Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BenLong#21
Club Player

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

Cometh the hour. Cometh the man.
Whisperer. Breath your knowledge.

chico2001
Club Player

Sheil aint coming....move on......

bigred
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 11:07pm The latest news is that he is not leaving after his exit interview.
Well the reported "news" was that he did not request a trade in his exit interview.

Which means bugger all.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Pick 4 is massive overs for Shiel.

His career numbers are almost identical to Seb Ross. Aside from averaging only 1 more Clearance a week, they're freakishly similar.

Pick 4 for a mid that only averages 24 touches and can't kick goals is overs.

Do I want him? s*** yeah.

Would I pay pick 4 for him? No way. The club is nuts if they do.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we paid pick 3 for billings. shiel is a step up.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saint-stu
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:Pick 4 is massive overs for Shiel.

His career numbers are almost identical to Seb Ross. Aside from averaging only 1 more Clearance a week, they're freakishly similar.

Depends if we think Smith or Rankine will end up better than Shiel or not.

1ac46a38
bigred
Saintsational Legend

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
gutiguti

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 1:25pm Pick 4 is massive overs for Shiel.

gotta watch more gws if you think shiel and ross have comparable impact on games of footy.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

If Ross could kick worth a damn they might be comparable.

And probably the biggest knock on Shiel is his kicking... So that is saying something.

chico2001
Club Player

Which ever way you look at it, Shiel is not worth a pick 4

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 3:45pm Which ever way you look at it, Shiel is not worth a pick 4
Of course he is

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

gutiguti wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 3:27pm

gotta watch more gws if you think shiel and ross have comparable impact on games of footy.
Shiel uses it better, no doubt. But he doesn't hit the scoreboard any more than Ross does. Doesn't enter Inside 50 any more than Ross, and doesn't Rebound 50 any more either. His better usage doesn't resut in any more Score Involvements or Goal Assists as Ross either.

They have the same Kicks, same Marks - same freakin' everything! They're even almost exactly the same age!

It's actually quite freakish how they compare statistically.

The question probably is....would Shiel be better in a weak midfield where he gets more opportunity to get the nut and doesn't have to share it with Kelly, Coniglio, Ward etc., or does that actually make Shiel's life much easier given that the opposition have 4-5 mids to worry about?

Would his B+ numbers improve if he was the number 1 guy with us? Or would they get worse given he'd get the opposition's full attention every week?

Regardless, I don't think you'd give up a pick 4 in a supposed Super Draft for a guy that can't kick goals. You'd give up a pick 4 for a Josh Kelly, or a Martin, etc. The absolute cream of the crop. But Shiel isn't in that class in my opinion.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 2:26pm we paid pick 3 for billings. shiel is a step up.
Remember though that DS has had Callen Ward, Whitfield, Coniglio and Kelly beside him. There's a few jets there that can take some heat away from him.

Would DS have been as effective had he had Ross, Dunstan and Armo (with the exception of Stuv) beside him instead of the above group?

I suspect not.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

gutiguti wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 3:27pm

Spot on gutiguti, I go to at least 4-5 GWS home games per annum, and though I respect rodgergox view to compare Ross and Sheil is laughable.

Sheil wins his own ball, has got speed out of the contest and plays almost exclusively inside for GWS.

Ross is not in Sheils class and I believe #4 is well warranted.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What the hell is the point of giving up pick 4 for Shiel if we are not in the ‘window’? (can’t think of another word).

Like I said, we’d be back in contention for 9th. It’s a joke, but like all jokes there is a degree of truth in it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint-stu
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:What the hell is the point of giving up pick 4 for Shiel if we are not in the ‘window’? (can’t think of another word).

Like I said, we’d be back in contention for 9th. It’s a joke, but like all jokes there is a degree of truth in it.
If we get a few star midfielders and maybe one of our key forwards starts playing consistent footy. Most of the list play to their capability, we might just find ourselves in contention.

1ac46a38
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 5:14pm
desertsaint wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 2:26pm we paid pick 3 for billings. shiel is a step up.
Remember though that DS has had Callen Ward, Whitfield, Coniglio and Kelly beside him. There's a few jets there that can take some heat away from him.

Would DS have been as effective had he had Ross, Dunstan and Armo (with the exception of Stuv) beside him instead of the above group?

I suspect not.
yes its a fair point, but in the discussion over pick four and what its worth i think we overestimate the ability to get a star. looking over the years there's been a few, and a few flops, and lining up shiel against that list if he falls in the top half then he is definite value at pick 4. he's certainly better than his team mate mid coniglio who went pick 2.

no. 4 draftpick 2000-2018
luke livingston
graeme polak
tim walsh
farren ray
richard tambling
josh kennedy
matt leuenburger
cale morton
hamish hartlett
anthony morabito
andrew gaff
will hoskin-elliot
jimmy toumpas
marcus bontempelli
jarrod pickett
clayton oliver
ben ainsworth
luke davies-uniacke

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 5:54pm... to compare Ross and Sheil is laughable.
Ross: 30.1 disposals, 9.6 contested, 4.2 clearances, 5.43 turnovers, 472.67 metres gained, 4.71 I50s, 2.62 R50s, .14 goals
Shiel: 25.9 disposals, 9.3 contested, 4.5 clearances, 4.61 turnovers, 409.87 metres gained, 4.74 I50s, 1.61 R50s, .26 goals

LOL?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 6:26pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 5:54pm... to compare Ross and Sheil is laughable.
Ross: 30.1 disposals, 9.6 contested, 4.2 clearances, 5.43 turnovers, 472.67 metres gained, 4.71 I50s, 2.62 R50s, .14 goals
Shiel: 25.9 disposals, 9.3 contested, 4.5 clearances, 4.61 turnovers, 409.87 metres gained, 4.74 I50s, 1.61 R50s, .26 goals

LOL?
As I wrote, I see Sheil live at least 4 or 5 times per season.

Comparison is laughable.

Stats may be similar, watch him (Shiel) live then tell me I’m wrong.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 6:36pmStats may be similar, watch him (Shiel) live then tell me I’m wrong.
So it's less of a tangible difference and more of a vibe.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
chico2001
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 6:14pm

I suspect not.
yes its a fair point, but in the discussion over pick four and what its worth i think we overestimate the ability to get a star. looking over the years there's been a few, and a few flops, and lining up shiel against that list if he falls in the top half then he is definite value at pick 4. he's certainly better than his team mate mid coniglio who went pick 2.

luke livingston
graeme polak
tim walsh
farren ray
richard tambling
josh kennedy
matt leuenburger
cale morton
hamish hartlett
anthony morabito
andrew gaff
will hoskin-elliot
jimmy toumpas
marcus bontempelli
jarrod pickett
clayton oliver
ben ainsworth
luke davies-uniacke
There is no certainty of getting an eventual top player with a top 4 pick and you have to be bloody certain you dont waste it if that is the path the saints are going to take.But we have seen the acrimony on here if you get it badly wrong especially 1-2 picks

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 7:00pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 6:36pmStats may be similar, watch him (Shiel) live then tell me I’m wrong.
So it's less of a tangible difference and more of a vibe.
In summing up, it’s the constitution, it’s Mabo, it’s justice, it’s law, it’s the vibe and aah no that’s it, it’s the vibe. I rest my case. :wink:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 6:09pm What the hell is the point of giving up pick 4 for Shiel if we are not in the ‘window’? (can’t think of another word).

What about Shiel and another player?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Why trade for Shiel now and not wait for FA?
The answer to that is how many top end FA want to come to St Kilda?

As written previously I live between Sydney, QLD & VIC and go to 4 or 5 home GSW games a season and a few GC Suns.

Shiel is used by GWS as an inside mid almost exclusively and does all the team heavy lifting inside with Cal Ward. They use Kelly, Scully etc on the outside for run and carry and do a lot of this off half back as well.
Scully by the way is a running freak.

Shiel is seriously tough and strong but is also very explosive and can break out of a stoppage like few others in the comp. His kicking is good but not great, similar to Jack Steven (but lefty) but I believe it would be better if used differently.

I believe we would use Sheil more outside than inside as we have an abundance of inside mids and would use his pace, which GWS do not need on the outside. He would compliment our mids beautifully with his explosive play and leg speed.

Sorry for harping but the other guy to get is Setterfield, will be AA in 3-4 years.
Big, strong and very good. If he goes cheap and we don't have a crack at him I'll do a Terry Wallace.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 7:07pm
desertsaint wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 6:14pm

I suspect not.

luke livingston
graeme polak
tim walsh
farren ray
richard tambling
josh kennedy
matt leuenburger
cale morton
hamish hartlett
anthony morabito
andrew gaff
will hoskin-elliot
jimmy toumpas
marcus bontempelli
jarrod pickett
clayton oliver
ben ainsworth
luke davies-uniacke
There is no certainty of getting an eventual top player with a top 4 pick and you have to be bloody certain you dont waste it if that is the path the saints are going to take.But we have seen the acrimony on here if you get it badly wrong especially 1-2 picks
Agreed!

I for one don't think I have the strength to see us take another kid with "promise" at pick 4, but after four to five seasons, they are still just a kid with promise, whereas whoever went at pick 5 was already a jet after two seasons.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.