wrong, but the article you posted contradicts your own post.

Brendon’s cousin is Hugh’s dad’s Craig, a seemingly distant connection in most families but not so in the Goddard clan.

“Brendon has been great for me over the journey, especially over the last two years,” Goddard said.

“Obviously he went through the draft and all the underage stuff himself so he gave me some great advice and we still catch up to play golf fairly regularly.”

:D
Seriously, how the hell would Hugh know if he was close to Brendon?
I believe Con .

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

So who's Ben's cousin?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Anyway back to Paddy.
I think he can make it but needs to get much fitter so he can cover more territory.
The stay at home crash and bash fwd is well out of vogue in AFL footy.

portosaint
Club Player

We can only hope Con. He's been a massive investment and we're average at best, so we might as well give him the opportunity.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What’s up with Paddy’s marking technique. Anyone spot it... he keeps trying to mark it directly over his head... not infront at all the things is that he actually gets his hands on the ball in the majority of contests but the opposition punch it away easy

Someone shd coach him about that

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:I’m predicting a bag of 5 from Paddy against North
I reckon he'll go the full half dozen donuts.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:So who's Ben's cousin?
and Ben’s uncle?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Yep Paddy got a bag of more than 5. More than 5 possessions.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:What’s up with Paddy’s marking technique. Anyone spot it... he keeps trying to mark it directly over his head... not infront at all the things is that he actually gets his hands on the ball in the majority of contests but the opposition punch it away easy

Someone shd coach him about that
Brereton was critical of the way Paddy just goes for the ball and does nothing to prevent his opponent getting to the contest first.
Suggested Paddy was still playing Under 18s football.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
DJ Higgins
Club Player

The sooner you accept Paddy isn't going to be a star, like Freeman the better. I copped a lot of crap from posters on here when I said it was stupid to renew his contract prior to this season as he might leave. Who would have him and for what amount of money? He is crap, he really is. He was a big kid who could bully players of the ball in the juniors and now he can't. Poor marking (dropping chest marks), cant kick at goal, sluggish, I could go on. I ahve seen nothing to say he will be a good forward let alone a great one. In saying that he may be a better back like Brown. It is better to have him spoiling marks and kicking up field rather than not marking the ball and not getting goal.
Thoughts?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:The sooner you accept Paddy isn't going to be a star, like Freeman the better. I copped a lot of crap from posters on here when I said it was stupid to renew his contract prior to this season as he might leave. Who would have him and for what amount of money? He is crap, he really is. He was a big kid who could bully players of the ball in the juniors and now he can't. Poor marking (dropping chest marks), cant kick at goal, sluggish, I could go on. I ahve seen nothing to say he will be a good forward let alone a great one. In saying that he may be a better back like Brown. It is better to have him spoiling marks and kicking up field rather than not marking the ball and not getting goal.
Thoughts?
I don’t think he has the mobility or explosive speed for the backline. His speed tends to factor into play during the run... as in he keeps a higher speed more into the run.
Ironically, I actually think he would do better trying to play a Roo style game as opposed to a Kosi one.

He gets to a lot of contests and brings the ball down but there is a clear technique issue in his marking style... he’s trying to use his size to advantage against men. I think the Brereton comment is a good one... like I said earlier, he tries to take the mark above his head at the highest point but it doesn’t work because it’s easily spoiled... needs the hands out in front.

And extraordinary his kicking seems to have gotten worse since he came to the club.

Still think ppl are being way too harsh on the kid.
I actually think that the coaching group are damaging the list to a degree

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

silverhalo wrote:I'm calling it now that Paddy won't make the grade at this level. I don't know what people saw in him to have him as a potential number 1 pick because I don't see anything that warranted him being picked up at 1; I wouldn't even take him as a third round selection.

Too slow, not a great mark, average kick, no awareness......what are people seeing that I cannot?? I remember looking at footage of him before the draft and thinking there's nothing special there.

Paddy seems like a really nice kid and I hope to God that I'm wrong but I am really worried.
Is there some level of corruption in the draft so duds get ranked higher so stkilda get them?

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote: Is there some level of corruption in the draft so duds get ranked higher so stkilda get them?
Who would you have taken in what turned out to be a weak draft?
Petracca, whilst maybe better performed at this stage is the type of player that can be replaced easily - most teams have a number of Petracca type players.
McCartin, at this stage has not panned out, we took a chance on picking a player that could have been a game changer rather than a slightly above average general player.

I see the logic - in a draft that there was no 'Riewoldt'esque players - you take a higher risk to get a higher reward (or not)

I would love to see Paddy tearing it up - it just has not happened for the kid - but whilst he is a Sainter I will support him to the fullest.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
ralphsmith wrote: Is there some level of corruption in the draft so duds get ranked higher so stkilda get them?
Petracca, whilst maybe better performed at this stage is the type of player that can be replaced easily - most teams have a number of Petracca type players.
Most teams do not have a number of 22 year olds who get 20+ touches and 1+ goals per games. He awesome in contested situations and his marking is a serious weapon up forward. Don't forget that he had a year of development ruined by an ACL so is still gradually building towards his best where I think he will probably be a 25 disposal, 2 goal per game midfielder/half forward. Meanwhile Paddy is on track to be a 20 goal per year full forward if he manages to stay on the park. It was obvious to anyone who followed the draft that taking McCartin over Pertracca was a massive mistake except for our recruiting staff, apparently.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Disposals?

portosaint
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
Most teams do not have a number of 22 year olds who get 20+ touches and 1+ goals per games. He awesome in contested situations and his marking is a serious weapon up forward. Don't forget that he had a year of development ruined by an ACL so is still gradually building towards his best where I think he will probably be a 25 disposal, 2 goal per game midfielder/half forward. Meanwhile Paddy is on track to be a 20 goal per year full forward if he manages to stay on the park. It was obvious to anyone who followed the draft that taking McCartin over Pertracca was a massive mistake except for our recruiting staff, apparently.
Because McCartins development hasnt had any hiccups?? FFS
Petracca had a full, uninterrupted year, and he is still "gradually building?" I reckon Paddy would take that