Jaxons come on down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons come on down

If Swans have agreed to pick 14 for Mitchell, how is Weller worth pick 10?

I'd trade our pick 10 for Mitchell but not for Weller. Might as well go to the draft.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Am not loving the silence of the ITK RE Hickey

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

If we trade Hickey then we are stuffed and proves that a bunch of small mids wouldn't know a quality ruck if they fell over one.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Hickey won't be traded

#1 Ryder fan
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Hickey won't be traded
Can I have a guarantee please?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Request:
Can't be bothered wading through a 100 pages of Knightmares phantom draft
Can someone give a quick breakdown of the draft crop this year?
It seems there is a fairly set top 2 or 3 with McLuggage Ainsworth and McGrath....I seem to remember Twomey saying the top 10-15 are fairly even
How deep does this draft go?

Nee!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote:Request:
Can't be bothered wading through a 100 pages of Knightmares phantom draft
Can someone give a quick breakdown of the draft crop this year?
It seems there is a fairly set top 2 or 3 with McLuggage Ainsworth and McGrath....I seem to remember Twomey saying the top 10-15 are fairly even
How deep does this draft go?
Top 7 or so could all be elite. The next 23 are solid and pretty even. Which is why we are trying to get two picks for 10. A top 30 pick has a reasonable chance of becoming a good player, I'd prefer to load up and get a gun in the top 6/7 but don't think its the popular/realistic option.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Cheers St Ick

Nee!
The Recruit
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
jaxons wrote:
The Recruit wrote:Thinking the BIG TRAde might be something like this

Armo, longer and pick 47 to GC for pick 8, 26 and 30...pick 10 to freo for Weller....future 2nd round for Steele

This is a big win for us if it gets done....
Sure is, that's why it won't happen.
You must think people at Gold Coast are pretty stupid.
You think they are going to give up 3 picks under 30 for a 29 year old midfielder, a ruckman who played VFL football only in 2016, and they get back pick 47!
Yes
Might not get 30 but I would hope the saints would be trying for 8
Also I don't entirely agree on your assessment of longer...he is an afl player who had a bad run this year and was only held out by a very very good ruckman in Hickey....

So that's a yes then you think the Suns are stupid? :)
well there is always hope they are :D but something like that trade is more what i was saying.....the pick numbers could vary I understand that but would be happy if we could retain a top 10 pick and till get weller as well as a secomd roud pick instead of 40's

The Recruit
Club Player

One player that doesn't exactly fit at the moment and has enormous currency is Josh Bruce.
He is also much loved and a forward and has been traded before.

It could be Bruce...given Membry has come on and Bruce does seem out of sorts at times...and Paddy will be a champ....not sure Bruce, Paddy and Membry work every time especially if we want to play two rucks with one that goes forward.

Would hate to see him go but would understand the trade if we could secure a top 10 and weller.....dockers might do pick 10 and Bruce for Weller and 8....

Or with Bruce being a lot more value than Armo.......Bruce, Longer and pick 47 to GC for pick 8, 26 and 30...then pick 10 to freo for Weller....future 2nd round for Steele.

I think i have nailed it.

amusingname
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:One player that doesn't exactly fit at the moment and has enormous currency is Josh Bruce.

It could be Bruce...given Membry has come on and Bruce does seem out of sorts at times...and Paddy will be a champ....not sure Bruce, Paddy and Membry work every time especially if we want to play two rucks with one that goes forward.

Would hate to see him go but would understand the trade if we could secure a top 10 and weller.....dockers might do pick 10 and Bruce for Weller and 8....

Or with Bruce being a lot more value than Armo.......Bruce, Longer and pick 47 to GC for pick 8, 26 and 30...then pick 10 to freo for Weller....future 2nd round for Steele.

Nailed it is a fair overstatement. Trading Bruce would be one of the more short sighted moves I have seen suggested. Membrey came on this year in large part because of Bruce's hard work creating space in the forward line for him.

You don't have to trade someone just because they have currency, you have to know what you are getting in return is more important to the future of the team.

The Recruit
Club Player

lets just see what comes of it

The Recruit
Club Player

Also it seems ablett might make a return to the cattery....which might change a few GC picks....?

Grrrrr
Club Player

12 minutes ago
STEELE A SAINTER

Jack Steele has just become a St Kilda player.

GWS has received St Kilda’s 2017 future second round pick in exchange for midfielder Jack Steele.

http://www.afl.com.au/trade/trade-talk

The Recruit
Club Player

Grrrrr wrote:12 minutes ago
STEELE A SAINTER

GWS has received St Kilda’s 2017 future second round pick in exchange for midfielder Jack Steele.

awesome!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:One player that doesn't exactly fit at the moment and has enormous currency is Josh Bruce.

If we want to go after quality we have to be prepared to trade a quality player that we can afford to lose. I agree that it's the area where we have the most quality.

I wouldn't recommend it but we won't get much back trying to trade the likes of Armitage and Longer.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CarlTaughtMeEnglish wrote:
Hawks currently hold picks 14, 23 and 36. GC might think 10 looks better than 14. .
Hawks traded pick 14 to the Swans two days ago for Tom Mitchell (plus a TBC later pick or exchange of picks).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I reckon you hit your thumb. :wink:

Bruce and Membre play different roles.

Bruce is a genuine 197cm key position forward who is an aerobic beast., and perfectly suited to playing the roaming role of today's CHF.

Membrey is a medium forward and at 188cm is 9cm shorter. He has also shown that he is a dab hand at the roving snap goal and is more than a mark and kick player.

Paddy will be the FF. The three contrast with each other and provide a great mix of options for marking power with mobility.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:
Grrrrr wrote:12 minutes ago
STEELE A SAINTER

awesome!
Steele for next years pick 36 seems like a good deal to me.
That pick could slip to 40 after say 4 free agency compensations like this year.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

I reckon you hit your thumb. :wink:

Bruce and Membre play different roles.

Bruce is a genuine 197cm key position forward who is an aerobic beast., and perfectly suited to playing the roaming role of today's CHF.

Membrey is a medium forward and at 188cm is 9cm shorter. He has also shown that he is a dab hand at the roving snap goal and is more than a mark and kick player.

Paddy will be the FF. The three contrast with each other and provide a great mix of options for marking power with mobility.

No he missed his thumb and hit his head.
The doctors prognosis is not good.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-14/g ... -deal-done

Giant becomes a Saint: Steele deal done
ST KILDA has secured tough midfielder Jack Steele from Greater Western Sydney in a swap for a future second-round pick in next year's NAB AFL Draft.
Paperwork was lodged on Friday to get the 20-year-old to St Kilda, in a move that will bolster the Saints' developing engine room.
As reported by AFL.com.au on Wednesday, St Kilda is also keen to snare Koby Stevens after the Western Bulldogs onballer nominated Seaford to be his third AFL home.
Steele played 17 games for the Giants after being recruited from Canberra and was in the selection mix for finals before a foot injury wiped-out his season.
In 10 appearances this season, he averaged 15 disposals, four tackles and booted eight goals.
"We’re thrilled to have Jack join the Saints and with his ability to play both in the midfield and forward, we think he’ll strongly complement our young, emerging list while filling a key need," St Kilda chief operating officer Ameet Bains said.
"Jack’s had some strong performances and at only 20-years-old we think he has a lot of potential to continue to develop and be a quality player for the club."
Steele is a GWS academy product and was taken with pick 23 in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft after North Melbourne made a bid for him with pick 15.
He is the first of several likely departures from the Giants this NAB AFL Trade Period, with the expansion club forced to reduce its list size and bring its salary cap into line with the rest of the competition.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Bruce is an untouchable. The 5 year deal he signed is the clue. One of the few on our list who can run with roo like endurance. Critical to our next challenge. How many 197 cm running beasts who can take a big grab and kick a bag of goals are there on the market? If you find one we can afford, then get rid of Bruce, by all means. I wish all the best of luck,

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
The Craw
Club Player

North Melbourne have been very quiet haven't they ..... hmmmmmm

Not Craw, CRAW!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Bruce is important, but needs to get a few more goals on the board next season, as do most of our forwards beside Membrey. Paddy could be a champion, but he has chronic concussion issues now, and maybe we need to be on the lookout for a FF as insurance?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
st.rick wrote:
Myron Gaines wrote:
older saint wrote:interesting with where we sit as a club.
Armo has been thrown up to GC for a top 10 pick.

Moorabbin Ghost a respected ITK on Bigfooty said that " a well loved player is a chance to go"

We are now just speculating that the player could be Armo as he also said the Steele trade is being held up by the O'Meara trade which of course involves Gold Coast which Armo has been linked to.
Which has just proven to be crap.