Practice Match Carlton v St.Kilda - Ikon Park, Thursday 24th February, 10:00AM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Practice Match Carlton v St.Kilda - Ikon Park, Thursday 24th February, 10:00AM

From above article.

"Saints’ veterans Zak Jones and Seb Ross were also productive through the midfield/half-back, while Josh Battle appeared at ease in a new role in defence."

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Practice Match Carlton v St.Kilda - Ikon Park, Thursday 24th February, 10:00AM

The stats were shared on BF by Significant- just highlights how our midfield were completely owned by Carltons.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachme ... g.1333826/

Clark had more touches than I expected but he was completely ineffectual. He really does lack 2nd efforts, highlighted by his lack of effort in the 1st quarter when he was run down from behind by Owies when running out of defence. Owies then bounced up and sprinted 30 metres to the next contest and kicked a goal while Clark was still dragging himself off the ground. It was a really condemning sight and something his line coach should highlight. We all know he can play much better and given the talk of him pushing up into the midfield I was really disappointed with his game. On the last two weeks games I question whether he should be playing round 1?

The other completely ineffectual player was Crouch, he simply has no run or spread when he wins the ball. He just handballs and yesterday put his team mates under more pressure, he also missed a number of tackles which were telling.

Seb Ross was critcised for his disposal which was poor, but he was one of few midfielders he appeared to at least be having a real go. Crouch & Ross are two other players who should have the positions in the team under pressure, given Bytels form.

The other stats that suprised were the frees for & against - in the 1st half in particular every call seemed to go Carltons way. Pittonet actually tackled Webster in a marking duel, he pushed Campbell in the back consistently in rucking & marking contests no frees. Max King and other forwards were consistently tunnelled and pushed under the ball by the Carlton defenders and not called. I agree with Curly it was a very ordinary umpiring performance particularly in the 1st half, but Carlton were first to the ball over that period.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Fri 25 Feb 2022 11:58am, edited 3 times in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 11:27am From above article.

"Saints’ veterans Zak Jones and Seb Ross were also productive through the midfield/half-back, while Josh Battle appeared at ease in a new role in defence."
What a croc!

Battle’s opponent had four shots at goal!
Left him often.

I know he looked good… I only saw the last quarter so…

Mid field is very middle-of/the-road.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saints58
Club Player

I really think we need to now put pressure on the players in the 22 with some of the younger guys like Connolly, bytel, byrnes or look at the players in the sandy side they can't do any worse then some of the guys in who played yesterday. I think some of them were to complacent they know they will get a game.
This happened last season with our complacency and look at the start we have no excuse now if they know they might loose there spot it might put a rocket under them.
Yes I know it was a practice match but we will have to improve very quickly if we are to start the season well, I hope we play some of the younger guys in the Essendon match but Ratts said he will probably play close to the team for round 1 so no young guys I would suspect in practice match.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We will find out more about our midfield against Essendon. Last time against us, they ran amok. Zach Merrett has a field day against us every time.

In reality, we have a reasonable midfield and nothing more at this stage. A fit Hannebery would make a massive difference, but that's living in a fantasy world.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross got the most possessions of any saints player and the highest fantasy points but according to the experts on SS he was s***. Sure he was.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 12:53pm Seb Ross got the most possessions of any saints player and the highest fantasy points but according to the experts on SS he was s***. Sure he was.
I had him in my best players, but having re watched the game I can understand peoples concerns. Too often he just scrubs a kick forward when there were other options available. Its almost like moving and taking on a tackle are completely removed from his repertoire. Then there is his delivery into the F50 which is well below par.

In short I question whether he should ever be played at centre bounces or midfield, he doesnt have the game for it. No one has ever suggested he cant win the ball or lacks effort its just what he does with his possessions. For me if he plays its on a wing, but even then he is limited. The irony yesterday was watching Newnes on Carltons wing stuff one kick, but Ross scrubbed plenty.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Seb's stats.

11 kicks
12 handballs....total disposals 23.
4 marks.
6 tackles
91 fantasy points.....4th highest.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 11:32am The stats were shared on BF by Significant- just highlights how our midfield were completely owned by Carltons.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachme ... g.1333826/

Clark had more touches than I expected but he was completely ineffectual. He really does lack 2nd efforts, highlighted by his lack of effort in the 1st quarter when he was run down from behind by Owies when running out of defence. Owies then bounced up and sprinted 30 metres to the next contest and kicked a goal while Clark was still dragging himself off the ground. It was a really condemning sight and something his line coach should highlight. We all know he can play much better and given the talk of him pushing up into the midfield I was really disappointed with his game. On the last two weeks games I question whether he should be playing round 1?

The other completely ineffectual player was Crouch, he simply has no run or spread when he wins the ball. He just handballs and yesterday put his team mates under more pressure, he also missed a number of tackles which were telling.

Seb Ross was critcised for his disposal which was poor, but he was one of few midfielders he appeared to at least be having a real go. Crouch & Ross are two other players who should have the positions in the team under pressure, given Bytels form.

The other stats that suprised were the frees for & against - in the 1st half in particular every call seemed to go Carltons way. Pittonet actually tackled Webster in a marking duel, he pushed Campbell in the back consistently in rucking & marking contests no frees. Max King and other forwards were consistently tunnelled and pushed under the ball by the Carlton defenders and not called. I agree with Curly it was a very ordinary umpiring performance particularly in the 1st half, but Carlton were first to the ball over that period.
So you're telling me after all the whinging and sooking and complaining about the umpires from the usuals, IN A PRACTICE MATCH, the free kick count was 24-23 our way???

Bodes well for the season, they're definitely not spamming, no not at all... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 12:53pm Seb Ross got the most possessions of any saints player and the highest fantasy points but according to the experts on SS he was s***. Sure he was.
Yet you will still pick Bytel over Seb (top of page 7). Are you having a conversation with yourself here saynta?

Our midfield was poor, forget the stats as in today's footy a player can fill his boots with possessions. It is what they do with them, how they link plays together that's important. Crouch, Jones and Ross were all guilty of failing to set up any consteuctive plays with their possession game.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 2:35pm
Yet you will still pick Bytel over Seb (top of page 7). Are you having a conversation with yourself here saynta?

Our midfield was poor, forget the stats as in today's footy a player can fill his boots with possessions. It is what they do with them, how they link plays together that's important. Crouch, Jones and Ross were all guilty of failing to set up any consteuctive plays with their possession game.
Many reasons why I would pick Bytel over Ross and none of them have anything to do with the annual and perpetual Seb haters.

Same ones who were pissed off Seb won two B and F and was runner up in a third. Hate is why they tried to denigrate those wins.

But now, Bytel is the future.

THE age reporter who presumably is unbiased said Seb did OK. That will do me as I am prepared to accept what he writes over Seb's

detractors.

Anyway , it was only a practise match FFS.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 9:13am
The Fireman wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 7:15pm
diddley wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 6:47pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 5:11pm .. am I allowed to say the cheating wogs ?
No. Not needed.
General rule is, if you think you might not be able to say it, it is probably wrong.
Cheating vermin. Go for it. Keep peoples heritage out of it.
Shame considering heritage is so valued by all those who live here so as a general rule what if it’s probably right ?
But you’re wrong and it was an ignorant and stupid comment by you, again.

The majority of Carlton players have been Anglo Saxon.

A few of those “wogs” ended up coming to the Saints.

Jezza for instance.

The Saints have also had a few over the years.
The ones that came to the saints were good wogs 😊

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 11:00am
The Fireman wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 5:11pm I was expecting a much better turnout against .. am I allowed to say the cheating wogs ?
I am disappointed
Ahh, no.
Oh

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 1:34pm Seb's stats.

11 kicks
12 handballs....total disposals 23.
4 marks.
6 tackles
91 fantasy points.....4th highest.
What was the Disposal Efficiency - I know he was not on his Pat Malone - but his handballs at the feet of a player - or worse still behind them kill me

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 11:20am
The Age wrote: Brad Hill played a new role off half-back for the Saints.

... It didn’t matter. Hill, typically a dashing link man through the middle, was at ease in a new role at half-back, where he can counter-attack
Was this article written last year?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
damienc
Club Player

I think the club made a mistake not to play some of the newbies against the blue baggers.

There was nothing riding on this match and it would have been smart, to give them a taste of some real opposition rather than 'playing' against their own team-mates.

Unless the view is that none will debut this year.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 11:09pm I think the club made a mistake not to play some of the newbies against the blue baggers.

There was nothing riding on this match and it would have been smart, to give them a taste of some real opposition rather than 'playing' against their own team-mates.

Owens and the other newbies played for Sandy vs Carlton's VFL side.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Saintmike65
Club Player

There is still a massive issue with centre bounce clearances.
On average there is at least 20 to 30 centre bounces per game, which, if you allow the opposition to Walz out of their like our mids do…disaster is the result.
I cannot fathom how Seb Ross was at virtually every centre bounce..doubt he won a clearance all game!
Our best clearance player is Gresham, followed by Marshall following up his ruck work.
Another point, who the hell is our midfield coach?
Enright defence and Lade forward!!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross could be BOG and still have played a s*** game according to posters on here

He was our best Mid vs Carlton
Having said that the midfield was average and lowered its colours

damienc
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 26 Feb 2022 7:20am
damienc wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 11:09pm I think the club made a mistake not to play some of the newbies against the blue baggers.

I'm talking about the ones not the two's. Fairly pointless exercise playing for Sandy.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Coffield and Clark were supposed to be recruiting genius a few years ago. I’ll say it again, we continually fail to get bang for our buck from our top 10 draft picks.

Kings time is approaching and he has showed more promise than anyone we have drafted early. Otherwise look no further than this stat as to why we’re still a middling club

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sat 26 Feb 2022 9:17am

I'm talking about the ones not the two's. Fairly pointless exercise playing for Sandy.
Not really. They are still playing senior football in the State League.
To be honest I am happy to see our reserves playing with a bit of young talent in the lineup after the last two seasons where the reserves have barely played, if at all.

I am barracking for no injuries at the moment anyway after last season.

Who and how we play against Essendon is the litmus test of how we may go in Round 1.

Glad Sandringham had a good win anyway.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 26 Feb 2022 9:10am Ross could be BOG and still have played a s*** game according to posters on here

He was our best Mid vs Carlton
Having said that the midfield was average and lowered its colours
I agree B.M but he could get donuts and others would defend him to the end of the Earth

I personally don't feel comfortable with him when he has ball in hand

Watching the practice match IMMEDIATELY he got the ball he looked to pass it off - this may be team instructions - but his choices were not good ones - so his high possession count does not benefit the game.

― Aristophanes

damienc
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 26 Feb 2022 10:14am
damienc wrote: Sat 26 Feb 2022 9:17am

Not really. They are still playing senior football in the State League.
To be honest I am happy to see our reserves playing with a bit of young talent in the lineup after the last two seasons where the reserves have barely played, if at all.

I am barracking for no injuries at the moment anyway after last season.

Who and how we play against Essendon is the litmus test of how we may go in Round 1.

Glad Sandringham had a good win anyway.
Night and day difference between the two competitions.