Math thread v North

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Math thread v North

S.A Saint wrote:What im miffed about is gilbert being in the centre bounce.. For heavens sake get him out of there and give minch/acres in there!!
Minch was very poor after half time and Acres was poor all match.

At least Sammy has a real dip.

We would be in a whole lot more mess of pain without Dempster, Roberton and Fisher.

People critising Ross should look at guys like Saunders, Wight and Acres first.

And for the record. Sinclair should not have been picked in this side. He was obviously carrying an injury, now made worse.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 15 Aug 2015 6:20pm, edited 3 times in total.

Saint_J
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:What im miffed about is gilbert being in the centre bounce.. For heavens sake get him out of there and give minch/acres in there!!
this!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Some of St Kilda's most disappointing matches in my time have been against North Saynta. I agree with those on here which are agitating for those on the list with poor foot skills to get the axe. I thought that was why we got Pelchen in in the first place. But lo and behold, they are still here.
A bit harsh on Saunders though. He hasn't played in the seniors for a while and I would like him to get another go. What has Markworth done which screams out for senior selection? Murdoch, yes, but Markworth; I'm just not feeling it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Some of St Kilda's most disappointing matches in my time have been against North Saynta. I agree with those on here which are agitating for those on the list with poor foot skills to get the axe. I thought that was why we got Pelchen in in the first place. But lo and behold, they are still here.
A bit harsh on Saunders though. He hasn't played in the seniors for a while and I would like him to get another go. What has Markworth done which screams out for senior selection? Murdoch, yes, but Markworth; I'm just not feeling it.
Saunders has been tried before and found wanting at AFL level. He is a terrible kick and has poor decision making ability. He has no future on today's effort, whereas, Marksworth has never been given a chance to show what he has got.

Ross at least has good disposal skills, either by foot or by hand.

I share your pain too about Norf matches. I remember a particular wet and miserable game at the SCG against them and then driving back to Melbourne in the car with wet everything, including my underwear.

To make matters worse, my partner follows them.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 15 Aug 2015 6:44pm, edited 2 times in total.

kalsaint
Club Player

Game opinion.

We matched North in many stats areas.

Higher overall possession and inside 50's but poorer overall contested possession, clearances and tackles.

We had enough opportunities as reflected by inside 50's and the shots at goal.
We certainly lost the midfield battle as shown by clearances. Around the ground clearances were closer meaning we got more players around the contest. While we didn't need this in the first half in the centre clearances we needed change by the coaches earlier in the third quarter as their clearances became very effective on the scoreboard.
We dropped pressure from mid 3rd quarter onwards as evidenced by clearances, contested footy and lower tackle count (when trying to regain control of the ball).
We lost confidence and also effort to spread and run in a daring fashion and often when we did this we turned it over when going forward. When already forward, we continued to miss shots.
The team's passenger list grew as the game progressed. Take notice of this forwards as the defence players were spent and mentally rocked after the lost 1st half opportunity and the ease at which North won midfiled clearances in the second half.
Lots of improvement opportunity here. I include the coaching team here too as the tactics looked good early but failed from mid third quarter as we got trounced in the midfield thereafter and bigger bodied players were used or effective there.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

I wasn't miffed by this. We needed the change and older big bodied players were required. However there were several others who also needed to be changed out.

Agree that Minch needed to brought in earlier.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

very hard to cop such a turn around after half time...not that long ago I thought we weren't far behind Footscray...again i have had to reconsider :( Goddard, Hickey Weller positives but wow still a long way off the mark

Gilbert played a good game.

S.A Saint
Club Player

kalsaint wrote:
I wasn't miffed by this. We needed the change and older big bodied players were required. However there were several others who also needed to be changed out.

Would have rather they rotated guys like acres/wright/saunders/Mich as they are the future instead of a guy who is almost 30 and plays predominantly in the backline

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:very hard to cop such a turn around after half time...not that long ago I thought we weren't far behind Footscray...again i have had to reconsider :( Goddard, Hickey Weller positives but wow still a long way off the mark

Gilbert played a good game.
Yes he did.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Gilbert looked good in the midfield, he has strength and agility.

Some very promising signs today.

Hickey showed great marking skills today.

Goddard looked agile and strong, and I'm sure he'll keep getting better with experience

Weller & Newnes were also good

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Weller, Goddard and Hickey were certainly positives.

kalsaint
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:
kalsaint wrote:

Would have rather they rotated guys like acres/wright/saunders/Mich as they are the future instead of a guy who is almost 30 and plays predominantly in the backline
The reason I didn't mind Gilbert getting a go in midfield is the same as when Brendan Goddard was also used for this. Getting more leadership into the middle is crucial at times when the team is beset upon like today. If this is successful the team balance can return a little later in the game and the younger ones are left with no illusion in whats required in these circumstances. It didn't work well but then again nor did much else.

I also expected other changes with this to offset the Roos impressive midfield dominance but this didn't happen enough. Coaches outplayed today on this IMO.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

North are a better side than they have been given credit for, as they are not a big club with a massive following, are inconsistent and are flying under the radar - not news like the Bulldogs, GWS etc. I believe they are clearly the 5th best side in the league, and are better than last year. In that light we didn't do too badly. Now we get ready for the match against Geelong - and must give a four quarter effort, because they are going to go for the % boost after Adelaide's effort today.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We might have lost to Norf today however it is certain that Norf will never win a Premiership with their current playing squad and Brad Scott as coach and in 2 years time we will have gone past them

Our future looks brighter while they will be left treading water

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Long Term Injury
Club Player

Positives for me: Newnes starting to look more comfortable as a midfielder, his outside game was pretty strong. Mav's disposal in the last couple of weeks has improved out of sight and he is starting to look damaging with the ball. Same goes for Wright, I was really impressed with his composure, a lot less manic. Bruce although still a bit off i thought was better than he has been the last couple. and last but not leeast I thought Goddard had a great game. Looked composed, more comfortable with the ball instead of the immediate handpass. made a couple of mistakes, but is definitely on the up and up.

stjay
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:We might have lost to Norf today however it is certain that Norf will never win a Premiership with their current playing squad and Brad Scott as coach and in 2 years time we will have gone past them

Our future looks brighter while they will be left treading water
Agreed. They're massive pretenders. All the good sides put us to the sword early.
If we kicked straight and went into the sheds 40 points up at half time, the game would have been totally different.
They can count themselves a little lucky.
A bit "coulda, shoulda, woulda" but we muffed it today.

When we start beating these types of teams (and it won't be long) you watch the reality of a failed premiership bid dawn on these clubs.
There will be blood and heads will roll.

mambo2706
Club Player

About 14000 people attended with a head count of about 28000. About 13000 Tassie locals got into the game on a family ticket.

mambo2706
Club Player

About 14000 people attended with a head count of about 28000. About 13000 Tassie locals got into the game on a family ticket.