Treloar

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Treloar

Amazing how incompetent or corrupt most journalists are.

They are swallowing the line that gained Collingwood pick 14 and a future 2nd round pick (late pick as attached to Bulldogs) but totally ignore that Collingwood went into the trade period with picks 39 and 41 (after free agent compensations).
One a late 2nd round attached to Richmond the other an early 3rd round attached to North.
Those two picks worth far more than the future 2nd round attached to Bulldogs.

Bottom line Collingwood got less than pick 14 for Treloar, Phillips and Stephenson.

They gained the equivalent of pick 17 and that out of the Stephenson deal, virtually zero for Treloar and Phillips.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

Qualification to be a football journalist must be a FAIL at year 10 maths.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

A few years ago I looked into a career change with a view of becoming a journalist.

The more I read up on it and the more I looked into journalism, it saddened me to realise that it really is more about attracting attention as opposed to doing quality work.
Lousy work that is shorter, bias, provocative and misleading attracts readership.

It’s not about making people think but rather getting them to feel.

Look at someone like Andrew Bolt... never written a comprehensive article in his life, but his half-asses potshots have granted him the status of featured editorialist.

Point is... if you read something and feel irritated by it’s quality, they’ve got you
Last edited by skeptic on Tue 17 Nov 2020 7:48am, edited 2 times in total.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Journalism as a profession is dead. Fairfax cleaned house last year. The Murdochs have as many as 50,000 "contributors" to call on. Like cooking and house painting, everyone fancies themselves as having the requisite skill to match the pros.

The standard of journalism in this country, and I use the descriptive term at its loosest has been in a steady downward spiral for decades. The presence of social media and declining literacy has hastened its demise.

My old mate, Andrew RULE, who has been in the game for 40 years and is near retirement, advises any eager young writer to eschew a career in journalism for something "with a future". Sad, really.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
The Billings Method
Club Player

Journalism as a profession is dead. Fairfax cleaned house last year. The Murdochs have as many as 50,000 "contributors" to call on. Like cooking and house painting, everyone fancies themselves as having the requisite skill to match the pros.

The standard of journalism in this country, and I use the descriptive term at its loosest has been in a steady downward spiral for decades. The presence of social media and declining literacy has hastened its demise.

My old mate, Andrew RULE, who has been in the game for 40 years and is near retirement, advises any eager young writer to eschew a career in journalism for something "with a future". Sad, really.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Investigative journalism has been decimated in the past decade and the effect on democracy is there for all to see. It's been facinating watching two ex Prime Minister's make attempts to bring down King Maker Murdoch. It won't happen.

It's also facinating watching Murdoch and Trump fiddling with their 70 million followers, who will win that power struggle, I know who the losers will be.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Great discussion and there have been a lot of nails hit on the head. The idea that journalism is there to report news is on life support. Journo's, like umpires, should not be noticed if they are doing their jobs properly. The media is a self fulfilling beast, reader beware!

Social media, Google & Wiki is where truth & facts go to be rewritten. If you don't like something or wish to argue a fact, Google it. If you want to prove a point, Google it. Just ignore the authors & motives.

TBM, I like Andrew Rule but I know for a fact he is driven by bias and his "sources", without checking their motives & ignoring their pasts. Journos, like any human, can be vindictive...they just have a bigger platform, vehicle and spotlight.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 17 Nov 2020 6:55am Investigative journalism has been decimated in the past decade and the effect on democracy is there for all to see. It's been facinating watching two ex Prime Minister's make attempts to bring down King Maker Murdoch. It won't happen.

It's also facinating watching Murdoch and Trump fiddling with their 70 million followers, who will win that power struggle, I know who the losers will be.
Not a fan, but way too much focus on Murdoch for my liking. Is this because all the good guys and the purveyors of the source of truth just happen to work at the ABC? Rubbish.

Fact is, like any business, media is a profit business and journalism is a cost centre. Good investigative journalism is time-consuming and expensive. The bulk of ’news’ is a regurgitation of text sourced from global news agencies (propaganda multiplier). I suspect it has something to do with deregulation and consolidation of global media and the convergence of digital media, public relations and entertainment.

Journalism is dead.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 17 Nov 2020 8:23am
Vortex wrote: Tue 17 Nov 2020 6:55am Investigative journalism has been decimated in the past decade and the effect on democracy is there for all to see. It's been facinating watching two ex Prime Minister's make attempts to bring down King Maker Murdoch. It won't happen.

Not a fan, but way too much focus on Murdoch for my liking. Is this because all the good guys and the purveyors of the source of truth just happen to work at the ABC? Rubbish.

Fact is, like any business, media is a profit business and journalism is a cost centre. Good investigative journalism is time-consuming and expensive. The bulk of ’news’ is a regurgitation of text sourced from global news agencies (propaganda multiplier). I suspect it has something to do with deregulation and consolidation of global media and the convergence of digital media, public relations and entertainment.

Journalism is dead.
Personally I don't buy into the whole red versus blue system of which now the media shares a symbiotic relationship or more aptly, competion with.

The media is part of the problem and for the very reasons you make, profit. Look at what is going on between Trump and Murdoch right now, it's all about who gets to rule 70 million people for the purpose of profit.

Obama hit the nail on the head in his latest media appearance, its about winning. We now cheer on politicians and their teams with more vigour than a wrestling match and its just become petty and tedious. When will we wake up.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Agree that journalism is dead in the mainstream media like Murdoch’s empire and other so called independents like The Age. It’s pretty much all clickbait.

I do find some longer and more investigative pieces in The New York Times - especially in their Weekender section. Other journals like The Economist and The Atlantic also have pieces that encourage me to think and consider other points of view. I also use RealClearPolitics sometimes because they have a daily list of links to articles from across the political spectrum. When I feel a bit more open minded it’s interesting to read someone who comes from a polar opposite point of view.

I do though largely read and consume media that supports my left leaning perspective. Other people consume media that supports their right leaning perspective. And the majority of people are enmeshed with their chosen media outlets that perpetuate the notion of people with opposing perspectives being wrong and ‘the enemy’. Just like footy - our guys are the good guys and those who are ‘not us’ are regarded with degrees of enmity depending on their level of perceived offensiveness.

Biden’s going to have a tough job to jump over that hurdle in trying to bring some unity to America.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

For years now I have been describing journos as scum. It is only now others are catching on.

Paul Murray and his ilk tying themselves in knots trying to justify that moron Trump is actually sick making and the hatred pouring out of ABC shows like Q and A is just as nauseating.

Scum one and all, left or right, it hardly matters.

At least that's what anyone with an once of intelligence and common sense should conclude.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 7:13pm
Saintmatt wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 12:44pm
Leo.J wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 8:52am We dodged a bullet with Treloar...

...got it from a very reliable source that he was a nightmare in the hub this year. the words used were "he is uncoachable".

Apart from freeing up cap space, the Pies were concerned that if Treloar was that bad in lockdown, he may not deal well with being away from his family again in 2021, whether it be another lockdown scenario or just for the fact that his wife and kid will be on the GC for most of next season.

His team mates had had enough of him.

I reckon we got wind of this and backed away. Funny thing is, we got rid of Bruce for similar reasons, now they're both together at the Dogs. Bevo will have his hands full next year.
I’ve wondered a lot over the last 10 days what “Uncoachable” means in the context of Treloar. Is it that he doesn’t take direction, feedback, selfish, unselfish? Weird
So I have known a Collingwood "medical" staff member for many, many years, and though he would not comment on this specific topic (Adam hard to coach) and he would not break ranks as he is close with the head coach, he did say "Adam is a very honest, decent but sometimes very emotional young man who wears his heart on his sleeve, but is EXTREMELY popular within the playing group".

To me that statement reads the senior players did not want him gone and he is not lying when he comments to the media. Guess its what everyone suspects as well.

Plenty of players shaft their club but this has to be the worst case i can recall of a club hanging a guy out there.

Worst part for mine is to do it to a young guy who they know battles emotionally, there is really no human care factor in what has transpired. Hopefully when it comes to recruiting Collingwood are tarnished as a destination for the next decade and beyond.

A big lesson for our club when players like Hannebery & Hill are signed on big bucks and are currently not in our best 10 players. Doubt we will be dangling any big bucks until Hannebery contract is over and we outlive the legacy of the McKenzie, Robbo, Webster, Kent contracts to players who are not best 22 players.

Cash is going to be required for Clark, Coff, Paton, King and I'd expect 2 year extensions to be the normal moving forward.
That rings largely true with what I know re: Treloar - he's a lovely young bloke - emotionally intelligent but fragile and extremely well liked. I think it's absolutely reprehensible what the filth have done to him and to drag his wife's employment into it just makes it worse. The best part is that their supporter base sees right through this and no matter what the filth admin do from here - it's all entirely unbelievable and spun. And the President has been far too silent and let everyone else take the bullets. What a leader! All in all - the filth have punted a couple of their most loved players and they supporters trust the players (and their sides of the story) and not their club. Perfect. Let fvcking joint burn. Slowly.

Just a point of clarification though. Hanners contract is the least of our issues - it was HEAVILY front ended (when we were barely paying anyone) and the majority of it will be gone by the end of this season. The McKenzie, Robbo, Webster, Kent are a bit more problematic. Add Ross and Dunstan to that list although, at least their contracts are also done at the end of 2021 (as is Kent & Robbo) but McKenzie and Webster are contracted until the end of 2022.

Go you red, black & white warriors
asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha

very perceptive
We now cheer on politicians and their teams with more vigour than a wrestling match and its just become petty and tedious.
did it myself , with an irrepressibility that surprised
even me
during the reds victory up here in the election just executed

i turned the thing into a game of footy
and the reds were gunna win
... no doubt about it

Grace Grace verses Pinky Singh
at McConnel Oval

nothing like the blues
getting their noses rubbed in
their own creation , ay.

now obviously ,
my expression wasn’t ‘tedious’
but my god
was it petty.

:P :P

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Josh Battle
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 17 Nov 2020 10:19am
Treloar - he's a lovely young bloke - emotionally intelligent but fragile and extremely well liked. I think it's absolutely reprehensible what the filth have done to him and to drag his wife's employment into it just makes it worse. The best part is that their supporter base sees right through this and no matter what the filth admin do from here - it's all entirely unbelievable and spun. And the President has been far too silent and let everyone else take the bullets. What a leader! All in all - the filth have punted a couple of their most loved players and they supporters trust the players (and their sides of the story) and not their club. Perfect. Let fvcking joint burn. Slowly.
Bucks became the ‘company man’ for Collingwood, getting the required result for his employer. As long Bucks is employed he couldn’t give a stuff who he pisses on or who gets burned. The problem with publicly claiming that Treloar was a liability due to his personal circumstances is now that it opens the door for Treloar to have legal grounds to sue at some stage in the future.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-17/ ... r/12889154

I agree he’s a lovely bloke and he'll probably pass on any litigation if it is suggested to him...but who knows and who can predict the future? He’ll certainly not be as naive or as trusting any more with what ever he is told from his current or future employers